4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful and gorgeous hybrid game
Published 12 months ago by braindata

3.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly what you'd expect, but close
I bought this game from Future Shop for next to nothing as I was interested in trying something I've never seen or heard of before and ENSLAVED fit that criteria to a T.

Published 20 months ago by Stu

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful and gorgeous hybrid game, March 26 2013
braindata (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Enslaved: Odyssey To The West (Video Game)
I got to play this game recently because of its discount price. It also came with a reputation while looking up games and game studios on Wikipedia. What attracts me to games like this is the beautiful art direction, but what got me hooked was the variety of gameplay: There is puzzle platforming; Sneaking (stealth); Hack & Slash, though not so much to make it painful; Racing; And, cover-based shooting. And overall it plays out very well, mixing up styles so that you never know what you will be doing next.

There is a little bit of gameplay padding but not enough to make it tedious. Andy Serkis as Monkey starts off well but his role loses steam towards the end. The welcome addition of Pigsy about three-fifths of the way in brings some charm and male rivalry but adds gameplay variety and depth. Pigsy also gives some company to what is a darker part of the game.

As a third-person game the camera is mostly free-moving but at some points it will lock into certain perspectives either for cinematic or gameplay reasons. Other times, like during the arena combat, the camera can lose sight of your combat enemy.

Enslaved is well worth playing. It's not perfect but what makes it fun and memorable far outweighs the issues.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly what you'd expect, but close, July 26 2012
Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Enslaved: Odyssey To The West (Video Game)

I ended up beating it in ~10 hours, which was almost too much, considering the sometimes monotonous gameplay and repetitiveness. You'll be mashing buttons quite a bit. However, there is a certain charm to this game that some people will admire; it's why I completed it instead of letting it collect dust on my shelf.

The premise: Our protagonist, Monkey (voiced by Andy Serkis), has awoken aboard a strange vessel with no memory of how he got there. He makes a dashing escape and comes in contact with a beautiful, tech-savvy female named Trip. While he is incapacitated, she equips him with a unique headband that has two interesting conditions: if Trip dies, Monkey dies; if Monkey ventures too far from Trip's geographical radius, he dies. Monkey is forced into assisting Trip in reaching her home and finding her father, who can shed some light on their situation. Monkey and Trip are likeable characters that compliment each other well; Trip is the brains and Monkey is the brawn. The connection they form throughout the game is rather touching and is what players will probably remember most.

There were interesting and funny moments in the game, but there was just too much of the same: enemies, tactics (or lack thereof), cinematics, etc. Monkey is limited to few melee attacks, but is also equipped with a staff that fires projectiles. However, ammunition for this 'gun' is quite limited: I found myself out of ammo for the majority of the game. What the game does excel in is its graphics and environment designs; it's really quite beautiful, especially for a game maxing out at 720p HD. Also, the voice acting is quite good considering that it suffered from a lack of marketing and attention.

Fighting is not the only form of battle: at one point Monkey is controlling a boat turret and firing at enemies on shore. There are other things as well but I won't mention too much here. There is a lot of wall-climbing and acrobatics which some players may have fun with. To reach certain areas Monkey will have to make the correct use of his surroundings. My main problem with this is that the game holds your hand (figuratively) a little too much; everything you can use to scale the environment is highlighted. There's basically zero free-roaming and each area is quite small. It's fun at first but eventually it wears on you.

One last thing that made me dislike this game: the ending. You'll see. I was rather disappointed with it and it prevented me from giving ENSLAVED a four-star review.

If you're a fan of beat-em-ups I'd recommend ENSLAVED, but only if you can purchase it for $14.99 or less. It's a great time-waster if you're looking for something that doesn't make you think too much or strain your abilities.

4.0 out of 5 stars Story driven romp., June 9 2012
Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Enslaved: Odyssey To The West (Video Game)
This is definitely a story driven game, which is exactly what I was after. Combat is simple, but combat is not the point of this game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story, Feb. 3 2011
Scott R. Lewis (Victoria, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Enslaved: Odyssey To The West (Video Game)
The game play is pretty good; it does get a tiny bit repetitive at points. What makes it a 5 star for me is the story, vary rarely does a videogame make me give a S**T about the main characters, in this game I honestly cared about there trials and tribulations. To the point where when I accidently broke the usb stick my save was on about 5 hours in, I didn't really mind starting from the beginning again, and that's saying a lot.

For the new price of $29-$39, it's a steal.

5 stars for story
4 stars for fun (only because its a tiny bit repetitive)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game, but not perfect, March 28 2011
Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Enslaved: Odyssey To The West (Video Game)
I had a blast with this game, awesome story, movie quality acting but flawed gameplay. It seems like they spent all their money on the acting, then the story, then "set design" then gameplay. It is great still though if that is the order you look for in a game (which I do). If you like games to be like 6 hour long movies that you get to help act out this is your thing, but it is a tad glitchy and the unreal engine that powers is still loves texture pop in but I loved it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Fun for the first hour, Jan. 16 2011
Yannick Messaoud (canada) - See all my reviews
Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Enslaved: Odyssey To The West (Video Game)
I downloaded the demo on xbox live, and was very pleased. The first stage you escape a crashing spaceship.

After an hour or so the game gets very repetitive and boring, you do the same things over and over again. The plateforming is done for you, you just click a button and monkey jumps by himself, you don't have full control like Prince of Persia.

I would tell anyone interested in buying the game to rent it first.

ARRAY(0xb46777c8)

Enslaved: Odyssey To The West
Enslaved: Odyssey To The West by Namco Bandai (Xbox 360)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 15.99