5.0 out of 5 stars Great for making protein shake smoothies
I bought this because I had a 20 year old giant blender and I was annoyed at how long it took to clean it. So I bought this because it was inexpensive and small. I had a few worries when I ordered it, namely if it was going to be TOO small and if it would be powerful enough to blend ice. Well it passed all my tests and
it blends perfectly! Because it has a nice...
Published on March 7 2011 by AWBabin

3.0 out of 5 stars Not powerful enough to blend frozen fruit
Published 21 months ago by Leah

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for making protein shake smoothies, March 7 2011
This review is from: Hamilton Beach 51103C Single-Serve Blender with Travel Lid (Kitchen)
it blends perfectly! Because it has a nice travel lid you can pop the container off and drink it without having to dirty another glass. It's also easy to clean because of it's small size. Here is what I use:

-150ml skim milk
-1 scoop whey protein powder
-1 banana (chopped)
-6 strawberries (frozen)
-25 blueberries
-7 large ice cubes

This fills the container almost to the top.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little smoothie maker!, Aug. 28 2012
This single serve blender with a built in 'to-go' sipping cup exceeded my lower expectations. I've had large blenders that couldn't get through the contents, but this little one did just a great job. My first smoothie made was (in order) a handful of frozen blueberries, a glug of milk, a couple of tablespoons of yogurt, sprinkles of crushed flax seed, half a banana and 3 large ice cubes. It did the job beautifully.

My recommendations from some other general reviews are:

1) If using large, hard ice cubes, put them in after liquids (which is common sense). My ice was no problem at all to pulverize quickly.

2) Don't take a chance in burning out the unit by keeping the power button on continually. This item is meant and made to accomodate quick pulses, and it took well only under a minute to pulse the above smoothie with large, hard ice cubes.

3) I recommend hand washing the travel sipping lid versus throwing it in the dishwasher, so it doesn't get wonky, cracked or shrunken, which might cause problems with leakage later and the purpose of a 'to-go' cup.

4) After a shake or smoothie, just give the container and lid a quick warm rinse and swish. It's very easy to wash afterwards this way and ready to go for the next one.

I am very happy with this purchase and it makes drinking healthy smoothies and shakes every day a breeze. It's also not a monster to store.

Love it and is good value!

I'd definitely purchase again.

5.0 out of 5 stars great big little blender, Jan. 13 2012
Maggie Kennedy - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
recently broke my magic bullet, and replaced temporarily with this! I think I'll use this more now as it breaks up frozen spinach nuggets for my smoothies much better, also very handy to just take the cup you mixed it in, and go. Easy to clean, it's a big/wide cup, but works well for what I use it for. Fairly quiet too for a blender! Definitely suggest it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not powerful enough to blend frozen fruit, Oct. 10 2012
I was really disappointed that this blender didn't suit my needs, because I had read so many great reviews. For a small, low power single-serve blender, I suppose this is a fine product. However, I always use frozen fruit in my smoothies and this product was not up to the task. After many attempts, the strawberries would still be almost completely whole. I even tried putting in only one or two berries in at a time, and (a) it still wasn't blending it smooth, and (b) that process was then taking so much longer than it normally would in a regular-sized blender that the quick efficiency of a small blender lost all its value. Unfortunately I had to return this product.

If you only make smoothies with soft or liquid items, it seems from other reviews that this will work for you. Otherwise save up for a machine with more power.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, a little small though..., Sept. 13 2013
Product delivers but is a little on the small side for me, personally. Should have ordered a larger blender. Love it doe!

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, June 25 2013
it has worked great for me for almost a year now. use it at least four times a week and its still going. great purchase

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for travel!, June 22 2013
I travel alot and i needed a blender small enough to travel with to make my meal replacement every day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great smoothies!!, June 26 2013
This is a wonderful portable blender. I have only used SOFT foods in it, NO ICE, but its quite good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Convenient and space saver in a small kitchen, June 13 2013
Pierre K McKenty "Inuksuk" (Iqaluit, Nunavut, Canada) - See all my reviews
I can prepare my diet smoothies everywhere. Convenient and space saver in a small kitchen. Also travel well in a registered luggage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what you want, June 6 2013
Does exactly what you want and is easy to clean. The blades aren't overly sharp so you can stick a sponge down to the bottom without worrying about cutting yourself. Good portion size, have had mine for a year and is one of the best $20 purchases I have made.

Hamilton Beach 51103C Single-Serve Blender with Travel Lid