Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

on August 23, 2010
the camera works well for what it was intended, the outdoors. i have had it for about two months now, and have played around with most of the features and settings. these are some of the pros and cons i have found
pros: i really like the high def movies. there clear and there seemed to be no blur even though i was recording kids running.
good outdoor pictures, good underwater pictures, good fast action pictures the internal memory can hold quite a few pictures. i really like some of the special features like the pop art feature it saturates the pictures in colour. it also comes with a cd and when you download it on your computer it has lots of catogorizing options for your photos. you can tag faces, group them by subjust, location. you can also edit your pics on there too, but nothing compared to basic photoshop. the battery lasts pretty long too.
some cons are: not so great indoor pics. the auto face detection rarely works. althought the battery lasts a while, you need to plug it in to recharge it so buying a spare would be a good idea if you want to take it with you all day. the auto seeting doesnt always seem to pick the best setting for what your shooting, sometimes its best to manually pick your settings. the pictures are not as good quality as some other cameras in the same price range. there is some glare from the sun on the screen when shooting outside.
to finish i would like to say i have enjoyed this camera. we have dropped it and put it in the water and dont have to be worried about breaking it. if you dont really need a tough camera i would sujust you take the extra money you would spend for those features and maybe buy a regular better quality camera. if your looking for something that can handle hikes and the beach and snow and your kids then this is it, although if i could do it again i would have looked into the other olympus tough cameras and maybe the features that are not so great on this one would be better on the more expensive ones, as i think this is the cheapest priced one.
hope this helped you with your decision, also the us amozon had alot more reviews for products, so check there too!
on April 6, 2011
We took our new camera to Mexico to take advantage of the underwater feature. It takes great quality pics both in and out of the water. The number of options for shooting are amazing.

On the second last day (with the camera maybe 20 days old) it stopped taking pics. It would still take video but no stills.

There is little to no information online to help and no troubleshooting section of the manual. A software re-install did not help.

If you believe this is a one-off case (which I'm sure it is) then I would highly recommend this camera for the underwater feature alone.
on April 3, 2011
I bought this camera planning to use it for some underwater photos while snorkeling. This camera "worked" underwater for two days and about 40 minutes total time before it leaked and allowed a bit of water into the electronics. After that it no longer functioned, even after being dried out. I did not use the camera below 1 meter/3 feet of water. Looking at the camera's waterproof door mechanism you can easily see that it isn't securely waterproof. For real underwater use I would recommend something much better built.

Not only was it not waterproof, but of about 6 cameras I have owned in the past, this one is the worst overall. It takes >5 seconds to start up. It has trouble focusing in completely normal cases, and of course it doesn't have usable manual controls to focus either (not that you would do that anyway while in the water). The picture quality is very poor. Stay away from this waste of money.
on February 3, 2011
This camera is super fun. I didn't realize it would have the multi-capture option. It takes continuous shots when you want it to which allows you to create cool stop motion videos later on. The overall picture quality is not the greatest, but it's a sacrifice i was willing to make to get the waterproof feature.

The shipment did not come with a manual... but google has it all.
on March 7, 2011
I bought this because it can withstand being dropped, which is how I broke the previous camera.

The pictures from our recent family trip to England are a huge disappointment because of this camera. I'm so disappointed to have all those 'kodak moments' either under exposed (if there was the slightest shadow) or over-exposed and washed-out if there was any decent sunshine (a rare moment in England!)

I tried adjusting any and all settings to at least get a few decent photos from the trip, but couldn't solve the problems.

I've had quite a few point-and-click digital cameras over the years as I love new technology... I would have done MUCH better on this trip with my old Nikon from 2006!

I will be returning the camera for a refund.
on January 29, 2011
I got this a a replacement for a Kodak that fell out of my pocket on my motorcycle and was destroyed. It takes nice pictures and video with sound. Much better than the Kodak it replaced. The extra wide angle lense is great. The battery life is good but I still picked up a spare for road trips (they are cheap). It has a solid, quality feel to it; like most Olympus cameras I have used. I have used the camera in freezing temperatures with no problems. I have not tested the shock and water proofing yet, but will in the spring when biking season starts again. From the feel of it, I do not think I will be disappointed,
on January 11, 2011
I am really enjoying using this camera. It is easy to use and easy to access a wide variety of different settings. With no lenses to expand when taking pictures it is easy to take a quick shot and not miss it, such as of children or animals, even when zooming in. I find the quality of this camera to be excellent and pictures of very good quality. You can drop it and not worry as it is shockproof from 5 feet. It is also waterproof to 10 feet, so I don't need to worry about it getting slightly wet in the rain. I haven't tried it underwater yet. It is also good to -10 C. I highly recommend this camera.
on February 26, 2011
I bought this camera to upgrade on a Canon camera that I had. My old Canon was 7 megapixels, had 4X zoom, and had the HD video. This Olympus Stylus Tough 3000 looked just right, because it says it has all the same features, and it's waterproof, shockproof, and dustproof. Unfortunately, it isn't even close to the picture quality and ease of use that my Canon was. I have been familiarizing myself with the camera since it arrived, and I think I know everything it can do, and how to do it. The pictures usually come out blurry, no matter what I do for settings, the video was even blurry when I had the camera set to iauto. When I turn the camera on it takes to long to come on, and then you have to change settings to get the optimal picture. By this time of course, the moment has passed! The battery life is even disappointing. I regret selling my Canon to buy this "upgrade" Olympus Stylus Tough 3000.
on July 11, 2011
Waterproof cam wasn't so waterproof. Unfortunately this happened on vacation just after the one year warranty was up.

I bought the camera in 2010 for $200 on sale. Olympus offered me a refurb for $196...jerks.

Never again
on February 18, 2011
I am definitely not a photographer but having purchased this last month, I can definitely tell that the photos taken on this are much better than on my old Kodak Easyshare. For some reason there are less thumbs in my photos too which I attribute to the design! I like the software better as well but still learning it and the camera features.

The fact that it is waterproof saves some money since every trip involving water required the purchase of a disposable waterproof camera.

I can't wait to try it out when I am up North on the other coast in -30 degrees again.

So far, this is probably my favourite camera that I have ever owned.