I have the Oral B "3000" and to be quite honest with you, I wasn't impressed. And, for the price of $90 (in 2010) it wasn't much better than the $12 Oral B "Cross Action" that I bought at Target.

Published on Aug. 25 2012 by Andre Lawrence

3.0 out of 5 stars Lesser model is sufficient.
I don't use any of the extra features, or the gimmicky remote timer. My dentist just gave me a "lesser" model in this series, the 2000/3000 (I cant remember which) and has all the features I use in this toothbrush. I wish I had saved myself some money and bought the simpler model that still has the timer buzz built into the brush, and the pressure sensor red...
Published 2 months ago by Sandra Phillips

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Investment That Will Save You in Dental Bills. Oral B: 5000: A Critical Review, Aug. 25 2012
Andre Lawrence (Miami, Florida) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Oral-B Professional Care Smart Series 5000 Rechargeable Power Toothbrush with Smart Guide (White) (Health and Beauty)

The main difference, beside $75, was that the bristle rotation was strong and a warning beep would let you know when you've been brushing in an area too long. I'm not convinced it was worth the price difference.

The 5000 is a horse-of-a-different-color.

First, the motor (rpm) is significantly stronger than the 3000 and makes the Cross Action looks like a child's toy. It's a handsome silver grey with a white border.

It's features:

5-speed, very strong motor
Has a nice weight to it.
Wireless receiver*
Newly designed, multi-crossed bristled head
About the same price as the "4000"

The "5000" is more than just a electric/battery combo. Aside from the brush needing 15 hours to fully charge, it has a standby of several days.

It has a mini-computer called "The Smart Guide" which is device that receives a signal from the toothbrush and display battery strength and installation. The device is about the size of a man's wallet. It works to tell you what you need to know about the brush's status. If your brush is within the vicinity, it would display at of 5 different readouts. (But, if your brush is not within 3 feet, there wouldn't be a readout.)

And, like the 3000 (and, the 4000) the 5000 beeps when you're brushing too long in a certain spot, it'll also stall, which is a bit more safer.

The real test for is the strength of the motor. The 5000 is really, really powerful. This is a HUGE improvement over the 3000 and your teeth really feels clean afterwards.

With EVERY toothbrush, electric or manual, you should still:
* Buy dental floss and a tongue scrapper (to ensure that you have the tools necessary for good oral hygiene.)
* Buy an extra inexpensive battery/ electric toothbrush for everyday use. (Target sells the Cross Action for $12, some are a lot less)
* After rinsing bristle, lay the toothbrush down flat with the head over the sink. (Having it to drain down the barrel WILL rust out the internal parts.)

But, for the money this toothbrush and computer accessory is a great system to have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, Jan. 13 2014
This is my first oral B electric toothbrush. I have used the cheque cresh brushes for years now but find I keep having to replace them after about a year. I decided to go with this after a friend purchased one and was amazed at the qualtiy difference. First you will notice its a solid build.

The brush moves significantly faster than the ones I have used before and I find that in the few days I have been using it, my gums are a little sore on one side. I assume this will pass as I adjust. I really like the deep clean option, which is what I used daily. I find I spend more than the 3 min allotted so I am trying to adjust to keeping the same amount of time on each quadrant. Its a bit of a game which means brushing my teeth is someone of a fun exercise. I know that won't last but it's a good toothbrush.

The only negative is that its quite costly and does not come with any replacement heads. The one sold in the US has 3 replacement heads including the whitening, deep clean and sensitive mode.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it., March 14 2013
Good performance. Nice looking. Good quality brush. Bugs: very unclear how to use a device on the wall. So it is not used. Also, battery doesn't last long and dies in the middle of the brushing without indicating the battery is low.

5.0 out of 5 stars The timing feature is really nice and puts a clock in our bathroom that we ..., Oct. 17 2014
The timing feature is really nice and puts a clock in our bathroom that we previously didn't have. I had to re-learn how to brush in quadrants, but I think it is probably more effective. The pressure sensor feature is nice, but I tend to ignore it as it flickers once in a while (probably shouldn't). I did the research and this brush has only one feature less than the 'Porsche' version in the 7000 which is the tongue cleaner. I have lived without a tongue cleaner this long and so I don't mind spending $60-$70 less to get basically the same thing. We have used Braun Oral-B for a long time and decided this would be a nice upgrade from the Vitality we used for years. I can definitely say it's worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars my dentist recommended this model, April 5 2014
l have brush lines from 'scrubbing' my teeth for many years... my dentist fixed the brush lines for almost a thousand dollars then recommended l get this 5000 series ... l love it... it wont let me scrub my teeth any longer... my teeth and gums feel great after each brushing... yes, it is expensive but so is getting brush lines fixed...plus he said l was close to being at risk of my weakened teeth snapping off at the gumline from the lines.. now l have my healthy smile back

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped to prevent gingivitis and get thorough cleaning every time, Dec 1 2014
I'm writing this review after 1 year of daily use of the product.

Benefits that I've found with this product:
1) removes all plaque so it prevents plaque build up every time you brush
2) doesn't hurt gums or teeth when removing plaque. This is the reason why I had to switch from manual toothbrush to an electrical one. With the manual one, I couldn't remove plaque even when I brushed vigorously and ended up hurting my gums so much that I couldn't brush at all (area where I had gingivitis). Instruction says that you may find some bleeding when using the product. This has never been the case for me except for one time when I over brushed with the device. In fact, since using the device, I stopped bleeding while I bled every time I brushed with a manual toothbrush.
3) the brush head lasts for a very long time. It's been 1 year since I started using the original brush head that came with the product. The bristles have not flayed, and still brushes the same as when I first got it (ie: effectively).
4) you can turn off the wireless technology that connects the toothbrush to the smart guide. This is handy for those who have pacemakers etc.
5) you can comfortably and effectively clean gums, top and bottom palette, and tongue
6) you never feel like you've over cleaned and your teeth always feels clean the way they do after a routine dentist cleaning. For me, my teeth actually feels better than a dentist clean up because it doesn't feel like you've over cleaned and somehow damaged the enamel of teeth.
7) I'm a heavy tea drinker (I drink Earl grey type teas where the color of the tea is dark ruby red) and I do see brown spit/toothpaste while I clean from just one day of drinking lots of tea. This doesn't happen every single day as I switch the type of black tea (which is what Earl Grey type teas are based on) that I drink throughout the day. So if I happen to have tea stains accumulated on my teeth, then the electrical toothbrush removes it for me. I wish I had switched to an electrical toothbrush because I don't have pearly white teeth. My dentist said that it's not tea stains and that it's the dentine which is inside the enamel (which is naturally yellow in color) showing through. But after seeing brown spit/toothpaste from using this product, I wonder if it's really just my enamel showing through.

Downside:
1) having read other people's reviews prior to purchase, I realized that I have to be pretty meticulous in ensuring that spit/toothpaste was properly removed from inside the toothbrush (not the bristle attachment but the actual device itself) via the top part of the toothbrush. This is a little hard to explain unless you've seen the device itself, but if you detach the toothbrush bristles from the "bottom" device, you'll notice a small metal head at the top of the device that fits into the top bristles/ or inserted into the bristle portion. It's from the metal head that spit/toothpaste gets right into the inside of the device. Some of the reviewers have commented that when his device stopped working and he opened up the inside of the device he was shocked to find so much goo of spit/toothpaste inside the device, which apparently caused the device to stop working. Having used the device myself, it is true that quite a lot of spit/toothpaste can and does get into the inside of the device. So to get them out as much as possible, after using the device, I turn it upside down, turn the device on and off, and at times shake the device, and there's spit/toothpaste coming out of the device via the small metal head. That's about as much as you can do to minimize the build up of spit/toothpaste. Of course you also have to constantly spit out the spit/toothpaste during cleaning to prevent liquid from getting inside the device.
2) for me personally, I found that I have to use a lot longer than the recommended total of 2 minutes (for entire teeth) to get the plaque out. Then on top of that, I clean my tongue, top and bottom palette. I find that for me, the recommended time is just not enough to get proper cleaning done. Perhaps it's different from person to person as people have different sets of teeth and the needs may be different. As a result, I've noticed that the lithium battery lasts less and less as time progresses. After a year of using the device daily for over the 2 minute recommended time I can still get my entire teeth cleaned plus the tongue, palettes without losing 1 unit of the charge indicator (there are 3 units to indicate how much charge is left). But I have to recharge right after each use or else I'd lose 1 unit of charge indicator next time I use the device without recharging it. This was not the case for the first few months of using the device. You do have to drain the machine out completely once every 6 months to help maximize the battery (according to instruction). I've also noticed that the toothbrush head operates a lot slower as time passes even on a complete charge.
3) even with regular spitting out of liquid from mouth during brushing, liquid still spills down the device during brushing, so I have to use a tissue every time I brush with the device.

Final note, my device required me to charge continuously for about 25 hours when I first received the device to get a full charge.
I believe the device is made in Germany, like most Braun products are.
My reason for choosing this model over other models (I purchased this before the 7000 series came out) is due to comments by reviewers saying that the motor power of the 5000 was better than other models such as 4000 and lower. Since this device is my very first electronic toothbrush, and at the time of purchase, I found that the difference in price between the 5000 and other models (4000 and lower) was minimal, I decided to buy the 5000. I don't know how other models fair but I'm extremely glad that I was able to purchase the 5000.

As for the different cleaning modes, for my particular use, I find that the best for me is the normal deep cleaning mode. I've never used the other cleaning modes because the rotation of the toothbrush head just wasn't fast enough and what I need for my daily use is something that cleans well and gets rid of any plaque build up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful action and sleek-looking., Dec 5 2014
It took a little while longer to get this delivered for some reason, but I got it in 10 days, so can't really complain. It takes 24hours to do the initial charge so I have only used it once.. My teeth felt extra clean afterwards. Seems very powerful but I am used to a manual brush. It comes with one standard brush head.Apparently the heads are good for 3 months use. I will have to order other types now, for flossing, whitening etc... There is a coupon in the box to help lower the cost of replacement heads which is nice. Assembles easily. Doesn't take up too much counter space, also option included to wall mount it if you want.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent toothbrush, March 15 2014
This model has many different options, so you can have pretty much any type of brushing you prefer, with the different programs it has available. Brush works extremely well no matter what program you choose. Easy to use, stands firmly on any level surface, on or off the charger base.

The charger base is a small separate module, so it will work with many of the other models of Oral B brushes as well, if you, like me, have another Oral B that wore out its charger. This also means there's no particular way to store excess power cord length out of sight.

Set up was easy enough, aside from finding the clock setting buttons. The buttons are inside the clock back, so you must remove a rear bracket to find them. The illustrated instructions weren't as clear as they might have been concerning how to remove the bracket. It slides off sideways but it's a very snug fit, so it needs some pressure applied. A gentle push didn't work, and when I first looked at the clock, it appeared as though there was a battery door that should open, similar to most remote controls, rather than slide off as it actually does. The instructions for getting the bracket off need to be clearer but the clock itself is very simple to set.

You can have the clock with it's wireless program display sitting anywhere you choose, even hung on the wall.

Has a flat, covered brush head storage tray that is designed to fit onto the charger base. But it need not be installed if you're short on counter space for it. It sticks out to one side, holding brush heads in flat slots. I prefer the type of storage that keeps the brush heads upright so they'll dry more quickly.

It took quite a long time to finish the first charging session. The indicator lights didn't stop blinking for two days, much longer than it said it would take. Just seems to take awhile, but it runs for a long time on one charge and you can use it before it finishes that first charge up. It's my third Oral B power brush, I prefer them to any other brand. I like the small round brush heads, which fit easily around teeth and come in a wide assortment of types to suit anyone.

One complaint I do have is the large amount of packaging. Too much plastic that can't be recycled in a big box. Be much nicer to see it in alternate packaging that is totally recyclable and smaller.

5.0 out of 5 stars DISPLAY ENCOURAGES BETTER DENTAL CARE, Jan. 10 2014
This product is made in Germany...The quality is superb and I have nothing but praise for it. I have an older model that still operates but the battery no longer holds its charge very well. I have used it for TEN years. Good stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great feeling mouth, April 25 2013
I hummed and hawed about buying this because of the price (for a tooth brush). I've used the cheaper $20 power brushes before but have always been disappointed and gone back to manual. This brush is a case of you get what you pay for as it does a great job cleaning teeth (front, back, bottom and in between) and massaging gums. I use the floss head. One tip I have is if when you plug it in for the first time and it does not show that it is charging, don't panic. Although the instructions say it may take up to 20 minutes for it to show charging mine took 4 hours but after that it charges and holds a charge as it should.