5.0 out of 5 stars Enhancing the Original
There's a couple of new CGI sequences that replace traditional animation of the original Ghost in the Shell (GITS), mostly at the beginning. I found these unncessary, but the updates to vehicles and buildings are fantastic. One of the helicopters looks like a hammer-head shark!

Published on Feb. 6 2010 by J. B. Teakle

1.0 out of 5 stars shame to 3D animation
Ok, it might be a question a test but they swapped the magnificent animation for 3D effects and it really sucks. I don't want to see a trailer for a video game and in this case, that's what you get. This anime was breath taking when released back in the 90's and I was hoping modern digital technology would enhance the good part of it...well, nope, it just served as a...
Published on April 16 2012 by jc

5.0 out of 5 stars Enhancing the Original, Feb. 6 2010
J. B. Teakle - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost in the Shell 2.0 (DVD)

My favourite feature of GITS 2.0 is the updated sound effects. Guns, vehicles, blasts: all sound more realistic and varied. I was surprised how much more I enjoyed the movie just because of the new sound mix.

Not normally a fan of "special editions"; remember the awful new English dub for the Akira DVD release? I don't imagine The GITS 2.0 edition will upset die-hard fans of the original, but don't get rid of your "1.0" copy by any means.

4.0 out of 5 stars New and Old, June 26 2012
What most other reviewers have left out is that this bluray comes with both the cgi added version and the original version.

The only disappointment I had with this bluray is that both movies were not remastered to a clear 1080p picture (where as all other anime bluray movies I have purchased are remastered) and the original version audio is only in stereo.

If you already have a dvd copy, then this bluray might not be for you. If you don't already own this movie, it is a great movie and definitely worth owning (but watch the original version first).

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, Nov. 27 2012
This gets 4 stars for just the original Ghost in Shell. The 2.0 version is alright. But I still prefer the original.

4.0 out of 5 stars All things being equal, I would stay with the original version., Feb. 17 2010
A. Kydd (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
I think that George Lucas demonstrated best that digitally altering films made long ago to make them 'better' generally fails (excluding THX 1138 as those improvements genuinely improved the story and appearance of the film).
The upgraded CGI in the film is neither here nor there in value. Another reviewer commented on the improved renditions of vehicles in the film, but I don't really find that it brings enough to the table to justify these digital modifications.
In the end, I feel that they actually didn't do nearly enough which is what makes these supposed improvements so lack-luster. Quite genuinely, they failed from lack of effort than anything.

Ghost In The Shell is definitely a classic Anime film and will always have a special place in my collection, but, next time I dig it out to watch, I'll more than likely pull out the copy I've owned for years already.

5.0 out of 5 stars anime, April 12 2014
This is the show that got me started in anime. Now I finally have my own copy to watch whenever I want. A great addition to my collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good purchase, March 6 2014
decently remastered. only quam is that even though it does come with the original movie, it runs at maybe dvd resolution.

5.0 out of 5 stars parfait, May 17 2013
Tout était parfait encore une fois.
LE BD est arrivé dans les meilleurs délais et en parfaite état.

Merci beaucoup

5.0 out of 5 stars satisfaction, July 19 2012
Martin Dupuis - See all my reviews
Satisfaction entiere delais d'expedition et de livraison tres rapide et un prix tres avantageux. je recommande a tout le monde

4.0 out of 5 stars But the 3d added to the movie is not good quality abd seems out of place, Nov. 23 2014
Quick delivery. But the 3d added to the movie is not good quality abd seems out of place. I prefer the original.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very watchable, Sept. 26 2014
Not as good as original but still great

Ghost in the Shell 2.0
Ghost in the Shell 2.0 by Mamoru Oshii (DVD - 2010)
CDN$ 16.98 CDN$ 13.83