1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Ignorance Is My New Best Friend, Oct. 10 2009
Dave_42 "Dave_42" (Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Brand New Eyes (Audio CD)
I had never heard Paramore before, at least not that I am aware of, but for the first time in a long time I heard a song on the radio and knew immediately that I had to buy the CD. Unfortunately I heard the single "Ignorance" a couple of months before the release, so I had to wait for the release of the album, but it was worth the wait. Paramore is an indie rock band from Tennessee which was formed in 2004. "Brand New Eyes" is Paramore's third album and was released on September 29th, 2009.

The album explodes with energy, drive, and powerful vocals, as the first two tracks "Careful" and "Ignorance" set a level which cannot be maintained, though the group certainly gives it a good try for the most part. The third piece, "Playing God", drops off a bit, but not too far, and "Brick by Boring Brick" moves another notch closer to the quality of the opening pieces. "Turn it Off" is a it more melodic, yet still has an underlying energy. "The Only Exception" is a ballad, one where the singer confronts her fear of being in love when faced with the reality that she is in love. A nice song, and it finishes off the first half of this album well.

"Feeling Sorry" starts off the second half of the album, and is a sign of the weaker nature of the second half. This trend is continued with "Looking Up", and "Where the Lines Overlap". In particular the transition from "Feeling Sorry" to "Looking Up" makes one feel like they are hearing the same song again, and that doesn't change until one is well into "Looking Up". "Misguided Ghosts" is a bit better and at least offers a more distinct feel than the previous pieces, but still leaves something to be desired. "All I Wanted" is a definite improvement to close the original album. The CD I have includes a bonus track called "Decode". This is a great track, as good as the first two pieces on the CD, and the CD really benefits from its inclusion.

Paramore is Hayley Williams (vocals), Josh Farro (guitar), Zac Farro (drums), Jeremy Davis (bass), and Taylor York (guitar). Hayley Williams and Josh Farro do the majority of the songwriting, with some contributions from Taylor York as well. A good portion of this album merits 5 stars, but there are some rather average pieces which bring the rating down to 4 stars for me. Now that my ignorance is gone, I will have to seek out other albums from this group.

Brand New Eyes
Brand New Eyes by Paramore (Audio CD - 2009)