5.0 out of 5 stars I'm your Baby Tonight
This is an excellant dvd. I am so glad I purchased it from Amazon back in March 2012. The music is so clear and uplifting along with Whitney Houston's voice.

Hal Jewell
Published on April 3 2012 by Harold Jewell

2.0 out of 5 stars Like a psychic reading of Whitney's troubled future
Published on Dec 9 2007 by Louis

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm your Baby Tonight, April 3 2012
This review is from: I`m Your Baby Tonight (Audio CD)

Hal Jewell

2.0 out of 5 stars Like a psychic reading of Whitney's troubled future, Dec 9 2007
Louis (Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: I'm Your Baby Tonight (Audio CD)
Nearly two decades after its initial release, it's shocking to read this album as some kind of prophecy of what would eventually happen in Whitney Houston's private life. Hindsight enables the attentive listener to draw parallels between many of these songs and her troubled life in the years that followed the release of this album. Her troubled marriage with Bobby Brown would eventually live up to the subtext of songs like "Anymore", "My name is not Susan" or "Who do you love"; that subtext being a man unable to live up to his promises or too caught up in his own ego to truly commit. Listening to Houston sing lines such as "Will you sentence me to be your lover for life ?" or "When you get down to it, I belong to you" was initially a sweet and romantic statement, but it gets a whole new meaning amidst the many allegations of domestic abuse and infidelities that flew by over the years - culminating in Whitney admitting to substance abuse and eventually divorcing Brown in 2006.

It's sad, however, that the music itself is not as fascinating as the gossip. This album found Whitney slowly turning her back on the audience that made her famous and desperately going for an "urban" sound that was utterly generic; Whitney's voice may have been unique, but records like these were a dime a dozen by the late 80s and early 90s, and they haven't aged gracefully at all. While many subsequent rumours of drug abuse have marred Houston's reputation as a vocalist, on this album she was still in total control of her voice; the problem lies on production, which is cluttered and generic. The title track, "My name is not Susan" and "Anymore" were paint-by-numbers faux funk, and the duet with Stevie Wonder ("We didn't know") could have been a truly delicious meeting of soul superstars, but resulted in a somewhat cold and distant affair. There were still a couple of great ballads ("After we make love" and "Lover for life" are hidden gems in Houston's discography, and "All the man that I need" is one of her most brilliant vocal moments) but even Whitney herself sounded bored with the subpar material she was given, and there are times where she simply gets lost in all of the production gimmicks. The only moment where she sounds as though she's actually having a blast is "Who do you love", a catchy and soulful uptempo number that is one of the album's too rare highlights.

The problem with this album is not that it's awful. A great singer is a great singer, bottom line. The problem is that it doesn't live up to her potential, because she compromised her art to shut up critics who labelled her as being "too white" for an African-American singer. Whitney should have known that soul has nothing to do with trends or even the material itself, but with the performance. As corny as "Saving all my love for you" may have sounded to many people, it will always be a hundred times more soulful than anything she tried to achieve on this album (or on most of her subsequent work, as a matter of fact).

After the somewhat lukewarm reception to this album (the sales figures were fine, but most of the singles flopped and a world tour was cut short), Whitney seemed to wake up to reality with the soundtrack of "The Bodyguard"; however, that was unfortunately not going to last, and each of her subsequent albums has made "I'm your baby tonight" sound like a masterpiece in comparison. Is there even a future for Whitney today ? Let's just hope that one of the album's lines ("I've been to the bottom, now I'm back on top") will also turn out to be prophetic, because Whitney deserves to be remembered as something better than what she decided to be from this album onwards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whitney's Greatest CD, July 19 2004
This review is from: I'm Your Baby Tonight (Audio CD)
If I were alive in 1990 I would have bought 3 CDs. "Mariah Carey", "Wilson Phillips", and "I'm Your Baby Tonight". This CD is truly Whitney's best. Each of the songs are so unique and great to dance to or just ponder over. "I'm Your Baby Tonight" is the dancey-romantic song of the album (every album has one) while "All the Man I Need" is the slow romantic song (another essential of any album). "I Belong To You" is the best and most underrated track on the album. "Who Do You Love" is another great of this album. Surprisingly "We Didn't Know" with Stevie Wonder isn't the best duet Whitney's ever done. "My Name is Not Susan" is a funny song, while "Anymore" is another album jewel. This was Whitney's last studio album for 8 years, but it filled the gap perfectly. Bottom Line: While many don't like this album, it's Whitney's best!

2.0 out of 5 stars Very dissapointing, July 16 2004
This review is from: I'm Your Baby Tonight (Audio CD)
This was a weak very weak follow up to her previous 1987 hit "Whitney". Many poor tracks. Best track is All The MAn I Need.
Whitney, drugs can ruin your voice and that is clear that thats what happened here. AVOID DRUGS AND THIS ALBUM!

3.0 out of 5 stars STILL WORTH BUYING HER WORST ALBUM, June 14 2004
MY NMAE IS NOT SUSAN

5.0 out of 5 stars Whitney's soul! and unreleased videos, Feb. 27 2004
Jamar Kemp (ny, ny USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'm Your Baby Tonight (Audio CD)
Let's start off iwth the killer track"I'm your baby tonight"
Which was produced by babay face and La reid,it was a mesh between,face and whitney.When whitney starts the song off with na eeh na eeh na ehh yeah" you know from that moment on was aface song, I enjoyed listening to this cd.
Remember back in teh day people use to buy the cd because of the single,and never ventured into listening to any other songs......until they became singles.
Well, this was the first cd the I brought that I listened to from the begining to the end.Songs that stood out was"my name is not susan" which there was a video for and wasn't included on the greatest hits for some strange reason.It show whitney's acting skills,and also show you whitney with a edge,the remixed version featured "monie love". Miracle" was also a single that touched me in many ways,there was also a video for that single,it was shown in black and white,to show that we all are hopes and dreams.but one of my fav cuts on the cd was"i belong to you" and that was also a video,it showed clips of my name is not susan,with a story line, the one thing that is sad that majority of these videos might not be ever seen again!
So it you find it down the road on ebay or something capture it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Whitney's best ballad is on this album., Dec 20 2003
This review is from: I'm Your Baby Tonight (Audio CD)
Sure the singles like "My Name Is Not Susan" and "I'm Your Baby Tonight" are some of her best to date, but the real highlight is "All The Man That I Need." I can't believe it didn't do as well as "I Will Always Love You." It's so much better!! Buy it for that ballad alone. This album was so underrated!

1.0 out of 5 stars WHITNEY TRYIN' TO BE PEBBLES OR PAULA ABDUL?, Oct. 27 2003
S. Quinto (Guatemala, Guatemala) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'm Your Baby Tonight (Audio CD)
When Whitney aproached to make her third album she stood by some old time friends, but she managed to team up with the famous producing team of Babyface and LA Reid, somehow that came as a tragical direction for Whitney...she sounded like she wanted to fit in a musical style that wasn't her...but great tracks came as a result "My Name Is Not Susan" although the title is corny and stupid...the song chorus and beat managed to stay in a great taste that captures the late 80's beats, "I'm Your Baby Tonight" first single managed to reached #1 , gracefully because it was a Whitney Houston but it was really far from Whitney's classic upbeat songs, "All The Man That I Need" is one of the songs that really stand aside from the filler cuts that crowed this LP, and surprise this wasn't produced by Babyface....so this album should be call the album that "almost" killed Houston career, saved later by The Bodyguard smashing soundtrack.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional!!!!!, Oct. 9 2003
A. R SCOTT "Alesha Scott" (Houston, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'm Your Baby Tonight (Audio CD)
This is a a great album and I love it just about every track on this album is good a lot of these songs didn't get very much airplay but this is a fantastic album and I sould recommend any Whitney Houston fan to buy this album!!!! I love it is filled with love making songs , and songs about love it is a fantastic album !!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Last Of Whitney's Good Albums, June 5 2003
This review is from: I'm Your Baby Tonight (Audio CD)
Personally, I liked this album and frankly I think it deserves more credit than it got. For one: She didn't over sing ANYTHING, that's what people didn't like, the ballads weren't so "AND I--- WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOOOOU!!" they were just right, she wasn't over singing any of them. Second: She had some pretty good producers uh..Babyface and L.A. Reid who can make anyone sound good or better (In Whitney's case better, in Sheena Easton's case good). It starts off with the title track which has a new jack swiing vibe. "My Name Is Not Susan" (which is my personal favorite) is sharp and to the point and shows that Whitney we all know and love. "All The Man That I Need" is an elegant love song which has a sweet touch to it. "Lover For Life" is an angelic song and flows nicely. "Miracle" is sweet and another Whitney hit (that sadly wasn't included on her Greatest Hits) "I Belong To You" (another personal fave) is an excellent track that is slow and soulful (why wasn't this a single?) "We Didn't Know" which features the great Stevie Wonder is okay and goes pretty nicely but it's not the most likeable duet (they don't even sound passionate at all). "I'm Knockin'" is the best song to end this album with. It's a great song that has a big band edge. There were some terrible moments like "Who Do You Love" which by far is the worst Whitney song I've ever heard (okay, not THE worst but right up there with her new material-see my "Just Whitney" review)and "Anymore" can get on your nerves after awhile. "After We Make Love" is sorta bland but it fares okay, just listen to it every once in awhile. This is actully not a bad album once you get over some bumps and this is when Whitney was in her prime but bigger and better things (The Bodyguard stuff) trampled this album but I say pick it off the floor and play this addicting album.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

I'm Your Baby Tonight
I'm Your Baby Tonight by Whitney Houston (Audio CD - 2012)