5.0 out of 5 stars A bit of nostalgia, a lot of fun with friends
Published on Nov. 15 2009 by Meagol

3.0 out of 5 stars Why Nintendo, why?
First of all, I hate giving games a bad rating. If I spent a decent amount of time playing it, I "usually" think it deserves a decent rating.

Published on Feb. 15 2010 by EliteGundam

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit of nostalgia, a lot of fun with friends, Nov. 15 2009
This review is from: New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Standard Edition (Video Game)
This is one of a very few games I can get my wife to (pay and) play for more than a few minutes. The upgraded, faux 3D visuals are great, the controls are as spot on as ever, and the mayhem that comes from playing it with someone else is incredibly fun. The level design is excellent, imaginative, with a perfect balance of challenging sections and more relaxed stretches that allow the chubby plumber and his lanky brother to catch their breaths. It's polished, and lovingly crafted, though it is by no means revolutionary--the only novelty is really the co-op/competitive play--but that is one heck of an improvement. So far I've only completed the first world level, but I can see how this game would have a better replay value than the original; the co-op makes the levels fun and unpredictable--sometimes there's a benefit to having someone to boost you up to a too-high-to-reach-on-your-own coin or platform, sometime the players just end up tripping each other up with funny consequences.

The cons for this game are the omission of online multiplayer--not a big deal, since Mario games have always been more fun when the players are physically in the same room; and the second is that players 3 and 4 are both toads, making them hard to distinguish during frantic play. Really not a big deal at all.

This game is definitely worth the purchase, whether you liked the original platformer and would like to revisit it with updated graphics and additional play mechanics, or just simply looking for a fun game to play. [...] [...].

[...].

Wow-wow-wow - Amazon censored my issue with the pricing?

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It!!!, Nov. 20 2009
This review is from: New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Standard Edition (Video Game)
This game is so much fun. I loved the original Nintendo Mario Bros games and even kept my original Nintendo just to play these games. This updated version was extremely well done, it kept with the originals concepts and added on some amazing updated. I loved the penguin suit and the game saver option is great for when you just can't beat a level and just want to get on to the next level. I'm not a big video game fan and normally don't play a lot of video games but i found my self addicted to this game and ended up playing it for hours at a time. I would definitely recommend this game for anyone looking for a great wii game to play.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mario Rules, Jan. 13 2010
D. C. Thompson "deek" (Winnipeg, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Standard Edition (Video Game)
I bought this game for the girlfriend, who bought me a Wii for my birthday, but she plays it 10 times more than I do ... but I digress.

This game is a lot of fun to play, very true to the original game from way back. The only thing the girlfriend mentioned as a negative was the fact the controller is used differently than all the other games she has for the Wii. Typically the controller is used in line with the TV, however, for this game the controller is used "sideways" which took her a bit to get used to. For me it wasn't a big deal since I dont play the Wii as much as her, and to be honest, if you are a Mario player from olden Nintendo days, the use of the Wii controller is more like the original controllers, so it has a nice nostalgic feel to it.

Game play is really good .. a mix of old and new and still a lot of fun for this old timer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mario 1+ 3+ World + Party= New Super Mario Bros Wii!, Nov. 28 2009
Michael Jacob Petel "Mikey" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Standard Edition (Video Game)
This game is a great sequel to the 2D Mario platformers of the early 90s! It brings back the Koopa Kids, The Airships, and the rest of the elements a Mario game needs. Not to mention is is a huge game for 4 players to play at the same time. The old music tracks brought back great memories. The best game on the Wii hands down. It plays to the console's strengths.

5.0 out of 5 stars Are You Ready For Some Old-School Mario?, June 3 2010
Tommy Skylar (The Great White North) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Standard Edition (Video Game)
I always enjoyed Mario video games whether it was Mario kart, Paper Mario, Mario Galaxy...well you get the point. But my best memories of Mario games are without a doubt the old school Super Mario Bros 2-D scrolling games, it seems they weren't as graphically impressive as today's video games are but they were perhaps more fun than any other games. I've followed Nintendo and the Mario character for years now and I'm glad that Nintendo returned to their roots with Super Mario Bros Wii in a classic side scrolling adventure. But it doesn't end here, Nintendo made the game a cooperative one, the real value of the game is that up to four players can play at the same time, it's not just a multiplayer mode it's a multiplayer adventure! The plot line of NSMBW? Why even bothering asking! Of course princess Peach has been captured for the 100th gazillion time (she's pretty good at that) and it's up to Mario and his friends (if there is more than one player that is) to save her once again. Guess you didn't see that one coming!

New Super Mario Bros Wii is everything an old school gamer would like and at the same time a game that will enjoyed by younger gamers as well, everyone can enjoy it, it's truly a game for the whole family. You can play solo of course but why not share the fun? 8 worlds of fun await you plus bosses. Is the game long? Well it'll take quite a few hours, I've played it for days regularly but no constantly and it took me about a little more than two weeks because I'm not a really hardcore gamer. Is it a game that will be fun replaying? Of course it will be fun to play again, especially if you play with someone it will be fun. Once you're through you will still want to play some levels you've done before. It's not an incredibly hard game but it can be challenging! All the iconic characters form the Mario universe are here, the original ones at least and they look great on Wii. There are also the coin battles and free for all games besides the main game which are pretty fun to play.

There isn't much that is really new with Super Mario Bros Wii, is it the same as a classic Super Mario games? Well yes and no because while it keeps the same idea and logic there is a "new" and "old" feeling to it as well because it's sort of an updated retro game in some ways. The controls are old school as well because you play the game with the Wiimote on the side and move with the arrow and use 1 and 2 to jump, run and throw things. It doesn't take full advantage of the Wii controls that's for sure but it's better that way as it gives a better experience and keeps the feeling of a classic Mario game. I thought a really fun aspect of the game was that you can ride Yoshis, it's just so much fun riding on those dinosaurs and they can be used as good weapons as well! There are mushrooms and fireballs just like you may remember but they Nintendo added ice fireballs suit and jumping suits (sorry I don't really know the names) add new things to the game as well they enhance the game and are a great way to explore it.

My rating for this game is an absolute five stars. Bringing classic Mario back to the Wii is an amazing experience for gamers of all ages. I wish there would be more games like this for the Wii, an adventure in which more than one player can play at all times (I'm not counting online games here!), the multiplayer factor is the best thing about the game. If you own a Nintendo Wii you should really own this, or it could make a perfect present for a Mario fan, chances are if you know someone who owns a Wii they already own New Super Mario Bros Wii or is on their "to buy" list. It's a fantastic and highly enjoyable game for the Nintendo Wii.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute blast in multiplayer!!, Dec 21 2009
This review is from: New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Standard Edition (Video Game)
Bought this game for my youngest brother as a gift. We just played it for the first time and it is absolutely hilarious in 4-player mode! We've gotten past the first two worlds after a couple hours of non-stop playing and it's been fun the whole way through. For anyone who likes multiplayer co-operative games, I would recommend this without hesitation.

In my experience, this game in multiplayer mode is fun for all ages, regardless of whether they've played the original version back in the day. My little brother is 11 and doesn't even know what the original Nintendo system is, but he loves this game so far. And I'm enough of a geezer to have played many hours of Mario Bros. on the NES back in the 1980s and I love this new Wii version too!

I haven't tried it in single player mode yet but again, going 4-player on this game rocks!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good game!, Jan. 11 2010
E. Meunier - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Standard Edition (Video Game)
Really fun game, especially with 4 players. Can be frustrating sometimes as you can hinder other players really easily. Sometimes, you'll throw people in holes or you'll jump on them, making them falling in holes or on monsters. My only disappointment was that it was a little bit too short for my taste.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why Nintendo, why?, Feb. 15 2010
This review is from: New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Standard Edition (Video Game)

Single player: Far too easy!! Just getting through the levels is easy, they provide enough 1-ups, and tip videos for getting them, that you will play most of the game with 50+ extra men. You ca collect "Star Coins" and find hidden exits to get 100% completion, but even those are fairly easy to find. I spent around 20 hours getting perfect. Not much single player 'replay value' after you've got perfect.

Multiplayer: Fun, but only the 2nd player choses who to play as, either Luigi, or one of 2 toads. You can do some amazing things with friends who are the same skill level as you, or understand each other's playing style. Otherwise, you can be held back by a slow player, or killed by a fast player.

Online: None!! In a title that has so much publicity for multiplayer, Nintendo decided not to let you play online. That feature alone would have meant a lot of additional replay time for me. And the extras they could have, tournaments, sharing your replay videos, finding random people to play with at 3am...

Overall: A good game, fun to get back to the roots, but too easy, and not much reason to pick up off the shelf when I'm looking for some solo play. Really disappointing when I think of all the time I sunk into the other 2D Mario platform games.

4.0 out of 5 stars Super Mario Bros., Oct. 9 2010
Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
New Super Mario Bros

My husband loves it, me, not so much, but I'm not really a 'gamer'. He can play it for hours, it's like having a really big kid in the house. It's awesome to watch. He prefers the old style controller, finds it easier on his fingers/hands.

4.0 out of 5 stars New Super Mario Bros is fun fun fun, Feb. 7 2010
This review is from: New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Standard Edition (Video Game)
I never really played the original one many many years ago. But when I heard that Wii was coming out with a new version, I was excited. I love playing this game. I haven't had a lot of time to play it with life happening, but the times that I have played it have been a blast.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Standard Edition