‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars If We Could Start Again, This Would be Our First Step, Dec 3 2009
Amazon Customer "@ Quiverfullfamily.com" (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
As a family who owns quite a few educational DVDs I can attest to the fact that what LeapFrog is doing with their learning movies is both innovative and effective. Rather than focusing on repetitive drills, or straightforward simplistic presentation of facts accompanied by musical accompaniment, each of the DVDs included in the LeapFrog: Learning DVD Set integrates simple phonics and math principles into an engaging, and entertaining storyline. As a result, our children ask for the LeapFrog DVDs more often than they do any other educational offering we have available on disc.

The LeapFrog: Learning DVD Set incorporates three of LeapFrog's best titles for preschoolers and provides a comprehensive introduction to the basic preschool/kindergarten skills of letter recognition (short consonant and vowel sounds), basic blending, counting, and animal group recognition.

LeapFrog: Let's Go to School provides a typical storyline for allaying the fears of children on the cusp of attending a public school (of course, not all children will attend a public school). In a dream-like sequence Tad and Lilly discover that the school equipment is just as nervous about the incoming class as they are about attending. The blocks teach some basic counting skills, the alphabet book quickly goes through letter sounds, the calendar introduces time-telling concepts, the animal figurines teach about sorting and animal families, and so on. Because of the brief introductions given to each topic, this general overview is the weakest educationally of the set. Five sing-along songs and an interactive alphabet book are provided as additional reinforcing bonus features on the DVD.

However, LeapFrog: Letter Factory and LeapFrog: Talking Words Factory more than make up for the lack of depth by focusing in on introductory phonics and blending in DVDs of approximately 35 minutes each. In the first DVD Leap, Lily, and Tad need to go to their father's Letter Factory where they produce talking letters. While Leap and Lily provide a presentation for a very important customer, Tad is left out due to his lack of reading skills. Taken for a tour through the factory, he visits rooms, each dedicated to a letter of the alphabet. The colorful, animated letters are engaged in activities that embody their sound.

The A's scream, 'Aaaaaah!' when frightened. The E's are hard of hearing and ask, 'Ehhhh?' whenever someone speaks to them. The M's proclaim 'Mmmmm!' as they devour delicious muffins. The set also includes a full set of alphabet flashcards that depict the lively letters in poses, settings, and costumes that represent their sounds on one side, and directions to parents on how to use the cards to teach their children on the other with a simpler representation of the letter.

In LeapFrog: Talking Words Factory Leap, Lily, and Tad are recruited to make more talking words for the very popular talking dictionaries, and to assist Tad in the filling out of a contest application for his father. Various fun machines make vowels sticky, wham words together, and more. Rhyming songs and a fun plot add to the appeal of this title. This is my six-year-old's favorite of the three ' she loves the neat word machines and inventions. Both Letter Factory and Talking Words Factory include a simple, interactive learning game as educational reinforcement.

Created with children from ages two through six in mind, I was somewhat skeptical about the set's ability to reach younger children. However, the animated, cartoon-style adventures of Leap, Lily, and Tad have not only made her a fan, they've also been teaching her the building blocks of phonics! My six-year-old already has a firm understanding of the concepts presented in the set, but she has also really enjoyed the discs for the story alone, and reinforcement has never hurt anyone!

Our children are limited to bringing along one or two DVDs when we travel to visit relatives, and they often ask to bring their LeapFrog movies with them. Only a day or two after watching LeapFrog: Letter Factory, my three year old made an 's' with her wikki sticks and proudly hissed 'Sssss, this letter says ssss, Mommy!' Right on.

The LeapFrog: Learning DVD Set is an excellent first step into learning for preschool-aged children. If your little ones haven't had any exposure yet the building blocks of phonics and blending, I can't recommend this set enough. The associations are fun, lively, and easier to remember in the context of a story-based plot than they are through rote memorization alone. Above all, it's fun, bright, and engaging ' everything a small child could ask for with all the educational value parents' love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Leap Frog Learning DVD Set, Jan. 15 2010
Gabriela Lanza (Brampton, On Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Leapfrog Learning Set: Volume 1 (3-Disc DVD) (DVD)
This product was highly recomended by my 5 year olds teacher, she said that through the videos is the only way my son retains information and is able to learn new things in class...he loves the videos, watches them everyday and he has learn so much in such a short period of time..I look forward to the new video coming soon and I hope they have many more coming out soon!!

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!, Jan. 7 2014
I love it, we had it before, but my boys wore it out. I am a stay at home Mom of 5 little boys from ages 7 to 8 months. When we had it before my 7 year old wasn't yet in school and found that at the time it helped him A LOT with his sounds and now he is reading great. My next two who were 2 and 3 at the time enjoyed them too and were also learning their sounds. So now that they are going to be starting school I wanted a set for them and they all love watching them and making the sounds and words with the movies. I think they are a great educational, fun and entertaining ( keeping the boys interested and that can be hard for 5,4,3,and 2 year olds) Now all my boys watch them the 7 year old who just loves them, the 5 and 4 year old who are learning with them, and the 2 year old who just loves to sit there and watch and try to sound them out like his big brothers do. Even my 8 month old enjoys watching the cartoons. And they share with their cousins and friends and all get yelling out the sounds. It is great! From one very satisfied Mom

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging way to learn Alphabet, Jan. 3 2013
This review is from: Leapfrog Learning Set: Volume 1 (3-Disc DVD) (DVD)
We've only watched the first DVD Word Factory thus far, but my 3 year old daughter really likes it, in fact asks to watch it. She's learned her ABCs very quickly understanding how the actual letter connects to its phonemic sound. With reinforcement from us, she can now figure out that from the sound of the word, it should likely start with a certain letter from the alphabet. The DVD is about 30 minutes so good for one sitting to get through. The DVD also works because it has a story to it, a repetitive tune and fun characters. It also comes with a nice set of flash cards that match the letter and scenes..

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Video, Jan. 14 2012
This review is from: Leapfrog Learning Set: Volume 1 (3-Disc DVD) (DVD)
I bought this set for my 4 year old son who was still struggling to learn all his letters. It had been recommended by a friend. When I first watched it I didn't think it would capture my son's attention but it did. He wanted to watch the letter factory every day and within 3 weeks he not only had learned to recognize all the letters visually but had learned all their sounds too. I was amazed that he learned in 3 weeks from this video what I had been trying to teach him for a year! I will be definitely get the talking words DVD as well. What a great video and great learning tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent learning DVD., April 6 2011
This review is from: Leapfrog Learning Set: Volume 1 (3-Disc DVD) (DVD)
This is one of the best learning DVDs on the market. My son is just turning 3 and after two weeks of watching the DVD set he recognizes the entire alphabet and numbers. He makes the connection between the letters and their sounds as well as associating the numbers to counting objects. The Leapfrog DVDs are fun and engaging which makes the learning experience stimulating and effective. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars My kids love this set, April 20 2013
The only reason I am giving this set 4 stars instead of 5 is that I wish it had the option to play in both english and french. It is captivating and my children love to interact and say and sing along with the characters. It teaches while entertaining. They are nice, short, preschool type DVDs. I would definitely recommend these to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids Favortie!, Jan. 22 2012
This review is from: Leapfrog Learning Set: Volume 1 (3-Disc DVD) (DVD)
These movies are great for preschoolers! Letter factory teaches what sound each letter of the alphabet makes, word factory teaches how to put those sounds together to form words, and lets go to school prepares your preschooler for what to expect in school. LOVE THESE MOVIES!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Leapfrog Learning DVD Set, Oct. 14 2011
This review is from: Leapfrog Learning Set: Volume 1 (3-Disc DVD) (DVD)
I run a home daycare and I use this for my younger ones they love leapfrog learning. I have seen great improvements even my one and a half year old join in the songs and actions. I greatly recommend to any one who has small children.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and educational, Nov. 23 2010
This review is from: Leapfrog Learning Set: Volume 1 (3-Disc DVD) (DVD)
My daughter is 3 and really enjoys this DVD. She has started saying the sound of the letters when she hears them and even though she doesn't get them all right, it has piqued her interest about letters, their names and their sounds.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Leapfrog Learning Set: Volume 1 (3-Disc DVD)
Used & New from: CDN$ 81.58