5.0 out of 5 stars Blue Rodeo have left nothing behind -- best album in years
Welcome back, boys.

Jim, Greg, Bazil, Glenn, and Bob Egan have returned (what happened to Bob Packwood?) with what may well be their best album since Five Days In July. A double CD and also a double LP, The Things We Leave Behind sounds like the young Blue Rodeo, the Blue Rodeo of the 90's, the Blue Rodeo that gave us those massive monumental songs...
Published on Nov. 13 2009 by LeBrain

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I'm as huge a fan as anyone of this band and my expectations were high for this CD. This may explain in part my disappointment with Blue Rodeo's latest effort. I found not one tune of which I could say: this is a winner, it's catchy and I've got to listen to it time and again. Is it that BR have spread themselves too thin or is it simply that they've been around so long...
Published on March 27 2010 by Claude W. Doucet

5.0 out of 5 stars Blue Rodeo have left nothing behind -- best album in years, Nov. 13 2009
LeBrain - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Welcome back, boys.

I've been a fan of this band since the second album, and I've followed them with loyalty since first seeing them live in '91. Speaking personally I think the band peaked with Five Days (in 1993) and produced two more amazing studio records after that: the very underrated Nowhere To Here and the mellow Tremolo. Since then, there have been good albums, in particular 2002's Palace Of Gold, but nothing that blew me away like the 90's material.

That's all changed. The band has regained some kind of focus on The Things We Leave Behind. 16 songs, and I really can't say for sure that any of them are weak. There's more identity to each song this time, where on some of the previous albums the songs started to just fade together.

With a Blue Rodeo album you always know you're going to get some stellar playing, and indeed there are some spontaneous firecracker solos here as well and lots of great piano and keys. All that means nothing without good songs, and I hope this album does well enough that Blue Rodeo will be playing these songs live for a long time. Psychedelia, 60's rock, balladeering, even Beatles-like moments abound. For some reason I think John Lennon would like this album.

Best songs: Greg Keelor's title track, Jim Cuddy's "Last Light Left In Heaven".

Good work boys, can't wait to see you on the road! Five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 en, Nov. 29 2009
This review is from: The Things We Left Behind-CD (Audio CD)
This double CD is fantastic, cant stop playing it. Been a Blue Rodeo fan for 25 years, have bought every CD, seen every tour and I think this CD is in the top 2 produced. Do yourself a favour and buy it, you wont be disappointed. For seasoned Blue Rodeo fans, the music on this offering is why you fell in love with them in the first place. For new fans, prepare to be floored. Now have to find a turntable as I bought the vinyl too.

Oh, if you havent seen Blue Rodeo live, you are missing one of the best concert experiences ever. Have seen them in stadiums, small venues and recently saw Jim and Greg play alone at a small bar in Halifax to promote this CD. Mindblowing and my best concert experience ever.

Congrats guys!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic!, Nov. 26 2009
The best double record ever recorded by a Canadian band. This is
With out question there finest record since 5 Days in July. After four straight listens
I would have to say that this should be nominated for record of the year!

Stand outs are - Sheba, Things That Are Left Behind, Candice, You Said, When you Wake Up

And the outstanding Venus Rising!

Mark
Toronto

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tunes., Aug. 4 2013
This review is from: The Things We Left Behind-CD (Audio CD)
Another great CD from Blue Rodeo! I bought this shortly after the Greatest Hits CD as needed to have them in my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest Canadian double albums ever?, Nov. 23 2009
A. Brouwer "smiledent" (Sherwood Park, AB Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Things We Left Behind-CD (Audio CD)
This is simply a fantastic recording. This has to rank up as one of the best Canadian albums ever. How Jim and Greg continue to write original material without "sound-like-all-the-other-ones" outcomes is incredible. Congratulations guys. Played it through 3 times complete yesterday......outstanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars ANOTHER THOROUGHBRED IN THE BLUE RODEO STABLE, Jan. 24 2010
Paul S. Power "Music Reviewer" (Nova Scotia, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Things We Left Behind-CD (Audio CD)
As soon as I got this double CD set I put it in the player, but instead of hitting 'start', I accidentally hit the track button and track 2-"One More Night" started. It was a good mistake; the song is a fantastic way to begin the latest musical journey with the band I consider Canada's equivalent to The Beatles. As a band, Blue Rodeo has a perfect duality; for the most part Jim Cuddy brings old style country-rock elements to the mix (thinking of The Eagles on "Never Look Back" and "Arizona Dust") and Greg Keelor brings more of a psychedelic touch, as is evident on "Million Miles", and the incredible song "Venus Rising" could easily fit onto the "Tommy" soundtrack. However, when they come together, the magic can only be described as consummate Blue Rodeo.
What you have here is a collection of 16 songs that are, excuse the cliché-instant classics. At times, it's hard not to think of The Beatles later works, or even Pink Floyd upon hearing "All The Things That Are Left Behind"; this song is atmospheric and grand. On a different note, Jim Cuddy's unique style is defined to a musical 'T' on "One Light Left In Heaven" and "In My Bones".
The truly great thing about Blue Rodeo is that they incorporate musical elements from the 1960's, the 1970's and folk music, yet there is a consistent current running through their music that's like a familiar river. After listening to this collection a number of times, I am thinking more and more that Greg Keelor bears a striking musical resemblance to Roger Waters ("Gossip", "Don't Let The Darkness In Your Head" and especially the song "You Said" bear this out) yet Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young come to mind on hearing "Wasted".
Ultimately, even with the comparisons written above, when the final musical note in this collection resonates and fades out, it's Blue Rodeo that's at centre stage, offering the listener what may very well be the best album of their career. If albums were horses, the guys in the band just added another thoroughbred to the Blue Rodeo stable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Double Album, Jan. 12 2010
B. Larochelle (Edmonton, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Things We Left Behind-CD (Audio CD)
I've been a Blue Rodeo fan for a long time, have quite a few of their albums, and count some of their songs from 'Casino', 'Lost Together' and '5 Days in July' among my favourite of all music. I bought this as soon as it came out. We had tickets to their concert in Edmonton and heard they would be playing a lot of new material. I think this album is their best ever!! It's kind of amazing when a band that's had all the well-deserved accolades and adulation for decades, and who could easily sell out shows and rely on all their past hits, can put out something this fantastic at this stage in their career. Any band would be proud to EVER have an album this good. If you ever liked Blue Rodeo, this is a must-have. If you've never heard of them, this is a must-have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blue Rodeo does it again!, April 23 2010
Garry Gulliver (Mount Pearl,NL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Things We Left Behind-CD (Audio CD)
Typical Blue Rodeo sound and lyrics;some songs immediately jumped out at me after hearing them for the first time but after playing ALL tunes through several times,I realized that each offering is unique and these songs grew on me with repeated listenings!Very enjoyable album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow., Dec 7 2009
M. Piltz (Under the sun in Tampa, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Things We Left Behind-CD (Audio CD)
Easily the best Blue Rodeo album in years. A classic, up there with their best (5 Days In July, Lost Together and Casino). Mixes the best of Blue rodeo with a small helping of The Band. Outstanding stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blue Rodeo - Things we Left Behind CD, Jan. 9 2010
Shreddie (Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Things We Left Behind-CD (Audio CD)
I think this CD is awesome. But then again I love Blue Rodeos music. I bought it to listen to before going to there concert, which by the way was awesome.

ARRAY(0xa33262ac)

The Things We Left Behind-CD
The Things We Left Behind-CD by Blue Rodeo (Audio CD - 2009)