5.0 out of 5 stars This Machine Has Made Life Easier For My Family
We live in an apartment where the washing machines usually do not operate at all, and if they do clothes are not cleaned or rinsed properly. We also have a 3 month old baby girl and a dog so there is a lot of laundry to be done.

Published on July 17 2012 by MamaKitu

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad guy
This washer does its work but I wouldn't say as good as I hoped in the beginning. It never works with 3kg load and even with 2 kg it shakes terribly.

It broke after 3 months of work. Currently waiting for Haier to repair/replace it. I guess you can use it as not many alternatives. But not a Bosch quality of course.

"UPDATE"

Changed from 3...
Published 22 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars This Machine Has Made Life Easier For My Family, July 17 2012
This review is from: Haier HLP21N Pulsator 1-Cubic-Foot Portable Washer (Kitchen)

We tried to do laundry by hand but that system did not work. Clothes were clean but it took too much time and work. After much thought and budgeting we found out about this washing machine. We read lots and lots and LOTS of reviews.

If you want more reviews to read the amazon.com site sells the same product and has much more feedback than on amazon.ca.

So to cut to the chase - here's the info you really want.

-- It arrived quickly and in perfect condition.
-- It was put together with no problems and was spinning our first load within 30 mins of arriving at our door.
-- We have used all the settings - all functioning normally.
-- Examples of loads -- 15 adult T shirts -- 4 queen sized bedsheets -- 2 big house coats/dressing gowns -- 2 big towels+a bunch of little towels/dish cloths. I am working my way to doing big blankets - which I will do one at a time.
-- As others have commented there is a bit of lint sometimes but I just have to shake the clothes to get it off - not a problem.

Here's some advice about doing the laundry in this machine and drying:

-- Start with really small loads and then work your way up.
-- Don't run the machine and then go out - in the unlikely event something bad happens you don't wanna be out when it does
-- Buy a drying rack!
-- Put everything on a hanger to dry that you can, it makes putting away the dry laundry SO easy! Especially great for shirts. My husband works out a lot so there are many shirts and shorts to wash.
-- Don't save up all your laundry to do in one big lump, do it every day or two to keep a mountain from forming.
-- You can dry big bed sheets in the bathroom easily using coat hangers than have clips on them (like the ones that come with pants in the store) I use 2-4 of the clippy coat hangers per big sheet and then hang them off the shower curtain rail.

One final note: We have only had the washing machine for a couple of weeks. If any problems develop I will come back and update this review. I was grateful for the detailed comments and reviews that I read before purchasing so will try to do the same.

Thanks for reading and Happy Laundry Day!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Efficient, Jan. 11 2013
R. Mark Wainman (Sackville, NB Canada) - See all my reviews
Ordered this item from Amazon.ca on a Thursday evening, shipped on a Friday and walked to my apartment door on the Tuesday. Within minutes I had a load of laundry on.

Super efficient washer in terms of space, power usage rating and time. Three wash settings, and an excellent spin cycle make this the perfect washer for an apartment. I dry all my clothes (even heavy towels) on a drying rack, as the spin cycle does such a great job.

Worried about drum size? 1 cubic foot does two bath towels, or 10-15 t-shirts, or a pair of jeans and 4-6 t-shirts, etc. A tiny shot of detergent does the trick. The cycle takes maybe 20 minutes.

I also put a strainer in my sink to see what is being sent down my standard kitchen sink drain, and the lint is minimal. I have had no issues with lint on the clothes after a wash.

Another efficiency with this product is the noise level...it is very quiet. I can watch TV or stand over this machine while on the phone, without issue. The spin cycle is the loudest of course, but the machine does not shake on the floor, and the cycle lasts seconds. Should you be in an apartment above someone else, this unit should go unnoticed by your southern neighbours.

Overall, absolutely 5 star rating. I have washed blankets, towels, shirts, socks, jeans, dress pants and shirts and I have had no issue. And of course the water temperature is set manually by you with your taps - and that adds even more potential to the machine. I usually only use cold water, but it's great to know the option is there.

If you're living alone, or maybe with one other person, this unit will serve you well...buy yourself a drying rack at a department store and you're set (Or I suppose you could look at the portable dryers but I did not go that route and I'm happy with that decision). STOP THROWING MONEY INTO LAUNDRY MACHINES...you need your quarters for parking and Mike and Ike's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small machine saves me time, March 12 2012
Brian Graham (Kitchener-Waterloo) - See all my reviews
This Haier washing machine arrived weeks ago and I have been using it a few times a week ever since. Towels should be put in regular sized machines that rinse better, capture lint, and scrub the dirt out. If a load is heavy it won't move around very well and will strain the motor. Small towels require a quick second wash with vinegar to help remove soap. Otherwise, they dry stiff and scratchy. Clothes that are soiled need to be pre-soaked as you would for a larger machine. Alternatively, let the machine fill upfirst wit hsoap added, Place clothes in the tub and leave the lid open for an hour or so. Then close the lid and wash away.

Mine stopped for a few minutes once while washing two pairs of jeans. Okay, one pair at a time now with socks.

Separate lint free synthetics items from cottons.

Every item is merely damp dry when washed so it does not take long to dry on hangers indoors in the winter.

The water is swished back and forth so that clothes swirl around the tub. Big machines use an agitator to give clothes a real workout.

This machine is excellent for washing dresses and lingerie.

Over al lit seems like a good investment. I wish there was a lint trap in the machine to reduce the amount of fibres collecting on clothes.

Use just enough laundry soap to cause foam and clean. Never, ever use as much soap as detergent manufacturers recommend on boxes and bottles. They always recommend far more than is requred so that you will need to buy soap more often.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad guy, Sept. 28 2012

"UPDATE"

Changed from 3 to 1 star. Specialist who came to repair it said he doesn't know how to disassemble the washer, although I told Haier the exact model of it. He said that some internal hinges broke but he can't replace them. Then he spend some 30 minutes talking via phone to some "experts" and glued hinges somehow.

Now the washer works worse and has water leak. Haier refunds only half of the washer's price even if it is defective - that what the repair guy told me. I am frustrated as you can imagine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product for an apartment, Sept. 5 2012
I bought this machine from a local supplier. I was able to find it cheaper in Toronto (Pacific Mall) then then to buy on amazon after tax and shipping was added in.

I absolutely love this machine. After moving from a one bedroom with an in-suite washer and dryer system, to a two bedroom with a public coin operated laundry room I began searching for an alternative. Coin laundry is expensive! And with a new baby on the way, that we plan to cloth diaper I really wanted an alternative. After using the machine consistently for about a month I can say that it was a very smart buy.

-PROS-
* Very easy to hook up and unhook (we use ours with the bathroom sink and drain it into the tub)
* Cleans clothes really well
* Fits easily into the closet when not in use
* Has rolling castors so it's easy to move around
* Lots of different wash cycles and water levels
* Able to select just the rinse or spin cycle
* Long hoses and power cord
* Easy to "assemble"
* The quick sink adaptor is awesome
* No plumbing knowledge necessary, at all
* Powerful spin cycle that gets out lots of water
* Uses VERY LITTLE laundry detergent
* Energy efficient and conservative with water use
* Good sized wash tub, I can wash a good amount of clothes at once
* Easy to operate (I can even get my husband to use it!)
* Beeps when there is an error in the cycle or when the machine is done
* Turns itself off when done so power is not wasted

-CONS-
* Heavy, you'll need two people to unpack this thing but once it's on wheels it's a cinch to move around
* Instructions / "Assembly" directions are somewhat vague in areas (for instance, in my instructions is said nothing about the quick sink adaptor having a part that stays attached to your sink, so that you can just clip on and clip of the hose. For the first week we were screwing on and off the entire thing with a wrench, although that only took a minute, the way it is supposed to be used is so much better.)
* The floor plate (the only assembly you really need to do) does not line up well with the screw holes. This was a big pain in the butt and we were only able to get 80% of the screws in, in the end
* Spin cycle easily gets off balance. This means the machine will eventually "time out" because it cannot complete the spins. To combat this loads of clothes with similar weight is recommended (i.e.- heavies like towels), and you may still need to redistribute the weight of the items in the barrel from time to time.
* Loud spin cycle. This does not bother me but it certainly is not "quiet" as advertised. It's not deafening; I liken it to the loudness of a full-sized washer.

Over-all this is a convenient, money saving machine. We worked out that not paying for the coin-operated wash, and factoring in hydro that the portable washer would pay for itself in about 6 months. It will be even faster when the baby is born and we are washing a load of diapers every day. I'm very happy with the product and recommend it to anyone looking for a portable washer.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, May 13 2013
Great for one person in an apartment - no issues - the only advice I would give is: watch your load sizes, the larger the load the noiser the spin. I love the fact that it's so flexible in cycle choices and water levels - for a little machine it sure works hard.

Love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Quiet and stable, Dec 10 2012
Ah Ben (Ontario, CA) - See all my reviews
We were looking for a small one for underwear and small loads. This one fits well and the price was good:)

3.0 out of 5 stars Too small even for a small load, Oct. 4 2012
I bought this for my apartment and chose the small size of 1 ft^3 instead of one of the 1.5-2 ft^3 and it was a big mistake. Even with a small load you often have to re-adjust the load to finish the wash cycle every single time, no matter the load size.

Overall it works pretty well, but it just could be a lot better and more stable on it's feet. The agitator is always on such a high setting and you cannot fix that, there should be an option to run the agitator lower (a gentle wash) for the delicates as it has ruined some of mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little washer, Aug. 22 2012
Purchased this washer for my daughter to use while away to College. There was no laundry facilities in the apartment building she was renting in. It is so convenient and works great - an awesome product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Haier HLP21N Pulsator 1-Cubic-Foot Portable Washer very convinient, June 20 2012
Excellent for a small apartment, good quality, not noisy at all.
recommended 100%.
Works fine and the spin is very strong so you dont have to worry about
drying.
I think is also ECO friendly, and very simple to use.

Haier HLP21N Pulsator 1-Cubic-Foot Portable Washer