countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools Registry

Format: DVD|Change

on June 22, 2013
I was excited and waiting for this Blu-Ray of Star-Trek to arrive,but man was i
disappointed about the sound quality,let me state nothing wrong with movie at all,
i also have the DVD and that's a way better sound,i can't believe they would be so
dumb to do this to such a great movie,it's not even in H.D Master Audio just 5.1 true H.D.
i've never seen Captain Kirk got the heck kicked out of him so much,i hope he kick
some butt in,Star Trek Into darkness,Chris Pine is so good but i have to say,Zachary Quinto
of Heroes,steal the show for me..and i heard Benedict Cumberbatch is a very good villain,
so it should make for a good, [into darkness]..
on November 28, 2012
While I could wish for more captured from William Shatner's Captain Kirk portrayal in the current one, finding the jump to the new portrayal hard to make; I watch this film for the great storyline, superb acting and lovely visuals. It's a refreshing breath of fresh air and frankly Zachary Quinto as Spock carries the film. The whole cast really does an excellent job. Other favorites would be Karl Urban as Bones and Zoe Saldana as Uhura. There's much to enjoy in multiple watchings of this film. To me Kirk's portrayal is the weak link in an otherwise tightly knit, exciting film but hey, it's not my interpretation is it? Well worth buying as I will watch it many times.
on October 3, 2013
Warning: This movie should be restricted to persons 18 years of age or YOUNGER. This movie is an insult to the Star Trek legacy. An overdose of bizarre technology right from the start, a strange plot and stranger actors. I was tempted to trash it after the first 5 minutes, but let it continue hoping for some improvement or clarity. But I finally clicked it off when the young Kirk ran into a snow cave while being chased by a huge weird creature and was saved by a torch wielding elder Spock. Another crash course in brain surgery from Hollywood. And people wonder why I haven't set foot in a movie theatre in over 20 years.
on December 9, 2013
Although I feel some parts of the movie were a little f'ed IMO, mostly when it came to young Spock's personality, plus how everyone just let Spock beat on Kirk (mirroring todays society lol) and then everyone being fine with Kirk being captain all over again and completely switching battle plans, young vulcans who have not gone through puberty yet have been trained to control emotions already YET insult each other ridiculously..., having a complete cadet crew on a flagship vessel, etc etc etc...
The movie was still super badass, I've watched it 3 times and i would still watch it again =D
on December 3, 2010
I watched in the cinema and since then I've wanted to buy the Blu-ray. I really liked the way the characters are portraited in the movie because it reminds me of the original characters of the series and I also think that the choice of actors was very good. A lot of my friends didn't want to watch it because they were afraid that they would not understand the story, but this movie can be seen as an action movie, so even if the person doesn't know very much about the original series, it will love this movie. I really like it and I can watch it over and over again.
on January 6, 2011
I am by far, not much of a fan of the Star Trek things. Sure I enjoyed the Borgs in Star Trek Voyager and The Next Generation, but that about sums it up for me.

I went to see this movie, knowing very little about the original Star Trek characters. I knew of the name Kirk, McCoy and Spock, that's about it. So I found this movie very intriguing, no boring moments what so ever. When the movie ended, I was almost disappointed that it came to an end! I wanted to watch more and more.

This movie, made me want to watch the Star Trek series :)
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon March 27, 2010
Star Trek - what a great movie. I am no trecky nor sci-fi fan, but this movie was really good. I watched the original Star Trek as a kid and thought that this prequel movie hit all the right marks and shows Captain J T Kirks relationship with Spock and how it all came about. Seeing the original Spock was also an added bonus and his wonderful point-um-up ears!

Good effects on the movie, great storyline and many good similarities between the orginal 70s-80s cast and the modern ones for the movie. Enjoyable and worth the watch.
on January 26, 2016
A thrill a minute re-imagining of the classic characters - the new Star Trek features an alternate timeline allowing JJ Abrams a sense of freedom from just retelling the same old stories again. JJ pulls this off while staying true to a general history of the series, along with the usual staples of a seemingly unstoppable villain, conflicted heroes, personal sacrifice, and ultimate triumph. Improved technology makes this a visual masterpiece, an all around enjoyable film to watch.
on April 3, 2010
J.J. Abrams asked the questions of his creative staff when he began this Star Trek movie odyssey, Can we make it cool? and How can we make it for everyone? He certainly answered the first question in the decidedly affirmative and accomplished the second query when he created this marvelous film. The acting is incredible with actors that have the same magical chemistry working together that the cast of the original Star Trek series had. Zachary Quinto and Chris Pine are perfect mirror images in both demeanor and appearance of Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner playing the starring roles of Spock and Captain James T. Kirk respectively. I was particularly impressed with the versatility of Zachary Quinto's acting skills, because Spock in this film is a vastly different character than the one I have enjoyed seeing him play in the television series Heroes where he is the unpredictable villain-turned-hero Sylar. The rest of the talented cast members do not disappoint either.

The second disk in this set is fascinating. It includes deleted scenes which I would love to see eventually incorporated into the film. While they were not absolutely necessary, those scenes added meaning to the storyline of the movie. There are also wonderful interviews and some behind-the-scenes peeks into the creative process of producing this film. There is a casting feature that gives us an insightful look into the complicated process of finding the talented actors willing to make the attempt to fill some big shoes and emulate the iconic actors that started the Star Trek phenomenon.

What I loved most was the direction that J.J. Abrams took in developing this new Star Trek adventure. I have been a Star Trek fan since the original series first aired in 1966 when I was 10 years old. My mother, father, brother and I all watched it together as a family every week when each new episode aired. I have seen every episode of all five of the series created for television as well as all eleven now of the movies produced for the silver screen. I was only sad that they did not produce a movie to conclude Star Trek: Voyager with Chakotay marrying Seven-of-Nine. Oh, well! I was devastated, however, when the television producers called it quits after Star Trek: Enterprise. It was my great joy, however, to see J.J. Abrams bypass the problems associated with prequel productions by inventing an alternate time-line for the original Star Trek storyline in this movie. That brilliant maneuver made it possible to create an entirely new and different story while still maintaining the spirit of the original show along with the development of the characters and their relationships with one another. It also leaves the creators with limitless freedom to come up with more new stories. I truly hope that they will not stop with this movie and will go on to give us more Star Trek in series form on television. I and my children have grown up with Star Trek, and I would love to see my grandchildren do so as well. If not, this movie is still a very worthwhile experience, and it was great fun to wander the decks of the Enterprise again.

After posting the comments above, I decided to read the other reviews that have been posted here. I was shocked by the many vehement criticisms of the visual effects in this movie. So, I have decided to add this postscript. Personally, I thought the special effects were stunning, but then I am also an avid book reader and a published author, so perhaps visual effects are not as important to me as they are to others who prefer visual forms of entertainment. Even so, however, the original Star Trek series was never about visual effects. It was about the well developed stories which included complex larger-than-life characters. In fact, when the network television moguls tried their best to kill off Star Trek, Gene Roddenberry's budget for visual effects was cut leaving him with little more than cardboard and paper mache to create his sets with. Cheesy primitive sets still did not stop the fans from watching the stories created in the ensuing episodes. Since those tactics did not work the network canceled the series outright, but did that stop the adoring fans? It certainly did not, and the network offices were inundated with literally millions of letters demanding more Star Trek.

When the entertainment industry decided that the fans could not be ignored, they appropriated proper funding for better visual effects for the movies and new series that followed. No one will deny that better visual effects make watching Star Trek a lot more fun, but unless you have a great story to tell no amount of money and time spent on visual effects is going to make it worth watching. This movie is a truly great story. Even Leonard Nimoy, who had decided that he would never play the part of Spock again after the few episodes he guest starred in during Star Trek: The Next Generation, was moved nearly to tears when he was presented with this story line and realized that J.J. Abrams and his creative team really understood what the original Star Trek was all about. Then he enthusiastically put his ears back on and took on the role of his endearing character, Spock, once more.

Karen Dearing (Laurel Cain Haws)
on May 25, 2013
think the reboot is awesome. The new actors are super at portraying the old actors. The story line is good. Nice to see some of the back ground of Kirk and Spock that wasn't in any of the other movies or series. Went to see the new movie last night. I thought the first was better anyway not everyone will agree. There are no extras with this disc. I bought this version because of the price and I never look at the special features anyway.