4.0 out of 5 stars crisis on two earths, May 20 2014
I liked the Justice League TV series more than the movie. In the series, there was also some episode that was similar to this movie. For this one, the villains did not appeal to me. If they were more similar in character to their counter parts, it may be more interesting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Expired Digital Copy, April 26 2014
The only thing I dislike frome it, is that the code for digital copy was expired.
Otherwise, the movie is very good!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love This CD!, March 13 2014
This CD is well-made: the story, the acting, the animation, the bonus features. You won't be disappointed! I wasn't! Excellent!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but Not Great, April 7 2013
Theo (Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
If you enjoy superhero cartoons you'll enjoy this one. It's a well executed piece of work with outstanding production values, a tight storyline and a polished finish. But... Like most of the more recent DC Animated Universe (DCAU) movies to come out, it just doesn't have the depth and resonance of Bruce Timm's earlier work. You know - the stuff from back when all the shows really did make up a cohesive universe with its own continuity.

These days... the characters aren't quite so three dimensional; the dialogue not quite so mature. Perhaps as a result I find that I just plain don't care quite so much about either the characters themselves or the world they inhabit. I definitely get the feeling that Timm is more of a pure producer these days. That he isn't so directly involved in the actual writing.

For those deeply entrenched in the history of the DC comic book universe, this is a movie that references, but is far from married to the "Crisis" meta-series in DC comics. Fundamentally it is its own work, and needs to be taken as such. Personally, I think that was a wise move. You just can't compress something the size and scope of the comic book Crisis into the length of a movie and not wind up with a total mess.

Another real achievement that the creators of this work can be proud of is that they did manage to make the character of "Owl-Man" (Batman's alternate universe evil double) a credible and non-ridiculous opponent: surely a feat well nigh on par with making Shakespearian comedy actually funny.

But... in the end I find that I can't help but come back to where I began. This is a good movie. It is fun to watch. But it's not in the same league as Bruce Timm's earlier stuff. The stuff that made me proud to be a fan of the superhero genre. The stuff that easily held up as at least as intelligent as any of the live action dramas made for "grown-up" TV - if not considerably more so.

Theo.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good action movie centered on the Justice League, Aug. 31 2012
John Thomas Anderson (Southern Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Justice League Crisis on Two Earths is yet another in a long line of both DC and Marvel mini-movies that seem to be popping up with increasing frequency these days and is about average for the breed. (i.e. - pretty good.) The hook this time is an alternate earth on which the Justice League has been practically wiped out and our Justice League is recruited by an alternate good guy Lex Luthor to save them. Simple as that.

The animation is good, but not stellar and the plot at times is pretty ridiculous even by DC Universe standards. And unlike some of the more recent DC movies like Supergirl's origin in Superman/Batman Apocalypse or the Wonder Woman movie; I never really could connect with the storyline and it's characters. I'd rate the plot and character development at a 3.

However when it comes to action, this movie does exceed in spades! From the beginning with Lex Luthor's escape to our world; it's one battle after another with super heroes battling super villains at a drop of the hat. And there's something really neat about Superman versus Ultraman or Superwoman versus Wonder Woman. It's non-stop action. Overall, I'd rate the action a solid 4 stars.

Like all these DC & Marvel Bluray movies; this disc is loaded with extras. There's a 10 min. short on The Spectre which has been done art nouveau style complete with scratches and spots. It reminded me of an old Bogart film. There's also a 30 min. documentary on the effects of 9/11 on the DC Universe from Identity Crisis to Alternate Universes. And in addition, trailers on Under the Red Hood, Superman/Batman Public Enemies, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern First Flight. And as usual, these are not your normal trailers, but extended mini-documentaries that range from 8 to 12 minutes long!

As a further bonus, they throw in the pilot episodes for the old Lynda Carter Wonder Woman series (I'd forgotten just how cheesy that series was) and a pilot for an Aquaman series that I assume never got any further. And much better, four episodes from the old Justice League Unlimited TV series including the two-part series "A better world" which had a Justice League from an alternate Earth come to ours to take over. But they had gone down a different and darker path. It's almost as good as this movie.

The movie itself is a 1080P 16:9 widescreen. But unlike most DC BD movies, this one has no DTS high definiton audio. Instead it uses the same English Dolby Digital 5.1 audio track as on the DVD. There are no other audio tracks but it does include French and Spanish subtitles. It sounds fine.

Overall, I'd rate this movie a three for the storyline, four for the action, three for the sound and four for the extras. So I'll call it a four.

J. A.

4.0 out of 5 stars Greatly Enjoyable, June 11 2012
The animation was great. I simply enjoyed the fighting scenes with their other dimensional selves. Im always cheering for the justice league! Great DVD and extras!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Perfect, But It's Kinda Close, Feb. 28 2010
T. M. Stamler "Wannabe Anonymous" (Stonewall, MB Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths (DVD)
I've always been interested in the whole Mirror Universe thing, and different series like DC Comics and Star Trek have done a really good job with it, so when I heard about this movie coming out, I knew I wouldn't be able to let myself not see it.

I had my reservations, though. I had read Grant Morrison's graphic novel "Earth 2" which focuses on our JLA against the CSA, and while that was rather well done, I knew how muddled up the history of DC Comics is (for whatever reason, they feel they have to redo everything every decade or so and make things even more confusing than they already are). This movie's writers had a lot of alternate evils do go through and work with, but fortunately, they didn't disappoint.

Both our guys and their darker reflections were brilliantly depicted, right down to their voice actors. Mark Harmon (most famous as the lead of the TV drama NCIS, Gibbs) carries the strength and heart to play Superman, while Josh Keaton (currently known as Peter Parker in the Spectacular Spider-Man series) and Vanessa Marshall, who are usually smaller-time, comedic voice actors add a humorous, colourful flare to The Flash and Wonder Woman. Jonathan Adams seems to be channeling Carl Lumby as the Martian Manhunter, but manages to do a good job giving you both a familiar feel and a touch of something new to the character. William Baldwin as Batman I was iffie on when I first heard it, however it grew on me over time, as did Chris Noth's Luthor. I guess since this version of Batman was a bit more cerebral than standard versions, Baldwin's calm portrayal was suitable and added almost a sympathetic edge to it that even the great Kevin Conroy sometimes lacked.

I won't go through the villains (or anti-superheroes, or whatever you want to call them) actors, since none of them have a particularly large range of dialogue, except for one, who I will discuss: Owlman, the opposite Batman, played by James Woods. I was iffie on this one, too, even though I like Woods, but again those ifs were for naught. Like Baldwin's Bat, Woods' Owl is a very calm, cerebral character, and a calm, quiet, focussed voice was all he needed. If the actor involved had been growly and screaming all the time, that effect would have been ruined.

Since I've just shot out two honking paragraphs on the actors alone, I'll be sparse with the story (it'll also keep me from giving anything away). It was good, had a nice flow, and didn't overdo the action or bore us with backstory and dialogue when it wasn't needed. And like many Mirror Universe stories, a lot of the fun comes from the sheer absurdity of each hero and villain's counterpart. For instance, when you realize who the Mirror US President is, your jaw might not drop, but it should at least hover, and the Mirror Jimmy Olsen? Well, if your jaw doesn't drop there, I'll be shocked.

There are some flies in the ointment, of course. One of which is while J'onn the Martian is in the Mirror Earth he becomes somewhat "attached" the President's daughter, which would be fine, if it didn't come off as a random bit of romance simply added in for romance's sake. Also, although this doesn't bother me so much, it may bother others, this movie does have a rather more finite ending than most comic book animated movies. Nothing earth-shattering or anything (...poor choice of words, given the context), just not what many of us are used to.

Regardless, the movie is worth seeing, at least renting, if not buying. Heck knows it beats the pants off of Public Enemies.

4.0 out of 5 stars entertainment done best, April 9 2010
This review is from: Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths (DVD)
I had seen a few reviews on this item, most were positive, & I agree.
Story is engaging, without seeming like tooo much of a re-presentation of an old concept.
I could only wish that it were 20 minutes longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fan or not, you WILL enjoy this!!!, Feb. 1 2011
I am not a fan of the justice league or much cartoon movies. I am usually disappointed in what could have been a great movie/installement.

This movie, is not at all disappointing. I enjoyed it to its fullest and it made me want to buy the Justice League series and give it a go. The parallel universe is always a nice touch but not many can actually make it interesting to the end.

Tyr it, you will be surprise of how much you will actually come to enjoy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, Oct. 12 2010
Very entertaining! The "help" that Batman calls in to the space station is a great touch.
It would have been good to see a full blown fight between Superman and Ultraman though.

Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths by Sam Liu (DVD - 2010)
CDN$ 18.74 CDN$ 9.99