countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Pets All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Format: DVD|Change
Price:$102.04+ $3.49 shipping

on July 11, 2009
This is not a superhero movie meant to sell soft drink and popcorn.. This is not a superhero movie about "getting the bad guys".. This isn't even a superhero movie "how they got these powers, or the weight they bear".. This is a DECONSTRUCTION of the super hero.. What would happen if you took masked heroes, and put them IN OUR EARTH ?? What would happen if we woke up one day, and found out, man CAN BE GOD ?? Is our society ready to greet THE FANTASTIC, or will we huddle in fear ?? If you don't like superhero movies that ask questions, then pass on this.. BUT if you're ready for a different kind of take on superheroes, beyond "men in costumes", then see what all the hubub is all about..
on July 5, 2015
My only disappointment with this set is that the Director's Cut of the film is not included. Congratulations for your tentative of making the fans buy several releases to get all the content, Warner Bros. Other than that, recommended.
on July 19, 2009
The question has been raised if it is wise to buy this Director's Cut version of Watchmen when the Black Freighter Version is coming later this year.
It is my understanding that the Black Freighter version will combine the BF animation with the Director's Cut movie but WILL NOT have the option of watching without the animated footage. The Freighter version will also have the exclusive comentary, the Motion Comics and Under the Hood Feature included but WILL NOT include all of the bonus features that come with this Director's Cut version. (Detailed information on the Black Freighter Version is online if you look around)

Update: I have found some information that states there WILL be 2 Hours of bonus features with the Black Freighter (or Ultimate) version, but it does not specify what they are...

Director Zack Snyder has stated that the Director's Cut is his preferred version of the film...I guess I'll decide for myself when my copy arrives! (I'll probably end up getting the Black Freighter version too as I really enjoyed this movie!)
on January 24, 2015
I have seen this film seven times now. This is my first viewing of the director's cut. Although the additional material does fill-in some minor gaps in the story I can understand why the editor left it out of the theatrical release. It's a long movie and the deleted bits don't really improve the story so much as slow it down. The scene where Dr. Manhattan is overwhelmed at the TV studio is so much more powerful without the additional footage. The second disc of bonus material seems somewhat thin. I enjoyed the documentaries but expected more content. How is the music video even related to the film?
on June 23, 2009
This movie is a masterpiece in my opinion.

I can't really review the DVD yet as it isn't out yet. But the Director's Cut is about 30 minutes longer than what was shown in theaters and I'm dying to see it.

My own view as to why it didn't clean up at the box office is because the movie is ahead of its time. When the graphic novel came out in the 1980s, comic readers were tired of the same old same old in comics. WATCHMEN came along and blew up the traditional superhero stereotypes.

A lot was said in interviews by the creators of the film that MOVIE audiences were tired of "typical" superhero movies (just as those comic readers were back in the 80s) and the timing was right for WATCHMEN to blow people's minds.

Well, it did and it didn't. For those who "got" the movie, mission accomplished. For most fans of the novel, mission accomplished. But for the "masses", it didn't quite work. I've read a lot of complaints about the film and there is a common thread running through them. Folks who didn't like the movie complain that it was not what they expected. In other words, it was not a typical superhero movie.

From this, I think it's safe to say that movie goers WEREN'T ready for a different kind of superhero movie.

Yet.

When Blade Runner came out it was a dismal failure. Many of the same complaints being made now about WATCHMEN were made about Blade Runner: it's too long, it's too slow, there's no action... Now Blade Runner is generally considered (not by everyone, I know) one of the best science-fiction movies ever made. It has become a classic. It was ahead of its time and audiences eventually caught up.

I think the same will be said of WATCHMEN. Hollywood is cranking out superhero movies faster than we can watch them. Movie goers are loving the CGI and action sequences. We're eating it up! But the time is coming when you'll see a trailer for one of these and groan: "My God, not ANOTHER superhero movie."

And that's when it'll be time to check out WATCHMEN again. You might just see the movie a little differently then.

I'm convinced that WATCHMEN, like Blade Runner, will become a classic. I loved the movie. Saw it 5 times in the theater and will probably wear out the DVD. Zack Snyder stayed true to the source material, he didn't dumb it down. And the movie looks stunning! In my mind it is already a classic.

Let's see what time does to the general regard for the film.
After the Comedian has been murdered, lone remaining vigilante Rorschach begins an investigation into his old acquaintance’s death. Since most superheroes were banned from existing after some legislation several years before, he looks up old allies and even old enemies in his quest for the truth. Slowly, he begins to unravel a plot that could bring about a disaster unlike anything the world has ever seen before.

Based on what some would argue is the greatest graphic novel and superhero story of all time, Watchmen written by Alan More and Dave Gibbons, this movie adaptation was years in the making. Not this specific rendition, but from what I know, the book was optioned way back when it came out in the ’80s but never got off the ground. One of the reasons was very few filmmakers had the guts to touch it because Watchmen is such a revered work amongst comic fans and even in some literary and academic circles.

Enter director Zack Snyder (Dawn of the Dead (2004), Man of Steel, 300 and more), whose eye for detail and a knack for visual storytelling takes on the gargantuan project and does his best to faithfully adapt Watchmen to the big screen. Him and his creative team nail it, in my opinion, and adapt the book the only way something like Watchmen could be adapted: panel-by-panel. It was the safest route but also the smartest. Some changes were made—like the ending—but for the most part, the book is translated completely as is to the big screen. Even the director’s cut includes additional scenes and animated clips from Tales of the Black Freighter interspersed throughout just like the graphic novel has bits of the pirate comic peppered throughout the main narrative.

Watchmen asks the question: what would superheroes be like if they existed in the real world? Whether they are of the superpowerless variety or something more Superman-like ala Dr. Manhattan, you get an honest portrayal of superheroes in real life, all centered around the mystery of the murder of one of their friends.

This story is about as down-to-earth as you get regarding superheroes in real life, and depending on the angle you’re coming from, can be equal to or more so than Kick-Ass in that regard.

Each character in the flick matched their character in the book, all the way from the crazy-yet-cynical Comedian (Jeffrey Dean Morgan), to black-and-white-justice-seeking Rorschach (Jackie Earle Haley), to idealistic-yet-obsessed Nite Owl (Patrick Wilson), to insecure-but-strong Silk Spectre II (Malin Akerman), to misguided-but-you-can-see-how-he’s-right Ozymandias (Matthew Goode), and a supporting cast that makes every moment believable.

The Watchmen story is so dense that the fact they were able to take the twelve-part series and showcase nearly all of it in around three and a half hours—I’m talking about the ultimate cut of the movie, which includes Tales of the Black Freighter and a bunch of additional footage not seen in the theatrical release—is pretty impressive. What’s amazing about the Watchmen narrative and thus the movie is the incredible amount of history for the characters that needed to be shown without bogging down the main story, which was the Comedian’s murder. You get to know these characters intimately, their pasts, their present and in some cases, their future.

Zack Snyder’s knack for visuals gave this flick its own flavor and tone thanks to the color filters on the film. The score is fantastic. The action scenes were well done and quickly-paced, using brutal fighting techniques and the right amount of blood.

Watchmen is certainly not your traditional superhero flick. It’s a superhero drama and is meant for an audience who likes to have some thinking along with their superhero slugfests. As a comic book fan, I appreciated the movie’s faithfulness to the graphic novel, the overall story of Watchmen, and how each person involved really seemed to take this movie seriously. Nothing was tongue-in-cheek.

Watchmen ranks right up there as one of the greatest superhero movies of all time. If you consider yourself a superhero fan, then you should check it out. It’s a serious look at the genre through the lens of a clever story with amazing characters, all of which you feel like you’ve known for ages instead of just for a few hours on the screen.

Highly recommended. Not for kids.
on April 19, 2015
Oddly enough, I hated this film when I saw it in theatres, but I decided to give it a second shot, and I'm glad I did.

My only complaint is a very confusing music choice, and the casting choice of Matthew Goode as Ozymandias. While overall, the soundtrack was wonderful, I'm still baffled by the choice of "Hallelujah" during a sex scene. It served only to make an intimate, character-changing moment unintentionally hilarious. And the flamethrower at the end? Really? Ugh. Honestly, I still ignore this scene when I watch the film.

As far as Ozymandias goes... I don't know. He was a picturesque, brilliant, charismatic Adonis in the graphic novel, and Matthew Goode just does not live up to that character. He came across more like an idealistic geek who lucked out a few times, got rich, and now wants to change the world. Both physically and mentally, Goode's portrayal did not live up to the comic's depiction of Ozymadias, and with the release of the prequels, this is even more evident.

So having said that, why do I give this movie 5 starts?

BECAUSE THE REST IS FREAKING AMAZING!

Snyder's ability to rip scenes from the comic and bring them to life on screen cannot be overstated. All other casting choices, every single one, were bang-on and it was a delight to watch The Comedian, Rorschach, Dr. Manhattan, all of them beautifully depicted. The dark yet somehow hopeful atmosphere of the comic was maintained throughout the film (with the exception of the stupid sex scene) and while the ending deviates from the source material, I both support and enjoyed Snyder's interpretation.

Get this movie.
on May 8, 2014
It is fairly typical that one will enjoy the original presentation of a story and then spurn other renditions. Speaking as one who did not follow the original comics, I can only say that this has a lot of wow(!) supported by very intelligent storytellers. And I'm not sure what is different in the director's cut, but that AWKWARD sex scene in the owl-craft is not so bad here. If you thought the violence at the bars of Rorschach's cell was bad, you ain't seen nothin' yet. This is one of those rare occasions wherein the violence was appropriate to the situation, and so must be excused in its abhorrence. When people get hit, there are consequences equatable to what they would be in real life. To the purist naysayers, I say: there are a lot of challenges involved in making a story of another medium into a movie (even if the whole thing HAS been story-boarded for you, there are factors such as not making the movie five hours long) and I very much enjoy the result of the movieization of Watchmen.
on October 19, 2009
what can I say I read the graphic novel in my English class and it was the best novel I have ever read and I doubts that the movie would have the same impact on me as the graphic novel but by the end all my doubts were gone.

For anyone who has not read the graphic novel I would sujest reading it first that way you will enjoy the movie alot more but for those of you who dont want to heres the main plot. The year is 1985 and Richard Nixon is president of the united states? The world is different from ours though because vigilantes are real and have been around since the 1930's but Watchmen does something different and the men/woman that are in the costumes are a tad different than the ones we are used to seeing.

Batman, Superman and spiderman are well known heros and are all have great morals and always do the right thing but in Watchmen we see what it would be like if rapists and murderers dressed up and roamed the streets. Also Watchmen explains what it would be like if Superman were real and in the Novel/film the character Dr. Manhattan has every power you can think of and dosent seem to really care for humanity. In this world being a vigilante is illegal so many work for the government including dr Manhattan and he is responcible for Nixons third preident run.

As for the movie it lives up to the graphic novel very well and really gets you invovled with each character and their stories. One drawback I found was the film tried to be epic at some points over un nescissary stuff such as lighting a cigarette. Bottom line for what it is its great and is a must see for any Comic book fan.

Story 10/10
Action 8/10
Design 8/10
Acting 8.5/10
Overall 8.5/10
on January 12, 2012
I have finally found this after looking for it since it came out. Thankfully Amazon has a diverse selection of products, AND got it for cheaper than the $50+ I had expected.

Great adaption of the graphic novel, with a few changes that I had actually liked better, *SPOILERS* namely the ending. */SPOILERS* The Ultimate Cut makes it even better, and saves a bunch of money when you buy it by including the Motion Comic if you were going to buy it seperately anyway, aswell as the Black Freighter portion.

The box is great, although the pirate symbol button instead of the smiley face button was a poor choice. Minor gripe that does not affect my satisfaction with the product in the least however.

All in all, a great boxset. Would love if more movies were boxed like this, if they were applicable anyway.