4.0 out of 5 stars BIG! HUGE! COLLASSAL! GIGANTIC and UTTERLY MASSIVE!
4.5 out of 5

The Mayans warned us thousands of years ago that 2012 would mark the end of the world as we know it.

They were right.

We just didn't listen.

Published on Jan. 18 2010 by A.P. Fuchs, author of The Axio...

2.0 out of 5 stars Laughable
Published 11 months ago by Leigh

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars BIG! HUGE! COLLASSAL! GIGANTIC and UTTERLY MASSIVE!, Jan. 18 2010
4.5 out of 5

They were right.

We just didn't listen.

Jackson Curtis (John Cusack), separated dad and smalltime novelist, goes for the ride of his life when him and his family are caught up in the end of the world in the year 2012.

Dr. Satnam Tsurutani (Jimi Mistry) stumbled onto the truth of what was really happening to the earth back in 2009. He showed his friend and colleague Adrian Helmsley (Chiwetel Ejiofor), who in turn told Carl Anheuser (Oliver Platt), who in turn told the President (Danny Glover). Plans were made. Research done. Even some advancements were made . . . but all for naught.

Catching wind from lunatic conspiracy theorist and radio broadcaster Charlie Frost (Woody Harrelson) that all the rich folks in the world plus those who would create the perfect gene pool were to be held up in a series of arks till the disasters ran their course, Jackson Curtis takes his family on an adventure to head them off and get onboard themselves.

Disaster after gigantic natural disaster ensues and the Curtis family narrowly escapes with their lives, that is, until they find the arks somewhere in China and learn that the powers that be have other plans in mind for humanity's survival.

If there was any one word that I would use to describe this film, it would be "big." Actually, not just "big," but "BIG!!!!" HUGE! COLLASSAL! GIGANTIC and UTTERLY MASSIVE!

At the time of this review, this movie is still in the theatre. It definitely is a must-see-at-the-theatre movie. You need that big screen and surround sound to do it justice.

Everything is big scale in this one: the collapsing buildings, the giant earthquakes, the mountains crumbling, land folding over itself and falling a zillion feet to the earth's core, the tsunamis, the dust clouds--the list is endless, and everything is done HUGE. The whole time I was just sitting there with my mouth hanging open going, "Whoa . . . whoa . . ."

Sure, there are a few convenient plot devices and a few impossible odds are overcome, but I went into this thing expecting a popcorn blockbuster with over-the-top special effects and that is exactly what I got. I left the theatre with a huge smile on my face.

Though I personally don't buy into the world ending in 2012, this is still one worth seeing.

Go see it. You'll love it. Good times for all.

A.P. Fuchs
Canister X

4.0 out of 5 stars A film to get you thinking about the End Times, Aug. 18 2010
This review is from: 2012 (Bilingual) (DVD)
2012 is a good film, made by the director of The Day after Tomorrow and Independence Day - you know you'll get some good action shots.

The world is about to end and only the rich can be saved - as secret ships are built by the Chinese and paid for by the Billionaires of the earth and major heads of nations met in secret in 2009 and decide on their course of action. In 2012 the catastrophe begins as the earth begins to boil and the the earth crust begins to collapses. The world as we know it is about to end and nobody can stop it!

The CGI is good, as well as the acting, though some of the shots are too far fetching, though thankfully, the man who flew the plane had a 'few' lessons instead of practising on his Play Station as in other movies!

A handful of ordinary people (the central characters) manage to fly to safety, one step at a time and tries to seek a refugee on the big ships so that life can be preserved. The film is good and reminded me of the devastation described the book of Revelation as found in the Holy Bible, just before Jesus Christ's second coming. A film to get you thinking about the End Times

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 12 2014
This review is from: 2012 [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
Superbe couleur et détail impressionnant sur une Samsung UN60F8000 et un lecteur blueray de la PS3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent movie!, Jan. 29 2014
Aquarius Lady (New Brunswick, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 2012 (Bilingual) (DVD)
I loved this movie and have been watching it quite a few times already. It was well done, great story and the stunts were awesome. Great cinematography in my opinion. Loved it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Laughable, Nov. 4 2013
Leigh - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: 2012 [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
I discovered this movie while flipping through the channels one afternoon. I had watched documentaries about 2012 and decided it might be interesting to see Hollywood's take on the Mayan predictions. I struggled through the beginning of the movie during which I didn't really understand what was happening. There was a very deep mine in India where concerns were raised about the earth's temperature and then some people were stealing art and finally someone got blown up in a tunnel, but they didn't all connect together and I had no clue what the point of it was. After that it basically just went down hill. I'm not sure if it was bad acting, I think it was just bad writing, even the most talented actors can't do much with those lines. The main characters always seemed to just escape death each time by seconds, I actually stopped paying attention during these scenes and went about doing housework and even took out a book and started to read. But there was something about this movie that held onto me and I was curious to see if it got better, or worse. It grew more implausible as time went on and at times I found myself laughing at how ridiculous it all was. The characters fit stereotypes, my favourite being the Russian man, but there were others as well. Loved how it was a typical America is the center of the world you won't survive without us movie. Everyone remember the end of the world will start in California and apparently slowly make it's way around the world, allowing several people to be able to escape to safety on the other side of the world but only by mere seconds, in a limo, RV or small airplane. I decided on two stars because even though overall the movie was terrible, it killed some time and was so awful in parts it got me up and moving and helped me to get some house work done. It also cracked me up whenever something stupid or clichéd was said or mentioned. But the best part of this movie was getting to read the reviews on the internet from others who also didn't like this movie some amazon reviewers are very funny and talented and would've done an better job with this movie script. In hindsight I wish I read those reviews before I decided watching 2012 was a good way to spend an afternoon.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hollywood hyperbole, Aug. 26 2013
James Field "jamesfield10" (New Westminster, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 2012 (Bilingual) (DVD)
Good special effects, high production value and non-stop action. Yes, and even some good acting. I loved Wooky Harrelson's mad radio host routine, even if it was a little over the top. But the writers were pretty ham fisted sometimes with their outrun the fireball/volcano/earthquake/tidal wave/falling sky scraper routine. How many times can they juice this thing? By the time John Cusack crawled out of the crevice that had just swallowed him up and made a run for the apirplane that was already taking off I had had enough. Obviously subtlty was not one of the producers virtues. The part about the mutant neutrinos had me rolling my eyes, but I since found out that is not so far fetched. There really are such things. So the writers must have at least done some research. But the idea of selling seats on the ark to the rich and powerful was ludicrous. I have no doubt that if it came to the end of the world the rich and powerful would all be rushing to make sure they were at the front of the line, but why in the name of heaven would governments of the world need their money. It's the end of the world, remember. Governments can print money. Who's going to worry about inflation or debt? I went into this in the full expectation that I had a couple hours to waste. So I got what I expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars damage, June 5 2013
This review is from: 2012 (Bilingual) (DVD)
It was a good movie but was damaged, part of the movie did not read well, cut or skip to bad it happen, every time had to go back to not miss the whole movie...

4.0 out of 5 stars Is it Real or is it Pretend?, June 23 2010
Peter Browne (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 2012 [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
The film kept you going and on edge! But, did anyone stop to consider that there is something going on we're not being told about? Or, in this case we are! Put the message out as a Movie, and when Disaster hits, and people question `Why were we not Told?' You were Told: you just thought it was a movie! Look around you and see the lead ups to Dec 21, 2012 as fortold! More violent storms, increasing volcanic activity, earthquakes and people killing people - for what? Go back and watch again and see if you understand the 2012 Movie a little better this time! An Earthquake hits Canada, just as I'm writing this up - coincidence or what?

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie, June 10 2011
This review is from: 2012 [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
I've watched this movie 3 times. The first time I had to mute it as I don't like it when they try and get you "on the edge of your seat" with music. The 2nd time and 3rd time around I really enjoyed it. Totally fictional based on another "the world's gonna end" rumor. There's humor, special effects, jerks, heros, nice people, and comedians. You really need to watch it more than once. And finally, I'm buying it on BlueRay.

4.0 out of 5 stars OMG - It's the Queen!, April 10 2011
This review is from: 2012 (Bilingual) (DVD)
This is an almost totally ridiculous movie. I say "almost" because, you know what? I actually rather enjoyed it and found it very amusing in MANY places. Some of the science behind the story is a bit whacked - but some of it is right on the money. In these recent months of volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, tsunamis and other natural disasters, the paranoid among us must be having a field day stocking up on essentials (I'm not one of 'em - which may or may not be a good thing!) The special effects are all that one expects of a Roland Emmerich movie - over the top but well done for all that. The heroes are just like many of us - but braver. The villains are just like members of half the ruling governments across the globe (no favourites here). The acting...... well, this IS a special effects movie. The acting was not totally cheesy though. I am hoping that 2012 was not meant to be taken too seriously - because I didn't and, when I saw the Queen and corgis (with Philip in tow) boarding one of the arks - well ............ LOL. Blink and you'll miss it but it amused the heck out of me! Not a movie for everyone (not by a long shot) but, if you like "carnival "rides", this should satisfy!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2012 [Blu-ray] (Bilingual)
2012 [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) by Roland Emmerich (Blu-ray - 2010)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 7.96