5.0 out of 5 stars A unique film
I use this film in high school and it gets a great response from students. Upon first viewing I liked this film, but after watching it a second time and catching more of the abundant detail I think I liked it even more. Kate Winslet is truly a phenomenal actress who can realistically convey the emotions of her character, while Jim Carrey, surprisingly (at least to me),...
Published on Oct. 20 2009 by Joost

3.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for Kaufman -- the actors -- 1 for Chemistry
Does anyone else think that this film was excellently written and crafted -- and even acted by both stars, but that the chemistry was just off? Either lead could have made this work without the other -- but they would have been very different -- and better -- films. Together? Not the best. Enjoyable, but overall a letdown.
Published on June 26 2004 by Limelight Books

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for Kaufman -- the actors -- 1 for Chemistry, June 26 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Film doesnt get much better than this, June 22 2004
Molly J. Gitelson "Molly Jane" (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
Eternal Sunshine is a visually dazzling and emotionally challenging film. I would deem it impossible to walk away from watching it without believing that every experience in life, good or bad, every relationship,pitfall job etc we have shapes who we are and being grateful for each.
This movie is one of a kind which is so rare nowadays. It is comparable to Big Fish in what it asks from the viewer, and what it offers. It is simply beautiful. Carrey and Winslet have outdone themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful and Intriguing Love Story, June 22 2004
So far this movie stands as one of my favorite movies of the year. In it, Jim Carrey gives the best performance yet of his career. Rather than play his typical dimwitted (but entertaining) stereotypes, Carrey manages to pull off a character that is not only much more serious but also emotional. Kate Winslet is not wasted as well; her character is both sexy and mysterious while the story of her and Carreys developing relationship unfolds. The supporting cast is also executed in likeable fashion, with so much star-power thats in this movie, it's great to see actors such as Elijah Wood, and Kirstin Dunst play small but intricate roles that do not overshadow the main characters. All in all this was a beautiful love story, and although as I guy I rarely fall for such dribble, this movie was really different, and has changed my once firm opinion on all love stories.

3.0 out of 5 stars not a horrible movie,but much too methodical for my tastes(2.5/5), Aug. 18 2007
this is a hard movie to review.i mean,it has a unique premise which i
won't reveal here.aside from it's unique premise,however,i found the
movie hard to follow and much to slow and melancholy.it's also much too
methodical for my tastes.it seems to dwell too long on certain scenes
or situations.the movie is also very bizarre at times.this is no summer
popcorn movie.it's definitely deep.too deep for me. i guess it's sort
of a lesson that there's just some things you shouldn't mess with as
there may be unexpected repercussions.i found the movie on the cusp of
being compelling,just enough to keep watching to the end.the acting in
the movie is good.Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet play the two lead
characters.the supporting cast is also strong.this movie won't make you
feel uplifted,so if you're feeling down,you might want to hold off on
this movie.all things considered,the most i can give Eternal Sunshine
of the Spotless Mind" is a 2.5/5.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much a waste of time, Nov. 10 2013
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Clementine Kruczynski (Kate Winslet) is disenchanted with her latest beau and has a procedure to erase her memory of him. Her now ex Joel Barish (Jim Carrey...that gets to make Carry faces) finds out and decides to reciprocate. Things do not go as well as planned as the processing team is full of highjinx.

The concept is probably good however the actors are mismatched and the timing is off.

I would like to tell you more but I am afraid I had this movie erased from my mind and hope with the low rating that I do not try and see it again.

However I guess "Everybody's got to Learn Sometime" written by James Warren.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment big time!, March 6 2014
This review is from: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
Very very disappointed with this movie. It has been listed as one of the top 100 movies which is why I purchased it. It should be rated as one of the bottom 10 movies ever produced. A total waste of money. Only watched about 10 minutes of the movie and that was enough. Loaned it to a friend and they ejected it after about 5 minutes. Complete garbage.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good movie....., May 6 2012
Duchess "Duchess" (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Well, after about 30 minutes of trying to get the gist of a supposedly 'interesting' movie, I have to say this is not one I shall invest in for my library. When I read the synopsis of the movie beforehand, it seemed okay, but as the movie progressed it seemed to get more and more confusing. I tend to like movies that at least make SOME sense instead of being so fragmented.

2.0 out of 5 stars ZZZZZzzzzzzZZZZ, April 1 2011
Brian Babcock "LimpTallica" (Burlington, ON) - See all my reviews
I like Jim Carrey, got nothing against Kate Winslet, this movie looked compelling and funny and it has a very high rating on imdb...oh my GOD was I bored. There are plenty of slow paced movies I enjoy, but this one was agonizing to sit through. It wasn't funny at all, the blu-ray transfer was meh (But what the hell it was only $7.50).

2.0 out of 5 stars Overrated., Oct. 1 2004
Antonio Giusto (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
(...)
I'm so sick of people telling me about how great this film is. Everybody in this film sucked big time. Hollywood jerks acting. I hate actors acting. Especially Hollywood actors acting. I was hoping this would be something that would really make me change my mind about the actors in this film. It only confirmed my views on them.
Halfway trough this film I figured out what would happen in the end (I swear I never read the book). I was hoping I would be wrong so my time wasn't wasted. Sadly I wasn't wrong. The second half of this film was filler leading up to the obvious ending.
This movie sucked. A great story ruined by Hollywood actors.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind [Blu-ray] (Bilingual)
CDN$ 14.99 CDN$ 11.99