4.0 out of 5 stars "The Coming of Shadows"
Published on July 11 2004 by D. Knouse

3.0 out of 5 stars Huge mistake in opening credits
Spoilers...
The opening credits for the first two episodes are supposed show Delenn in her orignal season 1 form. Not until after "Revelations" are they supposed to show her in her new form. However, the DVD credits for episodes 1 and 2 show the new and improved Delenn and spoil the surprise.
It's just sad to know that whoever compiled this set...
Published on July 15 2004 by Kevin Chu

4.0 out of 5 stars "The Coming of Shadows", July 11 2004
D. Knouse (vancouver, washington United States) - See all my reviews
Back in the mid-nineties I really wasn't watching any TV show religiously. There was the occasional "Married...with children" episode, or once in a while I would watch "Star Trek: the Next Generation." Then I caught a single episode from season 2 of some Sci-fi show called "Babylon 5." The reason I know it was season 2 is because Bruce Boxleitner(of "Tron" fame) was the commander of the space station. At first I thought, "Okay, this looks like a slight variation on Deep Space 9, nothing more." I could not have been more wrong. What makes all "Star Trek" shows so frustrating is that they become predictable through repitition of plotting with only a handful of predictable characters. One knows that somehow the characters will resolve to succeed, usually in some positive re-affirmation of humanity. But on "Babylon 5" all the characters are flawed, there are many episodes that are left unexplained and/or unresolved. This makes for a very fresh experience with each story. More or less, there is a through story about "The Coming of Shadows," creatures that are oddly reminiscent of the "Buggers" from the Orson Scott Card novels "Ender's Game," "Speaker for the Dead," and "Xenocide." There are side stories, many of which are very humorous, that keep the show interesting most of the time. There are many reviews here that state that starting with season 2 is the way to go because of a respectable but fairly lackluster first season. I never saw the first season; even in syndication the networks only showed "Babylon 5" from season 2 on. There are also many reviews here noting all the references to "The Lord of the Rings." There are quite a few. There is "Za-Ha-Dum," then there is the Minbari council know as "The Nine," just to name a couple. There is an underlying reference, I feel, to the writing style of Jack Vance and his use of various cultures clashing violently and politically. Other none-too-subtle references come from George Orwell's "1984," such as the "Ministry of Peace" and the Psi-Corps(a thinly veiled nod to the "Thought Police"). Obviously, this is a thoughtfully well-written series. The acting from everyone is solid character acting of the highest quality. There is the occasional down moment, or ill-conceived sub-plot/side story, but overall I was thoroughly entertained and more often than not, completely enthralled with the through story leading me to the coming darkness. It arrives in season 3. Thank you.

4.0 out of 5 stars A big leap up from season 1, Aug. 14 2011
K. Gordon - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Babylon 5: The Complete Second Season (Repackage) (DVD)
Fascinating, sometimes maddening mix of wonderful and silly,
intelligent and dumb, insightful and obvious.

At it's best it's the 'Wire' of science fiction, challenging
'Battlestar Galactica' for intelligence and emotional depth.

The most interesting thing; this was an early case of a series having a
pre-planned multi-year arc, so throughout there are sometimes intentionally
confusing or mysterious details that return to be finally explained as
having great importance a season or two or three later.

On the other hand, because this preceded the acceptance of truly serial cable shows,
each episode is more self contained than more recent shows in a sometimes annoyingly
neat way.

The show is also full of allusions; Shakespeare, the Bible, Buddhism,
King Arthur, the Koran. Certainly the writing is grounded in pretty
heady stuff..

Season 2 brought in some stronger cast, and somewhat better effects than
the slightly rocky season 1.

The stories in season 2 continued to be a mix, mostly quite good, a few
great, and some subplots that were to be honest, dopey. But overall it
remained pretty riveting, with lots of interesting allusions to history
and philosophy. And it was great to see characters that seriously
evolve as the show goes on.

What may be the series' biggest problem; if this show could have been
12 episodes a year instead of 22, as is the case with most current serialized
series, there would be a lot fewer episodes that felt lacking
in substance, as if the show were just marking time.

I wish it was even more consistently great, but - in the end - it was
more than good enough.

P.S. To echo what others have written here, be careful with the special
features. They sometimes have a nasty habit of acting as spoilers and
giving away plot twists to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Babylon 5, Oct. 15 2013
This review is from: Babylon 5: The Complete Second Season (Repackage) (DVD)
I loved this series when it first came on tv and was happy to obtain season 2 to complete my sci-fi collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very glad I got this series, April 22 2013
This review is from: Babylon 5: The Complete Second Season (Repackage) (DVD)
I had forgotten how much I liked this series. I remembered that It was good but after getting all 5 seasons and watching them all, I have to say I'm very glad to have watched it again, all these years later. Well worth the price. I know I will watch all five seasons again a couple of time over the years.

The regular characters are well defined, you really get to like and dislike some of them. For all the weird costumes and hairstyles, and what not, the acting gets you beyond laughing at them and brings you right along to caring about them.

Very good Sci-Fi series. A great addition to my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent service, Feb. 12 2012
Gordon Lavoie (Charlottetown, P.E.I. Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Babylon 5: The Complete Second Season (Repackage) (DVD)
Hard to find item here on Prince Edward ISland these days. Glad to find it. Great service and arrived in excellent condition.

3.0 out of 5 stars Huge mistake in opening credits, July 15 2004
Kevin Chu (CA United States) - See all my reviews
Spoilers...
It's just sad to know that whoever compiled this set really didn't know what they were doing and wasn't a true fan of the show. I'm amazed that JMS didn't notice this as well.
It's bad enough the the box and DVD splash screen give away this plot point, but to have the wrong credits on the DVD is just sloppy. We're supposed to be getting the show as it aired and we are not.
One of the reasons I bought the DVD sets is so I can show it to people who missed it the first time. Now they won't have the same viewing experience that I had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Entertainment, Jan. 27 2011
This review is from: Babylon 5: The Complete Second Season (Repackage) (DVD)
I never did catch all of B5 when it was on TV. Following a purchase of season 1, season 2 has been great! The characters and the story are developing, and even though most of the programs are individual showings, the story sequence does matter.

Well worth it!

3.0 out of 5 stars new crew and no traduction, June 6 2010
C. Morin (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Babylon 5: The Complete Second Season (Repackage) (DVD)
First of all, the first season of B5 is traducted in french BUT not the 2nd, wich is too bad.
Second, there is a new actor for the commander of the base. It's a big change.
Third, the plots are more complex.

5.0 out of 5 stars Audio and video problems, April 22 2004
James E. Karakitsos "jakara51" (hazlet, nj USA) - See all my reviews
After reading reviews of all the box sets and some of the problems some people have had,I just wanted to add my experiences.
I too had a few occasions where the picture would break up and even freeze as someone else has mentioned.
I removed the dvd from the player and cleaned it useing a cd/dvd spray cleaner.When I reinserted the dvd and played it again I had no further problems.
I have encountered this on one or two other brand new dvds of other shows and in each instance a good cleaning solved the problem.
The discs never look dirty or scratched and are always played fresh out of the case which leads me to believe it may be a coating of something that cant be seen by the naked eye but is detectable by the players laser.
It may not solve everyones problem but its worth trying before returning the discs for an exchange and then encountering the same problem.
I hope this helps as the series itself is great and nothing is more frustrating then having a problem in the middle of watching it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor DVD Quality, April 13 2004
By A Customer
I have purchased all 4 seasons that were available. Every one of them have discs that are faulty. They "freeze" or skip scenes. Those scenes will not play. Pretty poor.
I have even tried these on other DVD players...same results.
Oh yes, and ever try to get someone to acknowledge this problem and correct it? Not happening.

ARRAY(0xa82140d8)

Babylon 5: The Complete Second Season (Repackage)
Babylon 5: The Complete Second Season (Repackage) by Bruce Boxleitner (DVD - 2009)
CDN$ 49.70 CDN$ 14.99