5.0 out of 5 stars Mario Magic Returns to the Portable
It's been a long time since NSMB (New Super Mario Bros.) came out for the Nintendo DS and it's high time we got a platforming Mario title for our portable devices (Bowser's Inside Story is great too, though!). Super Mario 3D Land brings the Mushroom Kingdom to light in a brilliant blend of classic Mario platforming and a more contemporary flair.
When I first started...
Published on Nov. 23 2011 by DrFThickett

3.0 out of 5 stars It is a good experiment...
I had fun, and I won't spoil it if you didn't get Luigi yet, but there is a lot more to this than you expect and Bowser was never more relentless. It is worth owning, but it isn't as awesome as the side view and multiplayer ones.
Published on Aug. 6 2012 by Golok Z Buday

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Mario Magic Returns to the Portable, Nov. 23 2011
Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Super Mario 3D Land - Nintendo 3DS Standard Edition (Video Game)
When I first started playing I felt like the levels were too short and the worlds didn't have enough to extend the game play and, while I still feel this, I have a deep appreciation of this feeling now. The levels were so well crafted that no two play the same, they all have a unique je ne sais quoi. While the levels are short they are fun, and definitely memorable. Granted I managed to beat the game in a matter of hours (5 I believe) the coin and secret searching is proving to extend the fun. The levels are fun to revisit, even once you know them like the back of your hand you can still spend a few runs searching for that last special coin for completion.
The game controls really well, the 3DS joy pad is perfect for bringing a truly 3D Mario to the handheld. While NSMB was a fun little side-scroller this game can boast the full 3D levels (not meaning the effect of the 3DS but of the level design)which allows the developers to offer us the unique worlds I praised earlier.
The soundtrack is Mario to the core. If the music doesn't make you smile you likely don't have a heart. As I played this game I was buried in nostalgia but I also took all the new tracks and appreciated them because, despite being recorded more recently they line up with the best of the classic Mario songs.
This game is brilliant simply for presenting itself for what it is, a Mario game that pays homage to the old while pressing forward for a new generation of gamers. If today's kids are going to play Mario and love it as much as I did when he was 8-bit then I'm ready to pass the torch. Mario is still the king.

4.0 out of 5 stars back to basics, March 30 2012
Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
great instant classic mario on the 3ds. graphically comparable to mario galaxy on the wii. ton of extras, good level of challange (although some parts of the game are a tad too easy). overall great mario game with no real gimmick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mario Goodness, Dec 29 2014
F. Moores "I have worms" (Toronto, ON) - See all my reviews
This is another solid entry in the Mario series by Nintendo. Terrific platforming puzzles and plenty of content to keep any level of gamer entertained for hours. We have been playing on the 2DS and it works fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kid Approval, April 1 2015
Was bought for my 11 year old. I asked her what I should say in the review...her response?
"It's awesome! I can't stop playing it!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, Feb. 9 2014
Mario never dissapoints!!! Any fans of regular Mario needs to get the 3D version its really fun to play with lots of cool levels

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game!, Jan. 4 2014
Was a little skeptical as some reviews said it wasn't worth they hype, but after playing for hours I really enjoyed it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this game, Feb. 20 2015
FaithChick - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Love this game! I miss the cat suit Mario, but still love playing this anyways! ;) Love the new worlds!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Jan. 10 2015
Bought for my 4 year old and he loves it, thats all the matters to me

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Aug. 20 2014
Exactly as described and quick to ship.

5.0 out of 5 stars very entertaining great for all ages, May 18 2015
very entertaining great for all ages

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›