5.0 out of 5 stars Great for making protein shake smoothies
I bought this because I had a 20 year old giant blender and I was annoyed at how long it took to clean it. So I bought this because it was inexpensive and small. I had a few worries when I ordered it, namely if it was going to be TOO small and if it would be powerful enough to blend ice. Well it passed all my tests and
it blends perfectly! Because it has a nice...
Published on March 7 2011 by AWBabin

3.0 out of 5 stars Not powerful enough to blend frozen fruit
Published on Oct. 10 2012 by Leah

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for making protein shake smoothies, March 7 2011
This review is from: Hamilton Beach 51103C Single-Serve Blender with Travel Lid (Kitchen)
it blends perfectly! Because it has a nice travel lid you can pop the container off and drink it without having to dirty another glass. It's also easy to clean because of it's small size. Here is what I use:

-150ml skim milk
-1 scoop whey protein powder
-1 banana (chopped)
-6 strawberries (frozen)
-25 blueberries
-7 large ice cubes

This fills the container almost to the top.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little smoothie maker!, Aug. 28 2012
This single serve blender with a built in 'to-go' sipping cup exceeded my lower expectations. I've had large blenders that couldn't get through the contents, but this little one did just a great job. My first smoothie made was (in order) a handful of frozen blueberries, a glug of milk, a couple of tablespoons of yogurt, sprinkles of crushed flax seed, half a banana and 3 large ice cubes. It did the job beautifully.

My recommendations from some other general reviews are:

1) If using large, hard ice cubes, put them in after liquids (which is common sense). My ice was no problem at all to pulverize quickly.

2) Don't take a chance in burning out the unit by keeping the power button on continually. This item is meant and made to accomodate quick pulses, and it took well only under a minute to pulse the above smoothie with large, hard ice cubes.

3) I recommend hand washing the travel sipping lid versus throwing it in the dishwasher, so it doesn't get wonky, cracked or shrunken, which might cause problems with leakage later and the purpose of a 'to-go' cup.

4) After a shake or smoothie, just give the container and lid a quick warm rinse and swish. It's very easy to wash afterwards this way and ready to go for the next one.

I am very happy with this purchase and it makes drinking healthy smoothies and shakes every day a breeze. It's also not a monster to store.

Love it and is good value!

I'd definitely purchase again.

5.0 out of 5 stars great big little blender, Jan. 13 2012
recently broke my magic bullet, and replaced temporarily with this! I think I'll use this more now as it breaks up frozen spinach nuggets for my smoothies much better, also very handy to just take the cup you mixed it in, and go. Easy to clean, it's a big/wide cup, but works well for what I use it for. Fairly quiet too for a blender! Definitely suggest it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not powerful enough to blend frozen fruit, Oct. 10 2012
I was really disappointed that this blender didn't suit my needs, because I had read so many great reviews. For a small, low power single-serve blender, I suppose this is a fine product. However, I always use frozen fruit in my smoothies and this product was not up to the task. After many attempts, the strawberries would still be almost completely whole. I even tried putting in only one or two berries in at a time, and (a) it still wasn't blending it smooth, and (b) that process was then taking so much longer than it normally would in a regular-sized blender that the quick efficiency of a small blender lost all its value. Unfortunately I had to return this product.

If you only make smoothies with soft or liquid items, it seems from other reviews that this will work for you. Otherwise save up for a machine with more power.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, a little small though..., Sept. 13 2013
Product delivers but is a little on the small side for me, personally. Should have ordered a larger blender. Love it doe!

1.0 out of 5 stars Breaks down easily, June 26 2014
I ordered is product initially and it worked well for a few months. I noticed that it would get extremely hot at the bottom but didn't think to much about it. One day after blending for about 2 mins it overheated and would no longer start up. I liked the product in general because of its small size and convenience so I ordered another one. My second one broke the second time I ever used it, maybe for a duration of 1.5 mins. This time I had no idea that it might have overheated, did not seem like it at least. Breaking down this easy is a big problem, and returning the product for a new one is a major hassle.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, Jan. 3 2013
Bought this as a gift for someone who loves smoothies. Motor/blade not strong enough to blend frozen fruit. Worst part is that the third time using it, the button jammed and broke. Guess you get what you pay for. Would NOT recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, June 25 2013
it has worked great for me for almost a year now. use it at least four times a week and its still going. great purchase

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for travel!, June 22 2013
I travel alot and i needed a blender small enough to travel with to make my meal replacement every day.

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it, it's small, Aug. 21 2014
I like it, it's small, its easy to clean and has quite a but of power for the size. As long as you don't have unrealistic goals for this it is a wonderful buy. My only complaint is that is smells a bit smoky when I use it too much at once, HOWEVER I did buy it used so all in all I recommend it.

Hamilton Beach 51103C Single-Serve Blender with Travel Lid