4.0 out of 5 stars Vast improvement
1. Eccentric shape of glass jar makes for easier emptying.
2. Locking mechanism of jar to base is greatly improved - simpler, sturdier, easy on, easy off.
3. Base gasket easier to install/remove.
4. Easy wash [I prefer by hand].
5. Stable
6. Noisy, but that's expected,
7. Blends well even though blades aren't sharp; a safety feature
8...
Published 21 months ago by JackRad

2.0 out of 5 stars Great blender, shame about the lid!
Published 12 months ago by Heather Balmain

4.0 out of 5 stars Vast improvement, Jan. 16 2013
1. Eccentric shape of glass jar makes for easier emptying.
3. Base gasket easier to install/remove.
4. Easy wash [I prefer by hand].
5. Stable
6. Noisy, but that's expected,
7. Blends well even though blades aren't sharp; a safety feature
8. Better than 2 other brands which preceded it and better than the older KitchenAid

4.0 out of 5 stars Great customer service, but be careful when crushing ice!, Nov. 10 2012
Georgey - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
So far I am fairly satisfied with this blender. The motor is extremely powerful, and it does a great job on soups, smoothies, anything liquid.
I would have given this item 5 stars, if not for the fact that the ice crushing mode turned out very scary. The first time I used it for this, I put in about 5 cubes directly from my freezer and used the "crush ice" setting. The pulsing movement seemed to be working fine, but, on about the 4th pulse a big chunk of glass blew out of the side of the jar. Some glass stayed inside the jar, and got shredded on the next pulse, before I could shut it off, damaging the blades. I called KitchenAid Canada and told the rep what had happened, and they replaced the jar and the base; the parts arrived in about a week, and I did not have to send back the damaged parts as proof of loss. This is customer service as it should be!
In short, great blender, fantastic customer service, wear safety goggles if crushing ice!

4.0 out of 5 stars Kitchen Aid blender review, March 5 2011
Bought this blender based on the reviews I read on this and other sites. It landed here at $149 with all taxes and shipping in. It blends fine, seems powerful enough and is fairly quite. We use it daily for smoothies and it will crush ice and frozen fruit without a problem. It cleans easily and over all seems like a decent machine. Time will tell on how durable it is but the construction looks solid. Wanted the stainless color but it cost more and did not seem worth the extra.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well designed, July 6 2013
The base is sturdy, heavy, and it really grips to the counter top

The pitcher unit simply drops onto the base and stays put, so no need to attach it in any way.

I prefer the glass pitcher over other plastic models.

Unlike some blenders, the seal does not leak and it actually crushes ice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great so far, June 4 2013
I've been using this blender daily for the last couple weeks for breakfast smoothies and it has been great. Does a great job of blending whatever fruits and vegetables I've been throwing in there. It leaves minimal to no lumps in the finished smoothie making for an easy drinking breakfast replacement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Function and style, May 3 2013
I had read reviews saying that this machine wasn't working to make super smooth smoothies for people. Wrong, it makes great smoothies. The trick is to use the pulse function or the ice crusher function to really blend everything to perfection. I get a perfect smoothie everytime now in spite of starting with all frozen fruit. Otherwise, that machine is a spiffy addition to my kitchen. I love having small appliances that aren't too ugly to leave on the countertop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice blender, March 3 2013
I bought this blender for its ice crushing capabilities and it works well. Does a good job on protein shakes and soups too. I like the fact that it starts slow and then speeds up. My only critism is that it tens to walk when crushing ice so hang on!

4.0 out of 5 stars Loud but powerful, Jan. 3 2014
We've been using this to make smoothies and the power is awesome! The ice crushing mode works perfect, although I always cringe expecting the glass container to shatter when it starts throwing the cubes around. One of the reasons we chose this over other brands was the fact the container is actual glass and not cheap plastic but I did see one review claiming the glass shattered while crushing ice.

The only negative is the noise it makes and the smell of what I would describe as over-heated oil if you run it for more than a few seconds. I though this would go away in time but so far it hasn't. Otherwise this is a great machine and has the power to liquefy pretty much anything you feel like putting in there!

2.0 out of 5 stars Great blender, shame about the lid!, Oct. 7 2013
I was looking for a sturdy blender that could stand up to a lot of use so I decided to get a classic kitchenaid blender which had been recommended. I make a lot of soup and smoothies (with ice and frozen fruit!) and it blends great, the only downfall is the lid... it leaks! If I don't hold a towel over the top of the blender when I use it I have liquid flying out of it and making a mess! The product descriptions says the "flexible lid will maintain its tight seal" but unfortunately mine leaked from the day I got it. And I am not over filling it, I have tried adjusting the clear plastic ingredient cup in the lid as well but no joy :(

3.0 out of 5 stars Attachment at base a bit awkward, Jan. 30 2013
This review is from: KitchenAid KSB565OB 5-Speed Blender with Glass Jar, Onyx Black (Kitchen)
Overall the blender is fine...does its job. The mechanism to take apart the base and remove blade to wash though is a bit tricky and a source of frustration. It seems to be made a bit flimsily (if that's a word?!) and seems like it's liable to break after a bit of use. We much prefer the Cuisinart we had for so many years however its glass pitcher that broke was no longer being manufactured.

KitchenAid KSB565OB 5-Speed Blender with Glass Jar, Onyx Black