biss Up to 40% Off CBC's Canada Reads 2016 Shortlist boutiques-francophones Learn more vd2016beauty Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

Size: 1-PackColor: Dark BrownChange

on June 2, 2012
For some reason, a back porch light was never installed at my house. I have plans to eventually (could be a while) install pole lamps in the yard, but until then I needed a solution. I found this on amazon and ordered two as I have flashlights with similar lumen output that are amazing. I mounted this unit under the overhang just outside my back door. When the door is opened at night, the light comes on and lights up my yard. I gave the second unit to my father for his cottage as this one is bright enough for the task. The only drawback is that the sensitivity is not adjustable. This is not a concern to me as it seems to have been set perfect for my application and most common applications. I have only had it a month and do not know how winter will treat it, but I have high hopes for the unit.

Update - It's been over a year now and I can tell you that a back porch light may never get installed now. I'm on my 3rd set of batteries - pretty good if you ask me, as I have a dog and this light runs a lot. It wintered well with the exception that it is dimmer in the cold. This is likely due to the batteries over the unit though. The only other thing I recommend is that good quality alkaline batteries are used - my favorite rhyme with hoppertop. I have learned through experience that the cheap batteries can freeze and split in the cold. Overall, this unit has exceeded my expectations and I will continue to recommend it.
0Comment24 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2014
I bought this for a spot security light in the back yard and it worked great - bright enough but not too bright and very sensitive to any movement. It only lasted 19 months and then it got stuck on permanent ON. But it lasted through two brutal Manitoba winters on one set of batteries first so I bought another one to replace it.
on November 14, 2012
Great motion sensor light. Safety along those darkened walkways & keeps the punks from messing with my vehicle at night. Highly recommended.
on November 25, 2012
Ok light . Easy to install for sure. I was Disappointed a little as not very bright. Will see how keeps battery over the cold if a winter
on October 29, 2013
Easy to install. Good light. Seems to work well also in cold (-9C last night). Hope it continues to work when it gets really cold!

Denis
Calgary, Canada
on April 20, 2012
I have owned 2 of these for about 1 month. They have lit up the dark narrow path alongside my house for my tenant. They are very responsive to motion and cast a good amount of light. My only concern is how they will fare this winter in the Canadian climate. If they make it through I will be very impressed. A great & cost effective option where you don't have pre-existing lighting!
on October 8, 2013
I have placed these "security" lights at four different locations around my house and garage. Each one of them requires 4 D size batteries, but I've been running these lights for over a year and still have not replaced any of the batteries.

These are adequate lights for easy install if you have no electricity for real lights...but be forewarned, they really only have the power of a small flashlight, no more.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon August 9, 2012
First of all, the item is not a small solar garden light you may imagine. As it takes 3 D-cell and you can imagine the size of it, it is literally like a coffee mug. IMO, it is as small as it can get and still houses 3 D-cell.

I bought two units, one sensor seems to be a bit more sensitive than the other, and they are both very bright light. The unit itself is very light without 3 D-cell batteries

NOTE: Very unprofessinoal UPS delivery, they just left it 4 feet in front of my door...

Aug 2013 Update - both sensors died...the first one died 6 months and the second one died last month. These lights now keep turning themselve on and off constantly all day, and drained the batteries very quickly.
0Comment27 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 11, 2012
Ordered the 3 pack as it is like getting 1 free.

These lights are well made and the sensitivity is about perfect. They have a good range of operation and don't seem to be bothered by my trees blowing in the wind. They put out amble light considering they would run the batteries down too fast if they were too powerful. When my outside lights are turned on they don't come on -- perfect! I have noticed that one on the deck does come on if I don't give my outside lights a few seconds to warm up before I walk out.

After reading reviews about water infiltration I decided to wrap the seam of one that was exposed to weather with electrical tape... that should avoid water damage. Of course I will have to remove it to change the batteries.

With my rural location (dark) it is the perfect fix for trying to get around and unlock the door. Let's hope the batteries last a while. Bought a bunch of "D" cells when on sale. Highly recommended!
on January 12, 2013
LEDs are nice and bright. They seem to turn on with any wildlife larger than a cat (like a racoon, a dog, deer ... snowmobilers..). I'd have preferred an adjustment for sensitivity, but that's being picky! They got the sensitivity pretty close to perfect.

They are installed at our cabin. The first one is aimed to see our vehicle arrive and lights up our drive to the shed. The second is above the cabin door and I no longer worry about tripping over toys the grandchildren left about. I can now see to put the key into the door. The last one is on the deck and faces the trees. As someone else mentioned, the motion of the trees does not turn on the light.

The lights start to work just after the sun goes down and stop working a few minutes after sunrise. Perfect.

I don't have any issues with moisture since the lights are installed beneath the overhanging roof of the shed and the cabin.

It has not been cold enough yet to give them a good test. I know they work down to -25C (about 15 below F). I'll update the review (If I can figure out how) when it gets colder.