4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but with limitations
I'm fairly happy with this camera, but if you are interested in purchasing one, here's my two cents:

Published on Jan. 4 2010 by Meagol

3.0 out of 5 stars Does OK job.
For the price, the Zi8 does an ok job of recording video, but it can very quickly get grainy in moderately lit areas. Where it really does well is outdoors in the daytime when well lit.

It is what it is, which is an HD camera priced around the $100 mark, so it is not like one could expect amazing quality I suppose, but I am a little disappointed over-all.
Published on Dec 31 2010 by MarioBro

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but with limitations, Jan. 4 2010
This review is from: Kodak Zi8 1080p Pocket HD Camcorder (Black) (Camera)

PROS: relatively inexpensive; unlike the Flip UltraHD Camcorder, 120 Minutes (Black), it does 1080p; uses SD or SD HC memory cards, which means you'll never run out of space (and you could get more than the Flip's 120min, though battery life might be a limiting factor); there's 2 lens settings--extreme close-up, and everything else; easy to use; very portable, with built in image stabilization (which I'll qualify, as it is not as good as it sounds); HDMI cable included (these are notoriously expensive in stores, and since it's not a standard HDMI cable, you'd have to be careful when ordering online); plug and play in your HD TV; the free ArcSoft software is something you'll get a kick out of--try the "watercolor" effect, it's pretty cool; replacement (rechargeable) batteries are inexpensive as well (around $10, shop around and you can get 2 for $10, see High Capacity KLIC-7004 Digital Camera Replacement Lithium-Ion Battery Compatible with Kodak KLIC-7004, Fuji NP-50, Pentax D-LI68); microphone jack allows you to upgrade the sound quality (microphones range in price from $10 to over $250 depending on how much you love this toy).

CONS: though it does 1080p, in low light, you'll have a tough time believing it is indeed so--low light image is sub-par; there's a zoom feature, but it's really the opposite of smooth; audio from the built in microphone is really poor (but even a $10 to $20 external microphone will make up for that in a very noticeable way); an SD HC memory card is not included, and the on-board memory is simply not enough (to qualify this, you can get an 8GB card for $20 , a 16GB for twice that; at the present 32GB are waaay too expensive to consider for this camera); for those that are gadget happy, the menu options are best described as spartan; lastly, no case is included.

If you've recently purchased a digital camera, it might double as an HD camcorder, and you wouldn't need this.
My advice is, before you purchase it, go to a brick and mortar store, ask a salesperson to hook it (or a similar product, as most stores won't carry this brand) up to an HD TV to get a notion of what it can actually do (this is horrible advice--I'm recommending you take advantage of the sales clerk when you don't intend to purchase from the store--but viewing the recording on its tiny screen can be deceptive in terms of video quality). Also, be aware that you'll need to spend some extra $ for an SD card at the very least.

Added on: some other reviewer has a maddening problem with me pointing out the poor audio, and does not seem to understand why I'm saying this--the Kodak people must agree with me however--see their product description, it points out you can get great audio, stereo, IF YOU USE THE JACK FOR A MICROPHONE! I've tried recording without a microphone, and it sounds like "this", and I tried with a cheap Sony stereo microphone (used costs $10) and it sounded like "T H I S". Jeez, I gave it a good review, why do some have to take it so personally; I find people with 60" tvs can be very touchy, and somewhat condescending... I've come to love this camera, I use it even for photos and half the time they turn out great (so I just take twice as many photos); but I don't sleep with it under my 60" pillow, and pet it while whispering "my precious, my love". The only thing that bugs me is that I paid almost full price...

4.0 out of 5 stars A great product with one small setback., Oct. 25 2009
This review is from: Kodak Zi8 1080p Pocket HD Camcorder (Black) (Camera)
For daytime shots, the video and photos look great. I wouldn't use it to replace an SLR/DSLR, but for everyday use, it's still an excellent product.

The only setback is it's lack of flash. This makes night-time and low-light shots very difficult to take.

Aside from that, the rest of it's available features are great: internal USB connection (so you don't have to drag a cable around), up to 32GB of SDHC storage, easy-to-use button controls, macro/landscape modes, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Zi8, Oct. 14 2009
Hi!
The kodak Zi8 is perfect. It's small, it takes good images and the sound is fine. You can also use a microphone thanks to the mic jak!!

If you want to see what it can do, take a look at the video I made to show how good Zi8 works.
It's bilingual.

[...]

Buy it you will love.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool gadget at the time, Feb. 6 2014
This review is from: Kodak Zi8 1080p Pocket HD Camcorder (Black) (Camera)
This was an interesting buy. It worked and was HD but I felt it was more of a toy than a "tool" to be taken seriously. With cell phones and Go Pro now this was a good starter...

4.0 out of 5 stars Good camera for the price!, Oct. 26 2013
This review is from: Kodak Zi8 1080p Pocket HD Camcorder (Black) (Camera)
We have had this camera for about three years. We totally recommend it. It is easy to use and easy to carry, perfect for any outdoor occasion and on trips. The only disappointment is the fact that it is hard to use at certain indoor events, when the lighting is low. The camera will have trouble focussing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kodak Zi8, Oct. 25 2009
This review is from: Kodak Zi8 1080p Pocket HD Camcorder (Black) (Camera)
Perfect in every way ~ small compact and easy to use. Takes great videos (for this calibre of product). There are many other choices in this market, but this does the trick.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great pocket camera, but the EIS is insufficient, Dec 3 2009
Patrick Pedneault (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kodak Zi8 1080p Pocket HD Camcorder (Black) (Camera)
First I have to say that I own the 3 generation of Kodak pocket Cameras, and this one is by far the best one from Kodak's portfolio. However; if you are looking for a camera that is jitter-free, this one is not for you. It does have an Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) but, well, it's still a little shaky. It's a much better improvement from the previous ones; the pan and scan is a lot better, but there are still flaws.

The zoom is also not very nice (I don't recommend zooming while filming; a regular digital photo camera does a better job at it than this one) and Kodak removed the AA battery for a proprietary battery pack, which means that if you run out of battery life and you are at Walt Disney World while filming a parade (like it happened to me last time), well, you are out of luck. The previous models just take regular AA batteries, which is much better.

It is a good value for the money, but not awesome; hopefully Kodak will finally understand they need to put a zoom in and out that resembles it's digital photo cameras and the next generation will be hopefully better.

If you are into gadgets (like I am) them it's a buy it now; otherwise sit this one out and wait for another generation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely perfect!, Aug. 18 2010
This review is from: Kodak Zi8 1080p Pocket HD Camcorder (Black) (Camera)
I was looking for a small HD camcorder and my original thought was that I should get the Flip Ultra HD. However, after doing a lot of research online and watching video examples of the two cameras, I decided that the Kodak zi8 was a better choice.

The Kodak zi8 is great for any vlogger looking for small, compact and powerful camcorder. In your hands, it really feels like a Blackberry; it is very easy to carry along wherever you go. The video quality is fantastic and the included software makes the uploading to websites (YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo) really easy. In low light settings, the video quality is still very very impressive compared to the previous camera I had. The quality of the still pictures is really good too.

Do not forget to buy a SD card or two; I personally bought two Kingston 8 GB SDHC Class 4 Flash Memory Card SD4/8GB and it gives me enough data space for about 5 hours worth of video. I also bought a second High Capacity KLIC-7004 Digital Camera Replacement Lithium-Ion Battery Compatible with Kodak KLIC-7004, Fuji NP-50, Pentax D-LI68 so that I will not have to worry about battery power when I am traveling or something like that. I would also recommend purchasing a carrying case to protect your new favorite little toy.

Overall, this is a great purchase. I highly recommend it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly great quality from a small package, Jan. 23 2010
Alex Man "gadget guy" (Vancouver, BC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kodak Zi8 1080p Pocket HD Camcorder (Black) (Camera)
I picked up this camera after having read reviews from CNET and user reviews off youtube. Most people seem to pick this over the other contender, Flip UltraHD. Most, including me, chose the Kodak for the 1080p option, the packaged HDMI cable, and the price, although the Flip deal at Costco included a HDMI cable in its bundle for $200.
Ultimately, I was happy I chose the Kodak over the Flip. It's slightly wider than the Flip but not a deal breaker. Where the Kodak shines is the quality. Although the ability to upload to youtube and Facebook are appealing, what I really wanted was to be able to get decent quality recordings on my 46" Samsung Touch-of-Colour LCD, for a good price. And I got it! I'm quite amazed by the quality, given the size and price of the camera. I expected much less from a small package like the Kodak. Of course in natural day light, the recordings are awesome, especially when the camera is held still. This is the kind of quality I thought I'd have to pay $1,000 for one of those Sony HD cams. And I have to admit, the night shots are not as bad as some reviewers have let on. There is lots of noise when it's almost pitch black, but still decent and watchable. On that note, I'm quite happy for the price I paid <$200.
So far, I can only think of two downsides.
1. merging recordings to get one recording doesn't seem to be that easy and takes a lot of effort from the PC. Another problem I find is that once you merge recordings, they can't be played back on the camera itself! I don't get that. It's a mov. file... why won't it work when you load it back on the cam's memory card and play it onto the tv. It just doesn't work like it doesn't recognize the file. Kodak really needs to make software that makes merging videos easy. Because watching one file at a time, is painful. Especially if the video is only for a few seconds.
2. No pause function when recording. This issue ties into #1 a bit in that it's tough to make one big video. Sometimes you are forced to pause but you can't pause. You end the video and start again, and everytime you start, you create a new video file.

Other than those two negatives, I'm very happy with the quality. I just have to think ahead about how I will editing (or not editing) any of the videos I film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, Dec 19 2010
This review is from: Kodak Zi8 1080p Pocket HD Camcorder (Black) (Camera)
Of all the cameras I researched, this one was the only one that offered the ability to record with it directly plugged in via having to depend on battery. The sound is great and so is the light sensitivity. I use it for indoor use and am very impressed with the overall quality. The one drawback is cuing the recording afterwards. I record 60-90 sessions and so when I come to view a particular place in the recording it offers fast-forward speeds of up to 32X. That might seem fast but when you want to get to 50 min into a recording, it can take a while.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xabbefa8c)

Kodak Zi8 1080p Pocket HD Camcorder (Black)
Used & New from: CDN$ 660.42