5.0 out of 5 stars Great series
Published on Aug. 12 2009 by D. Vandervelde

3.0 out of 5 stars Alright
From looking at the cover and seeing the preview for this dvd i thought it was going to be amazing. It was just alright. There are things in there that i haven't seen from the planet earth dvd and life so that was good. I really didn't like all of the death that happens. they really don't shy away from that in this set.
Published 16 months ago by kao83

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series, Aug. 12 2009
D. Vandervelde (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
These 6 videos definitely have a Planet Earth feel to them, and to be honest, my girlfriend and I may even like these a little more than the Planet Earth series. The images may not be quite as striking and amazing, but they are still incredible... what we like better is that these videos follow one theme throughout the entire 50 minute episode, rather than jump all over the place like Planet Earth does. Also, each episode has an additional 10 minute "diary", which shows how the shots were captured.

Some people on other review sights complained that these are only 1080i instead of 1080p... I for one would have never known had I not read about it. The images are still amazing and are still HD to me.

Not everyone will like these videos better than Planet Earth, but if you liked those videos, you surely won't be disappointed with these ones.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really quite amazing!, Feb. 2 2010
jodt (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
The only reason I didn't give this 5 stars is because of something I noticed during "The Great Salmon Run" episode; ugly vertical lines. It seems that some of the video clips might have been used from separate/other sources, specifically the slow motion shots of the bald eagles catching salmon, and some slow motion shots of the bears. At first I thought there was something wrong with my new tv/playstation 3 setup...but after a little Google searching I found a couple other people noticing the same issue with the vertical lines on this particular blu-ray disc, and specifically during the salmon run episode. However, I think this is one of my favorite episodes in the series, so I can easily get over a couple shots with lines through them.

In short, just in case anyone else comes across this issue, it is not your tv or player...it is just the video on the blu-ray disc. I have never noticed this issue with anything else I play. Hopefully someone with the same problem will read this review.

On a more positive note, overall I love this series! It is very similar to Planet Earth, but most of the amazing events are based on the migration of many species and the changing of the seasons in different locations around the globe. There are some really amazing shots and really amazing events, definitely worth getting this blu-ray.

One of the best features of this series is the Diaries, which can sometimes be more intriguing than the amazing events themselves! The Diaries for the salmon run and the great feast are amazing. The camera crews are really quite privileged to do the things they do. I almost think BBC should release a series devoted to documenting their camera crews. It's just incredible, some of the things they go through.

Another bonus, as mentioned in other reviews, is the calibration walk-through included on the first disc. If you haven't done anything like this with your tv, do it before you watch this! It really makes a difference...and remember to disable any special "enhancement" settings your tv might have, like "enhanced contrast" or "super white" or anything along those lines. Any video released on blu-ray wasn't intended to be viewed with all these enhancements and is calibrated for performance without any special extra treatment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome on Blu-ray, Sept. 22 2012
This 6 episode set is amazing to say the least. Boasting all new footage with many close ups in each episode, leaves one in awe. I actually prefer it over The Planet Earth for that reason. The HD (1080) quality is consistent through the entire series with no grainy or poor focus shots, which were prevalent in the Planet Earth series. Included with each episode is a 10 min feature (Diaries) on the filming of. Another bonus, as mentioned in other reviews here, is the calibration walk-through included on the first disc. It doesn't really measure up to the "Spears and Munsil" one I've already done, but for those who haven't, it's better than not. And picking this upon Amazon for only 22.99 is the icing on the cake. You can't afford not to, and you definitely won't be disappointed. 5 Big Stars!

3.0 out of 5 stars Alright, Dec 1 2012
This review is from: Nature's Most Amazing Events (DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved the Bald Eagles fishing!, May 18 2012
Bought this for my wife at the same time as "Frozen Planet"; I didn't know anything about it but figured it was BBC so it should be good. We've all been enjoying it and I think it's the most watched BBC series here in my house. Some of the cinematography is so amazing, you'll want to watch it over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful photography, March 26 2012
As good or better filming than Planet Earth. All 6 parts are as Amazing as the title suggests. I like how they end each segment with a short feature on how the filming was done. It shows how painstaking and patient the photographers has to be to get such shots. Well worth adding to your collection. We will watch these over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, April 1 2014
Awesome show's. Great quality on a good tv. BBC is the top dog when it comes to filming the world and all it's wonders.

4.0 out of 5 stars similar to Planet Earth, Feb. 3 2014
This review is from: Nature's Most Amazing Events (DVD)
cinematography is just as good as Planet Earth. We really enjoyed all of the segments. Getting tired of Mr. Attenborough though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Blu-ray!, Jan. 27 2014
I enjoyed this collection even though I own the collection of Planet Earth. Both are wonderful! You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, April 16 2013
I own the whole series of these movies and I can't get enough of them. My son loves them as well! It is wonderful to be able to see all these event, even if it's only on a tv screen. Thanks to movies like those we know how beautiful life on this planet is... All life!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa9e9aaa4)

Nature's Most Amazing Events
Nature's Most Amazing Events by David Attenborough (DVD - 2009)
CDN$ 37.48 CDN$ 19.99