4.0 out of 5 stars If you like other Professor Layton games you'll like this one as well, July 21 2013
This review is from: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box - Nintendo DS Standard Edition (Video Game)
This game is done in typical Professor Layton fashion. You do lots of puzzles, find hint coins and chat with people around the scene of action. I think the only drawback for this one is the fact that much of the story takes place on a train, so the scenery is limited and the train cars are kind of monotonous.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hours of entertaining puzzles, May 2 2012
Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Professor Layton and his peppy sidekick Luke are back in their 2nd grand adventure for the Nintendo DS. This time they're hot on the trail of the Elysian Box, an ornamental artifact said to kill anyone who dares open it.

The Layton games use stylus input only, with the player tapping on characters to begin conversations and on arrows on the map to move around. It's a very simple control set up that just about anyone should be comfortable with, including people who normally never play video games.

While the game does present the player with an enjoyable mystery story and a fun cast of characters, the real meat and potatoes are the game's 150 puzzles. They range in difficulty, with many having immediately obvious solutions, while others can be truly vexing requiring a mixture of trial and error and dumb luck. There seems to be less logic puzzles in this one compared to the first game, with more puzzles that require you to move pieces (be they pegs on a board, chess pieces, or block mazes).

The Diabolical Box throws a few new ideas into the mix with some mini games you play on the side, that are generally more enjoyable than the furniture arrangement in the first game.

If there's one thing I didn't enjoy as much about this game compared to the first, it would be the story's conclusion, which didn't quite add up. That said the game leaves you with a warm feeling and takes you to more places than the first (you won't spend much time on the train), and it lasts longer as a result. The production values are also top notch; the artwork, music, and animated cinematic scenes are simply fantastic. Some of the puzzles are based on classics which have been around for centuries which were cool to see. All things considered, Professor Layton & The Diabolical Box is an enjoyable and relaxing game to play.

PROs:

More than 150 puzzles to solve
Better mini games
User-friendly controls
Charming art style and music
20 hours long
Free weekly downloadable puzzles
Unlocks content in 1st game

CONs:

A couple puzzles are trick questions
Less logic puzzles this time around
Lots of backtracking if you're a completionist
Conclusion less satisfying than 1st game

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Professor Layton Game Yet!, Nov. 10 2009
Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I was impressed by the first Professor Layton game (Curious Village). I bought the second game (Diabolical Box) and was blown away! The puzzles are great, the storyline is interesting, and the graphics are wonderful. I highly recommend this game!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game, Oct. 5 2009
Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This is a really fun game. The UI is intuitive, the puzzles and interesting, challenging and plentiful. Personally, I could have gone for a little less clicking though the story, but the plot itself really wasn't that bad either. A very good buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hours of Distraction, Jan. 13 2010
Dave and Joe (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I'm a 57 year old man who never plays video games - I bought the Diabolical Box on a whim. Most of my use of the DS was for the 'brain game' type products. It began to feel like I was doing it because it was good for me, not because it was fun. So, I tried Diabolical Box. In truth, I thought the story a tad silly but it served as a platform to get from puzzle to puzzle and as such did it's duty. The puzzles though were a wonderful mix, almost all completely different from one another, they were challenging enough to keep the process from feeling childish. They taught me, again, the lesson of reading carefully, something I need to be reminded of. For me, it took just over 15 hours to beat the game. I didn't understand the 'tea' stuff and at no point was it required to put together the camera and the points added up but served no purpose - minor irritants though. It was 15 hours of pure diversion - and I suspect just as good for the brain as the other more 'serious' games.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal, Sept. 2 2014
Well expected thanks :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, Dec 22 2010
Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this game for my boyfriend last year. He spent hours playing it.

I was only able to finish it recently (the story, still working on some of the puzzles) and it was great!
The story is pretty fun and the puzzles range quite a bit in difficulty.

I bought the third one for him for christmas this year. I'd say this is a great series for anyone who enjoys puzzles to play!

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging - couldn't put it down, April 29 2010
Annmarie West (Saint John, New Brunswick Canada) - See all my reviews
Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Although I found the ending to be a bit anti-climatic - it certainly wasn't totally predictable. I enjoyed all the puzzles, I'm still not complete, and I've not been able to put it down since I purchased it. I'm a puzzle nut. There was a good mix of easy and quite challenging puzzles. It was engaging and I'm considering purchasing the other Prof. Layton games. Enjoy!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Adored by my wife, Jan. 10 2010
N. Mohan - See all my reviews
Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Curious Village was enjoyed and was a fairly good game for last year's xmas gift, but this year the Diabolical Box was a smash hit. A fun game with loads of variety in the puzzles in a fun little plot. My wife who never touches video games has been at her Nintendo DS for a week straight. I recommend this game for yourself or as a gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive, Jan. 6 2010
Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This was purchased as a Christmas gift for my wife. She is totally addicted to the game - can't put it down. It's a very challenging game at times and takes patience and perseverance for some of the puzzles and exercises. Well worth the price!

Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box - Nintendo DS Standard Edition