5.0 out of 5 stars Best Coffee I've ever had
There seem to be several Aeropress entries here in Amazon.ca but all of them are just slightly different packages with some extras. This review is about the Aeropress itself and the coffee it makes.

Published on Sept. 2 2011 by Julio Trujillo

3.0 out of 5 stars convenient, but never be able to reproduce the taste of stovetop one...
When I got into cafe latte, I wanted to make one at home so I got this one. However, even I'm using a same bean from my favourite cafe, I never be able to reproduce the same taste. I was still satisfied due to its convenience and compact size which doesn't take much my kitchen counter space until I found a stainless steel stovetop espresso maker. Now I only use a...
Published 18 months ago by Mickey

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Coffee I've ever had, Sept. 2 2011
This review is from: AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker with zippered nylon tote bag and an Extra 350 Micro Filters (700 Total) (Kitchen)

I have been using this "gadget" exclusively to make my morning coffee for 2 years now and I can say without any reservation that this makes coffee that is at least as good as what you get from your favorite barista if not better. The defining characteristic of coffee brewed this way is that you get full flavour without the extra acidity and bitterness other methods produce.

At first glance this gadget looks like a slightly modified french-press with the addition of a filter and in a way it is. You can probably achieve similar results if you use a french press and then filter but not as easily and conveniently as you can with the Aeropress with its measure markers and syringe-like pressure extractor... and making coffee with this or any other method is all about the extraction.

Quote from Wikipedia: "The AeroPress is a device invented in 2005 that combines steeping and pressure. Hot water is poured onto ground coffee, similarly to a French press, but soon after the coffee is forced through a paper microfilter using pressure. This filter allows a finer grind and removes more of the sediment than the stainless steel mesh filter of a French press."

I have learned over time that it pays to follow the enclosed instructions and the closer you are to doing it the recommended way, the better your coffee will be. Here's what I do:

1. I use freshly ground Espresso (or a similar dark coffee like French roast... it also works well with lighte roasts so don't be afraid to experiment) ground in a burr grinder. (In my case I use the Breville Conical Burr Grinder BCG450XL which I find to be the most reliable and easy to maintain burr grinder...I've used several.)

2. I use water at the recommended temperature: definitely NOT boiling water. I use a Cuisinart CPK-17C Programmable Kettle set to 170° with just enough water for quicker heating. You could also use a cheaper kettle or microwave to do this by timing and taking the temperature until you figure out the time required to achieve 170°... I just find the programmable kettle simpler.

3. I set my timer (my microwave sits just above my coffee station so no sweat) for 1 minute, pour THE CORRECT AMOUNT OF WATER as marked on the Aerobie, start the timer, stir with the included paddle for 15 seconds and when the timer goes off, I push the plunger to complete the extraction. Note: a small amount of gravity-fed extraction has already happened through the filter before you push the plunger. This is normal and nothing to worry about.

4. You can either drink this extraction as a delicious espresso-like brew or, as I typically do, convert it to an Americano by adding just enough water.

I typically grind 2 scoops (included scoop) of beans for my mugs but this is something you'll need to adjust for yourself based on your personal preference--I like a strong cup.

You may be skeptical (as I was at first) but this contraption is cheap enough that I thought it was worth a try. I used the same amount of coffee and same amount of water and brewed a mug using my old drip coffee maker and the Aerobie and then tasted them both: the difference was like night and day and I was immediately convinced.

My apologies for the length of this review but this little gadget is worth reviewing well. I hope my tips above help you use it to its full advantage.

5.0 out of 5 stars kick-butt!, Aug. 16 2011
Makes delicious coffee. Highly recommended.

Pros:

* minimal, spare styling
* efficient, innovative mechanism
* creates unusually and unexpectedly tasty coffee
* filters are very cheap, and are reusable
* comes with a funnel (reduces coffee-ground mess), and a spoon-wedge-thingy (for both cleanup and measurement)
* sturdy construction will last longer than I will.
* once you know how you like your coffee, it reproduces a specific flavour with more precision than a Bodum, and leaves less coffee oil in the coffee than a Bodum.
* comes with a lid that's convenient for making cold-brewed coffee in your fridge overnight (google it, it's delish!)

Cons:

* Is this food-safe plastic? Sort of felt a lot like old-school Nalgene plastic. Oh well, 30s of exposure to miniscule amounts of BPA in the worst case is harmless, and it's almost certainly not BPA-contaminated because it's being sold in Canada, and that would be illegal. So this is me just being a worry-wart.

* Obviously, as with a Bodum, coffee water must be heated beforehand. Kettle works, but if you're fussy about coffee, you should get some heating magigger that has a configurable temperature, because coffee flavour is highly sensitive to water temperature. (Too far above 85C and it'll begin tasting more bitter.) I happen to have a very nice Tiger water boiler that can be set to whatever temperature I please, and I geek out at getting to try different temperatures, beans, amounts of coffee, and 'soak time' (how long you leave the hot water in the tube before pressing it through the coffee)

* Um... it's not free? ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Low-Tech Manual Coffee Maker, Sept. 26 2011
Saw a young man using this in Algonquin Park last year and since we live in an area of Ontario that is subject to power outages during storms, I wanted to see if this would provide good coffee without electricity. I was so amazed by the quality of the coffee produced by this coffee press, I have given one to my sister-in-law for her birthday and one to each of my kids in college. My sons appreciate the quality of the coffee and I appreciate a coffee maker that doesn't involve a heating element that they might forget to turn off.

This is a win-win coffee maker!

5.0 out of 5 stars Aeropress..this is the best of small coffee maker!, April 27 2013
This is the best coffee maker around that you can take with you on the road or use in your kitchen if you do not have a high end espresso machine.
Be sure to follow the instructions to the tee. The water temperature is critical at 175 degrees. I measure it every time.

Be sure to use good quality water.(Brita is fine).

5.0 out of 5 stars simply fantastic, Feb. 27 2013
So simple to use, easy to clean, portable without fuss AND it makes the best damn coffee and espresso I have ever had (though I will add that's especially so when paired up with a reusable steel filter and all the delicious and beneficial oils get through). Good night percolator, sleep well old press, and so long to choking back sad excuses for espresso at branded cafes; the AeroPress is worth every penny they ask for it and more.

4.0 out of 5 stars My experience with the AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker, Feb. 21 2013
The AeroPress Coffee and Expresso Maker produces excellent coffee - rich flavor and not bitter. What I haven't liked about it is that when pressing the coffee through the apparatus, a small amount of coffee squirts out between the filter holder and the casing holding the coffee. So I have to place a paper towel below the coffee cup to capture the leaking coffee. I've tried grinding the coffee coarser and pressing slower, but this hasn't helped. The instructions say the pressing should take 20-30 seconds. I'm pressing for a period well over that and still getting leakage.

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes good coffee, Feb. 15 2013
It makes good coffee but I find the coffee isn't very hot once you make it. It is convenient for traveling

5.0 out of 5 stars Very easy...very good espresso, Jan. 12 2013
If you want restaurant quality espresso, you can, well go to a restaurant. But if you want a quick hit of smooth rich coffee goodness this will do the job nicely. Good tasting - easy to use. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Danceadream, Dec 28 2012
Amazing! It's the way coffee should be experienced! I usually drink my coffee with milk and sugar but when I make it with the aero press, I do not add anything because the coffee is perfect on its own!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best coffee you will ever taste!, Nov. 6 2012
When it comes to coffee, I was always searching for the best coffee taste and my search evolved between trying different coffee machines, different coffee beans, coarse vs regular coffee and so on... Until I read a review online about the AeroPress system and decided to spend 40 bucks on it. I can easily say, those are the best 40 bucks I spent to date on coffee machines, this is the best and easiest way to make the best tasting coffee ever!! It's very very close to espresso machines, without paying thousands of dollars, and best of all, no electricity needed, super fast cleaning (less than 30 seconds to clean it all), very fast to prepare (heat water in a kettle before, and it takes less than a minute for your coffee to be fully ready (adding cream and sugar time included). I own a high quality coffee machine, a french press, and now I'm not using them anymore. And the best of all, this AeroPress comes with a nice zipper bag, and I take it with me when I travel. Absolutely portable and you have your own amazing coffee anywhere anytime! And it's made in the U.S.A., not even in China (with respect to Chinese made products). I definitely recommend it, especially if you want to give it as a gift.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›