countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Home Tools Registry

on August 14, 2015
An essential album. Intimate and heartfelt. Draws you in and makes you want to listen nonstop, end to end. Shows that Nirvana didn't need to be loud to be great. Bonus: the recorded sound quality is fantastic and really captures the ambiance of this live session.
on June 16, 2016
I was skeptical of buying this album thinking all these songs crammed on one single LP might take away from sound quality. But from start to finish its much better sounding than the '90s pressing. If you like this album you won't be disappointed with the purchase. I received the Back to Black 180g release at the time I ordered this.
on May 27, 2016
I am not one to write reviews on here, and I have a vinyl collection now that I started just a little bit over a year ago that's grown to be about 50-60 records. Nirvana Unplugged was the 8th album I bought, and it was the best 30 dollars I've ever spent in my life, hands down. Before listening to this album, I knew nirvanas most famous songs but was never really into them. This album completely changed that for me. I still remember going to my local record store and picking this up and thinking "hey, it's only 30 dollars I have to lose if I don't like this" and the only songs I knew on it were come as you are (because I only knew their most popular stuff) and lake of fire (shown to me by a friend of mine who's into them). As I played this vinyl on my record player when I got home, I was instantly intrigued. The Man Who Sold the World blew me away, and right after that song, Pennyroyal Tea also blew me away. Such a haunting solo performance of that song.

Hands down one of my all time favourite albums. This album is what got me into nirvana and all of the 90s music to begin with.

RIP Kurt
on March 26, 2003
Although Nirvana's studio work was great (particularly In Utero), this live album of November 1993 solidified the band's legend.
The concept behind Unplugged was decidedly unusual. Here was an intense, loud punk band from Seattle playing acoustic. An odd concept indeed, but Cobain, Grohl, and Novoselic were more than up to the task with a beautiful 14-song set. To my knowledge, Nirvana was the first to play an entire Unplugged session in a single take, which makes the quality of the performance all the more remarkable.
Instead of just playing a list of popular hits (as Alice In Chains did in the Unplugged format), Kurt decided to pay homage to the band's indie roots with covers of the Vaselines (Jesus Doesn't Want Me For A Sunbeam), David Bowie (The Man Who Sold The World, featuring the only plugged guitar), and three selections from Meat Puppets II (Plateau, Oh Me, Lake Of Fire). All of these renditions are pure gold, and I consider them superior to the originals.
Their studio work takes on a new dimension without the electric distortion. About A Girl sends shivers up my spine, Come As You Are sounds even more impressive acoustic, Dumb is filled with beautiful stringwork, Pennyroyal Tea becomes a haunting solo ballad, and All Apologies changes from raw to meloncholy. Most of these songs are at least equivalent to the studio versions, with All Apologies being much better than the harsh In Utero version.
The best track of all though is the unforgettable Where Did You Sleep Last Night. In this Leadbelly cover, Kurt lets all the feeling hit home, especially toward the end with his piercing screams. I've never heard a more emotional song in my life, and I always shed a tear listening to it.
This one ranks as the best live album of the 1990's and among the best ever. If you love Nirvana, definitely buy this one. If you never considered buying a Nirvana album, this one will make you a fan. Trust me.
----RIP Kurt----
on July 5, 2014
The final sigh of the last track wrote the story of the end of Nirvana. You could see it in his face; he was tired and Nirvana was over. But I think it was for the best. He said it himself, it's better to burn out than to fade away. Well, Neil Young said it, I suppose.

There is not a bad track on the album, and it is ghostly real and engrossing on vinyl with a nice set of speakers. A must have.
on December 22, 2003
Nirvana's Unplugged remains one of the band's most majestic moments. Coming hot off the heels of the noisy In Utero album, the band decided to stop into MTV's studios in New York City and play an acoustic set that completely erased any notions that they were just a simple "grunge" band. Kurt Cobain seems completely relaxed throughout, and he gives some staggeringly beautiful vocal performances. Dave Grohl plays the drums with wire brushes and demonstrates that he was just as capable of subtle shading as he was at hard-hitting fury. Krist Novoselic proves himself to be a worthwhile musician as well, playing accordion on "Jesus Doen't Want Me For a Sunbeam" in additon to playing a very solid-yet-laid back acoustic bass. Add former Germs guitarist Pat Smear to the lineup, as well as a guest appearance by the Kirkwood brothers of Tempe band the Meat Puppets, and you have all of the ingredients of that legendary November 1993 night.
All of the most obvious choices from Nevermind are featured here, "Polly," and "Something in the Way" of course, but their acoustic rendering of "On a Plain" is both relevatory and surprising, since I would not have expected them to include this song, and what's more it actually works as an acoustic! The classic "Come As You Are" is given more subtlely and emotion here, and that flanged guitar solo sounds positively stunning on an acoustic (actually he was using a half-acoustic/half-electric hybrid). The band also delivers some of the most mature songs from In Utero, too. "Dumb" sounds both blissful and melancholy at the same time, "All Apologies" is one of the highlights here, and "Pennyroyal Tea" stands as one of Kurt's most emotionally naked moments (I actually like the version here better).
Like the Beatles before him, Kurt Cobain had the uncanny ability to take any cover song and make it his own. From Devo to Leadbelly, David Bowie to the Vaselines, Kurt made it sound like all of these songs were his own, and he does this beautifully here as well, especially on their rendition of Bowie's "Man Who Sold the World," and of course, Leadbelly's "Where Did You Sleep Last Night." The latter has to be one of Nirvana's most chilling moments of all time, especially near the close of the song, where Kurt is giving it his all. Then, with an impassioned cry of "SHIVEEERRRRR!" he pauses for a couple of seconds before finishing the line. At this moment, I have to say the silence is deafening and is absolutely haunting in the purest sense of the word. It seems ironic that a band who was known for noisy live performances could rip walls out (and hearts) with two seconds of silence. This, if nothing else, stands as a testament to Nirvana's gifts.
As life affirming as this can be to listen to, sometimes it can also be quite sad knowing that this is ultimately the last word from Nirvana before Kurt's untimely death. But if this was the band's (and Kurt's) swan song, it is certainly the best finale that one can have, and I would certainly want something this beautiful to be my farewell, too. Even ten years later (God, has it been that long already?), Nirvana's Unplugged session remains as fresh as it was at the time, and stands as one of their very best live performances (as well as their most unique). Whether you are a casual fan or a diehard, this album is not to be missed and you are doing yourself a grave injustice if you skip out. This isn't just an Unplugged session, it is an experience.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 4, 2015
It is amazing how much more depth and warmth you get from listening to vinyl. Seriously, buy this and the CD, or even MP3. Out of the same speakers, play one medium and compare to vinyl. I highly recommend this to anyones collection. This might be one of Nirvana's best releases.
on September 13, 2013
i chose nirvana unpluged cause i like nivana and the unpluged version is good listening. i love it might be kinda much, but it is real good.any body that likes nirvana will like this and even if your not a nirvana fan try this one it's good
on July 7, 2015
Such a great album and sounds very nice on vinyl. Not sure why its not stated in the product description but this is a 180 gram vinyl edition that was pressed in Germany (at least the copy I received was). Very Happy.
on July 12, 2004
This is one of the weridest albums i own, in a way. Nirvana, a band which set the whole grunge scene going, and arguably one of the best in the genre, decided to make a live unplugged show for MTV. Nirvana, you know. Fat distortions, atonal riffs, raging vocals, powerful shows. Nirvana.
That they did *THIS* good is a surprise, and should change more than one peoples' mind about the artistic merits of the band (and Kurt Cobain in particular). Forget what you thought of this Nirvana; the way they morphed their songs (and others too) into mellow accoustic tunes is remarkable, and against all odds, worked great. I mean, my dad, who can't stand 99.9% of grunge, loves this record. It's easy to listen, but not because the songs are cheezy, it's just the complete album is incredibly good.
From start to finish, it transports you first row to this (unique) performance. Like i said, the whole record is excellent, but tracks like "Plateau", "Oh me", "On a plain", "Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam", "Where did you sleep last night?", and "All apologies" are so deeply moving i prefer to listen them by myself, wearing headphones. I can only imagine, closing my eyes, what have it felt to be there.
This is hands down one of the best albums of the 90's, and easily one of the top 10 live recordings of all history. It's hard to say this things without sounding like a fanboy, but the truth is that it simply is. Whatever your musical cup-of-tea is, you deserve to give this record a listen. People argue about how much they like this album - i dare you find someone who doesn't.