5.0 out of 5 stars Artistic and Entertaining!
Folks love it or hate it.

I think it mainly depends on whether you can appreciate Tarantino's style. If you are expecting to see your ordinary Hollywood movie, chances are you are going to wind up upset, like some of the negative reviews I've read on here.

The movie can, indeed, be quite gruesome. You'll have to be able to see some artistic quality...
Published on Dec 23 2009 by S. Benders

3.0 out of 5 stars Bon Bluray
Bon film, on reconnait bien la griffe de Tarrantino (si vous avez aimez Jacky Brown, Pulp Fiction) n'hésitez pas).
Bonus: Pas mal dans l'ensemble hormis le roundtable ennuyeux, anecdote sur les acteurs de la version originale, agréable.
Published 20 months ago by YoyoDocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, Nov. 11 2012
Ed (North York, Ontario, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inglourious Basterds / Le commando des bâtards (Bilingual Edition) (DVD)
The best Tarantino ever directed. Casting is super with native speakers (French, German and American) playing convincing roles. Christoph Waltz deserved the 2010 Oscar for best supporting actor in his role as SS Colonel Hans Lander, the Jew hunter, security officer and eventual traitor. Brad Pitt is excellent with his southern American drawl.
A must see.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, problem with my purchase, Oct. 18 2012
I absolutely love Inglourious Basterds, and highly recommend it to anyone with an open mind, a sense of humour and an appreciation for amazing cinema. And it looks great in HD.

My only problem is not with the movie but with my purchase. I am interested in viewing this on different devices, which is why I was excited to have a Digital Copy included with my purchase. However, when I insert the Digital Copy disc (disc 2) into my computer, I am told to enter the authorization code I can find on the insert in the case in order to get it. Problem is, there is no insert in my case. I have emailed Universal about this and am currently waiting to hear back. Here's hoping for a quick resolution (fingers crossed!).

Great movie though.

ETA:
I contacted Amazon and Universal, and received a new authorization code. My problem was solved within a matter of hours. Thank you very much.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bon Bluray, Aug. 14 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars You might think Tarantino glorifies violence, but I think that's just the way he expresses his ideas, Jan. 11 2010
Jenny J.J.I. "A New Yorker" (That Lives in Carolinas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I am a huge QT fan so I went expecting a lot from this film. The movie is simply an experience and Tarantino immerses you into this world. I honestly am very surprised that there are so many comments stating this is a bad movie and Tarantino trash. I understand not everyone loves QT but how can you not appreciate the writing and acting in this film. The film, as most of us know by now, is a WWII revenge saga that follows a small unit of Jewish-American soldiers as they wreak violent (and darkly funny) havoc on the German Army. The screenplay is astounding, containing some of the best film dialogue in recent years. The opening scene where SS Col. Hans Landa interrogates a French dairy farmer is among Tarantino's finest work. This single scene is over 20 minutes long and yet the viewer's attention is captured throughout. Tarantino does this again later in the film, with a nearly 30 minute scene in a pub that leads to a sudden, bloody conclusion.

The acting in this movie is top notch. Brad Pitt offers one of his funniest performances in years as a charismatic southern army lieutenant with a knack for carving swastikas into the foreheads of Nazi soldiers. Christoph Walz will surely receive an Oscar nomination for his scene-stealing performance as the ruthless and cunning Col. Landa. Several impressive supporting performances appear as well.

The score (as with Tarantino's other recent films) contains music taken from classic 70's soundtracks. I recognized bits from "White Lightning" and "Kelly's Heroes". There is some good spaghetti western music included as well.

No doubt this was an entertaining film to watch and certainly a unique story and characters which has become a painfully absent commodity in Hollywood for quite a few years now. Only problem I had with the film is it seems to have lost some steam or creative energy in the story development in the second half. Maybe that's just QT bucking the traditional expected story arch, or perhaps he had more in mind for the film originally and had to settle for less and compress for time, I'm not sure. Either way he is exceptionally skilled at bringing what's in his head to life on film, almost to the point where it feels as though I'm not really watching actors in a movie, but being invited into a vivid daydream. Once again I just felt the last third of the film felt a little flat, could have used some more powerful twists than the ones he tossed in seemingly as an afterthought. QT does tend to come off as a bit of a rambler when he's speaking, to say the least, and I think he has all these grand ideas and just has a hard time fitting them all into a 2 hour flick. I'm in no way criticizing the guy's ability to make some of the best films ever, or even this movie which was awesome,

Aside from that, "Inglourious Basterds" is entertaining and one of my favorite Tarantino movies, I'm not too sure it's better then Jackie Brown, not quite as good as Pulp Fiction but a grower in the future to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Tarantino vehicle, July 23 2010
K. Galloway (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
Although not based on facts this movie is really entertaining, as are all of Tarantino's Movies. I don't want to be too specific since that will just spoil it for anyone who is going see it. I can say though that if you enjoy Tarantino you'll enjoy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, a must own!, Feb. 10 2011
This is one of my top 10 movies of all time. Christoph Waltz performance was second to none. A definite must buy for your movie collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Intelligent movie, Jan. 30 2011
Inglorious Basterds is an overall masterpiece. Quite possibly the best fictitious WWII movie ever made. It is very intense and clever all thanks to the dialogue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tarantino's Second Best, Jan. 8 2011
I can't believe how many people are giving this 1 star! I'll spare you my rant and just talk about the movie. This was amazing. Some of the best acting by a cast I've ever seen and especially (needless to say) by Christoph Waltz. When was the last time something this original hit the theatres? It's been a long time and Tarantino is apparently the only guy in Hollywood who still makes stuff like this, complete with artistic merit and all. I absolutely love the Ennio Morricone music, it truly brings the movie to another level. As for the historical revisionism? I loved it. This is not a movie that's trying to claim that it's historically accurate - it's just a movie, and it knows it. It's genius, like Sergio Leone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved The Movie - Bought it on sale for $19.40, April 29 2010
Blue-Ray Fan (Mississauga, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This is an awesome movie which I truly enjoyed when it came out. I decided to wait until the Blu Ray price came down before buying it and thankfully managed to get it on sale for $19.40. Why oh why does Amazon.ca not have the same great prices that Amazon.com has in the states? So many times I get advertising from Amazon.com with great prices and nothing from Amazon.ca. In fact, Amazon is now more expensive than some of the retail chains here in Canada. Come on Amazon.ca, you can do better. The price for this movie has not gone down on Amazon.ca yet I got it on sale here in Canada for a lot less.

In the end we all vote with our feet and so long as this policy continues I will shop for the best price elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christopher Waltz carried this movie, Jan. 29 2010
I really enjoyed this movie. The dialogue was excellent. The first scene kept you spellbound , wondering what was to happen and yet at the same time you kind of knew that the "jew hunter" would get the upper hand. Christopher Waltz was absolutely amazing in his role. He carried this movie. Brad Pitt was the pits. I don't know if he was told to act so poorly or was it his idea to play his part like a buffoon . You could have cut out all of his parts and it wouldn't have affected the movie. You could have had another great unknown playing his part and they would have not made Americans look like "yahoos". I am going to watch this movie again and will move quickly through the parts where the Americans are involved ..way too much over the top.

ARRAY(0xb723f450)

Inglourious Basterds / Le commando des bâtards (Bilingual Edition)
CDN$ 14.99 CDN$ 6.98