5.0 out of 5 stars "I'm glad they did this film"
Published on Dec 25 2009 by Tommy Skylar

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok
Songs are good. Almost all mtvs were rehearsal.

Dvd is enough. Not really blue ray quality. Just listen to the songs.
Published on Nov. 12 2012 by Jazz Joe

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars "I'm glad they did this film", Dec 25 2009
Tommy Skylar (The Great White North) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
When Michael Jackson died on June 25th 2009 it seems a part of the world died with him. It made many people sad all over the world and it seems that for once everyone was being nice to this man who had always been abused by the Medias; journalists, interviewers and others. When I heard of the "This Is It" movie concert I didn't know what to think. I knew it was rehearsal footage from the 50 concerts he was to perform at the O2 arena but I didn't know what was going to come out of it or what they were going to do with it. When I saw the trailers I knew I had to see this and that "This Is It" was going to be something special like I've never seen. And that's precisely what I got, I even bought my ticket in advance for the movie and feel like it was much worth it.

It amazed me how good MJ still was, the dance moves were great and fascinating to me. He was clearly the one in charge of the whole thing. He gave precise instructions of what he wanted, made sure everything was right and did everything that needed to be done. The film shows just how much Michael was respected, there were parts of it where they asked him if he wanted anything or what he thought and if he liked something, it seems no one assumed anything at all. When he talked the crew would listen and he asked things in the nicest way, never to hurt anyone. There's not a part that doesn't make him look like the nice guy he always was. There are mixed feelings about him after all the bad things that have been said about him but after watching this I don't know one could possibly believe them.

To be honest I loved every minute of it, every song was special and was great to watch. Right from the beginning of "Wanna Be Startin'Somethin'" it was amazing. No matter how many people surround him he's always the one who does things better than anyone else and the one you're watching. This Is It was really a unique experience, I felt they chose the right footage parts for the movie and made him look great in every sense. They could truly have messed things up but they didn't and came out with an amazing documentary, it's sort of a testament to his fans, it's just very special. I really liked the Thriller 3D part, it was a 3D video shoot and afterwards you see MJ coming out onstage from a spider, the show would have looked awesome. They Don't Care About Us was amazing, The Smooth Criminal part was very interesting, so was the Earth Song which had a beautiful video of a little girl in a forest, waking up to see that all of it has been destroyed. I won't go further but every song had something about them.

The stage show would have been grandiose, the fireworks, the "fireball" (quite impressive I won't spoil anything), pyrotechnics, the videos that accompany the songs are all very impressive. This could very well have been the best show ever had he lived to perform them. In the end I was quite amazed by the 1: 48 minutes I watched, I can't wait to see it again and the message Michael gives at the end is very inspiring. From the auditions of the brilliant performers to the credits with the "This Is It" song I was captivated.

The said special features will feature more of the rehearsal and a two part documentary on Michael's history and his comeback along behind the scenes. I can't wait to see more of the rehearsal and hopefully the extras will be great and there will plenty to watch.

It's hard for me to describe what watching this movie was like and what I felt about it. I know this is rehearsal footage but it's truly brilliant and while it main not catch Michael at his best it certainly catches him at his most honest. I don't have anything bad to say about either this movie or the man himself, This Is It is a must see. It doesn't matter if you watch in its theatrical run or on DVD/Blue Ray when released, this is amazing and his fans just have to see this. I will certainly be amongst those who buy it and watch it over and over again. This man gave his life to music and his fans and I don't remember where I heard or read this but I do remember that someone said: "He was a gift of god, he was a kind human being who's been mistreated by many opportunists, he's been taken advantage of but he was the nicest person and could never harm anyone" or sometime like that. These words are very truthful and really mean something to his fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent......MJ...gave 200 percent+++ RIP, Dec 2 2009
Mary Nowak (Winnipeg, Canada) - See all my reviews
At 50 Michael still had it....The dancing, the special effects, amazing..
I'm totally impressed with the film..
I have never in my life been or seen Michael Jackson in concert...
He's kind and soft spoken and never angry or upset...a Perfectionist at his best.
If you weren't a fan, you definitely will be...
A must see film...
Michael Jackson will be truly missed by family, friends and the world of fans and children of the world...RIP.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have!, Jan. 27 2010
When I heard this film was coming out, I was skeptical. I thought it was just going to be another way for everyone involved to cash in - lots of flash and little substance. I was COMPLETELY wrong.

I first saw this film in the theatre, on the big screen (the way is should be seen - and I hope down the road they re-release it that way). You could have heard a pin drop. I think everyone was as agape as I was. Through all Michael's social oddities and court cases and facial surgeries I had forgotten what an incredible, incredible talent he was. Being gone from music so long, all that hoopla overshadowed his true, raw talent. This film brought what really mattered back into the spotlight. Michael's music may not be to everyone's taste but there's no denying that, talent-wise, no one could touch him.

Thank goodness someone had the presence of mind to record these hours and hours of rehearsals. It's an exciting and perfect legacy to the man. Bravo!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The more I know about MJ, the more he touches me and the more I like him, Feb. 4 2010
This review is from: Michael Jackson: This Is It [Blu-ray] (Sous-titres français) (Blu-ray)
Although "This is it" captures footages during rehearsal to prepare for the concert, MJ's dance and singing was s excellent as "Bad", "Dangerous", and "History. I have known about MJ when I was living in Hong Kong since I was 10 as we are the same age. I have always liked his music but I never had the interest to buy his CDs. Up till has death, I listened to MJ's music only when the radio station I was listening played his music. Now I listened to his music and watch his music video everyday at home and whenrver I am driving. I learned about MJ's death from the radio when I was driving from work to home. When I heard about this sad and shocking news, I did not known why I could not hold back my tears. From then on, I became "addicted" to his music and music videos.
I watched "This is it" movie 12 times in Vancouver in North America and Hong Kong in Asia. I could not wait to buy "This is it" in blue-ray DVD since November 2009. In fact, I bought a 46" HD TV and a blue-ray DVD player in December so I can watch this DVD in HD.
I now have the procession most of MJ's CDs and music videos. In my opinion, "This is it" is the best as I now know him the special features it not I know more about MJ as an artist and a person from the special features. Influenced by "Man in the Mirror" and "Earth Song", I now take more actions on environmental issues. His songs make me realize that "it is us" who are responsible to protect our earth for our children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the blu-ray, Feb. 10 2010
Cheryl - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This is a great documentary of what could have been an amazing concert. With its blend of various rehearsal footage, the intent of the production staging is clear and very enjoyable. As seen here, Michael Jackson is easily in fine form both physically and vocally, and This Is It looks great on blu-ray. In addition to the numerous wonderful dvd extras, the exclusive blu-ray features amount to an extra 30min. and include two short vignettes on Thriller and Smooth Criminal, each designed to be video lead-ins prior to the song performances of the concert. Also, the making of Smooth Criminal is very engaging for those interested in this behind-the-scenes film-making process. Overall, this filmed chronicle gives a very good view of the incredible amount of time, effort and funding invested in the concert that should have been.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent documentary, Dec 29 2009
Husband and I have seen the movie. It was such a rich experience that we want to have the Blu-Ray DVD of this to watch it over again and again. Worth every $ it will cost.

4.0 out of 5 stars Glad they released this one., Jan. 16 2011
Really wish we had a full complete dress rehearsal of this concert with a second disc of the behind the scenes footage but at least we've got this to enjoy. Shows him as a very humble and quiet man even when he's trying to get his musical point across to the musicians and director. We see him dressed in his street clothes during the weeks of footage and he defintely made some strange choices with the creepy pointed shoulder jacket. None of the songs are done full out by Michael and some of the vocals are spoken or gently sung mostly for timing purposes but that's what you get during rehearsal and he was at 50 years of age working his way into shape for the shows. Over all a wonderful historical film showing us what the finished product might have been. Had to feel sorry though for the dozens of hard working dancers/musicians/technicians of this show who thought they were going to have at least 50 performances with Michael.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real-life thriller, May 13 2010
Kona (Emerald City) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The rehearsals of Michael Jackson's last tour were filmed and provide a stunning look at a superstar entertainer and consummate professional at work. We see him sing and dance many songs along with the special effects that contributed so much to the dynamic show. The film itself is more home movie than documentary; comments from the show staff come later in the extras.

I hadn't followed Jackson's life for years and assumed he was past his prime, but this film completely changed my opinion. I was mesmerized by his energy and stamina, his gracefulness and power, and his absolute knowledge of what was right for the show. He looked to be in the best shape of his life and happy to be mounting his last tour. Fans of Michael Jackson will certainly enjoy this last monument to his considerable talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth seeing, March 22 2010
I wasn't sure what to expect with this DVD but, if anything, it reminded me once again of Michael's brilliance. He knew exactly what he wanted in the concert - whether songs, staging or all the other things that go into the making of a hit show. I only wish I could have seen it actually performed, but that was not to be. I highly recommend this DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars The King at His work, March 1 2010
Arry Longin - See all my reviews
It your were wondering if MJ still got it. This movie show U that NOT. HE DIDN'T LOOSe NOTHING!!! He is The KING OF POP and he shows it AGAIN!! Even Celine Dion now doing the same Movie of her Show. Even after his death Michael still show the way to Pop Culture. Long live the King of POP Michael Joseph Jackson.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Michael Jackson: This Is It [Blu-ray] (Sous-titres français)
CDN$ 14.99 CDN$ 9.49