4.0 out of 5 stars Good workout but don't expect pure yoga
I've been doing yoga for 22 years, but I'm not a purist. If you're used to true yoga (and kind of precious about it!), you may be frustrated by this workout. If you're familiar with yoga (beginner-intermediate level) and want a "power" version of it - more cardio, more reps - you'll like this DVD. I wouldn't call it a "meltdown" but it's definitely "power" [yoga]...
Published on Sept. 18 2010 by A. Grande

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Yoga
This is definitely not a yoga lesson... for someone who is used to practice yoga, this DVD is way too easy. This is for beguinners only, and not for yoga lovers...
Published 17 months ago by mloulap

4.0 out of 5 stars Good workout but don't expect pure yoga, Sept. 18 2010
A. Grande "AG" (Toronto, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Yoga Meltdown (DVD)

There are 2 x 30 minute workouts, Level 1 and 2. I found little difference in challenge between the two, actually, and do both back-to-back, despite the cool down and warm up twice over. As with all Jillian's DVDs, she offers ways to increase and decrease your level of intensity throughout. My only criticism of these workouts is I found that, after a few weeks and after the workouts became less challenging, I reached for them less and less often - which is not the case with some of her other DVDs (Hard Body, Ripped in 30). I don't think this is her strongest effort, but I do think it's a worthwhile DVD for anyone looking to try something new or curious about yoga - a ramped up version of it. If you are beginner or intermediate level in exercise, you will get a very good workout. If you are closer to intermediate-advanced, skip this - you will not be challenged enough. (Try her Extreme Shed & Shred DVD instead.)

5.0 out of 5 stars great yoga workout, March 10 2010
Under Ether - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Yoga Meltdown (DVD)
This is a really good yoga workout if you're looking to lose weight and tone your body. There are two 30 minute sections, so you can do one or both, if you want a longer workout. It's not easy, but it's effective. I am new to yoga and I found it easy to follow, Jillian is a great instructer and explains the moves efficiently, and also offers modified versions of the more difficult moves. Even after only a few times with this workout, I have noticed that I am stronger and moves that I was unable to do for more than a few seconds are now becoming easier. I can definately feel my body changing and it's a great feeling. I have Jillians other dvds and this is a definate favourite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome workout, May 11 2010
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Yoga Meltdown (DVD)
I bought this DVD after hearing raves from friends. I run 5 days a week, so Im in good shape endurance wise - I do yoga every now and then but I find the DVD's to be slow and sometimes boring.
This is NOT traditional yoga - its faster paced and completely different from anything Ive tried. Im in love with this workout, Jillian kicks my butt everytime!
Word of warning - level 2 is crazy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not typical Jillian, but you will still sweat!, March 8 2011
Anemone (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Yoga Meltdown (DVD)
If you are looking for a DVD to learn traditional yoga I suggest you look elsewhere. This is not it. This is a workout DVD.

First off, for anyone who is a serious yoga practitioner and bought this DVD, I think it should have been VERY obvious that this was NOT going to be real yoga. I mean, come on, it's Jillian Michaels! Were you really expecting traditional yoga? Being a former yoga practitioner (Ashtanga and Hatha) for several years, when I first saw this DVD I knew that this was going to be a workout and NOT the yoga I used to practice, without even reading any reviews or information on it. It was just so obvious, especially for anyone who knows anything about Jillian Michaels. If anything, I think the whole point of her creating this DVD was so that it wouldn't be traditional yoga.

That said, I have been working out with JM's other dvds for a while now and this one is definitely at a slower pace and not typical JM. However, even after working out with her other DVDs which are at a much higher intensity, I still sweat like crazy and am shaking through most of her "yoga" circuits becuase she is approaching the muscle groups from a different angle. I find this DVD great for in-between high-intensity workout days, but still allowing me to be challenged using a whole different workout method.

Basically, JM takes traditional yoga moves but spins them around to make you feel the burn. For example, instead of (in traditional yoga) going into warrior II and holding for x amount of time, you will be popping in and out of the movement turning it into a sort of side lunge, and then hold in place for 15 seconds. Another example would be chaturanga push-ups...brutal!

Overall, I think this DVD is a good workout, but should not be your primary source of exercise. I think she did the best she could to turn yoga into a workout and actually burn a few calories. I gave this DVD 4 stars in relation to how I feel she succeeded in making yoga a WORKOUT, and not in comparison to her other DVDs (which will give you much more of an overall workout and cardio) or traditional yoga DVDs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Called "YOGA MELTDOWN" For A Reason, Feb. 21 2012
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Yoga Meltdown (DVD)
It's called YOGA MELTDOWN for a reason. I've read reviews stating that is isn't "pure" form of yoga, because it isn't.
It's YOGA moves + AEROBIC repetitions... that's what I've gotten from it, and in my opinion, it's a much better workout than what the "purists" may say.

It's absolutely terrific! Instead of JUST yoga, she puts repetitive twists on the moves, to get your heart rate moving, and to get you breaking sweat. After all of the movement, it's still considered "strength training".

I recommend doing this every other day. Strength training is a great way to get lean, but your muscles need time to heal and to relax, (one day in between each workout). This is just for this specific style of workout. I bought her "Extreme Shred" video to do on my off-days of this video, and I LOVE my routine. I get the right amount of everything throughout the week.

I really liked this video, definitely give it a chance. You're muscles will thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars relaxing, Feb. 10 2012
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Yoga Meltdown (DVD)
This video is one of my favorite from jillian michaels. its hard to do but gets the job done. i was sore the first couple day but you get used to it after doing it for about a week. the level one burns about 200 calories and it deffanitly shows it. i usually do this video if im tired and dont feel like going to the gym or to tired for my other jillian michaels video. I give it a 5 star because i have no complaints.

5.0 out of 5 stars not your mama's yoga workout!, Sept. 14 2011
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Yoga Meltdown (DVD)
If you're looking for a thoughtful, serene, tranquil yoga workout, don't buy this. If you are looking for an intense workout that incorporates some awesome yoga moves and want to see results, buy this DVD. At one point in the workout, Jillian says "I'm gonna shred those glutes" and man, she means it. There are two, 30-minute workouts and I can tell you, you will feel it and you will feel good after getting through it. And I expect that if I stick with it, I will see results. Good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Awesome, April 21 2010
Janelle Viney (Alberta CND) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Yoga Meltdown (DVD)
I am a personal trainer and wanted to follow a different trainer for a change and although there are some basic moves in this DVD the total overall work out is awsome! I highly recommend Jillian or Bob's video's.

4.0 out of 5 stars Try Something New, June 26 2011
K. Hart - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Yoga Meltdown (DVD)
I've refusd to try yoga because so many of the people who practice it talk about it like it's a religion not a workout.

Not saying there's not a place for taking Yoga to the next level, but for someone who just wants a workout that's low-impact, stretches out my muscles, and is something new this was perfect.

It's like yoga for the layman.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to begin with, Aug. 24 2013
Marie-Josée Valois (Trois-Rivières, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Yoga Meltdown (DVD)
I'm not really in shape, I bought other Jilian DVDs but I wasn't able to follow. So I began with this one and did it for 2 months almost everyday. It is a very good way to train before doing any other Jilian dvd. I never would have thought I would sweat doing yoga. It is 30 minutes that really works all the body.

Jillian Michaels: Yoga Meltdown
Jillian Michaels: Yoga Meltdown by Jillian Michaels (DVD - 2010)
CDN$ 14.95 CDN$ 7.99