5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Album, even better on LP!
Published on Jan. 6 2010 by Joel Andrews

2.0 out of 5 stars Great album, terrible vinyl and packaging.
One of my favorite albums. Incredibly disappointed to find out that the material used in the packaging bubbles up and warped both LP's!
Published 11 months ago by Jean-Raymond Arcand

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Album, even better on LP!, Jan. 6 2010
Joel Andrews - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I was waiting for this release all year, and the fact that it's on vinyl just put it over the top! I am glad they used extra thick vinyl instead of the flexi disc method. This will ensure that it will last through numerous plays! The sound on the LP is well mastered with a warmth that is usually lacking in today's productions due to too much compression. If you like this band, and have a turntable, then I highly recommend you pick this up while you can!

5.0 out of 5 stars solid r&r cd, Jan. 12 2010
c-mo (sask,canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Them Crooked Vultures (Audio CD)
very good debut,has some sounds of times and bands from the past,zep,doors,beatles,cream.not a total ripoff but has distinct riffage from these classic bands,which works very well.probrably will be one of the best cd`s of the year,the only thing is that they will need to change it up next cd or run the risk of being unoriginal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the Year, Jan. 7 2010
Sacha Zeinali (London, ON CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Them Crooked Vultures (Audio CD)
To me, 2009 was a great year for music. With the new albums by Muse and Wolfmother, I thought that the year just couldn't get any better. Then I heard about Them Crooked Vultures and being a fan of Josh Homme's vocals/guitar and Dave Grohl's drumming I knew I had to check this out.

I wasn't too surprised by the album, but that was because I had ridiculously high expectations. This album is absolutely phenomenal. I listened through it several times on a daily basis and I have yet to get sick of any of the tracks save for Mind Eraser (No Chaser) which I overlistened to in anticipation of this album's release.

Overall, the instrumentation was great and it was a fantastic album overall. The only thing that annoys me is that I'm pretty sure these guys won't return for a second album.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great album, terrible vinyl and packaging., May 15 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Frantic on Steroids!, June 15 2010
J. Doran "Beejayca" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Them Crooked Vultures (Audio CD)
This is actually a great rock album. Unfortunately it's as frantic as a fever dream. Too many ideas are packed into each song making them disjointed and unsettled. You don't get to get into any kind of groove before they change tempos, riffs, direction and even key on you. The players are all top notch of course and they rock like nobody's business. A bit too many plot twists though which kind of detracts from the songs. I still recommend the album but it might take some getting used to.

4.0 out of 5 stars THEM CROOKED VULTURES IS GOOD, Maybe Better than Good...., Nov. 18 2009
This review is from: Them Crooked Vultures (Audio CD)
Them Crooked Vultures: All star band including Dave Grohl, John Paul Jones (Zep), and Joshua Homme (Queens of the Stone Age). When I hear of these "Supergroups", I think of a below average album, small tour, and then you never hear from them again. The future will tell about the longevity of this band, but this supergroup is good!

I wouldn't say it is groundbreaking, but any rock fan can appreciate this album. On the 4th listen now, and it gets better each time.

Overall, sound is raw, not over produced and includes some cool arrangements backed by a powerful rhythm section. A little flavor of the Baltics at the tail end of "Mind Eraser, No Chaser" and few other little subtleties make this album special. Favorite pick is "Scumbag Blues", which is the sum of what would happen if you blended songs by Cream, The Doors, have a member of Led Zep and Dave Grohl to perform on it. Wink Very cool organ riff and little jam session packed into a pretty catchy song.

It actually starts peaking after that song (No. 6). The next one "Bandoliers" includes a killer instrumental part towards the end which just rocks and leads into another massive sounding track "Interlude with Ludes".

Only 1 track that I was not to crazy about was "Caligulove". But hey, how many albums do you buy where there is only 1 song you're not nuts about....

Anyone see them live yet?

4.0 out of 5 stars Them killer riffs!, Nov. 18 2009
LeBrain - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Them Crooked Vultures (Audio CD)
I think the ground shook slightly when word got out that John Paul Jones (Zeppelin bassist and keyboardist) was jamming with Dave Grohl (Nirvana/Queens Of The Stones Age drummer, Foo Fighters singer) and Josh Homme (QOTSA guru). Then we started seeing youtube clips of the band playing...heavy, grooving, riffy. A lot like QOTSA. Dave Grohl cryptically said in the press that it "wouldn't suck".

It doesn't. But you should be a QOTSA fan first. Josh Homme is clearly in the driver's seat here. He sings all leads, and his distinctive voice(s) are something we associate strongly with QOTSA. His slightly off-kilter riffs are tempered by some very Jonesy arrangements and even some Jonesy clavinet. QOTSA sideman (and former Eleven guitarist) Alain Johannes appears in a supporting role as well. So, yes, this is very QOTSA. There are Zeppelin-esque moments on the second half of the album. Dave Grohl smashes his cymbals, like a piledriver hammering out a groove, but doesn't race with his snare as much like he has on Foo and even QOTSA discs before. Again, groove is the key.

Personal favourite tracks:
"No One Loves Me & Neither Do I"
"Dead End Friends"
"Scumbag Blues"
"Gunman"
"Caligulove"

Turn it up and get ready to be blown out of your seats by the sheer heaviness that is Them Crooked Vultures!

For completists, it's worth tracking this down on 180 gram vinyl as it sounds amazing. Also, try to find the two download-only bonus tracks: Live cuts of "No One Loves Me & Neither Do I" and "Gunman" recorded before the album was released.

4 stars.

EDIT FEB 5 2010:
John Paul Jones has announced that Them Crooked Vultures is already discussing album #2 to come out in 2010. Rejoice, rock fans.

EDIT MAY 10 2010:
I just picked up this awesome 10" picture disc single, which was apparently a Record Store Day limited edition. Included on that disc is an awesome new live song called "Hwy 1" which, no kidding, is friggin' great. Just awesome. Check out my review of the picture disc for more details.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh and antiformulaic, March 23 2010
Clear Daze (Victoria, B.C Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Them Crooked Vultures (Audio CD)
I am beginning to think that albums which require several listens in order to get into are the ones that are most rewarding. Quick fix pop albums stun quickly but die fast. This is not the case with this very strong, unique and non-formula piece of work. I went into it with no knowledge of Grohl's Foo Fighters stuff or Homme's Queens of the Stone Age material. I bought it because I respect and admire John Paul Jones' immense contribution to Rock and Roll and especially in bass playing. What I found was not a retred Zeppelin mash, although there are allusions to Cream and The Doors. Despite this, the album is a jarring and at times a pleasantly abrasive album which offers some of the most unique arrangements I have heard in years. Grohl's drumming is excellent, JPJ is great (although a little more clarity in the bass would help) and Homme is a very creative and exciting singer and songwriter. His voice is pleasant to listen to-I am glad there is no screaming. For the most part, the more I listen, the more I really like. Choice cuts for me are Elephants, Scumbag Blues and Bandoliers. Enjoy this journey worth taking!

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as the sum of its parts, March 18 2010
Lawrence G. S. Williams (Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Them Crooked Vultures (Audio CD)
I have to admit, I was seriously disappointed with this record the first time I spun it. News of this group's formation had me, and many others, expecting absolutely amazing music. I suppose these high expectations may have influenced my initial reaction.

Upon first listening, all I heard was a Queens Of The Stone Age record. It was a decent Queens record, but still, I was expecting true greatness.

However, on countless plays since, I can no longer say that this album strikes me as a write-off Queens record. Each and every song has its own intricacies that make them all essential listening. The tracklist is extremely diverse, with a variety of tempos and atmospheres throughout.

As to the actual sound of the record, I think my girlfriend summed it up nicely when she happened to catch a snippet of their music and said "They kind of sound like The Beatles". After thinking about it, I would have to agree.

I'm not saying that Homme has tried to change his tones to match the rock legends or anything like that. The songs themselves feature a variety of complex harmonies and stellar instrumentation, the likes of which harken back to the innovators of the 60's rock scene.

Overall, this record presents a very unique collection of rock songs from three men who know a little bit about the genre. It wouldn't be out of place in the collections of 60's/70's rock purists or in the collections of 90's/00's alternative rock fans. Hell, even if all you want is a worthy follow-up effort to Queens' Songs For The Deaf, this record will hit home. It is easily one of the best supergroup efforts in the history of rock music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grows on you, Nov. 25 2010
First time I played it I didn't like it
Second time, I liked it somewhat
Now I love it!! Can't get enough!

ARRAY(0xc1f673a8)

Them Crooked Vultures
Them Crooked Vultures by Them Crooked Vultures (Audio CD - 2009)