4.0 out of 5 stars Warm but Nose Foam Piece Attached too Poorly
Smokin warm setup, but extremely disappointed by the nose foam piece. Attached by glue that doesn't hold, continually releases, accidentally gets caught up in the Velcro of the front, this part is obviously not going to last a season and I would never rate this gear as Everest ready until that foam was attached properly.

On a PLUS, the Velcro mouth guard is...
Published on Aug. 29 2011 by Clinton A. Boyda

2.0 out of 5 stars For the price it should be better
Published on Dec 18 2011 by Feltronan

2.0 out of 5 stars For the price it should be better, Dec 18 2011
This review is from: ColdAvenger Expedition Balaclava, Black (Sports)
I thought this would be perfect for my outdoor job all winter long in Winnipeg. I have only used this in -18 degrees Celsius and I think I have already passed its limits. The fleece isn't very thick so I had to put another toque on just to take the chill away. As far as I can tell the air intake adjustor is just for show. Even the smallest amount of wind goes through the rubber mouth piece and makes it feel like you are wearing nothing at all.

The face mask has to be extremely tight and my safety goggles have to be even tighter to create a good seal around my nose. Standing around was fine but once I started to move and work my goggles fogged up instantly and I couldn't see. In order to get a good seal you need the foam nose piece, and the glue is not going to last.

This mask looks very intense so you get a lot of comments from people. I wouldn't mind if it did the job that it claims it can do. But, when it isn't even better than a cheap toque and neck warmer I feel like a fool for wearing it.

You might have a different result if you don't need to wear glasses/goggles all the time. But if you do, this product won't be much help.

4.0 out of 5 stars Warm but Nose Foam Piece Attached too Poorly, Aug. 29 2011
Clinton A. Boyda (Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ColdAvenger Expedition Balaclava, Black (Sports)

On a PLUS, the Velcro mouth guard is ingenious and easily allows for quick easy facial access or warmth.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, Feb. 1 2012
Paul Acree (Thunder Bay, ON CDN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ColdAvenger Expedition Balaclava, Black (Sports)
Just recently used this gear in -25C weather with a windchill of -38C and never felt a thing. I would have given this mask a 5 but for the little foam insert that keeps the rubber part of the facemask away from your skin; it's not designed to stay put and it sure doesn't. I found myself having to adjust that little foam bit quite often. A velcro fastener for it would work well and should be considered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Too warm?, March 11 2014
This review is from: ColdAvenger Expedition Balaclava, Black (Sports)
This product is excellent and performed as advertised. Only word of advice, this product is for truly cold environments, -10 or colder. In moderate temperatures, you will sweat. I love this balaclava.

5.0 out of 5 stars it just works, Feb. 16 2014
This review is from: ColdAvenger Expedition Balaclava, Black (Sports)
I chose this product because I was not happy breathing in the frigid winter air first thing in the morning at work. This balaclava keeps my head and face warm even when the snow and wind are right in your face! The HRV like front ventilator keeps the heat and allows you to draw in warmed air vs frigid air. I like it and it works for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Has potential but needs work, Dec 29 2013
High-Tech Prepper (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: ColdAvenger Expedition Balaclava, Black (Sports)
Tested this snowshoeing in Northern Saskatchewan in -25 Celsius with -35 windchill factor.

PROS

1) Its WARM around mouth and ears. Even when walking towards a -35 celcius wind. The face mask attachment conveniently stretches to provide an extra layer of fleece over your ears.

2) The air you breath in is also very warm.

3) The fleece is relatively good quality.

4) A positive small step in the direction of improving balaclava technology.

CONS

1) The fit. The toque portion doesn't cover your whole forehead so you need to wear another toque over it (this ends up interfering with velcro for mask).

2) Inside the ventilator its soaking wet after only an hour of use. This makes for extreme discomfort and a general gross feeling.

3) The chin cover of the face mask gets pulled up and eventually blocks the ventilation, very annoying as you have to constantly be pulling it back down and readjusting it.

4) Unless you have goggles on the ventilator will push up into your eyes, impeding your ability to look downwards at times.

5) The cheap nose foam they give you to stick onto the ventilator is just made cheap and won't last. You only get one of these 10 cent devices so be nice to it!! They could have at least thrown a few of these in there, I mean seriously.

6) Feels like you're wearing a gas mask, overall its just really intrusive.

7) Defective stitching around the chin is a constant annoyance and just looks bad.

*DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!, Dec 14 2013
This review is from: ColdAvenger Expedition Balaclava, Black (Sports)
No more putting on a soaked balaclava from a build up of condensation!
Others will be buying these at the project!

5.0 out of 5 stars practical for the Canadian weather!, Nov. 22 2013
This review is from: ColdAvenger Expedition Balaclava, Black (Sports)
It keeps you worm and practical for the Canadian weather!
It’s snugly and protects you from the strong winds!
5 *****

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, July 9 2013
This review is from: ColdAvenger Expedition Balaclava, Black (Sports)
I work in the Arctic (Nunavut) and this thing change my life. It does exactly what it said it would do.

If you work outside for long hour or practice outdoor sport when its cold... you want one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless and a waste of money, Feb. 27 2013
This review is from: ColdAvenger Expedition Balaclava, Black (Sports)
I purchased one of these from the manufacturer. I was disappointed with the fit, it hurts your face and doesn't behave like it would appear to. Air leaks all around. The only guarantee is that you will be fooling with this all the time trying to tolerate it. Upon looking at the return policy I noticed that they get to keep most of your money if you return it. This is awful! Stay away from this manufacturer and this product.

ColdAvenger Expedition Balaclava, Black