5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best action movies I've seen
I'm not a big fan of action movies. They tend to focus on violence and killing as many people as possible in the most original ways, but a select few have more depth. Taken falls into the latter category.

Why is it so good?

Published on March 25 2012 by Steven Aldersley

3.0 out of 5 stars ok
I bought this movie for my daughter. I didn't watch it but she said it was a really good movie.
Published 11 months ago by Daphne White

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best action movies I've seen, March 25 2012
Steven Aldersley (Oshawa, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Taken (2-disc Extended Cut) [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)

Why is it so good?

If you had told me that a 56-year-old actor would make one of the best action movies I've ever seen, I would have laughed and thought how bad Roger Moore's version of James Bond was in A View to a Kill and Octopussy. Action movies often feature actors who look the part, but who can't really act. Arnold Schwarzenegger springs to mind. Liam Neeson changes all that with this one performance. He doesn't look like he could take on the world, but his acting ability is so good that he convinces you that he's capable of everything he does in the movie.

Bryan Mills (Neeson) used to work for the government as a CIA operative. He still associates with friends from his previous job, but he's given up that career in an attempt to get closer to his daughter, Kim (Maggie Grace). She lives with his ex-wife, Lenore (Famke Janssen), and her rich stepfather. When Mills takes Kim a thoughtful gift on her seventeenth birthday, her stepfather gives her a horse. Mills doesn't seem to have a chance of winning her respect. What's more, Lenore apparently hates him.

Mills is given another chance to make a connection with Kim when she asks him to sign a consent form so that she can leave the country for a vacation. As she's 17, she needs the permission of both parents. Mills isn't happy about the idea. He's seen a lot of criminal activity in his former line of work and understands the dangers involved. Is he just being paranoid? His dire warnings seem exaggerated, but we soon see that they are justified.

Kim goes to Paris with her 19-year-old friend and trusts everyone she meets. The day she arrives, an Albanian gang take her and her friend captive. We learn that they intend to control her through drugs and turn her into a prostitute, or perhaps even sell her to a willing buyer.

Perhaps the best moment in the movie is when Mills talks to Kim's captor on her phone:

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you."

He says it with absolute conviction.

I won't give away any more of the story. That setup takes around 25 minutes. If I have done a good job, perhaps you can understand why Taken is different. Mills is real. We understand his motives for giving up his job. When Kim is taken, we start to see some of the skills he claims to possess.

If she was your daughter, how would you react? What if you had the requisite skills to seek her out yourself? Is there anything you wouldn't do to save her?

Director Pierre Morel doesn't waste a single minute. At 93 minutes, the movie is lean and the action rarely allows us time to breathe once Mills kicks into action. He's a relentless killing machine, but, unlike most action heroes, his abilities seem authentic. To make things seem even more urgent, we experience everything from his point of view. Expect to see plenty of fast cuts during chase scenes, just as you would in The Bourne Trilogy.

It's easy to root for Mills because of the strong characterization. Neeson excels in this role and carries the movie throughout. I wonder if we'll start to see other good actors cast in action roles as a result? Taken is an enjoyable thrill ride with almost endless replay value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing and oh so good!, Feb. 15 2013
Fell in love with this movie the first time I saw it in theaters. Not that i want to compare the movies themselves, but this had the same feeling of surprise and wow as when I watched V for Vendetta.

It was a simple concept that captivated you quickly and wasted no time in small talk. Everything, each scene whether small or big had meaning in them. The scene that is the most emotional in a sense, was when Bryan talks to the kidnappers, it grabs you and afterwords, you can imagine in how much sh_t they are in without realizing it.

Beautiful and worth rewatching again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars great movie. a good way to put reality behind you., Feb. 8 2012
great movie. keeps you guessing. surprise ending. easy to get in to.
not too long. two choices of raitings one for adults and one for early teens

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 5 2014
Fast moving drama. Well acted and we'll produced movie

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME, May 16 2014
Another GREAT movie ---would recommend to all who like action and drama. You will have to take my word I love it
Liam Neeson always one of the best

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic action movie, April 28 2014
At first I had a problem picturing Liam Neesom as a James Bond / Jet Li action hero, but he proved to be a superb one. When his daughter is Kidnapped, Neesom terlls the kidnappers that he will find them, and kill them, and the carnage starts. Great fight scenes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing movie!, Feb. 6 2014
Great action packed movie. I really enjoyed this one. I rewatched this many many times and wanted the Blu-Ray for the shelf..

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific movie, Jan. 31 2014
Diane Edwards - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This was suspenseful and kept me on the edge of my seat. Hope the second one is as good. Goes to show you don't mess with Dad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Standard get my child back - yet well executed, Nov. 20 2013
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Taken (DVD)
A retired CIA agent lets his ex-wife twist his arm into letting their daughter round all over Europe. He warned them of the possible and we would not have a movie if the possible did not happen. Yep the daughter was abducted by a ruthless cabal or two to serve in an unsavory capacity.

"Let her go and you won't die." Now how many movies have we heard that in? Well a lot. But Liam Neeson can run with the best of them. He fights the odds and so-called friends to shoot, drive, stab, and what not his way through Sleaze Town and more.

Will he succeed? Will we have fun kibitzing? Why do you find yourself sweating? Oh no you're going to watch it again aren't you?

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, Aug. 31 2013
Just as I expected.arrived on time:) for the birthday guest.very happy with the purchase. A great movie to watch .thx

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Taken (2-disc Extended Cut)  [Blu-ray] (Bilingual)
Taken (2-disc Extended Cut) [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) by Pierre Morel (Blu-ray - 2009)
CDN$ 21.99 CDN$ 5.00