5.0 out of 5 stars Creativity. Just pure bloody creativity
From what I can tell, this is Charlie Kaufman's take on the philosophy of Love and Memory. Kaufman handles it with an incredible level of creativity and Michael Gondry (the director) renders his words with equally incredible beauty.
This is a smart love story. It isn't just about two people getting together under some strange circumstances and falling for each other...
Published on April 17 2005 by superkhy

3.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for Kaufman -- the actors -- 1 for Chemistry
Does anyone else think that this film was excellently written and crafted -- and even acted by both stars, but that the chemistry was just off? Either lead could have made this work without the other -- but they would have been very different -- and better -- films. Together? Not the best. Enjoyable, but overall a letdown.
Published on June 25 2004 by Limelight Books

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut, April 10 2013
F. Marra - See all my reviews
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

5.0 out of 5 stars For those in love, out of love, on the verge of break up or just broken up and philosophers, Sept. 27 2007
Jenny J.J.I. "A New Yorker" (That Lives in Carolinas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
When I first heard of this film it didn't interest me that much but after a number of recommendations I dove into it. Thankfully enough I found "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" an excellent romantic and intriguing comedy-drama about two people who don't truly realize they are in love until one loses the other. Joel Barish (Jim Carrey) is a lonely yet sweet man who is looking for true love and the ideal woman. His search ends when he meets Clementine Krucynksi (Kate Winslet), an energetic and wild young woman. Clementine is everything Joel isn't... at least not the Joel the world sees. The feelings locked up inside of him are released through Clementine. They prove you do not have to make love or kiss all the time to be in love. This couple can play music, in the snow, go shopping, or just lounge around at home and the audience can tell they are in love. But as time goes by, their relationship begins to shatter and really goes to the extreme when Joel discovers Clementine erased him from her mind, thanks to a brilliant doctor's invention. Joel contacts the agency, Lacuna Inc., and its main doctor, Dr. Howard Mierzwiak (Tom Wilkinson), for Joel to receive the same operation. During the evening Dr. Mierzwiak and his team: another doctor/technician (Mark Ruffalo), a lovestruck receptionist/assistant (Kirsten Dunst), and naive (Elijah Wood) perform the operation, Joel evaluates his relationship with Clementine and realizes he is still in love with her and wishes to keep the memories of her.

"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" is an incredible film and one of the greatest modern romantic comedies of our time. It is smart, clever, and charming with an exceptional cast and an intelligent crew. This movie received many excellent reviews and anyone that I've known that has seen it agrees. A movie like that is superb. This movie is unique and makes the audience think and comprehend of what is happening. Carrey delivers a superb performance that made him avoid the "Oscar". His humor mixed with sadness and all the complexity of the character made me understand that he is a great actor (before, Truman Show made the audience give a serious look at this actor) and performer. Kate Winslet, again, delivers a full featured character, a "girl" from town, this "Shakespeare" actress can do it all and likely see the wild and funny side of her, what you would think would be vice versa. The supporting cast consisting of Kirsten Dunst, Mark Ruffalo, Elijah Wood, and Tom Wilkinson is does a great job. Charlie Kaufman, as always, writes a phenomenal script with such creativity and intellect. Speaking of intellect, director Michel Gondry uses his own intellect to make this film a spectacle. The shots are captivating and exciting.

"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" is a romantic motion picture unlike any other. It is definitely not one of those typical romantic comedies when they both love each other without realizing it. This film captures beauty and the true quality of a great film. This film is one of the better films out there and anyone else who has will agree.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, when you're in the mood, Aug. 31 2007
Virus (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
I had to take two runs at this movie. You really have to be in the mood for a dark, plodding movie that hits hard if you give it time to set up the opportunity.

The film touches upon themes like "be careful what you wish for" and "the easy way out may not be the best". Winslet and Carrey are good in their roles. Clementine (Winslet) is spontaneous, flakey, and Carrey is dark, brooding...but they match. There are some very emotional scenes, but not in the typical romantic comedy sense. As whimsical as the premise of the movie is, there's some very real heartbreak and dark reality built in.

Characters are various shades of grey. You'll see hints of selfishness from the main characters, and supporting roles turn out to be just as flawed if not dispicable. There's subtle and sometimes ludicrous humour to be found as well.

All in all this is an excellent film, but I recognize it's not for everyone. If you're looking for a laugh-out-loud comedy, look elsewhere. If you're looking for a romance story to score brownie points, or to make yourself feel better...also look elsewhere. This is a film for when you're looking for something odd, dark, deep, and takes time to let you appreciate it.

3.0 out of 5 stars not a horrible movie,but much too methodical for my tastes(2.5/5), Aug. 18 2007
falcon "disdressed12" (canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
this is a hard movie to review.i mean,it has a unique premise which i
won't reveal here.aside from it's unique premise,however,i found the
movie hard to follow and much to slow and melancholy.it's also much too
methodical for my tastes.it seems to dwell too long on certain scenes
or situations.the movie is also very bizarre at times.this is no summer
popcorn movie.it's definitely deep.too deep for me. i guess it's sort
of a lesson that there's just some things you shouldn't mess with as
there may be unexpected repercussions.i found the movie on the cusp of
being compelling,just enough to keep watching to the end.the acting in
the movie is good.Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet play the two lead
characters.the supporting cast is also strong.this movie won't make you
feel uplifted,so if you're feeling down,you might want to hold off on
this movie.all things considered,the most i can give Eternal Sunshine
of the Spotless Mind" is a 2.5/5.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much a waste of time, Nov. 10 2013
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Clementine Kruczynski (Kate Winslet) is disenchanted with her latest beau and has a procedure to erase her memory of him. Her now ex Joel Barish (Jim Carrey...that gets to make Carry faces) finds out and decides to reciprocate. Things do not go as well as planned as the processing team is full of highjinx.

The concept is probably good however the actors are mismatched and the timing is off.

I would like to tell you more but I am afraid I had this movie erased from my mind and hope with the low rating that I do not try and see it again.

However I guess "Everybody's got to Learn Sometime" written by James Warren.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment big time!, March 6 2014
This review is from: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
Very very disappointed with this movie. It has been listed as one of the top 100 movies which is why I purchased it. It should be rated as one of the bottom 10 movies ever produced. A total waste of money. Only watched about 10 minutes of the movie and that was enough. Loaned it to a friend and they ejected it after about 5 minutes. Complete garbage.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good movie....., May 6 2012
Duchess "Duchess" (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Well, after about 30 minutes of trying to get the gist of a supposedly 'interesting' movie, I have to say this is not one I shall invest in for my library. When I read the synopsis of the movie beforehand, it seemed okay, but as the movie progressed it seemed to get more and more confusing. I tend to like movies that at least make SOME sense instead of being so fragmented.

2.0 out of 5 stars ZZZZZzzzzzzZZZZ, April 1 2011
Brian Babcock "LimpTallica" (Burlington, ON) - See all my reviews
I like Jim Carrey, got nothing against Kate Winslet, this movie looked compelling and funny and it has a very high rating on imdb...oh my GOD was I bored. There are plenty of slow paced movies I enjoy, but this one was agonizing to sit through. It wasn't funny at all, the blu-ray transfer was meh (But what the hell it was only $7.50).

2.0 out of 5 stars Overrated., Oct. 1 2004
Antonio Giusto (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
(...)
I'm so sick of people telling me about how great this film is. Everybody in this film sucked big time. Hollywood jerks acting. I hate actors acting. Especially Hollywood actors acting. I was hoping this would be something that would really make me change my mind about the actors in this film. It only confirmed my views on them.
Halfway trough this film I figured out what would happen in the end (I swear I never read the book). I was hoping I would be wrong so my time wasn't wasted. Sadly I wasn't wrong. The second half of this film was filler leading up to the obvious ending.
This movie sucked. A great story ruined by Hollywood actors.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind [Blu-ray] (Bilingual)
CDN$ 14.99 CDN$ 9.99