5.0 out of 5 stars Star Trek: the alternate timeline angle: BRILLIANT!
J.J. Abrams asked the questions of his creative staff when he began this Star Trek movie odyssey, Can we make it cool? and How can we make it for everyone? He certainly answered the first question in the decidedly affirmative and accomplished the second query when he created this marvelous film. The acting is incredible with actors that have the same magical chemistry...
Published on April 3 2010 by Karen L. Haws-Dearing

1.0 out of 5 stars Overdose of Stupidity
Warning: This movie should be restricted to persons 18 years of age or YOUNGER. This movie is an insult to the Star Trek legacy. An overdose of bizarre technology right from the start, a strange plot and stranger actors. I was tempted to trash it after the first 5 minutes, but let it continue hoping for some improvement or clarity. But I finally clicked it off when the...
Published 12 months ago by Reid Tucker

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Je ne m'intéressait plus à Star treck depuis longtemps et ..., Aug. 3 2014
Jean Fortin (Quebec,Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Trek (Bilingual) (DVD)
Je ne m'intéressait plus à Star treck depuis longtemps et ce film m'a réconcilié avec le concept . Les liens entre les personnages s'inicient de belle façon , l'intrigue est soutenue et les effets spéciaux sont nombreux et réussis .

5.0 out of 5 stars A love hate relationship., Oct. 22 2009
Simon Bergeron - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
It seems like many fans in this review column are very separated: they either love the movie or hate it.

To my special knowledge, I would say I just enjoyed myself like a Star Trek movie didn't do to me since Undiscovered Country (that's Star Trek 6). The Next Generation movies were a failed attempt (to my taste), at best, to try and breathe life in an almost lifeless franchise and Nemesis (that's Star Trek 10) killed it with underwhelming adventures and over-predictable plot twists.

This Star Trek tried to remake the excitement of the franchise while adding that spicy adventurous flavour, adding more action than dialogue-only-oriented scenes (don't get me wrong, I love dialogue), but there was an overabundance of it in the more recent films that threatened its frail balance.

Not only did it try and do that, it also did the impossible (still to my taste): to be a remake AND a sequel. the special effects are nothing like we've ever seen (I can't wait for the Blu-Ray) in a Star Trek movie; the action is relentless AND doesn't interfere with the story; major plot-points are rewritten in my face as I watch, helpless, yet amazed at how the script boldly goes where no Star Trek has gone before (cue the undying music).

Although I can't see how they can better themselves with the next movie, I also have to remind myself that there was also a dead franchise that was revived with the efforts of a great director: Batman.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 10 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Whoa, watch the Spock(s), June 10 2014
There was some agonizing over the move to replace the seemingly irreplaceable original cast of the iconic series. This vanished when people recognized just what a fun and imaginative movie J.J. Abrams had created. It was clear from the beginning that this was a happening story where all the actors were going to dive into their characters and have some fun. Even the dastardly Romulans are kind of cool. The big challenge was how respectful they needed to be to the original series and where to monkey with the premise. Abrams strikes the balance beautifully; remember above all this movie is fun. I think Chris Pine makes a good Kirk, Zoe Saldana an amazing Uhura. Karl Urban and Simon Pegg are great comic relief but casting both Zachary Quinto and Leonard Nimoy in the same movie is a stroke of brilliance. Nimoy made the original series and Quinto is a worthy heir. Having them both in the film is priceless.

5.0 out of 5 stars a complete movie, June 6 2014
has everything. could do without the beast chasing, noisy, uninteresting, non-plot vital scene but the rest is eminently interesting. Gives one hope that the next star wars will be an updated adult version of a space story with good philosophy and dilemmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great picture!, May 21 2014
BJ (Camlachie, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Trek (Bilingual) (DVD)
This is he one I mentioned that is now on dvd. My girlfriend is so happy now that she has both. Since she doesn't have a Blue ray player I couldn't lend her mine and now I don't have to. Great show!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't help but love it!, May 17 2014
I saw "Into Darkness" before seeing the original and couldn't help but be ridiculously entertained. I figured I should see where it all began so I paid a visit to Amazon, and snagged this one. Well, there's something about the way the movie pays homage to the camp and absurdity of the original series (which I love) while still being a solid movie in its own right that I find pretty incredible. The cast is fun and thoughtfully put together. They all seem to work so well off of one another and the chemistry feels genuine. Chris Pine is adorable as a Kirk just cocky enough to be charming and not arrogant, and Zachary Quinto pretty much nails the essence of Spock while making him more multi dimensional and relateable. Definitely worth checking out, Trekkie or not!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Start Trek anything!, March 9 2014
This review is from: Star Trek (Bilingual) (DVD)
I really loved this movie in the theatre, love the actors. Some really funny scenes if you're a Star Trek fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, Feb. 5 2014
Great actors and digital editing. Just saw it for the first time and I enjoyed every bit of it. If you love Star Wars you will love this!

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid re-boot, Feb. 2 2014
K. Gordon - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Entertaining, with some great effects, and some actual acting and heart. My only disappointment was that, as the film went on the
action took over to the point where the emotions got a bit lost, and the climactic battle felt kind of predictable. The action is fun, but it gets repetitive, but the human scenes have humor and freshness. Not a great movie, but much better than most Hollywood junk.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

Star Trek (Two-Disc Special Edition) (2009)
CDN$ 42.99 CDN$ 26.77