5.0 out of 5 stars Great little smoothie maker!
Published on Aug. 28 2012 by HappyBirthdayToMe

3.0 out of 5 stars Not powerful enough to blend frozen fruit
Published on Oct. 10 2012 by Leah

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little smoothie maker!, Aug. 28 2012
This review is from: Hamilton Beach 51103C Single-Serve Blender with Travel Lid (Kitchen)
This single serve blender with a built in 'to-go' sipping cup exceeded my lower expectations. I've had large blenders that couldn't get through the contents, but this little one did just a great job. My first smoothie made was (in order) a handful of frozen blueberries, a glug of milk, a couple of tablespoons of yogurt, sprinkles of crushed flax seed, half a banana and 3 large ice cubes. It did the job beautifully.

My recommendations from some other general reviews are:

1) If using large, hard ice cubes, put them in after liquids (which is common sense). My ice was no problem at all to pulverize quickly.

2) Don't take a chance in burning out the unit by keeping the power button on continually. This item is meant and made to accomodate quick pulses, and it took well only under a minute to pulse the above smoothie with large, hard ice cubes.

3) I recommend hand washing the travel sipping lid versus throwing it in the dishwasher, so it doesn't get wonky, cracked or shrunken, which might cause problems with leakage later and the purpose of a 'to-go' cup.

4) After a shake or smoothie, just give the container and lid a quick warm rinse and swish. It's very easy to wash afterwards this way and ready to go for the next one.

I am very happy with this purchase and it makes drinking healthy smoothies and shakes every day a breeze. It's also not a monster to store.

Love it and is good value!

I'd definitely purchase again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for making protein shake smoothies, March 7 2011
I bought this because I had a 20 year old giant blender and I was annoyed at how long it took to clean it. So I bought this because it was inexpensive and small. I had a few worries when I ordered it, namely if it was going to be TOO small and if it would be powerful enough to blend ice. Well it passed all my tests and
it blends perfectly! Because it has a nice travel lid you can pop the container off and drink it without having to dirty another glass. It's also easy to clean because of it's small size. Here is what I use:

-150ml skim milk
-1 scoop whey protein powder
-1 banana (chopped)
-6 strawberries (frozen)
-25 blueberries
-7 large ice cubes

This fills the container almost to the top.

5.0 out of 5 stars great big little blender, Jan. 13 2012
recently broke my magic bullet, and replaced temporarily with this! I think I'll use this more now as it breaks up frozen spinach nuggets for my smoothies much better, also very handy to just take the cup you mixed it in, and go. Easy to clean, it's a big/wide cup, but works well for what I use it for. Fairly quiet too for a blender! Definitely suggest it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Surprise, Feb. 21 2015
This little blender was one big surprise for me. Because it was a single serving blender on sale, I made a purchase.

I thought it would be another cheap, useless, soon-to-burn-out blender. But I was so wrong! It works like a dream. Do not underestimate the look of this blender. It seems that because of the low price, it may be inferior to other professional blenders. But that isn't the case. I have had the opportunity to use a nutri bullet, and let me tell you, I prefer this one! It seems easier to use, it's got great storage capabilities, and makes a smoothie in a matter of seconds without anything getting stuck in the blades.

I usually make a smoothie with the following ingredients; two frozen bananas, two tbsp of almond butter, and 300-400 ml of almond milk. It's ready in no time. This is an investment that will barely affect your wallet, but change your smoothies entirely.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great for workout shakes, Nov. 29 2012
I bought this for making quick post-workout shakes. Using a large blender was always a hassle because it was too large and took forever to clean. This works perfectly for a sinlge serving shake however, and you only have to clean the lid and cup with a quick rinse. I've never had it spill on me. It pulse blends very fast and I can't imagine having a better blender for this purpose.

The only downside is that the lid is rubbery, and while it does fit pretty well, the lid itself turns the cup and lid into more of a self contained cup, like a travel mug. You blend your stuff and detatch it, and then you can drink it straight from the glass with lid on right? Well, the opening on the lid is fairly small (for me anyway) So I prefer to just take the lid off and drink without it. That being said, the slider on the top of the lid is not perfectly airtight, so I find when I blend a little bit gets on top of the lid (Does not fly out or anything, just a tiny bit leaks onto the top). Also, this blender while perfect for shakes seems to be limited for that use. I would only pulse this blender, I wouldn't use it consistently to make a meal as it seems to heat up after prolonged use.

So, PERFECT for shakes, but not much else. I got exactly what I wanted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little travel blender, Oct. 17 2012
Janice Andrews (Thunder Bay, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
I ordered this little blender specifically to take on a long road trip. I drink fruit smoothies for breakfast and I didn't want to give up that one healthy habit. Taking a large full size blender was out of the question.
This little gadget performed amazingly well. I used mainly soft fruits - bananas, strawberries, blueberries avacadoes and it blended everything quite well. I wouldn't attempt walnuts or almonds as it might burn out the motor. I also didn't try any greens like spinach or kale.
I ran it in short bursts to save the motor (as suggested in another review) and it worked fine.
Amazon shipping got it to me just in time also!
I will take it with me on all my trips. It's lightweight, fast blending, easy to store, you can drink right out of the container and the price was right.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not powerful enough to blend frozen fruit, Oct. 10 2012
I was really disappointed that this blender didn't suit my needs, because I had read so many great reviews. For a small, low power single-serve blender, I suppose this is a fine product. However, I always use frozen fruit in my smoothies and this product was not up to the task. After many attempts, the strawberries would still be almost completely whole. I even tried putting in only one or two berries in at a time, and (a) it still wasn't blending it smooth, and (b) that process was then taking so much longer than it normally would in a regular-sized blender that the quick efficiency of a small blender lost all its value. Unfortunately I had to return this product.

If you only make smoothies with soft or liquid items, it seems from other reviews that this will work for you. Otherwise save up for a machine with more power.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, a little small though..., Sept. 13 2013
Product delivers but is a little on the small side for me, personally. Should have ordered a larger blender. Love it doe!

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 Years of Use!, April 25 2014
Great little blender! Have made protein smoothies with bananas, peanut butter, yogurt, frozen fruit, ice, oatmeal, etc. in it for almost 3 years. I even add my liquid vitamins to the drinks. All blend well! It is still as powerful as the day I purchased. Easy to clean up except for the greasy peanut butter which is a little pesky. One of the neatest things is that little hole under its sliding cover for drinking but better yet is to use a plastic drinking Straw. It is so much friendlier to drink this way with little sips throughout the morning. Have given this blender as a gift to friends and family. They all think it is great. Terrific value around $15.00.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ice handling is not the greatest, March 16 2013
Natalie Murray (Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada) - See all my reviews
[This review is heavily edited since owning it for a while]
You get what you pay for. Blend some soft stuff together - fabulous. Blend ice or anything frozen? Forget it. Frozen berries gum it up, ice gums it up, and yes, when you put your liquids in first it still gums up (I see other commenters scoffing because OBVIOUSLY the negative reviewers are not doing something correctly - not so!).

Yogurt, fresh berries, protein powder, milks, juices - all blend wonderfully. Anything else - forget it. I'll keep this as my quick toss something together blender and invest in a Ninja or some such for real smoothies.

Hamilton Beach 51103C Single-Serve Blender with Travel Lid