4.0 out of 5 stars Careful...No Subtitles
Published on Dec 10 2009 by Robbie California

1.0 out of 5 stars Hello, there are no English Subtitles
Single DVD version - I was extremely disappointed that it did not have English subtitles. When you watch the English version of the movie it only gives you French subtitles and that is the only choice. There is no choice to use English subtitles. Do I need to explain why?
Hello, I can't hear you!

Update Dec. 19, 2009
I contacted Warner Bros and...
Published on Dec 13 2009 by MLD

1.0 out of 5 stars Hello, there are no English Subtitles, Dec 13 2009
MLD "MLD" (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
Hello, I can't hear you!

Update Dec. 19, 2009
I contacted Warner Bros and they are exchanging the DVD for a US version which does have full subtitles. The following is the reply from Warner Bros:
"The standard definition versions of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince initially released in Canada on December 8, 2009 inadvertently omitted English subtitles (for the Deaf and Hearing Impaired). Warner Home Video is currently working on updating the Canadian version to include English subtitles."

3.0 out of 5 stars Again, no English sub titles, Dec 16 2009
R. J. Harwood (Brockville, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
For such a great franchise , there are passages with quiet spoken dialogue which require that you read the sub-titles to see what was said, but in the single disc version, there are no english (sub-titles.) What is that all about.
I exchanged my disc for the two disc version and now I'm a happy camper. It cost a few dollars more but well worth it !
This is a very dark, but very interesting movie.
Well to my surprise, even with the two disc version, the sub titles are only available in French only...I should have purchased this movie from a U.S. Source.
I think I read somewhere, that Warners has admitted the glowing error of their ways !

4.0 out of 5 stars Careful...No Subtitles, Dec 10 2009
I loved this movie. It's very dark and foreboding. Just like the book series, by the time you get to "The Half-Blood Prince", the fun and games of the earlier Harry books are a distant memory. Again, it's not really kids stuff anymore, so parents, be careful when showing to youngsters. I would have given this particular disc a ***** rating but, like others have mentioned, there are NO ENGLISH SUB-TITLES???

3.0 out of 5 stars No english subtitles!!!!, July 21 2010
Lynda G. Smith "gaelynsgirl" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
First of all, let me say I loved the movie! I've been a fan since the beginning when the book stores were saying, '
What was the title again??? Harry who????" As a writer I had been researching what young people were reading and discovered the Harry Potter series selling like hotcakes in England. I ordered one to see what the fuss was all about. The rest is history. I own all the books in english and spanish, every vhs and every dvd. But at 63 my hearing is not what it was and the sound combined with the accents means I really do need english subtitles. I wrote to Warner Bros with no result. They didn't even post my review - I suppose because it was negative in the absence of the subtitles. I finally downloaded the screenplay from the internet to find out what I was missing and while it helped, it is not the same as having the words right there on the screen. I'm glad they have addressed this issue and will release a copy with subtitles but darn it, I'm frustrated that I have to buy another dvd.

3.0 out of 5 stars What happened?, Jan. 3 2010
Sam (British Columbia) - See all my reviews
I thoroughly enjoyed the other Harry Potter movies, however Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince was not faithful to the book, and was not interesting to watch. Nothing really happened. There was no remarkable climax, and many of the interesting parts that I found in the novel were modified to fit the two hours that this movie ran for.

Quidditch was a large part of the novel, but a very small part of the movie. A proper game was not shown fully. And the part when Harry and Ron stopped talking to each other was not shown at all.

If anyone did not read the novel, they will not find this movie at all interesting. I know the people that I was watching it with were not impressed staring at the screen for two hours, with nothing happening. Still, the scenes that were shown in the movie looked impressive, and their backgrounds too. The acting was great, and hopefully the next movie will be even better.

Harry discovers a potions textbook that tells me alternative methods to create potions, which gives him better results! This textbook is the property of the Half-Blood Prince. Who is this Half-Blood Prince?

1.0 out of 5 stars No SUBTITLES!, June 29 2011
charmeddigitalchick (Warkworth, Ontario, CANADA) - See all my reviews
Shame on Warner Bros for NOT including English subtitles/captions for the Hard of Hearing/Deaf on the Harry Potter & the Half Blood Prince DVD!

There are over 20 million people in North America that have some form of hearing loss, captions are integral to following conversations in movies & TV shows, especially action scenes that are nearly impossible to lip read.

I contacted Warner Bros. about the US version and they do NOT have any DVD's with the english captions available and will NOT be providing a new/updated version of this video with subtitles.

Keep in mind this is not in regards to the Blu-Ray version which does features subtitles. (However, I do not have a Blu-Ray DVD player and therefore cannot purchase it)

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm disappointed, Jan. 7 2010
BookChick (Simcoe, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Ce commentaire est de: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - 2-Disc Special Edition (Bilingual) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I can't help but be disappointed with the latest installment of "Harry Potter". I'm a huge Harry Potter fan: I've read all of the books several times over, I've watched the movies and I've played the video games. This movie is the first one that truly disappointed me.

First of all, it has been a long time since I've read this book, but you can't help but notice the large holes in the plot. Those who haven't read the book and can't fill in the plot holes by memory are bound to be confused by the abrupt plot jumps.

Second, the ending of the movie is nothing compared to the book. The book had action, terror, battles and death leading up to the conclusion, but the movie chooses only one part of the ending of the book and focuses only on that, which is a disservice to those who love Harry Potter. Throughout the movie I kept telling my husband (who hasn't read the book), "Hey, it might be boring now, but just wait for the end." Boy, was I wrong.

I think that those who wrote the movie and chose which parts should be included made a mistake in what they chose. Sure, they included a few key parts, and I do understand that not everything can make it into the movie, but I think that they just chose the wrong parts, and the movie ended up a mess. I will not be buying this movie, but I will hold out hope that they do a better job with the final book, which will be made into two movies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince The Film: Journey's Through The Pensieve, Sept. 28 2012
Scoopriches (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
Another great movie, filled with action and suspense and secrets galore. But also another great movie which begged to be split into two. We are witnessing a shadow war, filled with smaller skirmishes, all occurring while Harry gets his important lesson yet: Know Thy Enemy. Which is what Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is all about.

What J.K. alluded to in Prince is shown in terrifying detail here in the opening sections. Death Eaters on rampages, unchecked by the Ministry of Magic, and always seemingly two steps ahead of the Order. Amidst this chaos, Harry is quietly staying away from the Durleys, when Dumbledore plucks him up for a mission. This mirrors a marked change the book originated, with the mentor Dumbledore not just appearing mostly in one of the final chapters to gently explain or not explain things to Harry, but to redraw the relationship as more of a partnership. Much like a buddy cop movie armed with wands, this unlikely duo uses quips and junior psychology to achieve their necessary goals.

The throughline feeding the adventure for this dynamic duo is the compressed history of Tom Riddle, all told in intervals via the Pensieve. Unfortunately I think the story of the Gaunts might have been a bit too scary for this essentially PG rated film series. But even the truncated orphanage scenes convey the damage Tom already had endured to his young mind. So much of what J.K. implied and inserted into here reveals the heart and desires of the villain, all in her attempt to humanize him. But as we see further and further into the memories, any sympathies we harbour vanish as his calculating cruelty increases. Tom may have endured a bad childhood, but by the time of his Horcrux inquiries, he knows the difference between right and wrong.

When not observing the past, Harry is following Draco, convinced this henchman of Voldemort is up to something. A small point about these sections, is that Draco looks so much older in this film, much beyond the age of a typical Hogwarts student. It somewhat took me out of the movie, but I would not have recast at all. Tom Felton had grown on me since Chamber, and his conflicted outlook is exactly what J.K. portrayed.

Another of the characters who captured my attention in the books, but took awhile in the movies, is Ginny Weasley. Bonnie Wright came across very one note with her infatuation filled looks at Harry, but we can see in these later movies how truly commending she is. Even the scenes with Daniel Radcliffe she excels in, getting her to outshine the star of the series.

Which brings up my one fine point of contention. Ginny helped lead the DA in the battle to defend Hogwarts, a battle completely mixing from the movie. My disappointment was only outmatched by my disappointment. Was the studios trying to save money for the very last part? I really wished they hadn't exorcised this fight. It highlights how the war has finally arrived at Hogwarts, and the DA's reactions.

With this ending, Harry is about to enter adulthood. The quest to destroy Voldemort begins now.

Scoopriches

4.0 out of 5 stars Great behind-the-scenes extras, April 23 2011
The only reason I didn't say "I love it" is because the movie is only avaiable in English and French when I would have preferred Spanish too, as that is also spoken in my household.

Of course, because there are no time or budget constraints, I highly recommend reading the book,Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Book 6) [Adult Edition], before viewing the movie, so you get the background stories and all the original action. That being said, this movie is excellent in its own right and worth viewing multiple times.

The extras on the disc are also excellent and fun. I always love getting a glimpse of all the goings-on backstage, and seeing all the work that goes into what seems at first to be a simple scene.

Overall, this 2-disc special edition of the 6th Harry Potter movie is well worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars You get exactly what you buy., March 28 2013
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
If you like Harry Potter you'll like this DVD. There's nothing special to the product itself. It's a simple DVD, but you buy it for the content and you wont be disappointed in the content.

CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.42