5.0 out of 5 stars The E.U. pressing definitely HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
My review will focus on the manufacturing of the box set not the musical content which has remained timeless and outstanding throughout the years. I recently purchased the Beatles Stereo Vinyl Box Set on Amazon.ca and with great satisfaction was sent the version manufactured in E.U. The vinyl LPs all pressed by Optimal in Germany. I reside in the US and purchased TWO US...
Published 20 months ago by A. DURSO

1.0 out of 5 stars 1 Year Later - Still Shipping FLAWED USA Sets
So I figured a year went by, maybe they have fixed the issues with the USA set or maybe I would get a EU Set (I asked Amazon before ordering and they could not say which one I would get). So I ordered late November 2013, and unfortunately I got the USA box and it is STILL riddled with problems. I contacted Amazon to replace it and they passed me the manufacturer`s email...
Published 10 months ago by JP

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 514 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Superbe collection!, April 2 2013
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Je suis tellement content de l'avoir acheté, les reproductions des vinyls sont fidèles aux originaux UK des années 60s ce qui nous permet de vivre une expérience identique à quelqu'un qui l'achetais à l'époque. Même look de la pochette, même étiquette sur le disque, même l'enveloppe dans Sgt Pepper est colorée comme à l'époque. Quel beau travail de réédition!!

Seul mini hick, il y avait un "tick" sur la pièce "I'm so tired" du White album. Selon moi un disque neuf devrait être impeccable. Cependant, ça ne me tentait pas de renvoyer le coffret entier pour ça alors, je vous confie la "passe passe" que j'ai fait, parlez-en pas à personne ;) Je me suis rendu dans un grand magasin (pas un petit commerçant), j'ai acheté le white album (identique à celui dans le coffret) et j'ai interchangé le disque défectueux en allant me faire rembourser ensuite. Voilà!

Autrement, je suis comblé!

4.0 out of 5 stars NEARLY PERFECT, Nov. 24 2012
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I pride myself as being an avid Beatles-fan, owning almost everything commercially available, and often in multiple versions. I own the British, Japanese, Canadian and U.S. issues of the vinyl releases, along with all versions of the CD issues. I also am an avid audiophile, utilizing good quality equipment, and a top-rated turntable. Having said that, the packaging and 250 page book that comes with this latest set is almost worth the price of the set, alone! With my having listened to 75% of the set thus far, I find the sound rich, and nicely "translated" from the digital master, recreating detail and a low end not discoverable on any other of the vinyl issues, or - for that matter - the CD's. This set will convert anyone with the perception that CD quality outperforms vinyl, and make a believer out of anyone thinking of buying a turntable!

Unfortunatley, although the records come nicely packaged and are not warped, I do find that on a few of the albums, there is highly noticable surface noise in between tracks that becomes less irritating once the song is heard. However, in some cases, this noise can even be heard over some of the quieter passages, and mars the otherwise good impression the set leaves you. As this appears to be occuring on only one or two of the albums, I have to conclude this is perhaps a pressing defect in my set, and one, which when reported to Amazon, was dealt with by way of my choice of replacing the whole set (which would be inefficient, as the new set may have OTHER albums defective), or a credit to replace the defective one with another single copy of that album. I would, however, highly recommend the set, as - even with this irritation - the sound quality is incomparable to anything heard!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but not perfect..., Nov. 23 2012
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
This is my first Amazon purchase. I was very excited to receive my box set, but then started to hear about the numerous poor reviews, particularly on the U.S. Amazon site. It was with some trepidation that I opened my own box set, when it arrived. I'd been warned by a local vinyl retailer that Amazon's packaging could be somewhat haphazard, however I was very pleased with the care taken in the packaging. A large, heavy cardboard outer box, with gel foam molded inserts that secured both the top and bottom of the box set, ensuring it stayed securely in place during shipping. Only gross mishandling by UPS could have caused any damage. Mine looks perfect.
In addition to the care Amazon took in packing the box set, the manufacturers have foam inserts in the box set itself, to prevent the LPs and book from shifting around. The book is amazing! A beautiful hardcover, full of glossy "suitable for framing" photos. (not that you'd ever break the spine and tear the book apart for this purpose...) Not a whole lot of new info if you're a Beatles geek from way back like I am, but a pleasant read about the history & recording techniques used on each album nonetheless. I feel this may be the true collector's item in time. Hard to believe most of their best work was done on 4 track, and on never more than 8.
Now for the vinyl. I'd been warned by a friend that 'The Beatles' (aka The White Album) and 'Abbey Road' in particular had received rather scathing reviews by some purchasers. It is a personal tradition to play "Come Together" as the first song, whenever I get a new Beatles set of any sort, or as a matter of fact any time I buy a new music playing device (turntable, mp3 player, whatever...), so this worked rather well for me from that perspective. I visually inspected all the LPs, and they all appeared to have the hole punched on center, were flat, with no signs of off center stamping or warps. So far, so good.
Then I dropped the needle on to the first cut on 'Abbey Road'. I immediately noticed a significant amount of surface noise, as if the stylus or LP itself were in need of a good cleaning. (my stylus is relatively new, and I clean it before playing each LP) The noise was particularly noticeable in the dead space between "Come Together" and "Something". I stopped there. I then dropped Side 1/Disc 1 of The White Album on the turntable. The same thing. Quite noticeable surface noise. I played from "Back in the USSR" right through to "Glass Onion". Particularly through the more subtle "Dear Prudence" the 'rice krispies' were quite noticeable.
Before panicking and contacting Amazon with my righteous indignation, I decided I'd try running the LPs through my record cleaner. I have a very basic Spin Clean MkII, but it has worked wonders with other vinyl I own, in much, much worse condition. I spent a few hours that night running each LP through the cleaning process. I let them sit overnight, and worried about it all day at work the next day. In the end, thankfully, I worried for nothing.
As soon as I got home from work that day I put "Abbey Road" back on the turntable. Clean as a whistle, both sides clear through. Same with 'The White Album'. (which I fell in love with all over again...) I have since listened to everything but "Past Masters". So far, so good. VERY nice sound. A very minor hiss here or there, but nothing that detracts from the music, and certainly nothing to file a formal complaint with Amazon about. Most played through with crystal clear CD-like quality.
I find that McCartney's bass lines in particular just jump out, in addition to many other treasures for the ears, that I've either forgotten, or were buried in the mix in previous releases. I simply can never get enough of listening to their music. There will never be another band as groundbreaking or prolific as The Beatles.
I am wondering if the paper sleeves with the vinyl liners aren't part of the problem. They can build static, which of course attracts all sorts of crud and corruption. At least in my case a good cleaning seems to have resolved the problem. Yet I have noticed that quite often when I went to turn the LP or remove it from the turntable once I was done listening to it, that there was a noticeable collection of fuzz on the stylus, and occasionally in spots on the vinyl itself, and I played each LP with the dust cover down on my turntable. It is as if static build up on the LP is attracting dust, and drawing it in under the dustcover.
Overall I am extremely pleased with this set, and my first purchase from Amazon. I am sorry to hear others had a less than satisfying experience. For those who may be experiencing the surface noise I mention, unless there are obvious physical flaws with the set you've received (ie. warped vinyl...) consider purchasing a cleaning machine (mine was a mere $80), and running the LPs through this process, then try it again. If the problem is solved, you're golden. If not, you can then return it for either a replacement or refund. I am giving this 4/5 simply because there were some obvious thumbprints or whatever on the vinyl that I had to clean thoroughly to remove (if these are hand bombed into the sleeves at the factory the workers should be wearing static free gloves of some sort...no excuse for that...), and there are minor visual flaws on some of the vinyl. (mild discolouration like streaks, but does not effect the sound at all...) Again though I am very pleased with this set, and will be purchasing the mono set without hesitation when it comes out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but can be better, Oct. 5 2009
SYIU (Richmond, BC) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Stereo Box Set (Audio CD)
I love it. The package is beautiful, high quality booklet with great pictures and info. For the songs, the earlier songs transfered from mono recordings have vocals on one side and instrumentation on the other. I think it would sound better if vocals are mixed on both sides, lead guitar and bass on one side and rhythm guitar (or piano) and drums on the other side, that would create a "surround" feel rather than having two musicians on your left and two musicians on your right. But overall we can hear the drums and bass much clearer than before. Paul is such a brillant bass player and Ringo is the most underated drummer. I really don't see the drum parts can be improved on the Beatles recordings. This is the best money I spent this year.

1.0 out of 5 stars There should be a recall!, Dec 26 2012
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I have never seen a product sold with this poor of quality. It was surreal going through and listening to each record. I was just amazed that this product was cleared to go out for sale. The flaws and damage to these records were ridiculous. I I took notes of the physical damage and sound flaws and filled up 20+ pages. All records had fingerprint smudges, hair, and scratches from the center of the record out to the edge. Every dust jacket was bent and crumpled and the corners of some of the sleeves were bent. Every record was warped and the sound was affected due to this. There were many issues of no-fills and abundant noise due to pressing flaws. The flip-top box that holds the records was damaged as well. The book was in excellent condition, though. I have read that the UK didn't experience these issues because a German company did the pressing. I am disappointed that Capital records would knowingly allow a poor quality record pressing company to produce records for the greatest band in history. This product should be recalled.

We sent this box-set back and received a new one. Though there are a few issues with very minor quality control issues, it is much better. We kept it and are enjoying it very much!

1.0 out of 5 stars C'mon Amazon-what's with the poor packaging!, Dec 24 2012
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I read a lot of negative reviews on this item before I purchased it-warped records, skipping, scratches, etc. It didn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing that it was going to cost $360.00. I purchased it and kept my fingers crossed. Thankfully the records are all fine. I think the most impressive part of this package is the case bound book. It's marvellous with pictures I've never seen before and I've seen a lot of pictures of the Beatles over the past 49 years. I actually saw them perform live-twice! But-Amazon-the shipping was HORRIBLE!!!!! My package was delivered in 2 pieces! One piece was the box itself with the records and book. The other piece was the shrinkwrap with the shipping label on it. This entire package was held together with a piece of flimsy shrinkwrap. The box was wide open and anything could have fallen out. The outer sleeve was torn, the box was dented and scratched. Surely you could have shipped this item in an outer carton to protect it. My advice to everyone is to buy it at Costco. It's cheaper and you can see what the package looks like. I'll limit any future Amazon buying to single books or small items that can give fit in a carton. A job very poorly done Amazon!

3.0 out of 5 stars for such an expensive collection this should be presented in ..., Aug. 28 2014
Ce commentaire est de: Stereo Box Set (Audio CD)
for such an expensive collection this should be presented in a custom made box, a box that keeps the collection in one place ,indicating titles ,content of the collection,this one step would make this an exceptional collection,and a gift that would make a long lasting impression,this was a gift for a grandson regards

2.0 out of 5 stars Where are all the 5 star reviews coming from?, Nov. 19 2012
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I will make my review simple and short.

First of all, this box set which is pressed in USA (at Rainbo) had literally no quality control. At first inspecting the records during the evening (it was dark) I discovered that two records are warped and had "non-fill" issues, scuffs and greasy fingerprints on them. The other day I took my time and watched all of the records in the daylight and discovered that ALL of the records (besides two records) are either warped, have scuffs, or "non-fill" issues. Thats insane! And because of that these records have a lot of sound problems and are visually just painful to look at.

Secondly, I totally understand amazon.ca and that this isnt their fault. Amazon.ca has been totally helpful to sort the problems out and I thank them for that.

If you want to read more on this subject, head to Steve Hoffman Music Forums for example.

Cheers
Marko

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound!, Oct. 5 2009
Robert Villeneuve (Montreal) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Stereo Box Set (Audio CD)
The sound is amazing! It's worth it just to hear every note and every nuance.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb package, Nov. 16 2012
Ringo_Ron (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
The first think I noticed about this box set is the incredible weight, over 20 pounds. Each album and the book are individually shrink wrapped. All the discs are protected within plastic lined paper sleeves. All the expected inserts are there plus some extras. The discs are beautifully pressed on heavy 180 gram vinyl with no sign of warping or any visible defects. I have made it about two thirds of the way through and have found the sound so far to be excellent. My components are all late seventies vintage equipment. Without A/B testing my impression is that many of the earlier tracks reveal noticeably more bass than I recall. The quiet passages between tracks are silent.I guess after acquiring at least 10-15 copies of these albums over the years, this set will be my ultimate versions ... until the next time. Mono box next year, you say!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 514 | Next ›

Stereo Box Set
Stereo Box Set by The Beatles (Audio CD - 2009)