I have the Oral B "3000" and to be quite honest with you, I wasn't impressed. And, for the price of $90 (in 2010) it wasn't much better than the $12 Oral B "Cross Action" that I bought at Target.

Published 19 months ago by Andre Lawrence

3.0 out of 5 stars great product yet misleading
confusing as the images lead me to believe the charger was universal (110-240v) but overall still a great product found a universal charger online for $20
Published 14 months ago by momo mahalat

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Investment That Will Save You in Dental Bills. Oral B: 5000: A Critical Review, Aug. 25 2012
Andre Lawrence (Miami, Florida) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Oral-B Professional Care Smart Series 5000 Rechargeable Power Toothbrush with Smart Guide (White) (Health and Beauty)

The main difference, beside $75, was that the bristle rotation was strong and a warning beep would let you know when you've been brushing in an area too long. I'm not convinced it was worth the price difference.

The 5000 is a horse-of-a-different-color.

First, the motor (rpm) is significantly stronger than the 3000 and makes the Cross Action looks like a child's toy. It's a handsome silver grey with a white border.

It's features:

5-speed, very strong motor
Has a nice weight to it.
Wireless receiver*
Newly designed, multi-crossed bristled head
About the same price as the "4000"

The "5000" is more than just a electric/battery combo. Aside from the brush needing 15 hours to fully charge, it has a standby of several days.

It has a mini-computer called "The Smart Guide" which is device that receives a signal from the toothbrush and display battery strength and installation. The device is about the size of a man's wallet. It works to tell you what you need to know about the brush's status. If your brush is within the vicinity, it would display at of 5 different readouts. (But, if your brush is not within 3 feet, there wouldn't be a readout.)

And, like the 3000 (and, the 4000) the 5000 beeps when you're brushing too long in a certain spot, it'll also stall, which is a bit more safer.

The real test for is the strength of the motor. The 5000 is really, really powerful. This is a HUGE improvement over the 3000 and your teeth really feels clean afterwards.

With EVERY toothbrush, electric or manual, you should still:
* Buy dental floss and a tongue scrapper (to ensure that you have the tools necessary for good oral hygiene.)
* Buy an extra inexpensive battery/ electric toothbrush for everyday use. (Target sells the Cross Action for $12, some are a lot less)
* After rinsing bristle, lay the toothbrush down flat with the head over the sink. (Having it to drain down the barrel WILL rust out the internal parts.)

But, for the money this toothbrush and computer accessory is a great system to have.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it., March 14 2013
Good performance. Nice looking. Good quality brush. Bugs: very unclear how to use a device on the wall. So it is not used. Also, battery doesn't last long and dies in the middle of the brushing without indicating the battery is low.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, Jan. 13 2014
This is my first oral B electric toothbrush. I have used the cheque cresh brushes for years now but find I keep having to replace them after about a year. I decided to go with this after a friend purchased one and was amazed at the qualtiy difference. First you will notice its a solid build.

The brush moves significantly faster than the ones I have used before and I find that in the few days I have been using it, my gums are a little sore on one side. I assume this will pass as I adjust. I really like the deep clean option, which is what I used daily. I find I spend more than the 3 min allotted so I am trying to adjust to keeping the same amount of time on each quadrant. Its a bit of a game which means brushing my teeth is someone of a fun exercise. I know that won't last but it's a good toothbrush.

The only negative is that its quite costly and does not come with any replacement heads. The one sold in the US has 3 replacement heads including the whitening, deep clean and sensitive mode.

5.0 out of 5 stars DISPLAY ENCOURAGES BETTER DENTAL CARE, Jan. 10 2014
This product is made in Germany...The quality is superb and I have nothing but praise for it. I have an older model that still operates but the battery no longer holds its charge very well. I have used it for TEN years. Good stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great feeling mouth, April 25 2013
I hummed and hawed about buying this because of the price (for a tooth brush). I've used the cheaper $20 power brushes before but have always been disappointed and gone back to manual. This brush is a case of you get what you pay for as it does a great job cleaning teeth (front, back, bottom and in between) and massaging gums. I use the floss head. One tip I have is if when you plug it in for the first time and it does not show that it is charging, don't panic. Although the instructions say it may take up to 20 minutes for it to show charging mine took 4 hours but after that it charges and holds a charge as it should.

5.0 out of 5 stars my dentist recommended this model, April 5 2014
l have brush lines from 'scrubbing' my teeth for many years... my dentist fixed the brush lines for almost a thousand dollars then recommended l get this 5000 series ... l love it... it wont let me scrub my teeth any longer... my teeth and gums feel great after each brushing... yes, it is expensive but so is getting brush lines fixed...plus he said l was close to being at risk of my weakened teeth snapping off at the gumline from the lines.. now l have my healthy smile back

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, April 4 2014
This is a really great product – I researched A LOT to find the right toothbrush (you want to get it right if you’re going to spend so much right?!) and this has been wonderful. I didn’t realize what a difference there would be with an electric over a manual toothbrush. I have been using it for a month and went to see the dentist this week who commented on the great results. I had originally been debating the visual external timer, but actually I’m very glad I went with the higher model (5000 vs the 4000)– it’s a really handy feature. Definitely recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing !, March 27 2014
We had a cheaper version (about 60 dollars) and it was fine for an auto toothbrush. This one is fantastic. I'm not a fan of the timer feature for quadrants of brushing (the pause is a bit annoying) but you can program your own timer (I just haven't done this yet). The brushing is amazing. Plaque is a thing of the past above the gum line (you will still need to floss). I like the smaller head because it reaches behind your back teeth (a spot that is very difficult for most) I got a gold star last time I was at my dentist!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent toothbrush, March 15 2014
This model has many different options, so you can have pretty much any type of brushing you prefer, with the different programs it has available. Brush works extremely well no matter what program you choose. Easy to use, stands firmly on any level surface, on or off the charger base.

The charger base is a small separate module, so it will work with many of the other models of Oral B brushes as well, if you, like me, have another Oral B that wore out its charger. This also means there's no particular way to store excess power cord length out of sight.

Set up was easy enough, aside from finding the clock setting buttons. The buttons are inside the clock back, so you must remove a rear bracket to find them. The illustrated instructions weren't as clear as they might have been concerning how to remove the bracket. It slides off sideways but it's a very snug fit, so it needs some pressure applied. A gentle push didn't work, and when I first looked at the clock, it appeared as though there was a battery door that should open, similar to most remote controls, rather than slide off as it actually does. The instructions for getting the bracket off need to be clearer but the clock itself is very simple to set.

You can have the clock with it's wireless program display sitting anywhere you choose, even hung on the wall.

Has a flat, covered brush head storage tray that is designed to fit onto the charger base. But it need not be installed if you're short on counter space for it. It sticks out to one side, holding brush heads in flat slots. I prefer the type of storage that keeps the brush heads upright so they'll dry more quickly.

It took quite a long time to finish the first charging session. The indicator lights didn't stop blinking for two days, much longer than it said it would take. Just seems to take awhile, but it runs for a long time on one charge and you can use it before it finishes that first charge up. It's my third Oral B power brush, I prefer them to any other brand. I like the small round brush heads, which fit easily around teeth and come in a wide assortment of types to suit anyone.

One complaint I do have is the large amount of packaging. Too much plastic that can't be recycled in a big box. Be much nicer to see it in alternate packaging that is totally recyclable and smaller.

5.0 out of 5 stars First high quality brush, March 6 2014
Better than my previous brush. I like its speed. I recommend it for people who don't know how to brush their teeth properly.

ARRAY(0xb7ba5240)