5.0 out of 5 stars Good bread-maker
Published on March 21 2011 by m_k

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent First Time Breadmaker - but bakes an uneven crust.

Published on Dec 8 2010 by P Symons

5.0 out of 5 stars Good bread-maker, March 21 2011
m_k (Richmond Hill, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zojirushi BB-CEC20BA Home Bakery Supreme, Black/Stainless (Kitchen)
I've bought this bread machine roughly two months ago, and this is my first one. I've read many reviews on this bread-maker both positive and negative and after playing with it for about a couple of months I can state that this machine can bake bread of very good quality. Unless you are very unlucky and got a defective machine most negative reviews I read are result of basic misunderstanding of how to use this machine.

In very few words: each brand of a bread flour has different ability to bind (consume) water. All recipes coming with this bread-maker are developed for flour sold in US which differs significantly from Canadian flour; so that all recipes have to be adjusted accordingly. In my case when I precisely follow the recipe for whole-wheat bread I get a very wet (looking like a swamp) dough. To bring this swampy dough to normal consistency I have to add more than 100 gram of flour during the kneading phase. Besides, one cup can contain from 100 to 150 gram of flour depending on how you fill that cup with flour (scooping with that cup or spoon-by-spoon) and on how humid your flour is. I strongly suggest using of electronic scales for flour (and even water) measuring.

First, start from the recipe that comes with machine and 5 minutes after machine begins kneading open the lid and check dough consistency. If it's too wet add flour teaspoon-by-teaspoon until dough gets desired consistency. If it's too dry add water teaspoon-by-teaspoon until dough gets desired consistency. Remember amount of flour (or water) you added and update this recipe. Next time use updated recipe.

Because Canadian white bread flour is much better (richer) than US one you may end up with loaf that has risen too high and touched the lid from inside during baking, causing some time consuming to clean mess (it happened to me couple of times). Top of the loaf that came in touch with lid is uncooked and must be cut off, but rest of the loaf should be fine. If that happened - just reduce all ingredients by roughly 20%.

I suggest you to visit WEB site called "Bread Machine Digest" (just Google for it) to get some very useful knowledge on bread making with bread-machine (that is what I did). Besides, if you are new to bread-machine bread making, you can search on YouTube videos of how actually dough should look like while bread-maker is kneading it, just search for "kneading dough breadmaker" pattern on YouTube.

Also, many recipes coming with this machine include ingredient called "Vital Wheat Gluten". Most likely you won't find it in major food store chains (at least in Ontario). This "Vital Wheat Gluten" is sold in Canada under different name "Gluten Flour" and can be found in special store chain called "Bulk Barn" (just Google for that name).

5.0 out of 5 stars Zojirushi breadmaker, Nov. 17 2010
I've been using bread machines for more than 10 years, and have gone through several models in that time. This is by far the best of the lot. Much more expensive, but you get what you pay for. The others have usually lasted about a year and some of them didn't make a good loaf, no matter how much I tweaked the recipe.
One of the best features is the shape of the loaf, similar to traditional type pans, which makes it much better to slice for sandwiches. Easy to use, my first loaf turned out the closest I've ever had to handmade bread. Good texture and flavour. I've tried several different recipes and they all were excellent. The one feature I would have liked is a stop/pause button, hopefully this will be included in the next model. All in all, the best machine I've ever used.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bread baking with a zojirushi supreme, Nov. 3 2010
G. Dillabough - See all my reviews
Just got my new bread maker and tried it out for the last couple of days. This bread maker is exceptional compared to the other two I had. This is the most expensive on the market but it is worth the extra money. The loafs of bread are well formed and the paddles usually do not stay in the bread when removed from the pan. The pan snaps into the mounts easily and is very secure. It is easy to clean and all the different functions are simple to use. I would recommend this bread maker over the cheaper lines.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Gluten Free Baking, June 12 2011
I purchased this machine given the number of internet reviews specifically for gluten free break baking, so this review will be specific to this, as I haven't used it for anything else.

The double paddle design is perfect for gluten free bread dough, as, for those of us who have done it by hand, you know how much mixing is required, and how gluey the dough can get. Despite the double paddle (which reverses direction every so often to avoid piling the dough up on one side) you do still need to give it a little push mid way through mixing to ensure all the flour and starch is incorporated into the dough...not a big deal, at all. Something to consider if you expect to throw everything in and use the timer function. Although if you use fresh eggs in your recipes, you can't do this anyway, or the eggs will likely spoil.

I love the horizontal loaf pan! I used to use another bread machine that made those torpedo loaves, but it didn't really cut it for gluten free breads. I've been using recipes from a gluten free bread recipe book that includes bread maker instructions for my main recipes. I find the gluten free recipes included in the manual are too rice flour based for good bread, and are too gritty, like rice flour bread generally is. I just follow the machine instructions for the order for putting in the ingredients, and use the recipe book measurements. Works perfectly! This is the recipe book I've been using --> The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread: More Than 200 Wheat-Free Recipes

Given that gluten free dough doesn't need a second rise like wheat dough does, there is a program function that will allow you to turn off the second and third rise, and program the amount of time the machine prewarms, mixes, and bakes. The crust selection is also handy, although I find I typically use the medium selection all the time...but it gives you the option for darker or lighter crusts, depending on your tastes. That being said, the quick wheat selection does well for my recipes...all I do is remove the paddles using teflon coated tongs once the mixing cycle is complete (plus it also keeps the big paddle holes from forming in your finished loaf). It also beeps during the mixing setting to alert you to when you can add seeds, nuts, fruit, etc to your bread, should you want to. You can't turn it off, though...

The only drawback is that it is more expensive than most other bread makers on the market. Personally, I think it was a great investment for me. Gluten free breads are notoriously expensive to buy, and I love the fact that I don't have to heat up the house, especially in the summer, to bake a loaf of bread in the oven. Once the mixing is done, I can just leave it to do its thing for the rest of the time it's baking. It's fairly quiet while it's mixing...I think my microwave is louder when it's on. I love this breadmaker, and have been incredibly happy with how the gluten free loaves have turned out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent First Time Breadmaker - but bakes an uneven crust., Dec 8 2010
Zojirushi BB-CEC20BA Home Bakery Supreme, Black/Stainless

Was very excited to be buying my first breadmaker and decided to read as many reviews as possible, settling finally on the Zojirushi Home Bakery Supreme. First Impressions were that it was well packaged to avoid the rough handling of the local delivery company. The machine is very smart and matches my Black/stainless themed kitchen and its footprint is not so huge that I have to put it in a cupboard between uses.

Although I ordered a home baking bred book The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook: A Master Baker's 300 Favorite Recipes for Perfect-Every-Time Bread From Every Kind of Machine
I decided to first try the simple white loaf recipe in the Zojirushi start guide. The DVD that came with the machine was useful although the background music reminded me of a different type of video entirely. Follwing the instructions, I placed the ingredients into the pan and turned on. 3 hours 45 minutes later, the loaf was ready, with only my impatience making it seem like it took a whole day.

The viewing window made it easy to see the different cycles that the loaf went through, so it was a simple job to see if I needed to add a little water or flour to the mix. As it happened, the recipe did look a little moist, with some dough sticking to the sides of the pan. This was simplicity itself to rectify by opening the large lid and adding a spoonful of flour.

When the timer indicated the loaf was ready I checked the window and saw that the side of the loaf furthest from the control panel was browner than the other side. I wasn't sure if this was supposed to be the case, but suspected that it wasn't. Tipping the loaf out, I made the mistake of tipping it head first onto the cooling try, this left a cooling tray impression on the top of the loaf.

After impatiently letting the loaf cool, I sliced into it and tasted it with butter. It really was tasty, light and fluffy but with some body. White bread has never been my favourite, but as a first attempt I wanted to keep things simple. Once the bread had cooled, the fact that one side of the loaf was cooked more than the other was even more apparent. Checking the Zojirushi FAQ I thought that perhaps because I hadn't placed the paddles facing the same direction at the beginning may have had an effect on the way the bread had cooked. Something to note for my next loaf.

Next loaf was the Maple and Buttermilk loaf, from the Hensburger book. I noted that even though she gives recipes for each loaf in 2 sizes, the amount of ingredients for her 2lb white loaf was slightly more than the equivalent Zojirushi recipe, and the first loaf had risen all the way to the top of the pan, so I decided that for safety sake, I'd use the 1 1/2 lb recipes. I really didn't want the loaf over spilling the pan, or it would land straight on top of the heating element and make a horrible mess.

Adding the ingredients was simplicity itself, and feeling that this was an ideal loaf for breakfast I set the timer for 8 hours ahead. Setting the timer was very simple, you just set how many hours ahead you want the loaf to be finished, it automatically calculates the baking time within that, so you don't have to work out anything complicated.

In the night the machine started up, and although not *very* loud, it was loud enough with its beeps and kneading to be heard up stairs in a bedroom with a closed door. It would have been nice if you could set the machine to silent mode to prevent beeps to add ingredients, etc when you know you don't want to add anything.

The loaf in the morning had the same look as the first loaf, cooked more one side than the other. This didn't affect its taste though, only the texture of the crust. I must say that this loaf surpassed my expectations and is the nicest breakfast bread I've ever had. Perfect for marmalade!

I phoned the Zojirushi customer support number and the rep advised me to use 2 tablespoons less flour to sort out the uneven baking. Unconvinced, I tried this on my 3 loaf, making the same Hensburger recipe for comparison. I made extra sure to spread the ingredients evenly across the pan, and even made several little pockets for the yeast so it would be evenly incorporated into the dough. The result was sadly the same. An even height loaf, but cooked more one side than the other.

I was about to return it as faulty when I decided to look again at the Zojirushi website for photos of their loaves. In the 'Fun Fun Fun' section I found some recipes with photos of the loaves that had ACTUALLY been cooked in the device, and not just added from stock photos. I noticed the same unevenly cooked crust that had plagued my 3 loaves!

On closer inspection of the inside of the device I noticed that the heating element is does not go equally around the inside of the baking area. Presumably this is the reason for the uneven baking.

I'm afraid I have no experience of other bread machines, so I'm unable to offer a comparison. Would I recommend this machine to a friend? Yes I would, but just beware that the loaves won't look as perfect as they do in the marketing photos.

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit too expensive and a bit too fiddly, Jan. 1 2013
PLB (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
I started out hating this breadmaker because I tried several different times with different recipes and couldn't get any of them to work out the way I expected them to. Then I found m_k's 5 star review on this site explaining that the manufacturer's instructions were geared to US users, and describing how to adjust them to handle Canadian flour. This does work, and the breadmaker is now performing well, so what I should have done was to give this machine a 4 star rating (a bit too expensive, and a bit too fiddly, for the quality of bread produced). In the end, however, I decided to give it only 2 stars, not just for the initial frustration that this machine caused, but also because, if you are like me, you read the critical comments first and, if you buy this machine, you need to be aware of m_k's advice (thank you m_k).

2.0 out of 5 stars Zojirushi Home Bakery Supreme, Dec 12 2012
I was so excited to get this machine. It was selected because of it's great reviews. I thought it would be worth the extra money after all, you get what you pay for?
Not this time. Pay extra...get a machine with a short life span of about 5 months. Element went and so did the digital read out pad. Machine looks great from the outside and worked great for the time it did. Too bad it is now a dust collector.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended, Nov. 25 2012
We bought and returned two of these in the space of five weeks.

The first one simply didn't work, having no heat in at least one of the cycles.

The second one we received worked brilliantly for two weeks and produced some wonderful bread. Unfortunately, at about loaf seven or eight, a loud bang was heard during the knead cycle, after which the dough paddles no longer turned.

Needless to say, we cannot recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Love Love it!, Aug. 25 2011
keshia - See all my reviews
I had a bread maker that I got for free just so I could see if I would use it... I did and then decided I wanted one that was better quality and made more normal shaped loaves. I searched reviews all over the internet and the Zojirushi was the top of all the lists... so I bought it and I LOVE IT! I have made lots of different types of breads and I've even made cornbread and banana bread in it on its cake setting... delish! I woould definitely recommend it to anyone and everyone and it even fits in my island cupboard so I can neatly tuck it away on the rare occasions it's not in use!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the extra $$$ over the other brands out there., Feb. 22 2013
Third bread-make for my wife. 1st wore out in the paddle drive (single paddle), the second had two paddles and was almost impossible to get the bread out as the two paddles sat slightly too high off the bottom and allowed the bread to form under them. I was called on to persuade the majority of loaves out! Had the "Z" several weeks and every loaf from the first came out perfect both as bread and as an exit. Friends have a "Z" and had it when we got the second one but we made an active choice to go less expensive and the old adage proved out "you get what you pay for" (most of the time).

CDN$ 290.00 CDN$ 229.00