Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 28 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on September 18, 2010
I've been doing yoga for 22 years, but I'm not a purist. If you're used to true yoga (and kind of precious about it!), you may be frustrated by this workout. If you're familiar with yoga (beginner-intermediate level) and want a "power" version of it - more cardio, more reps - you'll like this DVD. I wouldn't call it a "meltdown" but it's definitely "power" [yoga].

There are 2 x 30 minute workouts, Level 1 and 2. I found little difference in challenge between the two, actually, and do both back-to-back, despite the cool down and warm up twice over. As with all Jillian's DVDs, she offers ways to increase and decrease your level of intensity throughout. My only criticism of these workouts is I found that, after a few weeks and after the workouts became less challenging, I reached for them less and less often - which is not the case with some of her other DVDs (Hard Body, Ripped in 30). I don't think this is her strongest effort, but I do think it's a worthwhile DVD for anyone looking to try something new or curious about yoga - a ramped up version of it. If you are beginner or intermediate level in exercise, you will get a very good workout. If you are closer to intermediate-advanced, skip this - you will not be challenged enough. (Try her Extreme Shed & Shred DVD instead.)
on March 8, 2011
If you are looking for a DVD to learn traditional yoga I suggest you look elsewhere. This is not it. This is a workout DVD.

First off, for anyone who is a serious yoga practitioner and bought this DVD, I think it should have been VERY obvious that this was NOT going to be real yoga. I mean, come on, it's Jillian Michaels! Were you really expecting traditional yoga? Being a former yoga practitioner (Ashtanga and Hatha) for several years, when I first saw this DVD I knew that this was going to be a workout and NOT the yoga I used to practice, without even reading any reviews or information on it. It was just so obvious, especially for anyone who knows anything about Jillian Michaels. If anything, I think the whole point of her creating this DVD was so that it wouldn't be traditional yoga.

That said, I have been working out with JM's other dvds for a while now and this one is definitely at a slower pace and not typical JM. However, even after working out with her other DVDs which are at a much higher intensity, I still sweat like crazy and am shaking through most of her "yoga" circuits becuase she is approaching the muscle groups from a different angle. I find this DVD great for in-between high-intensity workout days, but still allowing me to be challenged using a whole different workout method.

Basically, JM takes traditional yoga moves but spins them around to make you feel the burn. For example, instead of (in traditional yoga) going into warrior II and holding for x amount of time, you will be popping in and out of the movement turning it into a sort of side lunge, and then hold in place for 15 seconds. Another example would be chaturanga push-ups...brutal!

Overall, I think this DVD is a good workout, but should not be your primary source of exercise. I think she did the best she could to turn yoga into a workout and actually burn a few calories. I gave this DVD 4 stars in relation to how I feel she succeeded in making yoga a WORKOUT, and not in comparison to her other DVDs (which will give you much more of an overall workout and cardio) or traditional yoga DVDs.
on April 26, 2013
This is not the first dvd from Jillian that I own and used. I also have 30 day shred.

This one is different somehow in the tone Jillian have. She is less try to wanting you to give all that you've got. Instead, she is smiling, and wants you to give yoga a try.

There are 2 routines. I just did the first one, and it is 30 minutes long. The rythm is slow but constant, you practically never stop moving, but it is fluid, and you get to sweat.

If you are new to yoga, you will need to take your time to get some poses right. Some are not easy, but not too much either.

After the sessions, I felt energized.
I think it is a good complement to another training. This one explores different ways of getting in shape, got less impact but is a good workout. It is worth the price.
on February 10, 2013
I am a Jillian Michaels fan! I love her "Ripped in 30" and "30 Day Shred", and being a yoga fan I thought I might try her yoga video! It's a great video! It's not traditional yoga, though many positions are familiar, she adds repetitions in the poses for a cardio burn. There are two levels, but they are both challenging, even after doing this video for awhile, you still work up a sweat and feel a burn! But like her other videos, there is always a modifier. I definitely recommend this video, especially if you want to try something new to switch up your workout regimen.
on April 3, 2014
I have been enjoying this DVD and find it to definitely be twist on traditional yoga. Jillian openly admits that she is not a yoga long time expert. She has incorporated movement into what would more traditionally have been static moves in order to get your heart rate up. I like the workout very much as an alternative to the traditional to keep my workouts interesting.
on April 7, 2013
The title of my review says it all. This is indeed a great workout from a great woman. However it is definitely not for someone beginning to exercise. It kicked my butt more than once and I couldn't get through the whole thing the first few times I did it. But it does get easier.
on July 6, 2011
While none of the moves are different from anything else I've done in yoga (just different names), the frequent transitions between moves and the 30 minute workouts (of which there are 2) sold it for me. Perfect fit for my regimen. It's enough to help keep me oriented to working on my flexibility but not so insane as to turn me off yoga (P90, while challenging, bored me with the same moves over and over or so it seemed).

Pros: Good for a nice, moderately quick flexibility workout with a modest variety of moves for those of us who are flexibility-challenged.

Cons: I find her narration annoying at times. feel free to introduce the move, then quit talking... I'll watch and learn.
on April 23, 2011
This is not your ordinary yoga, so if you are looking for a traditional yoga dvd, look elsewhere. This is Jillian's version on how to use yoga poses to get a long, lean body. Love it!
on February 27, 2013
I enjoy Jillian's twist on a yoga, she speeds moves up and increases repetitions to burn calories and make your muscles ache. I would call this DVD more of a Pilates DVD though.
on September 10, 2015
Tres bon workout. Elle explique des le début que ce n'est pas du yoga traditionnel mais une version modifiée en série comme ses autres workout, alors ceux qui utilisent ça comme critique n'ont aucun point.

Seulement ce n'est pas pour débutant. Meme le niveau 1 est assez soutenu pour quelqu'un comme moi qui vient de commencer sa pratique du yoga. Je n'ai pas encore compléter le programme. Je lui enlève une étoile pour cela. J'aurai
préfèré un programme pour chaque niveau de yogi et ce n'est pas le cas ici.