5.0 out of 5 stars It's the little things that make this show so funny, June 16 2006
Torval Mork (Calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
When watching arrested development, you are rewarded for paying attention to the details. The writers use the same careful elements employed by the crew at the Simpsons, weaving little gems of pop-culture minutia into the storyline that end up defining the story at the end of the show. Tactics such as the build-up of the rock-paper-scissors decision making tool through-out the course of an episode, culminating with a larger than life size pair of scissors in the hands of Michael at then end - what a hilarious visual, and un-expected turn of events. Also - the episode when Michael is moping along the street to the Peanuts piano-sad-song with a dog house in the background and a snoopy-like dog passed out on the roof. Damn thats funny! Oh - and Ben Stiller as Tony Wonder, conjuring up a Subway coupon with only a few stickers on it to the amazement of Buster, who only has praise for his lame generosity - comic genius. I've watched seasons 1 and 2 dozens of times, and am always finding silly little quirks. David Cross as Tobias is insane - if you like his brand of lunacy you really must watch every episode of Mr. Show's four season run, a truly original sketch comedy series.

I take a slight bit of satisfaction that this series didn't cater to a larger audience - for if more people really latched on to this style of humor then more shows would try to replicate it, and the essence of this type of comedy would be constantly watered down and ruined. While it is unfortunate that it only lasted a few seasons - at least it never got boring - and each episode packed a wallop of a comedic punch, the effects of which last even after repeated viewings. I couldn't give a higher recommendation for a series box-set to have in your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars A PERFECT season 2!, Oct. 13 2005
KDakota630 "KDakota630" (London, ON) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This show truly is a gem. It was supposed to have been cancelled after season one, but emmy nominations (and win for best new comedy) probably saved it that year. I'm not sure if it was cancelled at the end of season 2 or not (which is why there are only 18 episodes when the usual season order is for 22) but luckily again, Fox renewed it. I'm not sure what they're commitment to the show is, but hopefully they'll keep it around. It would be a travesty if they cancelled it at this point.
I pre-ordered this set ASAP and have only watched the first 3 episodes thus far (I've only owned the set for 2 days), but I've watched the show religeously on Fox and I can honestly say season 2 is even superior to season 1. Perhaps the producers knew it could be the last season before being cancelled and went all out in making these.
The only potential drawback to Arrested Development would be that you have to pay attention. The jokes and set-ups come fairly quickly and if you're not watching, you'll miss them. If you like quick, witty, intelligent humour, this show is for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Universe, you've done it again!", Oct. 14 2005
By A Customer
5 stars. What else can I say? Never before this had I seen a television show that reduced me to hysterical laughter at the mere thought of a line, days after watching it. Beautiful writing, impecable acting... it's one of the great tragedies of our time that more people don't watch this show!
So maeby I'm exaggerating just a bit, but that's how strongly I feel. For bleep sake, buy this DVD! Unless you're too chicken ("coka coka caw!")

5.0 out of 5 stars Give me a Gob!, April 17 2006
Emily (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
I watch A LOT of television and Arrested Development is by far the funniest, most brilliant show I've ever seen. This is definitely a set to BUY so you can watch it over and over and over (seriously, I watch the DVDs every day). I can't wait for the third season to come out on DVD so I can become even more obsessive.
Save our Bluths!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best comedy in years, Nov. 13 2005
By A Customer
This is the best comedy since Seinfeld. Everything on tv is so boring and all look the same except for that show. I can believe that this season could be the last. I recommend to purchase the first and the second season.

4.0 out of 5 stars Waaay better than the first season, June 5 2014
The first season was not great, but finally, things are getting better in season 2. I often find myself laughing like crazy while watching this. I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the little things that make this so funny, Feb. 9 2014
Torval Mork (Calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT SHOW!!!, Dec 11 2005
By A Customer
Season 2 is the better of the first 2 seasons. This show has to be one of the funniest shows i ever saw... cant believe its being canceled. anyone whos a fan of this show HAS TO BUY THIS DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid as Iraq, April 6 2010
Andrew Tucker (Victoria, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
I'm not prone to hyperbole, but I honestly think this is the funniest show ever made. Season two is my personal favorite of the three, and has most of my favorite episodes. Whenever i'm feeling down I can always get out an Arrested Development DVD and it will bring a smile to my face. The lines go by so fast you may miss them on the first go round, which means a lot of the episodes get funnier the more you watch them. Ultimately I guess that was the show's undoing: it was too smart for television. I keep hoping for an Arrested Development reunion, but with each passing year it becomes less and less likely...

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd argue for this as funniest - and smartest - TV comedy series of all time, June 1 2011
K. Gordon - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Often brilliantly funny, inventive, surreal series about a rich family gone terribly wrong, and the one
sane one trying to hold things together. Sort of what you might have gotten if George Bernard Shaw,
Kaufman and Hart and Monty Python had teamed up to do a spin on a traditional sitcom.

The acting is terrific, from top to bottom. Even producer Ron Howard's narration is great.

Not every joke works, but as it gets weirder and weirder (and funnier and funnier), all I could think is "how
the hell did they ever get this on network TV? And thank god they did!"

The second season, goes through the roof much more often than the first, with more clever twists and ideas per episode,
and more aggressive weirdness.

Arrested Development: Season Two