5.0 out of 5 stars Realized Anticipation
The phenomenon that is Susan Boyle continues with her debut album and does not disappoint. Anticipated since that night on `Britain Got Talent' when she `rocked that audience', Susan finally fully escapes with a well deserved piece of work. The song collection contains a range from classic pop to anthemic show tunes.

The strongest songs are, "Wild Horses",...
Published on Jan. 22 2010 by Martin A Hogan

3.0 out of 5 stars EXTRAORDINARY VOICE - SONG CHOICES SKETCHY
Published on Nov. 26 2009 by Corey Gillingham

5.0 out of 5 stars Realized Anticipation, Jan. 22 2010
Martin A Hogan "Marty From SF" (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: I Dreamed a Dream (Audio CD)

The strongest songs are, "Wild Horses", "Cry Me A River" and, of course, "I Dreamed A Dream". "Wild Horses" takes a daring approach using a Rolling Stones classic and turns it into a heartfelt ballad. "Cry Me A River" brings out a surprisingly sultry Susan Boyle, completely devoid of her hip wiggling from her television debut.

There are a few songs that slightly wobble under heavy strings and backing vocals like, "Amazing Grace" and "How Great They Art", but still showcase Miss Boyle's vocals. "Daydream Believer" and "The End Of The World", both previous pop hits have a nice touch that show a sensitive touch with a unique interpretation, but seem a tad out of place. Otherwise, this collection will satisfy any casual fan.

There is arguably little doubt that grand anthemic pieces like, "I Dreamed A Dream" and "Who I Was Born To Be" are Miss Boyle's foray. Her voice only sounds stronger and more emotional when backed by a strong orchestra. "Memories" from `Cats' would be a fantastic offering and an example of her grandest range. The only thing missing from this album is the audience reaction from her "I Dreamed A Dream" appearance on television. The rising approval of the audience roaring as she reaching the climax of each verse was spine-tingling. It was real. It was Susan Boyle.

3.0 out of 5 stars EXTRAORDINARY VOICE - SONG CHOICES SKETCHY, Nov. 26 2009
Corey Gillingham (Toronto Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Dreamed a Dream (Audio CD)
I was one of the millions who was entranced by Susan Boyle. I loved her beautiful voice and simplistic style of delivery so absent from the world of music today. Susan is a welcome change and somewhat of a throwback to earlier days when artists actually COULD sing without the bells, whistles and studio tricks. Her basic approach to singing and songs reminded me of the beautiful style of Nana Mouskouri, a not so well known but hugely successful singer who has sold more records than any other female singer in the world on the basis of her unique and beautiful voice and singing style. As Nana has retired and as that type of singer has disappeared from popular entertainment I think that Susan will take up that mantle and become much loved by the same audience as was Nana. Okay so maybe not chart topping but filling concert stages the world over at her whim. For this Im greatful. But I think that her albums need to be planned a bit more carefully. There are stunning and bone chilling performances here such as Wild Horses, I Dreamed a Dream, You'll See and Who I was Born to be. But there are also lapses such as Silent Night, How Great Thou Art and Amazing Grace which do not match the other material. As well they are strangely arranged and oddly dont even include all the lyrics; and, while Susans voice is great on them, they sound more like demos whichd belong on a different type of album. Im surprized that no one at Sony thought about this and advised the producers to reconsider the final track run down. Nonetheless, her voice is stunning and she has clearly learned a great deal about the dramatics of delivery. With the right material and with a few more years of experience she will become a great singer and performer and will have the abilty to entrance. Im looking forward to her next record and her first tour. Buy this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with it, Dec 22 2009
This review is from: I Dreamed a Dream (Audio CD)
I ordered before the release of her first album, as seeing her on the net I knew she could sing. I was very pleased with the album as it nicely showcases the wide variety of musical styles she possesses. The studio album is clear, crisp sound and I think there will be no stopping the train for this highly accomplished singer. She does everything from Rolling Stones to gospel and does it well.
My wife plays it all the time and I think I am going to have to get the next album Susan does.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dreaming Big, but Susan Take More Control!, Dec 20 2009
D. Gibney "S. Boyle fan" (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Dreamed a Dream (Audio CD)
I am a huge Susan Boyle fan, and I can agree with most of the comments made. Just like fashionable clothes, food, or decor, music has to match the singer. I Dreamed a Dream, Wild Horses, and the other one mentioned, I agree showcase Susan's talent beautifully. But I wonder if she really chose all the songs for this album, or if she listened to the moneymaker staff more? Next album she should take more control of what she wants to sing. Either make it a mix of popular songs, done in her version, or make a christian album featuring her favorite hymns. Never put both on your debut album. All it does is confuse your audience. Other than that, here singing is flawless, and I look forward to hearing more from her.

5.0 out of 5 stars That Magical Moment, Aug. 29 2010
Alan Rivière (Big Al) (Southwest, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: I Dreamed a Dream (Audio CD)
This debut album of Susan Boyle consists of songs of many genres--from the pops, to the spirituals, to the Broadway hit which made Susan Boyle a singing sensation today. Furthermore, it includes an original work specifically written for Susan Boyle.

The Pops
"Wild Horses" was originally composed by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards for the Rolling Stones, in their 1971 album Sticky Fingers. In this re-arranged version, Susan Boyle gives new meaning to an old song. In her own words, it "conjures up memories of childhood amongst Council Estates, poverty and struggle..." in this hauntingly beautiful rendition of hers.

"Cry Me a River", a popular American torch song originally recorded by Julie London in 1953, was performed by Susan Boyle in a charity event in 1999 and subsequently put on CD. Only a thousand copies were made. Now 10 years later, in her new CD, she again captures the beauty of this jazzy blues ballad written by Arthur Hamilton, in the melancholy of a woman betrayed, just as she did years ago. One wonders: where were the talent scouts in those days? How did they overlook this talented woman?

"You'll See", an international hit written and performed by Madonna in 1995, tells of the determination and sorrow of love betrayed. While Madonna's rendition was filled with determination, Susan Boyle sings the ballad movingly with equal amount of determination and sorrow. It brought tears to my eyes.

"Day Dream Believer" was a song composed by John Stewart of the Kingston Trio and recorded in 1967 by the Monkees, with Davy Jones as the lead. It was sung light-heartedly with a humorous opening. Susan Boyle's soft and dreamy rendition of the song, however, conjures up vision of a half-asleep woman struggling to get out of bed and start the day.

"Proud" was originally performed by Matthew James Thomas who played the part of Jez Tyler in the British musical drama TV series "Britannia High". It was the British version of "Fame". In her song, Susan Boyle captures the spirit of an offspring who pleads for acceptance of his/her parent.

"The End of The World" was a pop hit by the country music crossover vocalist Skeeter Davis in 1962. Accompanied only by a guitar, Susan Boyle's vocal ebbs and flows, like the tide gently lapping the shore. If Skeeter Davis' rendition is like a woman crying over lost love, then that of Susan Boyle is like one sobbing quietly over her loss.

The Spirituals
The spirituality of Susan Boyle shines through the spiritual and sacred songs in this album. They include the Christian hymns "How Great Thou Art", "Amazing Grace", and the Christmas tune "Silent Night". But the most inspiring selection is "Up to the Mountain", written by American singer-songwriter Patty Griffin. This song was inspired by the speech, "I've been to the mountaintop" by Martin Luther King, Jr., given on the day before his assassination in Memphis, Tennessee in 1968. Accompanied by a piano and supported by a chorus, Susan Boyle brings forth the emotion & spirituality surrounding MLK's speech.

The Original
"Who I Was Born To Be" is the answer to the critics who label Susan Boyle (quite unkindly) as cover or karaoke singer. It was written specifically for Susan Boyle by American singer-songwriter Audra Mae, great grand niece of Judy Garland. Accompanied by a beautiful tune at the piano and supported by a chorus and an orchestra, the song showcases the full vocal range of the talented Susan Boyle. This piece is a harbinger of things to come. Established songwriters will beat a path to the door of Susan Boyle, pleading for the chance to showcase their new songs. Susan Boyle fans are in for a treat.

The Broadway Hit
Of course, we can't forget the Broadway hit, "I Dreamed a Dream" from Les Miserables, which made Susan Boyle famous, or vice versa. Contrary to the soaring rendition in her performance on BGT, this album version is softer and more contemplative, but every bit as powerful and moving.

The Album Art
Susan Boyle was all dolled up in these Bazaar photo shoots at Cliveden, the luxurious Italianate mansion just outside of London. That is the way Susan Boyle fans want to visualize her, while listening to her angelic voice. I especially like the picture of her, dressed in a gorgeous gown, sitting by a piano, surrounded by fine things, ready to perform for her audience--a dream finally come true for a great artist.

That Magical Moment
Susan Boyle has earned her place as one of the great singers of our time. I have the feeling that this debut album of hers, with songs of many genres, is here just to whet our appetite. I am looking forward to hearing more of her, perhaps a second album on Broadway hits and sacred songs, and a Christmas album just in time to catch Christmas 2010. The Sony Music studio did a great job to capture her angelic voice on CD. What it didn't and couldn't do was to capture the magic of the moment when Simon Cowell raised his eyebrows, Amanda Holden dropped her jaw, Piers Morgan clapped enthusiastically, and the audience cheered wildly as Susan Boyle sang "I Dreamed a Dream" during her audition on BGT. That magical moment lives in the memories of hundreds of million of fans who had watched her performance on YouTube.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wait for Susan's next CD, March 18 2010
This review is from: I Dreamed a Dream (Audio CD)
This CD is a classic case of rushing "something" to market to take advantage of Susan's sudden popularity. Each song is ok but overall the CD is an eclectic collection of tunes that don't go well together. There are gospel tunes, stage tunes and other miscellaneous tunes. Susan needs to first find her genre cuz right now she's all over the map.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Susan Boyle Phenomena on CD, Jan. 13 2010
J. Norton-Smythe (Unionville, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Dreamed a Dream (Audio CD)
The highlights of this album are "I Dreamed A Dream" (Susan's best performance) and "I Am Who I Was Born To Be" which comes across as autobiographical. The phemonema of this humble, simple woman's rise to stardom certainly has roots in her singing talent but also in how the general public identify with her gaucheness, simplicity and fragility. Most love to cheer on an underdog and she certainly presented herself as such when she first spoke on stage, then catapaulting over this with her stunning tonality. This album is worth buying to hear this woman's voice and celebrate her success. The selections on the CD are mixed calibrewise but they are a mirror into her persona and lifestyle. The hype that has accompanied her will eventually settle down and then time will tell whether or not Susan will continue as a star. She may not have the emotional fortitude for continued stardom but I wish her the best choices in her life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Susan, you've touched my heart!, Jan. 20 2010
This review is from: I Dreamed a Dream (Audio CD)
Love, love, love Susan's debut album. Listening to this CD brings tears to my eyes. For everyone who's ever dreamed a dream for long, long time, Susan's amazing journey and talent are proof positive that dreams can and do come true. Susan is an inspiration for all of us and her lovely voice is a joy to listen to, again and again.

I do agree with some of the other reviews that the choice of songs is a bit of a "mix" but these are probably personal choices that Susan wanted to make sure to include on this her first album. How was she to know at the time where this would all lead to and how popular this album would continue to be week after week. A second album perhaps was still an uncertainty at that point, it certainly isn't now!

I'll be watching and listening along with her other millions of fans throughout the world to see what's next for Susan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Susan, Susan, Susan..., Oct. 24 2010
This review is from: I Dreamed a Dream (Audio CD)
If it were possible to wear out a CD, mine would be done so by now! I keep this one in my car and play it endlessly -- what a brilliant voice and what a wide repertoire. I cannot tire of this CD because the variety is so wide. Too many singers become boring after the first few tracks, but not this one.

The feeling and expression Susan puts into each piece just melts the heart. Her amazing vibrato, just the right amount at just the right time with impeccable timing, sends shivers up my spine as I'm sure it did for the over 80 millions hits she got on her YouTube debut. And the children's voices that back up a couple of the numbers are overwhelmingly beautiful.

I am already pre-ordered for her next release and can't wait for it to arrive!

5.0 out of 5 stars What range! Powerful!, Dec 8 2009
E. Hache LeBlanc "Elisabeth H." (Newmarket, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Dreamed a Dream (Audio CD)
What range she has! This cd shows Susan's ability at all levels - beautiful! She sings softly. She sings powerfully. One of my favorites is "Who I was Born To Be". And I love that she includes and praises the One who gave her her gift! Bravo Susan!

I Dreamed a Dream
I Dreamed a Dream by Susan Boyle (Audio CD - 2009)