5.0 out of 5 stars perfect for areas with no power
Published on June 2 2012 by Fixitguy

3.0 out of 5 stars Mr beams
Ok light . Easy to install for sure. I was Disappointed a little as not very bright. Will see how keeps battery over the cold if a winter
Published on Nov. 25 2012 by michelle

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect for areas with no power, June 2 2012
This review is from: Mr. Beams MB360 Battery Powered Motion Sensing LED Outdoor Security Spotlight (Dark Brown) (Tools & Hardware)
For some reason, a back porch light was never installed at my house. I have plans to eventually (could be a while) install pole lamps in the yard, but until then I needed a solution. I found this on amazon and ordered two as I have flashlights with similar lumen output that are amazing. I mounted this unit under the overhang just outside my back door. When the door is opened at night, the light comes on and lights up my yard. I gave the second unit to my father for his cottage as this one is bright enough for the task. The only drawback is that the sensitivity is not adjustable. This is not a concern to me as it seems to have been set perfect for my application and most common applications. I have only had it a month and do not know how winter will treat it, but I have high hopes for the unit.

Update - It's been over a year now and I can tell you that a back porch light may never get installed now. I'm on my 3rd set of batteries - pretty good if you ask me, as I have a dog and this light runs a lot. It wintered well with the exception that it is dimmer in the cold. This is likely due to the batteries over the unit though. The only other thing I recommend is that good quality alkaline batteries are used - my favorite rhyme with hoppertop. I have learned through experience that the cheap batteries can freeze and split in the cold. Overall, this unit has exceeded my expectations and I will continue to recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mr beams, Nov. 25 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars WORKS GREAT!, Oct. 29 2013
Easy to install. Good light. Seems to work well also in cold (-9C last night). Hope it continues to work when it gets really cold!

Denis
Calgary, Canada

4.0 out of 5 stars great product for the task even if short-lived, April 14 2014
Harry Havey (Winnipeg, Manitoba) - See all my reviews
I bought this for a spot security light in the back yard and it worked great - bright enough but not too bright and very sensitive to any movement. It only lasted 19 months and then it got stuck on permanent ON. But it lasted through two brutal Manitoba winters on one set of batteries first so I bought another one to replace it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, Nov. 14 2012
Great motion sensor light. Safety along those darkened walkways & keeps the punks from messing with my vehicle at night. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gives an adequate amount of light., Oct. 8 2013
I have placed these "security" lights at four different locations around my house and garage. Each one of them requires 4 D size batteries, but I've been running these lights for over a year and still have not replaced any of the batteries.

These are adequate lights for easy install if you have no electricity for real lights...but be forewarned, they really only have the power of a small flashlight, no more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed! I hope they make the winter..., April 20 2012
I have owned 2 of these for about 1 month. They have lit up the dark narrow path alongside my house for my tenant. They are very responsive to motion and cast a good amount of light. My only concern is how they will fare this winter in the Canadian climate. If they make it through I will be very impressed. A great & cost effective option where you don't have pre-existing lighting!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very bright and sensitive - died within a year, Aug. 9 2012
aw - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
First of all, the item is not a small solar garden light you may imagine. As it takes 3 D-cell and you can imagine the size of it, it is literally like a coffee mug. IMO, it is as small as it can get and still houses 3 D-cell.

I bought two units, one sensor seems to be a bit more sensitive than the other, and they are both very bright light. The unit itself is very light without 3 D-cell batteries

NOTE: Very unprofessinoal UPS delivery, they just left it 4 feet in front of my door...

Aug 2013 Update - both sensors died...the first one died 6 months and the second one died last month. These lights now keep turning themselve on and off constantly all day, and drained the batteries very quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect solution, Dec 11 2012
texjohn (Texada Island, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Ordered the 3 pack as it is like getting 1 free.

These lights are well made and the sensitivity is about perfect. They have a good range of operation and don't seem to be bothered by my trees blowing in the wind. They put out amble light considering they would run the batteries down too fast if they were too powerful. When my outside lights are turned on they don't come on -- perfect! I have noticed that one on the deck does come on if I don't give my outside lights a few seconds to warm up before I walk out.

After reading reviews about water infiltration I decided to wrap the seam of one that was exposed to weather with electrical tape... that should avoid water damage. Of course I will have to remove it to change the batteries.

With my rural location (dark) it is the perfect fix for trying to get around and unlock the door. Let's hope the batteries last a while. Bought a bunch of "D" cells when on sale. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great Mr. Beams product. Bright and very sensitive to motion, March 28 2015
Kent L. (Vancouver BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I bought it on amazon.com since they had a deal of the day going on and it cheaper even factoring in the shipping and duties than the ones we get at the amazon.ca site! Anyways, they are both the same and i thought i'd share my experiences with other so far with using these lights.

I already own a few Mr. Beam products around my house, they are mounted and in closets, crawlspaces where there i usually need to bring a flashlight into. And as a very satisfied and happy customer I can't seem to ever have enough of them around the house. Walking at the front of my house or even fumbling at night to find the key or correct set of keys to open my door is very frustrating, especially when its really dark, wet and cold and there is no light.

So I placed one of these in the front door's roofing to help me find my keys at night. They're mounted on the side of deck, and manage to come on at just the right point. They're not extremely bright but for the average user i think its just the right amount of brightness and just enough to let me see what I might be running in to or coming across. The amount of time they stay lit is around 25 secs or so, a little longer than I would've expected, but satisfactory.

The other night we had quite a bit of rain & I opened them up to check the seal and there was no leakage. So far, so good!

I bought these and positioned them so that if someone was ever at my front door, it'd at least be lit up and hopefully someone passing through can see what they might be doing - let it be breaking into my house or anything. Other times its just great to actually have light at the end of a long day to not spend 5 minutes jamming the correct key into the door.

And lastly the thing that irritates me a little that costed the loss of 1 star is the type of battery it takes. It requires a C3 alkaline battery which is 1) not easy to find because not alot of devices uses this type of battery, unlike AAA or AA. 2) The batteries, if you manage to find them, is rather expensive.

And you need 3 x C3 batteries, not C4 or C12. But the good thing is that if you dont have a lot of 'light ups', the battery should last you quite a bit of time. Mines are still going strong after 6 months. This is factoring in the fact it lights up everytime i go out and back to work, 5 days a week.