4.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter Lite-all the taste without all the calories!
Published on June 20 2010 by Robert Badgley

3.0 out of 5 stars I think I will wait.
Published on Nov. 28 2010 by Eidolon264

4.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter Lite-all the taste without all the calories!, June 20 2010
Robert Badgley (St Thomas,Ontario,Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Harry Potter Years 1-6 Giftset (Widescreen) (Bilingual French/English Edition) (DVD)
This set of six films(to date) of the Harry Potter series is a very good way of owning the set of basic films without having to pay the huge price tag for all those with the extras.This set has very little of them(just three of the trailers) and is basically the first disc of the two disc editions currently available elsewhere.Due out soon are the final movie installments of the final book;being put into two parts to reap the maximum benefits.And I'm sure in the future when all is said and done we will see not one but two and even three disc versions along with expanded editions of each movies,etc,along with the usual all inclusive set.
Author JK Rowling created a bonanza of a book series/franchise with her Harry Potter coming-of-age creation.It submerges the reader/viewer into a fantastical world of wizards and witches;some good,some very bad.Each installment provides us with a glimpse of Harry growing up before our eyes as he attends each successive year the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft & Wizardry.With close friends Hermione and Ron we see the trio thrown into ever increasing dangerous events all leading up to a grand battle with the evil that killed Harry's parents,Tom Riddle/Lord Voldemort.The movies have made overnight stars of its' leading thesps,Daniel Radcliffe,Emma Watson and Rupert Grint.
In the movies we come to understand what a house elf is,a phoenix,a basilisk,dementors,how to play Quidditch and we are introduced to such fascinating characters as Prof.Dumbledore,Sirius Black,Hagrid,the Weasley family,the Malfoys,Prof.Snape,and so many other just as important players.Some of the more well known actors to appear are Robbie Coltrane,Richard Harris,Richard Fiennes,Gary Oldman,Michael Gambon and Maggie Smith.The movies are well acted all around and the special effects to create the world and its' special feel are wonderful to behold.
Of course the authors books contain a much better and more detailed storyline and I recommend a read through these volumes if the movies tweak your appetite at all for more.But the movies do do the best they can within their celluloid constraints in trying to bring to books to life.And if the box office receipts and overall take of Harry Potter merchandise worldwide is any indication the movies have done a great job of it.
Each movie has been transferred wonderfully and all are in their respective widescreen ratios.Each single sided DVD comes in a narrow slip case which I found were nice and snug.
A highly recommended set of all the Harry Potter movies to date for those who like their Harry Potter taste,without all the calories!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, July 23 2010
Brian Schimek - See all my reviews
Got this while on sale for $56 (<$10/disc) and I'm really glad I bought it. It was nice being able to watch years 1 through 6 one after another (in 2 days of course) on blu ray. I'd highly recommend this to any potter fans who don't already own any of the movies.

The discs for the first 4 or 5 (can't remember) movies don't have a title menu or anything, they just fire up right into the beginning of the movie which is nice. We didn't have to skip through endless previews or gov't warnings to get the movie started.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Frills!, Dec 2 2010
So nice to pop a Blu-Ray in, and have it launch right into the movie. No trailers, no warnings, no "super-deluxe mega-edition" features...just a great set of movies. Priced nicely as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the Price, July 23 2010
TheHemming (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
Picked this up on a super deal ($54.99 CAD). We already owned most of the movies on DVD, and have been progressively upgrading to Blu-ray as certain titles go on sale. All I really wanted was to watch the movies in blue ray.

Viewing setup:
Samsung 47" 1080p LCD (60 Hz)
PS3 for Blu-Ray playback (HDMI to TV, Optical for Audio)
Marantz receiver w/ 5.1 audio configuration.

The first 5 movies are very straight forward conversions, not a lot of extra stuff to go with them. Movies will auto play from the beginning, rather than having a Title menu to interact with. Order of the Phoenix is a 2 disc set, and has some extras to is.

Visuals are 5/5 for the last few movies, 4.5/5 for the first 2 or 3. Some of the dark scenes have bad film grain and a tiny bit of artifacting.

Audio is 4.5/5 across the board, with a few scenes being very quiet voices during conversation and the background music being too loud over top. Acceptable, but just annoying to fiddle with volume once a movie.

I'd highly recommend the boxed set as an upgrade, then get the next two *sigh* movies as they arrive.

3.0 out of 5 stars I think I will wait., Nov. 28 2010
We all know that Harry was in Hogwarts for seven years. Unless they have left room in the box for 2 more movies, I doubt if I would get a 'set' now. Some of the comments already posted make sense: If you don't already have the movies, then this is an inexpensive way to get at least 6 of them. I also like that there is an instant start to the movies. But really, perhaps borrow, rent or watch movies on TV as they are appearing there and wait for the completed set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving every second our our Harry Potter box set!, Oct. 2 2010
We are loving our Harry Potter box set in Blu-ray. Most disk seem to just be the movie with little to no extras. I was unable to find a scene section in two of the DVDs so I am assuming that non of them have them. But for what we were looking for and the price we are very happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter Years 1 - 6, Aug. 15 2010
S. Atnikov - See all my reviews
Bought this for my 10 year old daughter and she was thrilled. Great service, delivery was fast as always and another great Amazon experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Potter episodes 1-6 on DVD, Jan. 4 2011
These DVDs are of fine quality and an excellent way to review the ever increasingly complicated events at Hogwarts before plunging into the Big Screen for the final episodes. There are no "extras" such as cut scenes, interviews, commentary, or how the sets were made or how the shots were taken, just the basic movies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deal incroyable, excellente qualité, Dec 9 2010
Les 6 dvd étaient de très bonne qualité, je ne peux pas croire que ça m'a coûter a peine 40$!!! J'étais certaine qu'il y avait une attrape, car en magasin je l'avais vu à 70$, mais il n'y en avait pas. La livraison était très rapide et je suis extrêmement contente de mon achat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter for me is a Classic, Dec 15 2013
No need to say much about Harry Potter movies. But i can tell you they are top quality and Amazon gives me the top service i recommend everyone to try Amazon.ca for your next purchase of anything you may need to try out their service i am more than satisfied. Thank you to the Amazon team and please keep up the great work.Harry Potter is the Movie to watch and to have in your movie collection.