4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting album
Any DCD fan will want this album. It's also not everyone's cup of tea since it's hard to pinpoint the genre. A bit new age, folk with electronica that sounds like ancient musical instruments.
Published 3 months ago by Pierre Coach

3.0 out of 5 stars Good ambient
I like this CD, but don't find myself wanting to listen to it again and again. If I find myself in the semi-dark ambient mood, I pop it in and take a listen. Overall, a good purchase, but not my favorite DCD collection.
Published on Nov. 2 2001 by Brian J. Campbell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting album, April 12 2014
Pierre Coach (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Evil Sick Beautiful, Sept. 19 2002
Jason Bylinowski "sonic monkey" (Augusta, GA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Serpent's Egg (Audio CD)
This album was my introduction to DCD, and remains my favorite although it certainly has no shortage of competition from their later efforts.
I don't know how to relate to you how truly inspiring "The Host of Seraphim" is to me, both as a fan of the music and as a songwriter myself. I can only say with any effect that, for once, the title of a song like "Host of Seraphim" does not belie the pretense of the artist. It has that title because it REDEFINES the word angelic in my mind. I spent a great deal of time listening to Brendan Perry's takes on the album, mainly because when I was younger I was always very skeptical, being a man, that a woman's voice could have the same reach and dramatic effect as a man. And that I would equate that to Perry's voice is no mistake, because there is no doubt that he is a gifted singer, and Perry's slow sonorous tones in "Ulysses" still (and always will) give me the willies....but about three years after I first got this album (and was then listening to their later albums), I pulled out Serpent's Egg again and realized that the real depth of this album will always remain with Gerrard's songs, and particularly with "Host". The only gripe I could possibly have about this album is that they got the song order backwards...."Ulysses" really would have been more appropriate as an opener, and "Host" as the powerful finale. Instead, I find myself reordering the tracks in Winamp, but that's really not a major (and hardly a minor) complaint.
I don't want to waste myself away trying to describe the way this album moves me - and truly it would be a wasted effort, because I don't even think I'm through processing my reaction to it in a lot of ways musically - but to the potential listener I say: if you are curious about DCD at all, you can safely start here (or at the compilation called A Passage In Time, which contains both of the above-mentioned songs) and you'll never have to wonder again what all the hype is about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simplemente Dead Can Dance la mejor banda de la tierra, Aug. 19 2009
Victor A (México Capital) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Serpents Egg (Ltd Ed) (Audio CD)
Este disco es uno de las mejores creaciones de la banda, si bien ningun disco se puede calificar de malo o al menos de regular, The Serpen's Egg si se puede calificar de imprescindible, cierra los ojos y déjate llevar por los pasajes musicales mas exquisitos que es capaz de crear esta producción de principio a fin. La potencia y a la vez dulzura de la voz de Lisa Gerrard y el genio musical de Brendan Perry son simplemene incomparables con cualquier otra agrupación en la tierra. Si esto fuera poco esta remasterización ha limpiado con buen resultado el sonido del disco original, si bien se ha adelgazado las frecuencias bajas un poco, existe una mejor ubicación de los instrumentos, una mayor claridad de escenario y el disfrute es mucho mayor. Indispensable disco si eres fan del género, de la banda o amante de la música alternativa.

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid!, Feb. 6 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Serpent's Egg (Audio CD)
Hypnotic! Grows in your head like a mind virus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless music, Aug. 2 2002
This review is from: The Serpent's Egg (Audio CD)
I was introduced to DCD in 1989. After first hearing Serpent's Egg and the 1st Album, I knew I had to get these in my collection. After being a DJ at a club or two, I realised I had invisible blinders on. Blinders that had me in the usual tones of rock, country, pop, blues, old time, swing, etc... Hearing Dead Can Dance was such a release and a coming out musically. These albums are all TIMELESS in the fact that I never grow tired of listening to. Spiritchaser sounds as fresh as Spleen and Ideal. I have had the chance to see them live on the Spiritchaser Tour and can say I was in awe. It is too bad that DCD has gone their separate ways, hopefully one day they will see fit to reunite. This music is as crisp and fresh as viewing nature's wonders from a morning sunrise to an evening's eclipse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly Atmospheric, June 26 2002
This review is from: The Serpent's Egg (Audio CD)
Serpent's Egg is my personal introduction to the drenching atmospherics of DCD. This album is the creepy, beautiful, relaxing album that I have been looking for. As a pure extreme heavy metal listener, this album really took me off guard. It's beautiful, yet somehow hauntingly terrifying. The songs, the vocals, and the instruments will put you in a trance and warp your mind. For those who havent heard this, I highly recommend listening to it. Believe the hype, no matter how small it may be, and buy this album. All of the 5 star reviews reflect how good of an album this really is. For metal-heads how want something different, maybe something to relax to- or something new to explore, try this album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ruhig, feierlich und mysteriös, Nov. 17 2001
This review is from: The Serpent's Egg (Audio CD)
In einer Welt, wo "Harry Potters" Phantasiereisen Buch- und Kinorekorde machen, da ist die mysteriöse Musik von "Dead Can Dance" bei vielen willkommen.
Das Album liegt zeitlich zwischen Aion und Within the Realms of a Dying Sun. Es hat die mittelalterlichen Elemente-Assoziationen des ersteren und die ruhige Atmosphäre (aber nicht so düster) wie "Within the ...").
Manche Tracks werden von einer Art Kirchenorgen begleitet (The Host of Seraphim) und "Severance" einer der besten Tracks des Duos überhaupt und eine gesangliche Sternstunde von Brendan Perry. Auf diesen beiden Stücken ist die Stimmung sehr relaxed und ernst, im Radio könnte man unbekannterweise auch glauben, es sei eine Gottesdienst-Übertragung eines fernen Landes an einem Feiertag. Das gleiche gilt meines Hörens für "Orbis de Ignis" daß sich wie eine Art erfundener gregorianischer Choral anhört (nur Gesang und manchmal eine Glocke, die auch auf Aion zu hören war.
"The Writing of my fathers Hand" ist eine schöne Ballade von Lisa Gerrard und klingt fast überirdisch schön. Fast zu schön für meinen Geschmack oder um es einem Gast vorzuspielen, der die Gruppe nicht kennt. Ähnlich "fast zu schön um wahr zu sein" klingt der Vocal-Track "Song of Sophia".
"Mother Tongue" hat einen monotonen Percussion-Hintergrund, eine Streicher-Begleitung und Lisas Stimme. Die Percussion ist aber nicht so bombastisch Wagnermäßig wie auf "Spleen and Ideal"
"Ulysses" getragen von Perry's Stimme hat Harpsichord/Streicher Elemente, die sich rhytmisch strukturieren.
Trotz der vielen Rezensionen scheint sich kein Hörer zu wagen, die Musik von "Dead Can Dance" näher zu analysieren. Begriffe wie "keltisch" oder "germanisch" (was ist das eigentlich?), gotisch (ebenso ein Gummiwort wo man viel interpretieren kann), mittelalterlich (wirklich oder nur assoziativ).
Die Gruppe hat(te) wirklich ein perfektes Image: Für ihre Plattenaufnahmen liesen sie sich sehr viel Zeit, perfekt produziert. Obwohl aus der "gotischen" Szene der Grufties kommend (?) spricht ihre Weltmusik viele Menschen an, die Umsätze dürften das zeigen.
Dead Can Dance ist die einzige Gruppe, wo ich noch nie eine ganz negative Rezension gelesen habe, ihr Nimbus und Ausstrahlung ist so erhaben, daß man eigene Kritik an den Musikern fast als sakrale Lästerung empfinden würde, was auch ich nicht tun werde. Nur in so weit, daß ich der CD nur 4 Sterne gebe statt 5. Es ärgert mich ein wenig, daß die meisten "regulären" CDs der Gruppe nur ca. 35 Minuten lang sind, auch diese. Brendan/Lisa vergebe mir diese Kritik! Auch die CD-Covers sind so spärlich gestaltet, daß sie Analysen ausschalten und zur eigenen Phantasie Lauf lassen. Man glaubt sich in ein Völkerkunde-Museum versetzt, mit Fotografien von uralten Kultgegeständen wie Masken, ohne natürlich das Land und den Herkunftsort zu nennen. Jedenfalls scheinen die Covers auch so bedeutungsvoll und tiefsinnig gestaltet, daß die Objekte zur Wichtigkeit und Suche im Zentrum eines "Indiana Jones" Filmes stehen könnten.
Wie hat die Gruppe es nur gemacht, sich so ein Image/Aura zu verschaffen? Wirklich faszinierend und beneidenswert. Hat sich die Gruppe die Rhytmusstrukturen, die seltsame Sprache in den weiblichen Vocals und die englisch-sprachigen Mystiktexte von Perry nur ausgedacht (wie Harry Potter) oder ist sie Essenz einer ausgeklügelten archäologischen Musikstudie des Paares? Niemand wird wohl dieses Geheimnis lüften, vielleicht ein Forscher im 4. Jahrtausend, der darauf eine neue Bewegung und Theorie aufbaut?
Diese CD ist unbedingt anschaffenswert, eine der besten von "Dead can Dance", etwas getragener und ruhiger wie die meisten anderen. Wenn man Perry einmal ausklammert ist sie in manchen Tracks schon den Soloplatten von Lisa Gerrard ähnlich.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, Nov. 5 2001
G. Alfonsi "gpat" (Asuncion Paraguay) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Serpent's Egg (Audio CD)
If you want to transport yourself to other worlds, listen to Dead Can Dance!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good ambient, Nov. 2 2001
Brian J. Campbell (Delaware, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Serpent's Egg (Audio CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars DCD continues to evolve, and the results are surprising, June 2 2001
This review is from: The Serpent's Egg (Audio CD)
Coming two years after their perfect WITHIN THE REALM OF A DYING SUN, Dead Can Dance's 1989 album THE SERPENT'S EGG shows the band continuing to evolve. Here, Dead Can Dance reached an interesting turning point. Lisa Gerrard's vocals begin to show the ethnic influence that would come to the front in 1993's INTO THE LABYRINTH, while the interest in older musical instruments foreshadows the renaissance-themed AION.
This album is especially remarkable because it departs from the use of orchestral musicians and lush atmospherics to give a more personal glimpse of Lisa and Brendan's partnership.
THE SERPENT'S EGG opens with "The Host of Seraphim," which may be their finest song ever. Featuring Lisa's pious wailing over the backing vocals of David Navarro Sust and Brendan Perry's drums, this song is literally heavenly.
As with much of Dead Can Dance's output, individual songs can be noticed as either Brendan's or Lisa's, such as the half-and-half split of WITHIN THE REALM OF A DYING SUN. Here, it's obvious that Brendan has provided "Severance," "In the Kingdom of the Blind...", and "Ulysses." Lisa clearly is the creator of "The Writing on My Father's Hand," "Song of Sophia," and "Mother Tongue."
Nonetheless, for the first time here are several tracks where Lisa and Brendan are equal, such as the aforementioned "The Host of Seraphim," as well as "Orbis de Ignis" and "Chant of the Paladin."
While not Dead Can Dance's best album, which is arguably WITHIN THE REALM OF A DYING SUN, this album should not be the last you purchase if you are a fan of this unique duo.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Serpents Egg (Dlx Ltd Ed) (Vinyl)
Serpents Egg (Dlx Ltd Ed) (Vinyl) by Dead Can Dance (LP Record - 2009)
Click for more info