5.0 out of 5 stars Great script, some real zingers
Published on June 14 2009 by M. Fenc

3.0 out of 5 stars lost in Austen
Cette version est très fantaisiste, mais pour les amoureux de Austen, c'est une histoire qui arrive à nous plaire.....
c'est facile à écouter et assez contemporain.....
Published 20 months ago by Marielle Daigneault

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great script, some real zingers, June 14 2009
M. Fenc (Toronto, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost in Austen (DVD)
This is a very entertaining show. The writers really went to town with some of the "Austenesque" dialogue, there are some zingers that you can see the actors ripping off with great relish. I found all the characters to be very winning right from the beginning, especially Bingley. Darcy is especially cold and brusque, I think people forget that he's supposed to be stiff and unlikeable at the beginning.

I think it helps to be a big Pride and Prejudice fan to really get every little joke in this production. You can tell they had a lot of fun with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lost in Austen-For Ladies Night, May 27 2009
This review is from: Lost in Austen (DVD)
I thoroughly enjoyed this adaptation of Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice". The twenty-first century characters were realistically unrefined and sarcastic, which made them all the more relatable. I appreciated that they also took the time to punctuate that although lovely, Austen-Era England had many deficiencies in comparison to today's standard of living.
As visually enticing as this mini-series was, I recommend more than one viewing, as there is a great deal of pithy dialogue that goes unnoticed the first time around.
Word to the wise, ladies watch this with a group of girlfriends...with no possibility of your husband walking in, unexpectedly. Trust me, you won't be able to enjoy the film over the snarky comments and eye rolling. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Enjoyable, Aug. 28 2010
This review is from: Lost in Austen (DVD)
If you're obsessed with accuracy and looking for a perfect Jane Austen rendition, move on. But if you've ever sat and read the book, saw an Austen movie, and closed your eyes and wished a thousand times that you could go back in time and live in Jane Austen's day, this is great entertainment. How many of us wish we could be part of Darcy's world? Meet a man with manners or live in a world without TV's, iPods, computers and learn what the true intercourse of conversation meant? How true it would be that our modern lifestyles would actually make it very hard for us to adapt into a time and place we merely romanticize over and over again. How odd those characters would think our mannerisms were in return!

The series does just that, only Amanda's arrival sort of "buggers" up the story, if you get my drift. Nothing goes like it should and she tries to fix it all to the way it's suppose to be written in the book. Darcy, of course, is wonderfully attractive, the absolute snob, who can't figure out why he's "tormented" and attracted to a woman he frankly considers vulgar. It's fiction living inside of fiction - a phenomenal idea.

All I can say to the die-hard Austen fans, is lighten up folks! It's meant to be fun and enjoyable, not a perfect rendition of the original. It's called creative liberty. What always amazes me about obsessed fans of certain genre, is that they treat the originals as if they were written by the finger of God on stone and we're not to change, alter, or enjoy it in any other manner. That, I think, is a great shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost in Austen, March 14 2010
A. Gengler "movie fan" (Wauwatosa, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost in Austen (DVD)
This production is amazing! I just loved it! This is a movie I will watch over and over again! I think even viewers who do not know Jane Austen will enjoy the humor in the film. Those who are Jane Austen fans will appreciate the authenticity of the period parts and the incorporation of today's reality into the Pride and Prejudice story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!!!, Dec 28 2009
Sally Macrae "Rmac" (Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost in Austen (DVD)
If you are a real fan of Pride and Prejudice you can not help but love this funny reworking of the story. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars In love with Lost in Austen, March 15 2011
This review is from: Lost in Austen (DVD)
A wonderful escape to the Jane Austen classic with a fun and witty twist. Jane Austen is probably 'turning in her grave' as Amanda Price the main character exclaims, but it is a well made fantasy escape that plays with the original story line. A great way to test your Pride and Prejudice knowledge if you're a fan of the Austen novel, but also a fun introduction to the original story with a 21st century character taking the lead. Fabulous!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucky to be Lost in Austen, March 7 2009
Madison J. Martin "FallaDeAngelique" (Kamloops, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost in Austen (DVD)
For all Jane Austen lovers here is a fresh take on an old favourite, some traditionalist's may not fall in love with this younger adaptation, but Lost in Austen will win you with it's wit, creativity and new depth. When worlds clash we meet Elizabeth Bennet who's dying to escape the pages of pride and prejudice and in her place we find our new herione. She's not quite so heroic, she's actually quite unintentionally meddlesome. However if not for her meddling we would not get see yet another dashing darcy pond scene, witness a truer side to our villainous Wickham, and perhaps best of all renew our passion for a good romance.
Cheers and Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this movie!, June 17 2014
This review is from: Lost in Austen (DVD)
For all who would look, read, hear all Jane Austen, this will not disappoint.
Fun twist on Pride and Prejudice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, romantic and absolutely enjoyable!, April 28 2014
This review is from: Lost in Austen (DVD)
I bought this because I love Jane Austen's stories and I'd caught parts of some episodes on TV & enjoyed what I saw. However I really wanted to catch the whole story from the beginning. I've just finished watching it & absolutely loved it! Thoroughly romantic, and fresh take on a familiar story. So well done and acted. It's now one of the favourites in my collection of Austen productions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny twist on Jane Austen, March 9 2014
This review is from: Lost in Austen (DVD)
Loved the series so much on TV that I had to order it. What if Elizabeth Bennet somehow landed in present-day London and switched places with someone. How would we manage without a cell phone, tooth brush, and other things we take for granted.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Lost in Austen
Lost in Austen by Jemima Rooper (DVD - 2009)
CDN$ 18.99 CDN$ 17.03