4.0 out of 5 stars Remastered...but not remixed
Believe the hype: the stereo remasters sound *much* better than the tinny 1987 CDs and deserve to be The Beatles' new audio standard. However, these are not remixes like 1999's Yellow Submarine Songtrack or Love -- and that is a missed opportunity. Hence my four- but not five-star rating.

PROS: Ringo's drums and Paul's bass shine on all tracks. Bottom end...
Published on Sept. 7 2009 by Allan Tong

1.0 out of 5 stars 1 Year Later - Still Shipping FLAWED USA Sets
So I figured a year went by, maybe they have fixed the issues with the USA set or maybe I would get a EU Set (I asked Amazon before ordering and they could not say which one I would get). So I ordered late November 2013, and unfortunately I got the USA box and it is STILL riddled with problems. I contacted Amazon to replace it and they passed me the manufacturer`s email...
Published 7 months ago by EMI & Amazon Should be Ashamed

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 513 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars There should be a recall!, Dec 26 2012
I have never seen a product sold with this poor of quality. It was surreal going through and listening to each record. I was just amazed that this product was cleared to go out for sale. The flaws and damage to these records were ridiculous. I I took notes of the physical damage and sound flaws and filled up 20+ pages. All records had fingerprint smudges, hair, and scratches from the center of the record out to the edge. Every dust jacket was bent and crumpled and the corners of some of the sleeves were bent. Every record was warped and the sound was affected due to this. There were many issues of no-fills and abundant noise due to pressing flaws. The flip-top box that holds the records was damaged as well. The book was in excellent condition, though. I have read that the UK didn't experience these issues because a German company did the pressing. I am disappointed that Capital records would knowingly allow a poor quality record pressing company to produce records for the greatest band in history. This product should be recalled.

We sent this box-set back and received a new one. Though there are a few issues with very minor quality control issues, it is much better. We kept it and are enjoying it very much!

1.0 out of 5 stars C'mon Amazon-what's with the poor packaging!, Dec 24 2012
I read a lot of negative reviews on this item before I purchased it-warped records, skipping, scratches, etc. It didn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing that it was going to cost $360.00. I purchased it and kept my fingers crossed. Thankfully the records are all fine. I think the most impressive part of this package is the case bound book. It's marvellous with pictures I've never seen before and I've seen a lot of pictures of the Beatles over the past 49 years. I actually saw them perform live-twice! But-Amazon-the shipping was HORRIBLE!!!!! My package was delivered in 2 pieces! One piece was the box itself with the records and book. The other piece was the shrinkwrap with the shipping label on it. This entire package was held together with a piece of flimsy shrinkwrap. The box was wide open and anything could have fallen out. The outer sleeve was torn, the box was dented and scratched. Surely you could have shipped this item in an outer carton to protect it. My advice to everyone is to buy it at Costco. It's cheaper and you can see what the package looks like. I'll limit any future Amazon buying to single books or small items that can give fit in a carton. A job very poorly done Amazon!

2.0 out of 5 stars Where are all the 5 star reviews coming from?, Nov. 19 2012
I will make my review simple and short.

First of all, this box set which is pressed in USA (at Rainbo) had literally no quality control. At first inspecting the records during the evening (it was dark) I discovered that two records are warped and had "non-fill" issues, scuffs and greasy fingerprints on them. The other day I took my time and watched all of the records in the daylight and discovered that ALL of the records (besides two records) are either warped, have scuffs, or "non-fill" issues. Thats insane! And because of that these records have a lot of sound problems and are visually just painful to look at.

Secondly, I totally understand amazon.ca and that this isnt their fault. Amazon.ca has been totally helpful to sort the problems out and I thank them for that.

If you want to read more on this subject, head to Steve Hoffman Music Forums for example.

Cheers
Marko

5.0 out of 5 stars superb package, Nov. 16 2012
Ringo_Ron (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
The first think I noticed about this box set is the incredible weight, over 20 pounds. Each album and the book are individually shrink wrapped. All the discs are protected within plastic lined paper sleeves. All the expected inserts are there plus some extras. The discs are beautifully pressed on heavy 180 gram vinyl with no sign of warping or any visible defects. I have made it about two thirds of the way through and have found the sound so far to be excellent. My components are all late seventies vintage equipment. Without A/B testing my impression is that many of the earlier tracks reveal noticeably more bass than I recall. The quiet passages between tracks are silent.I guess after acquiring at least 10-15 copies of these albums over the years, this set will be my ultimate versions ... until the next time. Mono box next year, you say!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, Nov. 16 2012
Very nice box set they sound amazing!!. They done a nice quality job waiting for monos to come in 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, nicely redone, July 12 2014
This is the Parlophone EU version. Good sound, nicely redone. I didn't open the picture booklet that came with it. I viewed the pics online. Maybe it'll keep its value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful recording quality and a definitive collection, July 3 2014
This review is from: Stereo Box Set (Audio CD)
Simply incredible! Beautiful recording quality and a definitive collection!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing US set, July 1 2014
I ordered from Amazon.Ca hoping to get a UK pressing. I was sent a US pressing from a third party supplier. Paid customs duty on it. My set had the problems that many of the US sets had. Most of the larger problems showed up on the second half of the set. The problems were as follows: Scuffs that usually did not affect play, finger prints (give the guy a glove!), some surface noise during quiet parts (When Ringo sings Good Night on the White Album it is very evident), some pressings are not equally flat, and on WA and MMT there can be really bad surface noise at the last of the final tracks.

Some of the other issues I had may have been due to the actual mixing of the music. This is most evident on the early albums. I guess there was not sufficient data to make a good stereo sound. I switched to mono and the sound improved.

At best, the songs can sound great and resonate like magic. At worst, on MMT, the track is unlistenable (no hyperbole here.)

I am keeping the set because, without the ability to choose a UK set, I don't wish to go through the trouble of returning it. Ecologically, I can't convince myself that returning this box several times until I get a good one, is worth the fuel, time and expense.
I paid for a "perfect" set, but I will settle for OK. And someday they will probably decide to re-create the half-speed process with the new mix--and press it in Japan.
If you can avoid the US set, do so. Still, there is some great music to be heard from it.

JUST HEARD about the Mono Vinyl Set to be released in September. Manufactured in Germany. Someone at Apple was listening. So here's an idea: Buy the mono set, then get a hold of post-White Album UK (or German) stereo copies for those individual titles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, June 11 2014
Super set with all the original Beatles album. The reproductions are just like the original with pictures and posters. All of them sound absolutely fantastic. Great care was taken to ensure a faultless listening. I have to tell my box set contained records pressed in Germany. I know there were some concerns with those pressed in USA. Just for the book full of high quality pictures witch explain the the story behind the creation of each albums is worth the price of this Box set. Nice collectible item and nice to listen to!

5.0 out of 5 stars Three time's a charm., April 24 2014
First too sets were the U.S. pressings and they were flawed. Third one was from E.U. and it was flawless.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 513 | Next ›

Stereo Box Set
Stereo Box Set by The Beatles (Audio CD - 2009)