5.0 out of 5 stars Even my three-year old likes this one!
A sweet, bright and cheerful movie for adults and kids alike. You will be amazed at the attention to detail in both the artistry and the characters. Miyazaki studies his medium from every angle, and presents a piece of artwork that is beautiful to behold.
Published 20 months ago by Michael Van Boom

3.0 out of 5 stars Ce n'est pas le meilleur de Miyasaki
J'écris au nom de mon fils et moi qui sommes des fans invétérés de Hayao Miyasaki!!
Totoro est bien, mais n'atteint pas Princesse Mononoke, Chihiro, Ponyo, Laputa, Le Château Ambulant...
Le personnage et l'univers de Totoro est très peu présent, et c'est ce qui me peine.
Published 16 months ago by catherine hamel stronikowski

5.0 out of 5 stars Even my three-year old likes this one!, Nov. 27 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful family entertainment, Dec 28 2010
This review is from: My Neighbor Totoro (2-Disc Special Edition) (DVD)
I've owned this movie for at least 10 year and my children and I have watched it over and over as they have grown. I have just bought extra copies for my young nieces. It's charming and funny and will entertain anyone from about age 4 up. The key elements of the story line are easy to follow and the children in the movie do some of the strange little things that kids do when confronted with unusual situations, which make them seem real and endearing. Sometimes the translated dialogue comes out a little clumsy, but for me, it adds to the charm.

Don't worry if you are not a fan of anime or are turned off by the coarse looking character animation -- by about 15 mins into the movie you won't even care. This is classical animation, not multi-billion polygon computer animation, and Miyazaki and his animators create gorgeous backgrounds that capture glorious mixes of form and shadow for their characters to play in. My kids and I have often commented when traveling, "Those look like Totoro clouds" or "Camphor tree!! Camphor tree!!".

Pick up this classic - you won't be disappointed!

3.0 out of 5 stars Ce n'est pas le meilleur de Miyasaki, March 25 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best family movies of all time!, March 21 2013
John Thomas Anderson (Southern Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Back when this movie first came out; the late Gene Siskell and his buddy Roger Ebert reviewed this movie and called it quite possibly the best family movie ever made! And despite all the additional movies that have been produced since then - IT STILL IS!

What makes this movie so good? Made by Studio Gibli and it's co-founder, Hayao Miyazaki (called the Walt Disney of Japan). It's a virtually perfect blend of family, detail and fantasy all rolled into one! It starts out with two sisters and their father moving into a run-down rural house that they've rented for the summer. Then slowly ups the ante that there may be more to this house than meets the eyes as the little sister starts to see little critters that no one else can see! She's absolutely adorable.

In fact this is one of the best parts of Ghibli movies; their characters are all so absolutely real. The little sister looks like, acts like, throws tantrums like, explores like just any little pre-schooler would. Then throw in the older sister who's trying to take care of her, the house and their father while their mother is away in the hospital fighting some unknown illness and you can just feel the realism and the family dynamics. Then when the older sister also starts to see things that shouldn't exist and discovers the guardian of the forest is a big gentle giant by the name of Totoro; it really gets to be both exciting and fun at the same time with magical cat buses, dust bunnies that can actually move and all sorts of magical adventures!

The other thing I like about this and later Ghibli movies like Kiki's Delivery Service, Arrietty, Whisper of the Heart and Ponyo (all of which I highly recommend) is that these movies don't fall back on the usual stereotypes of some despicable villain that has to be fought and stopped. Or everything always has to be settled with a fight. Instead they have lots of action, wonderful discoveries at every turn; but no villain! There is a major problem to be solved, friends to be rescued or helped, but things don't have to be settled with violence! That is so refreshing at times.

This is one of those rare family movies that adults will like equally with their kids. And even today with the thousands of movies I've seen; this is still and always will be one of my absolute favourites. Five stars all the way!

J. A.

P.S. - Don't confuse this Disney version of Totoro with an older Pan and Scan version that was originally marketed over ten years ago by Fox. This is a top quality 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen and looks superb in either dvd or BD versions. Reviews that talk about it being cut are referring to the older no-longer sold Fox version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool story, Feb. 23 2013
This review is from: My Neighbor Totoro (2-Disc Special Edition) (DVD)
This was a fantastic movie for our family. It started a fantastic dialogue about the differences in how we percieve trolls and how this movie portrayed one. My son loved the cat bus. We thought it would be great to ride in one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite movie, Dec 15 2012
This review is from: My Neighbor Totoro (2-Disc Special Edition) (DVD)
This is a beautiful and well done movie. I have watched it many times. Love the playful way it engages with spirituality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, Feb. 23 2012
Great animation movie.
The world that only kids can see, feel catches children's attention.
When my nephew was very little, she'd been watching repeatedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Miyazaki: gentle genius, Dec 30 2011
charlie1406000 (Vancouver Island Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Neighbor Totoro (2-Disc Special Edition) (DVD)
Director Miyazaki's charmer crosses cultural and ethnic boundaries with grace and has universal appeal. Much better for small children than Spirited Away and some of his later work. For me it is the all-time best family animated movie. I still get a lump in my throat every time I watch it and my grand-daughters love it and search for acorns from Totoro in the back yard. They asked me to go inside so Totoro would show up because only children get to hang out with him. And who knows, he may be sitting in the top branches of the Oak tree in our back yard in the Pacific Northwest tossing acorns down for the girls to find. The movie is charming, funny and moving and shows a slice of country life in Japan that is inviting and beautiful.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Animation -- Unforgivable Treatment, Feb. 21 2003
Lawrence J. Keel (Anaheim, California, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Neighbour Totoro (DVD)
My Neighbor Totoro is one of the greatest animated films ever produced (for children or otherwise). It is a film that devoted fans such as myself love sharing with children and friends (I even teach it in my Children's Literature class.)
----The delicacy of Hayao Miyazaki's tale of two young girls who must cope with the stresses of moving to a new house, neighborhood and school--while their mother is kept in a hospital for a problem they do not understand!--is extraordinarily well-told through delightful and surprising events and beautiful animation. That the girls need the friendship and support of their father, the neighbors and the Totoros (friendly nature spirits) is subtly presented and then heroically answered through Miyazaki's unforgettable imagery.
---But you'll have to trust me on that because a good portion of that imagery has been butchered away through the pan-and-scan process. Not only have the producers of this DVD version cut away much of the visuals but they have also left off the Japanese language track and given us a rather pale transfer.
----English speaking kids deserve to see this better-than-Disney film. They deserve to view the widescreen version and they deserve the option of hearing the dubbed version (if they cannot yet read) OR hearing it in it's original language while reading subtitles. A quality production would offer these things and more.
----This DVD offers a Masterpiece, but a badly Mistreated one----

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing else like it, May 20 2014
This review is from: My Neighbor Totoro (2-Disc Special Edition) (DVD)
A beautifully told story of friendship. Fantastic animation, voice characterization and music. Great escape into a world full of magical and humorous occurrences.

My Neighbor Totoro (2-Disc Special Edition)
My Neighbor Totoro (2-Disc Special Edition) by Hayao Miyazaki (DVD - 2010)
CDN$ 32.99 CDN$ 24.97