5.0 out of 5 stars Kiki Delivers
Published on April 12 2004 by Denny Vu Quach

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT THE SAME AS THE ORIGINAL!!
Published 15 months ago by Jessie

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT THE SAME AS THE ORIGINAL!!, April 19 2013
This review is from: Kiki's Delivery Service (Special Edition) (DVD)
I purchased this DVD because I finally wore out my VHS copy. I LOVED this movie as a kid and still do today. Unfortunately, this edition leaves out A LOT of Gigi's (Kiki's cat) script. I got 30 min in and had to turn it off I was so disappointed. It is fine if you have never seen the movie before. Since I have seen it so many times, this issues really bothered me. I ended up purchasing an old version of the movie; 2003 I believe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kiki Delivers, April 12 2004
Denny Vu Quach (California, GG USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kiki's Delivery Service (DVD)
Face it: any kids' video you buy will be watched over and over, mostly in your presence. You want to choose carefully, since you will be spending so much quality time with this video. Kiki's Delivery Service won't disappoint you. This sweet, gentle movie is a coming-of-age story about Kiki, a 13-year-old witch-in-training. As part of said training, she is required to spend a year away from home practicing her craft. Her subsequent adventures are the subject of this endearing film by Japanese anime director Hayao Miyazaki. The animation is splendid, the casting mostly inspired (Kirsten Dunst, Janeane Garofalo, Debbie Reynolds, and even the late Phil Hartman as the voice of Kiki's companion cat). Unlike the standard Disney fare, this movie has no violence, no sex, no profanity, and not even a dysfunctional family.
The themes of Kiki's Delivery Service are noble ones. There are far worse ways to spend a few hours (or a few dozen) than watching a young girl make friends and gain self-confidence, especially one as appealing as Kiki. Buy yourself an extra copy of this video. When you wear the first one out watching it by yourself, you'll need the spare to placate the kids.

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable, Feb. 23 2013
This review is from: Kiki's Delivery Service (Special Edition) (DVD)
I got this movie for a family movie night and we all enjoyed it. The message of being yourself was beautifully done.

5.0 out of 5 stars love Ghibili, Jan. 12 2013
This review is from: Kiki's Delivery Service (Special Edition) (DVD)
Another great movie for Ghibili. A great story for the whole family. W would recommend any of these Ghibili movies to any parent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this movie, May 20 2014
This review is from: Kiki's Delivery Service (Special Edition) (DVD)
A beautifully told story of friendship and trust. Fantastic animation, voice characterization and music. Great escape into a world full of magical and humorous occurrences.

5.0 out of 5 stars So precious, Feb. 3 2014
This review is from: Kiki's Delivery Service (Special Edition) (DVD)
I love this movie an was so glad to see it for sale, it came really fast and is in great shape. the seller contacted me to make sure I read the description and knew that there was a missing disk. I really appreciated it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of many perfect films from Studio Ghibli, Sept. 1 2013
Steven Aldersley (Oshawa, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Kiki's Delivery Service (Special Edition) (DVD)
On the day that I learned of the impending retirement of Hayao Miyazaki, I wanted to take the time to review yet another Studio Ghibli title. But before I do, I'd like to pay tribute to the great Japanese director.

If I think about my favorite directors, Miyazaki would be high on the list. He might not be number one, but he's probably brought me more pure joy than any other director. Miyazaki has 11 features to his credit as a director, along with several shorts and TV series. He's also written screenplays for other Studio Ghibli directors, including Whisper of the Heart, From Up on Poppy Hill and The Secret World of Arrietty.

All of those movies have the unmistakable Miyazaki feel. His films usually feature strong female characters, elements of fantasy, and a feeling of innocence and purity that is lacking in animated films from other studios. I'm happy that he can finally enjoy his retirement, but I'm sad that the upcoming The Wind Rises will be his last film.

But let's talk about Kiki's Delivery Service.

Although my favorite Studio Ghibli title changes depending on my mood, Kiki's Delivery Service is one of several titles from the studio that I would rate as perfect. Kiki (Kirsten Dunst) is a 13-year-old witch who is about to leave home for one year to further her training. She takes Jiji (Phil Hartman), her black cat, and finds a town where she can settle. Her mother makes potions, but Kiki is unsure what services she will provide, until an opportunity presents itself. She returns a pacifier to a young mother and realizes that she can make her living by flying all over town to deliver other items.

Like most Ghibli worlds, the people in Kiki's new town are kind and generous. She's given a place to stay by Osono (MacNeille), who runs the local bakery. In return, she'll mind the store on occasion and deliver things for its customers. The locals are all impressed by her ability to fly, but it's her character that eventually charms most of them. She's simply a good person, and everyone she comes into contact with likes her.

One boy. Tombo (Matthew Lawrence) develops a crush the moment he sees her, and tries to get to know her better as the story progresses. Like Hayao Miyazaki, Tombo has a fascination with flying. He's trying to build a machine that will do just that, and he's eager to show his work to Kiki.

There are no villains of any kind, but the story does contain moments of peril. However, I would recommend Kiki's Delivery Service to anyone, whether they are four years old or over 80. It's the kind of movie that will make you smile right from the start, and keep delighting you throughout the 103 minutes. Phil Hartman has most of the best lines, and some of his remarks provide the funniest moments.

I recently loaned the movie to a friend and her 5-year-old insisted on watching it three times. As soon as I got it back, I was compelled to watch it again myself.

There is no North American Blu-ray at the time of writing, but you can import it from Japan if you require a Region A disc. It's also available in other parts of the world, including the UK (Region B locked). I suspect a North American release will happen next summer.

I'll close by thanking Hayao Miyazaki for Kiki's Delivery Service and the many other memorable titles he has been involved with. I can't imagine another animation studio coming close to his lofty achievements.

Overall score 5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Story for all ages, beautiful and riveting!, April 17 2013
WesternWilson (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kiki's Delivery Service (Special Edition) (DVD)
This lovely visual feast tells a sweet coming of age story about how we find out vocation in life and how we sustain the spiritual wellsprings. Absolutely delightful, and amen to the fact there is no sex, no darkness, no dysfunction. Luminous. We and the kids, and the nephews and nieces have watched it many times...never boring.

2.0 out of 5 stars what is wrong with Buena Vista?, May 14 2000
This review is from: Kikis Delivery Service (VHS Tape)
Do they think that american audience cannot watch a movie inits whole integrity without modification and alteration to it? Thejapanese do not do that to american movies so why should we? Do weneed to exerce our american imperialism on everything (it was awful years ago when they truncated some of Nausicaa's scenes)? They may tell that it is because it is aimed at children, but that is not true at all, it is for all the generations. My two star-rating is justified by the fact that KDS is my favorite movie and anime (because sometimes we are Kiki, look at the different angles used, we have some scenes from her point of view)and I cannot stand the american english dubbing. For me, a masterpiece stays a masterpiece when it stays true to its original. In my opinion the american version does not respect the aura of the original. I watched it yesterday while babysitting five kids and boy, it was torture. Having seen the original hundreds of time, I could not recognize the characters I grew to admire. I do not need famous actors to dub a movie, I need actors competent enough to give me a felling of "deja-vu". Kiki, in the original version, does not act japanese, she acts like a european countryside young girl of the mid-50's: respectful, naive, unsecure and still cheerful. The Kiki voiced by Dunstan acts american (the script is at some point typically modern american: do you need to use the word "cop" instead of "policeman"?)and speaks the way american teenagers speak today. I am just like where is "dulce y gentil" Kiki? Furthermore, the choice of Hartman (excuse my spelling) for the part of Jiji is inadequate. ... the character of Jiji completely changed and there I was, watching another movie or let's say a TV sitcom: Sabrina the witch. Jiji and Sabrina' s black cat have nearly the same sarcastic attitude and mature voice. KDS' silent moments filled with artificial music (some being similar to the magic and spell music effect of STW) put me off. They have put Hisaishi's music to the second rank. First of all I could not hear it well so much it was lowered. In the original, it is played loud enough so that it sets the mood for a specific scene (Fox did the same with my neighbor Totoro: compare the versions of the scene of the growing tree). Imagine the impact on me: the emotion I felt was different. All in all, I gave two stars to the american english dubbed version because I think: 1)it is good that we have now the opportunity to let our children dream and be aware of such a marvellous piece of animation, 2) Buena Vista had the courtesy to release it in its original and true version, well subtitled. Please Buena Vista, for Laputa and Porco Rosso, stay true to the original, I do not need to feel at home in a movie, quite on the contrary, I want to be transported in another time, another place, another magic world, I need to feel all the culture difference. I can only get all of these when I watch a movie in the original spirit it was conceived (Even Miramax did a better job with Princess Mononoke).

5.0 out of 5 stars thrilling for everyone, Sept. 15 2011
This review is from: Kiki's Delivery Service (Special Edition) (DVD)
i got this movie for my son becouse he LOVES ponyo and i know miuzaki is a god of film and i was not disapointed. this is one of the pest animated movies ive seen and i was raised on the age of the lion king
please if you love movies get this and ponyo you wont regret it

Kiki's Delivery Service (Special Edition)
Kiki's Delivery Service (Special Edition) by Hayao Miyazaki (DVD - 2010)
CDN$ 35.99 CDN$ 29.97