5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate cut or Director's Cut ?
Published on Jan. 24 2010 by Sebastien Patenaude

3.0 out of 5 stars Good movie
If you like superheros from comic books, you are in for a treat. The special effects are very well made.
Published on Aug. 3 2012 by sp

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate cut or Director's Cut ?, Jan. 24 2010
Sebastien Patenaude "Québec Dragon" (Montréal, Québec) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watchmen: The Ultimate Cut (DVD)
The Ultimate Cut package includes 5 discs on DVD and 4 discs on Blu-ray. The actual Ultimate Cut is the Director's Cut with the Tales of the Black Freighter animated footage woven in (approximately 25 minutes and sold separately before). I don't know if it's possible to watch it without the animation but I don't think so. However, there's a digital copy of the theatrical release (not the director's cut) in the package. What's new in the Ultimate Cut compared to the Director's Cut is two commentaries : one by Zack Snyder (director) and one by Dave Gibbons (penciller of the Watchmen comics) as well as "new" special features entitled (not really new since they were on the blu-ray version of the Director's Cut) :

- Real super-heroes, real vigilantes (27:28 minutes)
- Mechanics : technologies of a fantastic world (16:46 minutes)
- Story within a story : the books of Watchmen (26 minutes)

You also have a live action interview/documentary about the Minutemen called Under the hood (previously available in Tales of the Black Freighter DVD) and the special features of the Director's Cut. Finally, you have the Complete Motion comics on 2 discs (also available separately before this release). Seems to me that if you already have the Director's Cut of Watchmen, the Tales of the Black Freighter DVD and the Complete Motion Comics DVD, you have to decide whether or not you want to pay again for the commentaries and roughly an hour of new special features. If you only have the Director's Cut dvd, then the Ultimate Cut is quite a deal.

If you're interested in reading my review of the Watchmen movie (seen in theaters) and whether or not it's for you, then please read on (there are no spoilers to my knowledge).

I'm wondering whether I should restrain my enthusiasm for fear of raising expectations too much for potential viewers. Keep in mind that Watchmen got mixed reviews and that it's not for everyone. I'm a huge fan of the original graphic novel, I had my doubts but this movie really impressed me. The director probably did the best adaptation that could have been done and I still wonder how he got away with it, how it did not get more "hollywoodized" in a negative sense. Throughout the projection, I was in awe at the world that was created and any negative aspect I could find here (because no it isn't perfect) would be nitpicking (one of them being the choice of music during the owl ship scene in a soundtrack which I otherwise found quite good). Watchmen is great in so many ways: rich in plot, visually stunning, smart, original, philosophical food for thought, shocking unpredictable twists (for those who didn't read the book), exciting action scenes, very good performances and memorable anti-hero characters (especially Rorschach and Dr. Manhattan) to name a few highlights.

It's far from your typical super-hero movie; it's a bold, dark, complex and magnificent of work that will certainly become a cult film if not the masterpiece of the director Zak Snyder whether or not it's a financial success (kudos to Andrew Salmon for his great review here on Amazon comparing Watchmen to Blade Runner). The opening montage showing the history of this alternate world where costumed heroes appeared is not only useful but bloody brilliant and deserves special recognition if not an award of some sort. The storyline itself is fascinating and very well told through layers of flashbacks and a personal journal (heard as the narrator) while also being a murder mystery. More interesting though are the characters themselves, portraits of what multi-faceted costumed "heroes" might be like in the "real" world. You might not like them but you'll likely find them interesting. Some might find the film meandering and too long but to me it's because there's so much good material and there's no way you can catch everything with just one viewing (another incentive to get the DVD). From a cinematography point of view, it's a wonder with amazing camera work, brutal yet graceful action choregraphy and atmospheric set designs. It's peppered with beautiful visual signatures (the first being the iconic smiley face in the puddle) that often are hommages to comic book panels.

There are a few warnings to go with my praise though. If you're allergic to graphical violence (there's a few quick gory scenes), expect something similar to Spider-Man or Batman, want something family-friendly, want typical "super-heroes" (notice the quotation marks) or can't get beyond seeing a blue penis (which by the way is faithful to the graphic novel), then you won't like Watchmen. If you want to see an original intelligent dramatic superhero action film and excellent adaptation of a seminal work in the comic book medium (originally published in 1986-87) that was extremely influential and changed the perception of what super-hero stories could achieve, then you might like it. You don't need to read the book to appreciate the movie but you'll appreciate and understand it more if you do read it either before or after (I would suggest after so the movie is more visceral and surprising to you). The movie is self-contained and will not have sequels. It's definitely worth getting but choose your edition carefully so you don't end up buying it twice and encouraging the publisher's money grab.

Rating: 4 1/2 stars out of 5

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest comic book movie of all time?, Nov. 21 2009
LeBrain - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Watchmen: The Ultimate Cut (DVD)
The greatest comic book movie of all time? Yeah, I do think so. I've seen a lot of them. There's quite a few I haven't seen as well, but from Watchmen to Spider-Man to Ghost World to even spoofy things like Comic Book: The Movie, nothing has satisfied me like the Ultimate Cut of Watchmen.

I won't get too much into the movie itself -- check out reviews of the regular DVD editions for that. (I can't sum up a story so rich in just a few sentences, and I want to discuss what makes this set special.) I will say, being a fan of the graphic novel, that I was very happy with the way that Zack Snyder captured Watchmen. It was done with love and care. The things that are discarded, I didn't miss so much. The things that he changed, I understand why it was done. The things that are reverently exactly the same made my jaw drop in awe. And the soundtrack is one of the best in recent memory. Outside of Wes Anderson, I haven't loved a soundtrack this much in a long time. The acting performances are what they are, but I have to give special mention to Jackie Earl Haley as Rorschach.

This ultimate cut weaves the comic-within-a-comic, "Tales Of The Black Freighter" (previously available on its own) into the main body of Watchmen. Also included are live action linking segments so that you go to the animation (voiced by Gerard Butler) to the main story much like it worked in the graphic novel. People who haven't read the graphic novel might not understand what "Black Freighter" is doing there, but be patient. It will make sense by the end. Essentially "Black Freighter", aside from being a really cool and gruesome pirate tale, echoes the journey of many characters in the main film, such as Ozymandias and Rorschach.

Five discs, beautifully packaged. Hardly a complaint to be registered. The box is heavy and sturdy. Also included is Watchmen: The Motion Comic, packed in its own case, 5 hours long, and taking up 2 of the 5 discs. One disc is the digital copy of the theatrical cut (digital copies don't interest me) and another disc is loaded with special features. Best of these is Under The Hood, which is based on the graphic novel segments covering Holis Mason's (Nite Owl I) autobiography. It is presented as a television program from 1975 and 1985 including comercials and scratchy footage. At 35 minutes, this is an absolute must. Other special features include brand new audio commentaries, although I haven't delved into those yet. This set is just loaded.

Having said that, I'm not going to discard my Director's Cut of Watchmen. Clocking in at almost four hours, watching this version is a commitment. I know that occasionally, I will want to watch the "shorter" version of the film. Having said that, since a digital copy of the theatrical (shortest) cut is included here, maybe you won't feel the need to double up on Watchmen purchases.

This set is essential to all fans of the film and graphic novel. If you hated the film, then avoid this -- you'll probably hate it even more. For an enriched viewing experience, set aside the four hours one afternoon and enjoy.

One little side note: For me this set was extremely hard to find. Everywhere I went, I was told:
"It's not out yet."
"It only exists on Blu-Ray."
"We don't have a listing for it."
I had to order it in from the States.

Good luck getting yours. Enjoy! Five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Blade Runner Of The 21st Century, June 23 2009
Andrew Salmon (Vancouver, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
This movie is a masterpiece in my opinion.

I can't really review the DVD yet as it isn't out yet. But the Director's Cut is about 30 minutes longer than what was shown in theaters and I'm dying to see it.

My own view as to why it didn't clean up at the box office is because the movie is ahead of its time. When the graphic novel came out in the 1980s, comic readers were tired of the same old same old in comics. WATCHMEN came along and blew up the traditional superhero stereotypes.

A lot was said in interviews by the creators of the film that MOVIE audiences were tired of "typical" superhero movies (just as those comic readers were back in the 80s) and the timing was right for WATCHMEN to blow people's minds.

Well, it did and it didn't. For those who "got" the movie, mission accomplished. For most fans of the novel, mission accomplished. But for the "masses", it didn't quite work. I've read a lot of complaints about the film and there is a common thread running through them. Folks who didn't like the movie complain that it was not what they expected. In other words, it was not a typical superhero movie.

From this, I think it's safe to say that movie goers WEREN'T ready for a different kind of superhero movie.

Yet.

When Blade Runner came out it was a dismal failure. Many of the same complaints being made now about WATCHMEN were made about Blade Runner: it's too long, it's too slow, there's no action... Now Blade Runner is generally considered (not by everyone, I know) one of the best science-fiction movies ever made. It has become a classic. It was ahead of its time and audiences eventually caught up.

I think the same will be said of WATCHMEN. Hollywood is cranking out superhero movies faster than we can watch them. Movie goers are loving the CGI and action sequences. We're eating it up! But the time is coming when you'll see a trailer for one of these and groan: "My God, not ANOTHER superhero movie."

And that's when it'll be time to check out WATCHMEN again. You might just see the movie a little differently then.

I'm convinced that WATCHMEN, like Blade Runner, will become a classic. I loved the movie. Saw it 5 times in the theater and will probably wear out the DVD. Zack Snyder stayed true to the source material, he didn't dumb it down. And the movie looks stunning! In my mind it is already a classic.

Let's see what time does to the general regard for the film.

4.0 out of 5 stars Regardless of what the purists say -- this is well done, May 8 2014
It is fairly typical that one will enjoy the original presentation of a story and then spurn other renditions. Speaking as one who did not follow the original comics, I can only say that this has a lot of wow(!) supported by very intelligent storytellers. And I'm not sure what is different in the director's cut, but that AWKWARD sex scene in the owl-craft is not so bad here. If you thought the violence at the bars of Rorschach's cell was bad, you ain't seen nothin' yet. This is one of those rare occasions wherein the violence was appropriate to the situation, and so must be excused in its abhorrence. When people get hit, there are consequences equatable to what they would be in real life. To the purist naysayers, I say: there are a lot of challenges involved in making a story of another medium into a movie (even if the whole thing HAS been story-boarded for you, there are factors such as not making the movie five hours long) and I very much enjoy the result of the movieization of Watchmen.

4.0 out of 5 stars great comic book movie, March 14 2014
This isn't batman, Spider-Man, Thor, iron man or any other family super hero movie. Its a dark adult comic book movie that has shooting and blood. Extended version is just over 3 hours long but worth the watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who Said Big Brother Is Not watching Us..., June 23 2013
I wouldn't even begin to dissect this movie to tell you almost everything that everyone
hasn't already said,But I'm just going to say this is one awesome fricking unbelievably movie
that i have ever seen,i've loved [Jackie Earle Haley] even from Human Target,which was so
dam good have no idea why in gods name it was cancelled,Patrick Wilson just blew me away
with his acting,not until the credits start rolling then i knew it was him,honestly didn't know
it was him,Zack Snyder i so appricate you honestly took the time and patience to
make this movie what it is,thank you ..

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch the Watchmen, Aug. 24 2012
This review is from: Watchmen: The Ultimate Cut (DVD)
Ok, first off, this is the best thing I've ever bought online. When I got it I was amazed by this product. This is such an awesome deal. Don't hesitate to get it. Best movie ever!!!! Every Watchmen fan needs this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good movie, Aug. 3 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes!, Jan. 12 2012
This review is from: Watchmen: The Ultimate Cut (DVD)
I have finally found this after looking for it since it came out. Thankfully Amazon has a diverse selection of products, AND got it for cheaper than the $50+ I had expected.

Great adaption of the graphic novel, with a few changes that I had actually liked better, *SPOILERS* namely the ending. */SPOILERS* The Ultimate Cut makes it even better, and saves a bunch of money when you buy it by including the Motion Comic if you were going to buy it seperately anyway, aswell as the Black Freighter portion.

The box is great, although the pirate symbol button instead of the smiley face button was a poor choice. Minor gripe that does not affect my satisfaction with the product in the least however.

All in all, a great boxset. Would love if more movies were boxed like this, if they were applicable anyway.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not A Popcorn Movie.., July 11 2009
This is not a superhero movie meant to sell soft drink and popcorn.. This is not a superhero movie about "getting the bad guys".. This isn't even a superhero movie "how they got these powers, or the weight they bear".. This is a DECONSTRUCTION of the super hero.. What would happen if you took masked heroes, and put them IN OUR EARTH ?? What would happen if we woke up one day, and found out, man CAN BE GOD ?? Is our society ready to greet THE FANTASTIC, or will we huddle in fear ?? If you don't like superhero movies that ask questions, then pass on this.. BUT if you're ready for a different kind of take on superheroes, beyond "men in costumes", then see what all the hubub is all about..

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Watchmen: The Ultimate Cut
Watchmen: The Ultimate Cut by Zack Snyder (DVD)
CDN$ 71.00