5.0 out of 5 stars Star Trek: the alternate timeline angle: BRILLIANT!
J.J. Abrams asked the questions of his creative staff when he began this Star Trek movie odyssey, Can we make it cool? and How can we make it for everyone? He certainly answered the first question in the decidedly affirmative and accomplished the second query when he created this marvelous film. The acting is incredible with actors that have the same magical chemistry...
Published on April 3 2010 by Karen L. Haws-Dearing

1.0 out of 5 stars Overdose of Stupidity
Warning: This movie should be restricted to persons 18 years of age or YOUNGER. This movie is an insult to the Star Trek legacy. An overdose of bizarre technology right from the start, a strange plot and stranger actors. I was tempted to trash it after the first 5 minutes, but let it continue hoping for some improvement or clarity. But I finally clicked it off when the...
Published 12 months ago by Reid Tucker

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Star Trek fan or not, you will enjoy this movie!, Jan. 6 2011
This review is from: Star Trek (Bilingual) (DVD)
I am by far, not much of a fan of the Star Trek things. Sure I enjoyed the Borgs in Star Trek Voyager and The Next Generation, but that about sums it up for me.

I went to see this movie, knowing very little about the original Star Trek characters. I knew of the name Kirk, McCoy and Spock, that's about it. So I found this movie very intriguing, no boring moments what so ever. When the movie ended, I was almost disappointed that it came to an end! I wanted to watch more and more.

This movie, made me want to watch the Star Trek series :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Star Trek - what a great movie, March 27 2010
This review is from: Star Trek (Bilingual) (DVD)
Star Trek - what a great movie. I am no trecky nor sci-fi fan, but this movie was really good. I watched the original Star Trek as a kid and thought that this prequel movie hit all the right marks and shows Captain J T Kirks relationship with Spock and how it all came about. Seeing the original Spock was also an added bonus and his wonderful point-um-up ears!

Good effects on the movie, great storyline and many good similarities between the orginal 70s-80s cast and the modern ones for the movie. Enjoyable and worth the watch.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Visual Feast, Nov. 17 2009
Peter Cantelon (Morden, Manitoba, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The Blu-Ray three disk package does not disappoint. I watched on 50" widescreen 1080p and the visuals were flawless. I kept looking for seams in Spock's ears etc. and all the effects were spectacularly done. Of course this reboot of the series had to be perfect for the movie to work...Star Trek has been done to death and only one reboot has arguably been decent - Star Trek: The Next Generation (and that was because he was involved in its creation).

There are many awesome features to be had throughout the disks including deleted scenes, bloopers and documentaries galore. Disk three has a digital copy of the movie for iTunes and iPod which works perfectly (already loaded onto my iPod).

All in all shining example of what Blu-Ray can do to a fantastic sci-fi film with an amazing story and cast of characters. No doubt there will be more of the crew of the starship Enterprise to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome movie, Jan. 12 2011
A lot of things blow up in this movie from beginning to end. I was looking for this movie on Blu-ray but was not willing to pay more than 25 bucks including shipping. The seller was able to satisfy all of my requirements and more since I received a Blu-ray copy, a regular DVD copy and a digital copy for my computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Je ne m'intéressait plus à Star treck depuis longtemps et ..., Aug. 3 2014
Jean Fortin (Quebec,Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Trek (Bilingual) (DVD)
Je ne m'intéressait plus à Star treck depuis longtemps et ce film m'a réconcilié avec le concept . Les liens entre les personnages s'inicient de belle façon , l'intrigue est soutenue et les effets spéciaux sont nombreux et réussis .

5.0 out of 5 stars A love hate relationship., Oct. 22 2009
Simon Bergeron - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
It seems like many fans in this review column are very separated: they either love the movie or hate it.

To my special knowledge, I would say I just enjoyed myself like a Star Trek movie didn't do to me since Undiscovered Country (that's Star Trek 6). The Next Generation movies were a failed attempt (to my taste), at best, to try and breathe life in an almost lifeless franchise and Nemesis (that's Star Trek 10) killed it with underwhelming adventures and over-predictable plot twists.

This Star Trek tried to remake the excitement of the franchise while adding that spicy adventurous flavour, adding more action than dialogue-only-oriented scenes (don't get me wrong, I love dialogue), but there was an overabundance of it in the more recent films that threatened its frail balance.

Not only did it try and do that, it also did the impossible (still to my taste): to be a remake AND a sequel. the special effects are nothing like we've ever seen (I can't wait for the Blu-Ray) in a Star Trek movie; the action is relentless AND doesn't interfere with the story; major plot-points are rewritten in my face as I watch, helpless, yet amazed at how the script boldly goes where no Star Trek has gone before (cue the undying music).

Although I can't see how they can better themselves with the next movie, I also have to remind myself that there was also a dead franchise that was revived with the efforts of a great director: Batman.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 10 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Whoa, watch the Spock(s), June 10 2014
There was some agonizing over the move to replace the seemingly irreplaceable original cast of the iconic series. This vanished when people recognized just what a fun and imaginative movie J.J. Abrams had created. It was clear from the beginning that this was a happening story where all the actors were going to dive into their characters and have some fun. Even the dastardly Romulans are kind of cool. The big challenge was how respectful they needed to be to the original series and where to monkey with the premise. Abrams strikes the balance beautifully; remember above all this movie is fun. I think Chris Pine makes a good Kirk, Zoe Saldana an amazing Uhura. Karl Urban and Simon Pegg are great comic relief but casting both Zachary Quinto and Leonard Nimoy in the same movie is a stroke of brilliance. Nimoy made the original series and Quinto is a worthy heir. Having them both in the film is priceless.

5.0 out of 5 stars a complete movie, June 6 2014
has everything. could do without the beast chasing, noisy, uninteresting, non-plot vital scene but the rest is eminently interesting. Gives one hope that the next star wars will be an updated adult version of a space story with good philosophy and dilemmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great picture!, May 21 2014
BJ (Camlachie, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Trek (Bilingual) (DVD)
This is he one I mentioned that is now on dvd. My girlfriend is so happy now that she has both. Since she doesn't have a Blue ray player I couldn't lend her mine and now I don't have to. Great show!

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

Star Trek (Two-Disc Special Edition) (2009)
CDN$ 42.99 CDN$ 26.77