4.0 out of 5 stars The Game's Afoot!
Published on Oct. 31 2010 by Claire Stemp

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Movie!
Published on Feb. 2 2004 by Calinira

4.0 out of 5 stars The Game's Afoot!, Oct. 31 2010
Claire Stemp (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Mouse Detective (Mystery in the Mist Edition) (Bilingual) (DVD)
As a Sherlock Holmes fan, I found this film utterly delightful. I first saw it when I was a kid, but it's definitely held up over the years. The script is clever and surprisingly funny, with a number of Sherlockian references. I was also very impressed with the cast, especially Barrie Ingham as Basil and Vincent Price as Professor Ratigan. This is a fun-filled romp the whole family can enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Film Still Reels Them In, April 19 2010
Jennifer Bogart "@ Quiverfullfamily.com" (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
With vague, animated memories of certain scenes from Disney's The Great Mouse Detective dancing through my mind, I slipped the newly released Mystery in the Mist DVD edition into my player to share it with a new generation. This old school Disney film (originally released in 1986) combines classic animation with what was then some of the earliest combinations of computer-graphics with hand-drawn characters in some of it's most striking scenes.

My children were quickly immersed in the world of Victorian England, where a society of dignified mousies and nefarious sewer rats exists on miniature scale, complete with their own Queen Mousetoria at Buckingham Palace. When the notorious villain (and nemesis of the city's most notable detective, Basil of Baker Street) Ratigan kidnaps the young Olivia Flaversham's toymaking father, the mystery begins.

Basil ' the Sherlockian deductive genius ' combines his efforts with that of the genteel Dr. David Q. Dawson, as they spin through an ever escalating series of madcap adventures that leads to the uncovering of a scheme to unseat the Queen!

Based on the children's book series Basil of Baker Street by Eve Titus, this feature film seemed to be hinting at sequels to come, which unfortunately never materialized. This digitally restored film continues to captivate children with its nefarious plots and dastardly schemes.

Parents of children who are disturbed by separation anxiety should note the abrupt kidnapping of Olivia's father in the opening scene ' a tension that continues throughout the film. A scene in which Basil and Dawson find themselves in a shore-side pub also includes some can-can style dancing and provocative singing (the yesteryear equivalent of a girlie-bar) which parents may want to be aware of.

The original bonus features, a making of segment and a sing-along feature of 'The World's Greatest Criminal Mind' (sung by the villainous Vincent Price, Ratigan's voice talent) are added to with a brief history of the detective and an introduction to sleuthing in 'So You Think You Can Sleuth.'

This 74-minute film has been enjoying repeated viewings by my older children (my toddler finds it too dark, it is fairly intense). My seven-year-old in particularly is trying to award it 10 out of 5 stars. Not only can it still excite the imaginations of children, but adult devotees of England's most popular fictional detective will also find many inside nods to the realm of Sherlock's London found embedded within the film.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Movie!, Feb. 2 2004
This review is from: The Great Mouse Detective (DVD)
I saw the Great Mouse Detective for the first time in a movie theater and I liked it, it's not as good as the classic Disney movies but it's pretty enjoyable and it's take on Sherlock Holmes is clever. I would recommend this movie to older kids and adults. Some younger children who are just starting to watch movies may find it hard to sit through this one but they just may like it when they are older. I'm glad that the movie on the DVD is presented in widescreen. The second time I watched The Great mouse Detective was on one of those movie channels and it was edited in fullscreen and it just wasn't as impressive as it was in it's original aspect ratio!

5.0 out of 5 stars Flashback to my childhood, March 11 2014
I always loved this movie when I was a kid. The things I have forgotten about this movie came rushing back when I watched it again. Speedy delivery too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Widescreen at Last, Feb. 15 2014
Finally available in the complete widescreen aspect! One of the best last performances of Vincent Price.... ranks up there (and dare I say, surpasses) with his role in The Thief and the Cobbler.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, Feb. 15 2014
Jeanette Laliberty (Erin Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
We had the great mouse detective on VHS wanted it on DVD and amazons had it for sale so we got it

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart, Fun, and just plain excellent!, June 8 2004
This review is from: The Great Mouse Detective (DVD)
My first memory of this movie was when my Dad rented it from the video store for us kids. I don't remember my mother watching it with us, but I do know as a child it fascinated me, and my Dad actually got into it, too. My sister and I were looking to expand our DVD collection of good movies without all the garbage that most "adult" movies have. We thought of this one and found it at Wal-Mart. After watching it again, I can say it was just as thrilling! The voice talent, Vincent Price included (since I am a big Batman fan and enjoyed his rendition of egghead), carried well through the movie without sounding the least bit fakey. The take on a mouse detective named Basil of Baker Street living inside the home of the real Sherlock Holmes is one of the smartest movie ideas ever. The plot never slows. The movie progresses at a good clip and keeps you interested. The humor and climax are totally original. Nothing completely predictable and nothing borrowed here. Adults will love this just as much as kids. It's one of those movies that's simply good all the way through.
KITKA

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the better Disney films of the 1980s., May 24 2004
Ryne Williams (Cleveland, TN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Mouse Detective (DVD)
Full of adventure and mystery, in this film, Disney takes a slightly more sophisticated turn and the outcome is really enjoyable. The film has really nice animation especially the scene atop Big Ben. The voice talent is great, especially the dastardly Vincent Price. The villain is good, and very malicious and powerful. The DVD is really good as well. The movie is in a new letterbox treatment- very nice. I highly reccomend this film for anyone who loves the Disney film genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Under rated Disney Classic, Jan. 10 2004
J. Buettner "Jaws Fan" (Folsom, Ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Mouse Detective (DVD)
How the Great Mouse Detective has not found a wider audience is beyond me. Perhaps it's because adults see the cover of animated mouses and assume it's just for kids, but looks can be decieving. I have screened this movie for several of my adult friends (without kids) with many of them running out and buying a copy for themselves after realizing what a truely enjoyable classic it is.
Although the Little Mermaid has been given the credit for Disney Animation's rise to greatness throughout the 1990's it really began with this teriffic classic. The Great Mouse Detective marks the first effort of Don Musker and Ron Clemants (The directors of The Little Mermaid and Aladdin). Although it has two catchy showtunes it plays more like a detective adventure story than the later musical classics of Disney animation. What sets this film apart is that it is character driven. Each character in the film has quirks and traits that play into the film's plot. The Great Mouse Detective is wildly imaginative and orginal. This film also has perhaps the most thrilling endings in Disney animation too.
So in parting I beg you adults out there without kids to give this little animated tale a chance, I guarentee you will not be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sherlock Holmes - meet Basil of Baker Street, Dec 5 2003
Bruce Gray "gurpsgm" (Shenandoah Valley, VA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Mouse Detective (DVD)
This version of a Sherlock Holmes pastiche written by Eve Titus called "Basil of Baker Street" could not be better.
When a toymaker is kidnapped, his daughter must call upon the services of the greatest detective of the mice. Basil quickly deduces that his arch-enemy, Ratigan (A rat that wants to be a mouse? Who can understand that?) is at it again.
This great Sherlock Holmes type story lends itself well to the Disney animation technique. Basil is enough like Holmes so that anyone who has read or seen even one Holmes story will recognize him. His partner, Dr. Dawson, is so much like Dr Watson that it's almost funny. Ratigan, in the role of Moriarty, makes a great enemy for Basil. Basil gets help while rescuing the toymaker in time for Christmas from his daughter and a cast of mice that have banded together in the London underground. Could this be the start of the "Rodent Rescue Aid Society" as seen in Rescuers and Rescuers Down Under? It's never said outright, but it easily could have been.
Look carefully - there's a quick scene where we see the =real= Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. A cute bit that just added to the charm of this relatively undiscovered Disney classic.
A good way to start children on an appreciation of mysteries. Worth looking at for adding to a library of children's movies, and well worth adding to a collection of Disney classics.

The Great Mouse Detective (Mystery in the Mist Edition) (Bilingual)
CDN$ 15.99 CDN$ 9.97