4.0 out of 5 stars Careful...No Subtitles
Published on Dec 10 2009 by Robbie California

1.0 out of 5 stars Hello, there are no English Subtitles
Single DVD version - I was extremely disappointed that it did not have English subtitles. When you watch the English version of the movie it only gives you French subtitles and that is the only choice. There is no choice to use English subtitles. Do I need to explain why?
Hello, I can't hear you!

Update Dec. 19, 2009
I contacted Warner Bros and...
Published on Dec 13 2009 by MLD

1.0 out of 5 stars Hello, there are no English Subtitles, Dec 13 2009
MLD "MLD" (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
Hello, I can't hear you!

Update Dec. 19, 2009
I contacted Warner Bros and they are exchanging the DVD for a US version which does have full subtitles. The following is the reply from Warner Bros:
"The standard definition versions of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince initially released in Canada on December 8, 2009 inadvertently omitted English subtitles (for the Deaf and Hearing Impaired). Warner Home Video is currently working on updating the Canadian version to include English subtitles."

3.0 out of 5 stars Again, no English sub titles, Dec 16 2009
R. J. Harwood (Brockville, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
For such a great franchise , there are passages with quiet spoken dialogue which require that you read the sub-titles to see what was said, but in the single disc version, there are no english (sub-titles.) What is that all about.
I exchanged my disc for the two disc version and now I'm a happy camper. It cost a few dollars more but well worth it !
This is a very dark, but very interesting movie.
Well to my surprise, even with the two disc version, the sub titles are only available in French only...I should have purchased this movie from a U.S. Source.
I think I read somewhere, that Warners has admitted the glowing error of their ways !

4.0 out of 5 stars Careful...No Subtitles, Dec 10 2009
I loved this movie. It's very dark and foreboding. Just like the book series, by the time you get to "The Half-Blood Prince", the fun and games of the earlier Harry books are a distant memory. Again, it's not really kids stuff anymore, so parents, be careful when showing to youngsters. I would have given this particular disc a ***** rating but, like others have mentioned, there are NO ENGLISH SUB-TITLES???

3.0 out of 5 stars No english subtitles!!!!, July 21 2010
Lynda G. Smith "gaelynsgirl" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
First of all, let me say I loved the movie! I've been a fan since the beginning when the book stores were saying, '
What was the title again??? Harry who????" As a writer I had been researching what young people were reading and discovered the Harry Potter series selling like hotcakes in England. I ordered one to see what the fuss was all about. The rest is history. I own all the books in english and spanish, every vhs and every dvd. But at 63 my hearing is not what it was and the sound combined with the accents means I really do need english subtitles. I wrote to Warner Bros with no result. They didn't even post my review - I suppose because it was negative in the absence of the subtitles. I finally downloaded the screenplay from the internet to find out what I was missing and while it helped, it is not the same as having the words right there on the screen. I'm glad they have addressed this issue and will release a copy with subtitles but darn it, I'm frustrated that I have to buy another dvd.

3.0 out of 5 stars What happened?, Jan. 3 2010
Sam (British Columbia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince / et le Prince de sang-mêlé (Bilingual) (DVD)
I thoroughly enjoyed the other Harry Potter movies, however Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince was not faithful to the book, and was not interesting to watch. Nothing really happened. There was no remarkable climax, and many of the interesting parts that I found in the novel were modified to fit the two hours that this movie ran for.

Quidditch was a large part of the novel, but a very small part of the movie. A proper game was not shown fully. And the part when Harry and Ron stopped talking to each other was not shown at all.

If anyone did not read the novel, they will not find this movie at all interesting. I know the people that I was watching it with were not impressed staring at the screen for two hours, with nothing happening. Still, the scenes that were shown in the movie looked impressive, and their backgrounds too. The acting was great, and hopefully the next movie will be even better.

Harry discovers a potions textbook that tells me alternative methods to create potions, which gives him better results! This textbook is the property of the Half-Blood Prince. Who is this Half-Blood Prince?

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm disappointed, Jan. 7 2010
BookChick (Simcoe, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I can't help but be disappointed with the latest installment of "Harry Potter". I'm a huge Harry Potter fan: I've read all of the books several times over, I've watched the movies and I've played the video games. This movie is the first one that truly disappointed me.

First of all, it has been a long time since I've read this book, but you can't help but notice the large holes in the plot. Those who haven't read the book and can't fill in the plot holes by memory are bound to be confused by the abrupt plot jumps.

Second, the ending of the movie is nothing compared to the book. The book had action, terror, battles and death leading up to the conclusion, but the movie chooses only one part of the ending of the book and focuses only on that, which is a disservice to those who love Harry Potter. Throughout the movie I kept telling my husband (who hasn't read the book), "Hey, it might be boring now, but just wait for the end." Boy, was I wrong.

I think that those who wrote the movie and chose which parts should be included made a mistake in what they chose. Sure, they included a few key parts, and I do understand that not everything can make it into the movie, but I think that they just chose the wrong parts, and the movie ended up a mess. I will not be buying this movie, but I will hold out hope that they do a better job with the final book, which will be made into two movies.

5.0 out of 5 stars You get exactly what you buy., March 28 2013
If you like Harry Potter you'll like this DVD. There's nothing special to the product itself. It's a simple DVD, but you buy it for the content and you wont be disappointed in the content.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre, Dec 17 2009
Poetkitty (Victoria, British Columbia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I just watched this, and I came away shrugging my shoulders more than anything. To compare the books to the movie adaptations will guarantee disappointment, but this really fell flat to me. I didn't like Slughorn much - thought he should be fatter and more decadent; the cave scene with Dumbledore and Harry wasn't at all how I imagined it should be...there didn't seem to be a real 'enemy' here - Draco of course was one, but it didn't seem very intense. It lacked the real combat between Harry and Voldemort, the tension and battles with the order of the phoenix or the whole school's hatred of Umbridge...I think it lacked the personal intensity of the other films...it seemed to be more 'setting the stage' for everything that was yet to come....

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as advertised, March 4 2011
Nothing wrong with the disc itself but the product description says it comes with an online download. The problem is the coupon for the download expired in May 2010 so you are paying extra for nothing. Instead, order this copy... Harry Potter & Half-Blood Prince [Blu-ray] ...it's cheaper (at least the pre-order price is ($17.09 vs 27.99)) but it doesn't come with the second disc of extras.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pour les fans, Dec 3 2014
Comme pour tous les films de Harry Potter le livre est bien meilleur, mais la série reste super le fun à regarder. Les acteurs sont moyennement convainquant, mais ça s'améliore plus la série avance. Personnellement, c'est un des films de la série que j'ai le moins aimé.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince / et le Prince de sang-mêlé (Bilingual)
CDN$ 14.96 CDN$ 8.99