5.0 out of 5 stars Rating The Special Features
I'm not going to review the movie here or go over key plot points. I'm also not going to talk about how gorgeous Robert Pattinson is. We've all seen it, we know it by heart, and we all love it. It's our brand of heroin. I am however going to tell you what I think about the special features.

This 2 disk Special edition includes a ton of goodies guaranteed to...
Published on March 22 2009 by Buggy

3.0 out of 5 stars Better and worse than expected
First off, I'm not a teenager and I haven't read the book. I watched the movie with the rest of my family, because my teenaged daughter insisted that we should, and assured us that we'd all love it. (In return for this, she has to watch Dracula ...)

Published on March 24 2009 by R. Lloyd

3.0 out of 5 stars Better and worse than expected, March 24 2009
R. Lloyd "English Expat" (BC, Canada) - See all my reviews

Actually, I watched it twice, because it was both much better and much worse than I expected. It's clearly a teenage-girl wish-fulfilment fantasy, starring teenage actors, so you don't expect anything very thought-provoking, any serious characterization or (probably) any Oscar-winning performances. But I could be wrong about that.

The acting is first-rate, in particular Rob Pattinson's portrayal of the dark, brooding outcast who "doesn't want to be a monster". The barely-controlled anger, the pathos and the vulnerability he brought to Edward were quite outstanding. I'd also give five stars to Cam Gigandet's James, the Tracker, whose combination of a feline predator with a sadistic sicko was also superb. The developed relationship between Edward and Bella is everything that teenaged first-love should be -- desperately intense, sweet, touching, and sometimes laden with embarrassment. They were great. I thought Kristen Stewart's Bella was OK -- but the character is a wimp (the kind that just wants to be protected and loved and cherished for ever but doesn't seem to do a great deal to deserve it) so she didn't have much to work with.

On the down side, the "willing suspension of disbelief" takes a real beating with this movie. Some of it is rather obvious and my daughter tells me you just have to live with it -- like the fact that Edward has been 17 for "a while" but still doesn't act any older than this. (I mean, he's been going to high school now for *ninety years*? Doesn't he get bored with it? Doesn't he fall asleep during the ninetieth repetition of Grade 11 math? Since they obviously aren't there to meet other kids, why don't they pretend to homeschool? How come no-one notices that they never eat their cafeteria food? How come they still behave like teenagers after ninety years? Because if they didn't, there wouldn't be any story, of course.) Bella appears to go from outright dislike to undying love in about two days, which made me want to shake her and tell her to grow up. (You've known him how long??) The real let-down, though, is the special effects. The first time Edward raced up a hill at superhuman speed, three of us (everyone except my daughter) just fell apart laughing, it was so patently, absurdly, just a speeded-up film. It looks like Charlie Chaplin. Leaping from a balcony, or across an enormous room, was unbelievably fake. (Real jumps have a trajectory; only a zip-wire doesn't.) With the best will in the world, it's hard to immerse yourself in an adventure that suddenly springs these awful gaffes on you.

On the whole, though, I quite enjoyed this. Of course, 99% of teenage girls adore it, but their parents and siblings can watch it too without being overly shocked or appalled. Just try not to laugh or comment too loudly, because it annoys the teenage daughter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rating The Special Features, March 22 2009
Buggy "SUNNIE Day reader" (British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

This 2 disk Special edition includes a ton of goodies guaranteed to please any Twilight fan. I have to say that this was the first time watching the movie that I didn't compare it to the book and I found that it stands very well on its own. Even if you've never heard of Twilight you will enjoy this. I had also forgotten how awesome Charlie is and I noticed that the special effects don't look quite as cheesy on the small screen as they did in the theatre.

DISK 1 (122 minutes)

EXTENDED SCENES: (5 of them) With director's introduction. Too bad these couldn't have been left in. Including an extended meadow scene, In Edward's bedroom, James don't play with your food and don't read Charlie's mind.

AUDIO COMMENTARY: With director Catherine Hardwicke, Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart. Watch the movie with Rob, Kristen and Catherine. This is really funny stuff with alot of teasing regarding Rob's driving capabilities, his eyebrows and aging (where's Efron?)

MUSIC VIDEOS: Muse-Black hole (Stephanie Meyer introduces video), Linkin Park- Leave out all the rest (very cool live performance), Paramore-Decode(great video with movie clips as seen on Much Music)

DISK 2 (78 minutes)

7 PART DOCUMENTARY: (55 minutes) The journey from page to screen. My favourite extra on the disk. Really interesting behind the scenes look at the making of the film. The stunts, the baseball game, the music, interviews with the cast and tons of unseen footage.

DELETED SCENES: (5 of them) Again, too bad they couldn't have been left in especially the sexy finger biting meadow scene. Also a neat scene with Carlisle and Esme and the infamous "she's not one of us Edward."

COMIC CON PHENOMENOM: (8 minutes) Where the screaming began. 6000 fans have a Q&A with Rob, Kristen, Taylor, Edi, Michelle, Cam, Catherine and Stephanie Meyer.

THEATRICAL CAMPAIGN: (12 minutes) Teaser trailers as seen on TV, Sneak peaks (5 in all)

Highly recommended, If you're a fan of Twilight than these extras are what you've been waiting for. Bring on New Moon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great story weak acting, July 14 2009
Cheryl Dumais (Calgary, AB Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NEW Twilight (DVD) (DVD)
I am not a teenager but I am a Twilight fan. I loved the books. This movie is entertaining and worth watching but the acting is pretty weak. Be prepared for some pretty corny (at my age anyway) scenes. Just the same the scenery is beautiful and the movie was well cast as far as appearance goes. Bella is pretty lackluster. She says some of her lines so fast that it seems like she isn't even feeling anything. She doesn't appear all that impressed with Edward. Edward is gorgeous but at my age I don't want to see James Dean again. His acting is much too much like Dean. I thought he was much more natural and believable in Harry Potter as Cedric Diggory. All the same I enjoyed the movie but don't expect great acting. Sit back and accept that it was written for a young audience and for them I am guessing it is just right.

4.0 out of 5 stars love this movie, June 5 2009
P. Lee (Canada) - See all my reviews
Not a teenage myself, quite sceptical about vampire movie, but borrowed the DVD from friend and watched it. After seeing it, I decided to buy my own DVD because I would love to watch it again and also ordered the books. Looking forward to seeing New Moon.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wake me when it's over?, Dec 20 2009
Foreverwolf (British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
Hot actors, check. SFX, semi check. Evil Vamps go good cliche plot line, check.
My first mistake was sitting down to watch the movie. My second was actually sitting through the entire thing, constantly hoping it would get better. My third was not demanding a refund.
Twilight was drawn out and just plain boring. Sure, lots of eye candy, if you can get past the teenage emo that resonates throughout the entire thing. The plot was just one cliche after another.
The one or two not exactly thrilling fight scenes were probably the highlight of the movie. Which isn't saying much. The acting was absolutely terrible.
I'm not usually so harsh in my reviews, and generally tend to find at least one good thing to put in. Twilight has left me with no options. It's a snorefest from beginning to end. I can't even say it's worth watching once.
My fourth mistake, as it turns out, was going to see the second movie, New Moon. I wanted to be fair, knowing Twilight was number one in a series, and those can sometimes be tiresome as they have a lot to set up for, characters to establish, plot lines to deliver. My faith was misplaced.
This movie definitely falls into my 'Rent First' category if you are 16 or under. Any older and you might as well save your money for something that won't send you into flashbacks of all the reasons you're so very glad high school is behind you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Twilight! WHAT AN GOOD MOVIE!, Aug. 17 2009
Aaron B. (Toronto Canada) - See all my reviews
Okay so its not 100% true to the book. So a few things changed. So what! I read the book after and I felt that the movie did a amazing job! What can I say! Robert Pattinson is SO HOT! And I felt Kirsten Steward did a great job as well. Over all it has become one of my favorite movies and I can not say enough how much I love it! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

3.0 out of 5 stars It's just wrong!!!, May 17 2009
This review is from: Twilight / Twilight - La Fascination (Bilingual) [Blu-ray] (Sous-titres français) (Blu-ray)
Received the wrong item and when I called to clear things up with a representative, I was told to wait for the item. But it's been months and haven't gotten any DVD in the mail.... I'm not very happy... Don't get me wrong, I love the movie but it's just not right to put something that says 2disc special edition then give customers a single disc.

3.0 out of 5 stars Twilight (2-Disc Special Edition), Aug. 12 2009
Hi,
I must say I really enjoyed the book, but the movie? Not so much... Don't get me wrong! I bought it, watch it and enjoy it more often than I would care to confess, but I must say that I also think it's not the best movie ever. When you've read the book, you understand what's going on and what the actors are trying to do even though the acting isn't all that good. I think that in this case, less would have been more. This being said, if you're a fan, you'll probably get over the acting and love it. Unless you're like me and loved the book so much you can't help to be disapointed. The photography is fantastic, the music hypnotic and Edward a feast for the eyes. But I can understand that people not familiar with the books not to be all that impressed. I'm hoping the actors will get more comfortable in their roles for the second movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars Twilight, June 3 2009
Watched it the first time at the movies.Then my daughter got all the books for christmas.So I read Twilight.Had to buy the movie when it came out on dvd.It is so like the book.Its great to watch it again to see the things you missed the first time.So looking forward to see New Moon.

2.0 out of 5 stars Alright movie just don't compare it to the book, Jan. 23 2010
J. Galka "Random Reader" (Edmonton, AB) - See all my reviews
This movie is alright if you haven't read the book. I didn't find a lot of comparisons to the book and it seemed like even the slightest detail was changed. I found the movie rather dissapointing considering how into the book I was and how fast I read it. There was a lot of awkwardness in the movie and I found some of the scenes didn't fade into the other smoothly. I watched the deleted scenes and then rewatched the movie and I found that some of those scenes shouldn't have been cut out as they smoothed out some of the plots. I liked it better the second time around but still didn't enjoy it as much as I would've liked to. New Moon was done a lot better and I would definatley give that 5 stars but as for Twilight 1-2 stars since it could've been done a lot better then it was.

Twilight  / Twilight - La Fascination  (Bilingual) [Blu-ray] (Sous-titres français)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 16.98