I make Youtube videos and needed a decent lavalier to use with my smartphone, I would really give this a 3.5 if I could.
NOTE: When I purchased this it was only 35$ the seller has since increased the price

PROS

1) About 18-20 feet of cord is provided so if you need to be further from the camera this may work for you.

2) Comes with everything needed to plug and play on your smartphone.

3) BLOCKS BACKGROUND NOISE! Reasonable sound quality that blocks out background noise, but you need to speak with a good volume, if you're speaking to low it may sound a little muffled. If you are in a small room with no background noise my smartphones built in microphone actually works better than this, but when theres background noise this is great.

CONS

1) They only give you one fuzzy muffler for the microphone that I lost after the first day because it doesn't stay on! These are only worth .0001 cents at best so at least throw in 10 or so geez!

2) Sound quality is far from professional grade but will work to omit background noise...

3) No case provided.
on April 25, 2016
Good Microphone and no one can beat the price.

I used it to record my lectures for udemy and it worked great.

Recommended product for small recordings, lectures and even podcasts.
on February 13, 2015
I received this product yesterday. I first snapped the microphone into the holder on the clip tie: the holder broke.

Then, I plugged it to my recorder: no signal at the output of the mic.

I even bought a new LR44 battery to replace the one that was shipped with the Lav : nothing.

So I read many review on the website of Amazon and http://www.audio-technica.com/, and I found that similar problem like this has happened already. In a December 2, 2014 response to a disappointed customer Audio-Technica suggested on its website to contact their support team in Canada to get help with the issues.

"For consumer audio products contact:
Erikson Consumer
Head Office
21000 Transcanada
Baie D’Urfé, Québec
Tel: 514-457-2555 Toll Free: 800-567-3275
Fax: 514-457-0055 Toll Free: 866-450-5507
E-mail: info@eriksonconsumer.com
Web site: www.eriksonconsumer.com "

I just called them, and was very disappointed. They recognized that the holder is "fragile". I was expecting that they could replace it with a better one, but they just told me to return it to Amazon.

Conclusion:
Even though I received a brand new mic that cannot function, This Lavalier microphone is mechanically weak.

I really needed this device for an important press conference. without it I failed recording proper quality sound... I'm really disappointed.
on September 6, 2015
J'ai reçu le micro rapidement, et il fonctionne très bien comme prévu.
Je connaissais déjà ce modèle, d'un collègue qui utilise le même.
Attention: la petite mousse est difficile à poser sur le micro et le morceau de plastique qui tient le micro sur la pincette est fragile.

L'emballage était un peu abîmé à la réception, mais c'est probablement dans le transport.
on February 4, 2016
I am very pleased with this purchase so far. I had to do some research to be able to use it with my Moto X play. I had to download a new app, to record, because my phone does not allow you to by pass internal mic for this external one, that is why i had to download a new app.
on December 8, 2014
Good sound quality and it's a big plus that it comes with the adapter so you can hook it to a cellphone. Without it your phone would see it as headphones.

Big issue is the volume pack takes a little battery. If the battery starts to fade the signal gets really quiet and often I forget completely to flick the switch to off. I've ordered a Giant Squid lav as I really don't want the ATR to die mid video on me. This'll be a handy backup.
on March 2, 2016
Design issues
The TRRS to TRS splitter is very fragile. I had to trash it after 1-2 months of usage.
The wind filter does not stay in place, lost it in 1 day.
The mic does not stay attached to its clip.

Utilization type issue
Condenser mic is not best for cell phone utilisation. When the phone rings, you have to accept the call and find the mic on/off switch on the device (unless you're OK changing batteries often). A dynamic microphone would have been more appropriate.

Conclusion
I may use it for specific tasks, but not on a dialy basis.
on April 23, 2015
Package did not appear to be completely sealed on arrival - it looks like it was opened. Plugged it directly into a Nikon D5300. Signal was lost from time to time depending on how the 20 ft cable was twisted or bent - or how the preamp component was positioned on the talent's belt. When the signal did come through, the audio quality was acceptable enough for our purposes - It was frustrating to use for projects with little time to waste.
After 5-6 light uses, the circuitry/wiring on this lav mic has completely crapped out.
on April 7, 2015
Pretty good audio recording quality at the price point. the clip for the mic broke within minutes as the plastic was flimsy, i luckily had a professional grade metal one on hand. for light usage and learning how to use a mic its a good buy. if its going to be used for more intense purposes consider paying for better products.
on November 2, 2014
Finally! A mic that works loud and clear, and simple too. Even better, I needed this for an active project I was working on, when my 'former' mic stopped working after a long history of problems. So I picked up this Audio Technica model on the off chance that it would work with my little video camera, and it does. Like I say, loud and clear. On-time delivery too, everything came together just as I expected. Whew!

See 1 answered question