4.0 out of 5 stars Not Perfect, But It's Kinda Close
I've always been interested in the whole Mirror Universe thing, and different series like DC Comics and Star Trek have done a really good job with it, so when I heard about this movie coming out, I knew I wouldn't be able to let myself not see it.

Published on Feb. 28 2010 by T. M. Stamler

3.0 out of 5 stars James Woods as Owlman - Buy It
Published 2 months ago by Lawrence

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Perfect, But It's Kinda Close, Feb. 28 2010
T. M. Stamler "Wannabe Anonymous" (Stonewall, MB Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths (DVD)

I had my reservations, though. I had read Grant Morrison's graphic novel "Earth 2" which focuses on our JLA against the CSA, and while that was rather well done, I knew how muddled up the history of DC Comics is (for whatever reason, they feel they have to redo everything every decade or so and make things even more confusing than they already are). This movie's writers had a lot of alternate evils do go through and work with, but fortunately, they didn't disappoint.

Both our guys and their darker reflections were brilliantly depicted, right down to their voice actors. Mark Harmon (most famous as the lead of the TV drama NCIS, Gibbs) carries the strength and heart to play Superman, while Josh Keaton (currently known as Peter Parker in the Spectacular Spider-Man series) and Vanessa Marshall, who are usually smaller-time, comedic voice actors add a humorous, colourful flare to The Flash and Wonder Woman. Jonathan Adams seems to be channeling Carl Lumby as the Martian Manhunter, but manages to do a good job giving you both a familiar feel and a touch of something new to the character. William Baldwin as Batman I was iffie on when I first heard it, however it grew on me over time, as did Chris Noth's Luthor. I guess since this version of Batman was a bit more cerebral than standard versions, Baldwin's calm portrayal was suitable and added almost a sympathetic edge to it that even the great Kevin Conroy sometimes lacked.

I won't go through the villains (or anti-superheroes, or whatever you want to call them) actors, since none of them have a particularly large range of dialogue, except for one, who I will discuss: Owlman, the opposite Batman, played by James Woods. I was iffie on this one, too, even though I like Woods, but again those ifs were for naught. Like Baldwin's Bat, Woods' Owl is a very calm, cerebral character, and a calm, quiet, focussed voice was all he needed. If the actor involved had been growly and screaming all the time, that effect would have been ruined.

Since I've just shot out two honking paragraphs on the actors alone, I'll be sparse with the story (it'll also keep me from giving anything away). It was good, had a nice flow, and didn't overdo the action or bore us with backstory and dialogue when it wasn't needed. And like many Mirror Universe stories, a lot of the fun comes from the sheer absurdity of each hero and villain's counterpart. For instance, when you realize who the Mirror US President is, your jaw might not drop, but it should at least hover, and the Mirror Jimmy Olsen? Well, if your jaw doesn't drop there, I'll be shocked.

There are some flies in the ointment, of course. One of which is while J'onn the Martian is in the Mirror Earth he becomes somewhat "attached" the President's daughter, which would be fine, if it didn't come off as a random bit of romance simply added in for romance's sake. Also, although this doesn't bother me so much, it may bother others, this movie does have a rather more finite ending than most comic book animated movies. Nothing earth-shattering or anything (...poor choice of words, given the context), just not what many of us are used to.

Regardless, the movie is worth seeing, at least renting, if not buying. Heck knows it beats the pants off of Public Enemies.

5.0 out of 5 stars A full DVD of DC universe entertainement.... 5 stars (almost !!!), May 4 2010
Yves-Michel "B movie bum" (Montreal Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
the multiple parallel universe scenario has been used several times. I did not expect anything new from DC. To my surprise, they use this uver-used storyline as a support for their characthers and their multiple enemies. Fight scenes are well-orchestrated and not as over-whelming as in the slightly above-par "Public enemies" and the desastrous "Brainiac attack". It was great to see Green Arrow and his mate in action.

Animation is slick and in the right tone for such release. I liked the "Personnage" role definition. The Batman is as dark and cold as I ever saw him. Superman ego is bigger than his shoulders. The final dialogue between Batman and Flash is memorable. The gang of alternate heroes is well selected and defined. You almost believe in this totally Sci-Fi story. Beware, this is a lot whole closer to Star Trek than it is to Adam West's Batman. Some good Modern DC stuff !!!!

Extras : Some great trailers, which you probably have all seen. The full TV premieres of the classic TY shows Wonder Woman and Aquaman (fun to have on DVD... for free). 4 unreleased episodes of JLA. But hold on, there were never released because they served as the base for DC full lenght movies. They are then redundant, but cool to have.

With DC, the price tag is always steep. This time, though, they loaded the DVD with all sorts of goodies. The Blu-ray version will become a POP Culture collector item.

4.0 out of 5 stars another great DC effort, Feb. 28 2010
i gotta say, DC continues to impress with their animated offerings.i
liked everything about this latest offering.not only was the story
really good,but the voice acting was stellar in my mind.the fight
scenes were spectacular,but they didn't overpower the rest of the
movie.i also really liked the opening title sequence.i thought it
really stood out.the movie also had a dark edge to it,which i really
liked.definitely adult oriented,which suits me fine.all i can say is i
hope they keep up the quality and make sure the movies continue to have
the adult edge to them.as an aside,there's a great bonus short included
called The Spectre,which i recommend watching as well.for me,Justice
League: Crisis on Two Earths is a 4/5

3.0 out of 5 stars James Woods as Owlman - Buy It, Aug. 18 2014
This review is from: Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths (DVD)
If there's 1 thing this movie is missing, it's a real showdown between Superman and Ultraman. It's true that there are definitely plenty of battle scenes between the Justice League and the Crime Syndicate, but it's unresolved because of world-ending stuff. The real highlight is Batman vs. Owlman. My only complaint there is that it seems Owlman has too much of an advantage over Batman. Don't get me wrong, I always enjoy seeing Batman unexpectedly lose and not win automatically "because he's Batman," but here it feels like it's just the opposite extreme. Maybe he was losing on purpose for the final turnaround. Still, it's worth owning if only because of James Woods as a sociopath.

4.0 out of 5 stars entertainment done best, April 9 2010
This review is from: Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths (DVD)
I had seen a few reviews on this item, most were positive, & I agree.
Story is engaging, without seeming like tooo much of a re-presentation of an old concept.
I could only wish that it were 20 minutes longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, Sept. 13 2010
I just received this DVD last week and have watched it at least 3 times. The bonus features are awesome! I liked how they went behind the scenes to promote the various straight to DVD movies that have come out such as Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Public Enemies (Batman/Superman), the latest Batman venture, Under the Red Hood, etc.

I also love the short film about the superhero Spectre. I never knew about this superhero before I saw this short. There is also a bonus 2 parter Justice Leaque of America film at the end on Disc 2.

A really good buy and I highly recommend it if you're into DC Comics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fan or not, you WILL enjoy this!!!, Feb. 1 2011
I am not a fan of the justice league or much cartoon movies. I am usually disappointed in what could have been a great movie/installement.

This movie, is not at all disappointing. I enjoyed it to its fullest and it made me want to buy the Justice League series and give it a go. The parallel universe is always a nice touch but not many can actually make it interesting to the end.

Tyr it, you will be surprise of how much you will actually come to enjoy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars crisis on two earths, May 20 2014
I liked the Justice League TV series more than the movie. In the series, there was also some episode that was similar to this movie. For this one, the villains did not appeal to me. If they were more similar in character to their counter parts, it may be more interesting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Expired Digital Copy, April 26 2014
The only thing I dislike frome it, is that the code for digital copy was expired.
Otherwise, the movie is very good!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love This CD!, March 13 2014
This CD is well-made: the story, the acting, the animation, the bonus features. You won't be disappointed! I wasn't! Excellent!

Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths by Sam Liu (DVD - 2010)
CDN$ 18.74 CDN$ 9.99