4.0 out of 5 stars Wish they had this snow for Vancouver 2010!
This was a very entertaining and suspenseful action thriller. Set in Antarctica at a science research facility at the South Pole. It was a "who done it" that keeps us guessing up to the last bit of the movie. Kate Beckinsale plays a US Marshall bored with her day to day job at the facility. Nothing exciting ever happens around there. Until .....

The...
Published on Feb. 27 2010 by Sheila J. Croome

3.0 out of 5 stars good flick for the price
Published 21 months ago by sheamurai

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish they had this snow for Vancouver 2010!, Feb. 27 2010
Sheila J. Croome (Cameron, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews

The trailer makes us think it's a science fiction "what was encountered under the ice" type of film but it's not that at all. No aliens here - just misbehaving humans. Still, it was enjoyable but there are some gruesome bloody body scenes. Not for young people to watch. Well done with a good cast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whiteout BD, Feb. 22 2010
C. Ouellet "Charlie" (Campbellton, NB, Canada) - See all my reviews
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ce commentaire est de: Whiteout [Blu-ray] (Sous-titres français) [Import] (Blu-ray)
I received within 2 weeks; I would rate A++. I loved the movie, great movie to own in Blu Ray.

C.O.

3.0 out of 5 stars good flick for the price, March 1 2013
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
This was a decent movie, I don't regret buying it but likely would have been somewhat disappointed had I paid full price for it. The story was ok, but somehow I never did feel convinced of Beckinsale in this role. The movie never engaged me and I found myself wondering as to the likelihood of some of the actions/scenarios rather than being sucked in to the story and uncaring of the details.

A decent enough flick to pass an evening, but I won't be recommending it to any of my friends.

2.0 out of 5 stars Running along a rope line in a snow storm isn't all that exciting, June 27 2011
A. Kydd (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
What happens when you bring together a decent cast with a weak script? You end up with a luke-warm film like Whiteout.
The original graphic novel (I read it after seeing the film) is, unto itself, a decent, but not entirely note-worthy book which does make me wonder why they decided it was worth turning into a film.
The reality is that the film tries to make as much of what it got originally from the graphic novel, skipping some parts, but not really adding anything more to it. In the past, I've personally been critical of films based on graphic or regular novels that stray too much from the original story, but then there also the films like Bladerunner, Fightclub, Children of Men or The Bourne films which take what they need from the original story and then evolve into something completely unique and new which is also fantastic.
I think that they should have been braver with taking liberties in regards to the story.

If you want to see Kate Beckinsale in something decent, see Underworld. If you want a great heroine, see Hanna. If you want a good action/suspense film, see Ronin or The Bourne films.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice to see Whiteout wasn't a Wipeout, March 5 2010
David A. Cochrane "The Hitman" (Quispamsis, New Brunswick, Canada) - See all my reviews
Don't you think she looks like Jennifer Anniston on the DVD cover? Not a bad movie. There's not a lot around except people when you film in the snow. I think they did a good job of keeping it interesting given the fact most of the movie took place inside. Kate Beckinsale has a great figure and plays the Marshal well. If I hadn't seen it I'd buy it. Not a dud.

Whiteout [Blu-ray] (Sous-titres français) [Import]