4.0 out of 5 stars A film to get you thinking about the End Times
2012 is a good film, made by the director of The Day after Tomorrow and Independence Day - you know you'll get some good action shots.

Published on Aug. 18 2010 by Matthew John

3.0 out of 5 stars it was entertaining
Published on March 7 2010 by falcon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A film to get you thinking about the End Times, Aug. 18 2010
This review is from: 2012 (Bilingual) (DVD)

The world is about to end and only the rich can be saved - as secret ships are built by the Chinese and paid for by the Billionaires of the earth and major heads of nations met in secret in 2009 and decide on their course of action. In 2012 the catastrophe begins as the earth begins to boil and the the earth crust begins to collapses. The world as we know it is about to end and nobody can stop it!

The CGI is good, as well as the acting, though some of the shots are too far fetching, though thankfully, the man who flew the plane had a 'few' lessons instead of practising on his Play Station as in other movies!

A handful of ordinary people (the central characters) manage to fly to safety, one step at a time and tries to seek a refugee on the big ships so that life can be preserved. The film is good and reminded me of the devastation described the book of Revelation as found in the Holy Bible, just before Jesus Christ's second coming. A film to get you thinking about the End Times

4.0 out of 5 stars BIG! HUGE! COLLASSAL! GIGANTIC and UTTERLY MASSIVE!, Jan. 18 2010
4.5 out of 5

The Mayans warned us thousands of years ago that 2012 would mark the end of the world as we know it.

They were right.

We just didn't listen.

Jackson Curtis (John Cusack), separated dad and smalltime novelist, goes for the ride of his life when him and his family are caught up in the end of the world in the year 2012.

Dr. Satnam Tsurutani (Jimi Mistry) stumbled onto the truth of what was really happening to the earth back in 2009. He showed his friend and colleague Adrian Helmsley (Chiwetel Ejiofor), who in turn told Carl Anheuser (Oliver Platt), who in turn told the President (Danny Glover). Plans were made. Research done. Even some advancements were made . . . but all for naught.

Catching wind from lunatic conspiracy theorist and radio broadcaster Charlie Frost (Woody Harrelson) that all the rich folks in the world plus those who would create the perfect gene pool were to be held up in a series of arks till the disasters ran their course, Jackson Curtis takes his family on an adventure to head them off and get onboard themselves.

Disaster after gigantic natural disaster ensues and the Curtis family narrowly escapes with their lives, that is, until they find the arks somewhere in China and learn that the powers that be have other plans in mind for humanity's survival.

If there was any one word that I would use to describe this film, it would be "big." Actually, not just "big," but "BIG!!!!" HUGE! COLLASSAL! GIGANTIC and UTTERLY MASSIVE!

At the time of this review, this movie is still in the theatre. It definitely is a must-see-at-the-theatre movie. You need that big screen and surround sound to do it justice.

Everything is big scale in this one: the collapsing buildings, the giant earthquakes, the mountains crumbling, land folding over itself and falling a zillion feet to the earth's core, the tsunamis, the dust clouds--the list is endless, and everything is done HUGE. The whole time I was just sitting there with my mouth hanging open going, "Whoa . . . whoa . . ."

Sure, there are a few convenient plot devices and a few impossible odds are overcome, but I went into this thing expecting a popcorn blockbuster with over-the-top special effects and that is exactly what I got. I left the theatre with a huge smile on my face.

Though I personally don't buy into the world ending in 2012, this is still one worth seeing.

Go see it. You'll love it. Good times for all.

A.P. Fuchs
Canister X

3.0 out of 5 stars it was entertaining, March 7 2010
This review is from: 2012 (Bilingual) (DVD)
if nothing else,this end of the world flick form disaster specialist Roland Emmerich was entertaining.there sure was a lot of CGI used here.in fact probably ninety percent of the movie is comprised of it. December 21,2012 is the day that the Mayans predict a cataclysmic event will occur on earth,which has led to speculation that the world as we know will cease to exist.the movie only makes passing reference of the Mayan's,and instead just focus on on the destruction and mayhem side of things.maybe it's just me,but the special effects don't seems to have improved much in the last six years or so since the The Day After Tomorrow another big budget disaster opus,also from Roland Emmerich,which had a nearly comparable amount of CGI.or maybe i'm just jaded,and CGI really isn't that exciting more.either way,2012 failed to fully engage me,on an excitement level.the movie does however,has one thing in its favour.unlike many flicks of the genre,there were no real maudlin or sappy moments,no over the top corn ball inspirational speeches.and i loved Woody Harrelson's character.i also thought Thandie Newton was good as well.the movie wasn't boring.and for a movie that clocks in at 150 minutes before the end credits roll,that's something.for me,2012 is a 3/5

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, April 5 2010
R. Kendall "Seamonster" (Manitoba, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 2012 (Bilingual) (DVD)
If you're looking for lots of CGI special effects, then you'd enjoy this movie. If you're looking for plot and character development, then you'll be disappointed as I was. I'm a big fan of disaster movies and have a good collection of them but this one was a disappointment. I did enjoy the special effects even though many of them were over the top in places.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 12 2014
This review is from: 2012 [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
Superbe couleur et détail impressionnant sur une Samsung UN60F8000 et un lecteur blueray de la PS3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent movie!, Jan. 29 2014
Aquarius Lady (New Brunswick, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 2012 (Bilingual) (DVD)
I loved this movie and have been watching it quite a few times already. It was well done, great story and the stunts were awesome. Great cinematography in my opinion. Loved it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Laughable, Nov. 4 2013
Leigh - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: 2012 [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
I discovered this movie while flipping through the channels one afternoon. I had watched documentaries about 2012 and decided it might be interesting to see Hollywood's take on the Mayan predictions. I struggled through the beginning of the movie during which I didn't really understand what was happening. There was a very deep mine in India where concerns were raised about the earth's temperature and then some people were stealing art and finally someone got blown up in a tunnel, but they didn't all connect together and I had no clue what the point of it was. After that it basically just went down hill. I'm not sure if it was bad acting, I think it was just bad writing, even the most talented actors can't do much with those lines. The main characters always seemed to just escape death each time by seconds, I actually stopped paying attention during these scenes and went about doing housework and even took out a book and started to read. But there was something about this movie that held onto me and I was curious to see if it got better, or worse. It grew more implausible as time went on and at times I found myself laughing at how ridiculous it all was. The characters fit stereotypes, my favourite being the Russian man, but there were others as well. Loved how it was a typical America is the center of the world you won't survive without us movie. Everyone remember the end of the world will start in California and apparently slowly make it's way around the world, allowing several people to be able to escape to safety on the other side of the world but only by mere seconds, in a limo, RV or small airplane. I decided on two stars because even though overall the movie was terrible, it killed some time and was so awful in parts it got me up and moving and helped me to get some house work done. It also cracked me up whenever something stupid or clichéd was said or mentioned. But the best part of this movie was getting to read the reviews on the internet from others who also didn't like this movie some amazon reviewers are very funny and talented and would've done an better job with this movie script. In hindsight I wish I read those reviews before I decided watching 2012 was a good way to spend an afternoon.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hollywood hyperbole, Aug. 26 2013
James Field "jamesfield10" (New Westminster, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 2012 (Bilingual) (DVD)
Good special effects, high production value and non-stop action. Yes, and even some good acting. I loved Wooky Harrelson's mad radio host routine, even if it was a little over the top. But the writers were pretty ham fisted sometimes with their outrun the fireball/volcano/earthquake/tidal wave/falling sky scraper routine. How many times can they juice this thing? By the time John Cusack crawled out of the crevice that had just swallowed him up and made a run for the apirplane that was already taking off I had had enough. Obviously subtlty was not one of the producers virtues. The part about the mutant neutrinos had me rolling my eyes, but I since found out that is not so far fetched. There really are such things. So the writers must have at least done some research. But the idea of selling seats on the ark to the rich and powerful was ludicrous. I have no doubt that if it came to the end of the world the rich and powerful would all be rushing to make sure they were at the front of the line, but why in the name of heaven would governments of the world need their money. It's the end of the world, remember. Governments can print money. Who's going to worry about inflation or debt? I went into this in the full expectation that I had a couple hours to waste. So I got what I expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars damage, June 5 2013
This review is from: 2012 (Bilingual) (DVD)
It was a good movie but was damaged, part of the movie did not read well, cut or skip to bad it happen, every time had to go back to not miss the whole movie...

4.0 out of 5 stars Is it Real or is it Pretend?, June 23 2010
Peter Browne (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 2012 [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
The film kept you going and on edge! But, did anyone stop to consider that there is something going on we're not being told about? Or, in this case we are! Put the message out as a Movie, and when Disaster hits, and people question `Why were we not Told?' You were Told: you just thought it was a movie! Look around you and see the lead ups to Dec 21, 2012 as fortold! More violent storms, increasing volcanic activity, earthquakes and people killing people - for what? Go back and watch again and see if you understand the 2012 Movie a little better this time! An Earthquake hits Canada, just as I'm writing this up - coincidence or what?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2012 [Blu-ray] (Bilingual)
2012 [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) by Roland Emmerich (Blu-ray - 2010)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 8.99