4.0 out of 5 stars Before Coco was Coco
I purchased this Blue Ray for my wife's birthday not for myself. I must admit that I was expecting to be bored but when I sat down to watch it with my wife I was not, I found the movie held my interest all the way through. I found myself thinking "how is she going to go from this situation to become rich & famous". Well I found out, the beginning of it anyway.
The...
Published on April 28 2010 by Peter Burgess

3.0 out of 5 stars Koo Koo for Coco
Audrey Tautou is again fabulous onscreen as the tough as nails independent Coco Chanel. the movie follows her life right up to the point where she decides to actually become a fashion designer.

Published on April 10 2010 by Brian Maitland

4.0 out of 5 stars Before Coco was Coco, April 28 2010
Peter Burgess (Burlington, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coco Avant Chanel / Coco Before Chanel (Bilingual) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
The name was familiar to me, mostly from Chanel #5 I think, but I had no idea who she really was or her background (or age), & while I cannot speak to the historical accuracy the story was really fascinating.
Audrey Tatou's performance was outstanding, not at all the type of "cute" role I have seen her in before, but she pulled it off well. I like period films & I really enjoyed this. Out of 10 I would rate it a 8-9.

Be careful which edition you buy. Mistakenly I got the French edition with English subtitles. Since I read fast it was OK but subtitles really turn some people off so be careful, Amazon's decription is not too clear on this point.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Charming, April 13 2010
Coco Avant Chanel is a charming biographical film about the early life of Gabrielle (Coco) Chanel, tracing her early years from childhood abandoment at a convent, through to her time as a mistress of wealthy men. Coco Avant Chanel would be just an ordinary art house biopic except for the charming performance of the always lovely Audrey Tantou. As expected the look of the movie is wonderful. The costumes are especially well done and I loved the fact that the costume designer gave Chanel's early experiments with her personal style the feel of being handmade and improvised instead of being finished costumes. After all, this movie isn't just about Chanel's early love affairs but also dipictes of the evolution of the personal style of arguably fashion's great innovator. The film richly deserved the Oscar nomination for costume design.

3.0 out of 5 stars Koo Koo for Coco, April 10 2010
Brian Maitland (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

The sets look terrific and the acting throughout is superb. The ridiculous addition of a fictitious character who plays Coco's sister (in the extars you learn she's an amalgam of Coco's aunt and one of her sisters) to show Coco's gentle side was just plain silly. Given how dramatic Coco's life was it just seems as if the screenwriter and director fell back on some Hollywood tradition of thinking the actual true story of famous people's lives are not enough. The funny thing is this comes out of France of all places.

The extras feature lengthy interviews with the cast and crew. The version I had were the hearing impaired ones that had the various stage movements (i.e., [door closes], [footsteps heard], etc.) along with the subtitles.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really entertaining, July 26 2014
Very good adaptation of Coco Chanel's life, from an orphanage with her sister - through relationships, she showed determination to be independent and confident in herself and her talent. Audrey is such a fun actress to watch.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good film, Feb. 12 2014
Audrey does a great job and portrays Coco as a much nicer person than she is known to be. Beautiful photography.

1.0 out of 5 stars No English translation!, Oct. 22 2013
Maxisback (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I was sadly disappointed when I put this Blu-ray disk in my machine tonight because it had NO ENGLISH TRANSLATION of any kind!! Had I known this before I bought it, I never would have. There are English subtitles for the director & producer, but not for the movie at all. I am going to return it tomorrow!

3.0 out of 5 stars Just ok, April 21 2013
Okay movie, but it sure misses the story of a great woman during a time when women were a minority in the business world. It's more a story of her early beginings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Classy, Jan. 17 2013
The movie portrayed the times and challenges of her time with gracefullness and (it appears) with honesty. Audrey is always awsome! But we don't see her - we see Coco

5.0 out of 5 stars Audrey Tautou is wonderful!!, Aug. 6 2014
Janet Finlay (Las Cruces, New Mexico United States) - See all my reviews
A classic! Audrey Tautou is wonderful!!!! A good one to see time and again.

1.0 out of 5 stars NO ENGLISH!, Aug. 21 2014
It says it's bilingual but it's not, only french! I'm returning it.

Coco Avant Chanel / Coco Before Chanel (Bilingual) [Blu-ray]